CSNbbs
(OT) UConn... dropping football? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: (OT) UConn... dropping football? (/thread-902891.html)

Pages: 1 2

(OT) UConn... dropping football? - qwerty1 - 07-15-2020 07:55 AM

I heard through some old contacts in the college athletics world that UConn is seriously discussing the possibility of dropping their football program during the COVID-19 detuning of the college football season in 2020 and possibly 2021. Probably makes the inevitable an easier road to follow during these times.

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - Pony94 - 07-15-2020 08:40 AM

HuskyU is not a reliable source

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - J Coog - 07-15-2020 11:35 AM

UConn has football?

03-confused

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - SMUleopold - 07-15-2020 11:40 AM

shocking

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - TripleA - 07-15-2020 12:35 PM

Who knows? But if everybody who does play goes to a conference only schedule, they won't have many teams to play. I know they have 5 P5 teams scheduled.

IF they do stop playing for 2 years, I don't see how they crank it back up at the FBS level.

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - otown - 07-15-2020 12:56 PM

This will be the perfect excuse to kill the program

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - UConnHusky - 07-15-2020 02:51 PM

(07-15-2020 07:55 AM)qwerty1 Wrote:  I heard through some old contacts in the college athletics world that UConn is seriously discussing the possibility of dropping their football program during the COVID-19 detuning of the college football season in 2020 and possibly 2021. Probably makes the inevitable an easier road to follow during these times.

I know someone in the athletics department who said that they may indeed have some problems trying to play during covid due to scheduling, but that there are no long term plans to drop football or move it to FCS.

Seeing how in our first year of football independence all conferences will likely move to conference only play does seem to indicate that the football program is cursed, though. If you ever want to put a death curse on someone, go to a game at Rentschler Field, scoop up a little dirt from the field into a jar, and then sprinkle the dirt on their car tires. That should do the trick.

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - Tiger1983 - 07-15-2020 03:36 PM

(07-15-2020 12:56 PM)otown Wrote:  This will be the perfect excuse to kill the program

A mercy killing.

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - UConnFB - 07-15-2020 04:37 PM

Mercy killing jokes aside, I have my doubts about this one. I don't think there will be football this fall anyways unless there is serious improvement of the national situation. So if they are dropping it because they can't fill a schedule then that would look stupid because there isn't going to be a season. However UConn doesn't miss many opportunities to look stupid.

If it were true, I think UConn would drop football altogether. FCS doesn't do anything for UConn it would just be another way to lose money and wouldn't add the value that FBS does.

I think by the time we are on the other side of this COVID thing, we will probably see entire schools go away or get absorbed. We might see entire conferences gone or decimated throughout all levels of the NCAA.

As far as athletic depts go, I don't see how many schools in the MAC will keep going with the stunning loss of revenue.

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - coogrfan - 07-15-2020 04:48 PM

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - chess - 07-15-2020 05:52 PM

COVID-19 is great cover to make dramatic changes to athletics. Athletic Departments around the nation are making adjustments and will continue to make adjustments.

COVID may also offer cover to dump any football contracts that require payments if UConn doesn't show. There may be a win-win!

FYI: I am in favor of working with UConn for the season if football is being played. The AAC could help a former conference mate for the year.

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - Digetydog - 07-16-2020 04:24 PM

Tulsa has financial problems. I would not be surprised to see them elect to sit out during the Covid. Keeping players safe and paying for all the medics protocols is expensive.

I hope it doesn’t happen.

UConn, however, should shut down.

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - panite - 07-16-2020 04:35 PM

(07-15-2020 05:52 PM)chess Wrote:  COVID-19 is great cover to make dramatic changes to athletics. Athletic Department around the nation are making adjustments and will continue to make adjustments.

COVID may also offer cover to dump any football contracts that require payments if UConn doesn't show. There may be a win-win!

FYI: I am in favor of working with UConn for the season if football is being played. The AAC could help a former conference mate for the year.

UConn left the conference. They are own their own to sink or swim. There will be plenty of schools looking for games, especially the independents, if the season is played at all. The AAC who they walked away from owes them nothing. If individual AAC schools want to schedule them for an out of conference game then so be it. If the AAC has to follow the other P5 conferences and just play an 8 or 9 game conference schedule then UConn is out. Remember they walked away. They said the conference was hurting their programs and the conference traveling costs where killing their budgets. Let them schedule a bunch of FCS schools if they can't find any FBS schools to play them or sit home this year if no one comes through. 03-nutkick 04-chairshot 05-mafia 05-stirthepot COGS COGS02-13-banana02-13-banana 04-cheers

(OT) UConn... dropping football? - Pony94 - 07-16-2020 04:46 PM

https://twitter.com/alexputterman/status/1283876681778962432?s=21

Randy having to get answers from reporters because his staff doesn’t even know

Need to click and follow thread

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - TIGERCITY - 07-16-2020 05:10 PM

(07-16-2020 04:46 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  https://twitter.com/alexputterman/status/1283876681778962432?s=21

Randy having to get answers from reporters because his staff doesn’t even know

Need to click and follow thread

If that is true --- the governor of Connecticut is actually going to require incoming teams playing UConn to quarantine for 14 days - and UConn players the quarantine for 14 days --- I would say that effectively cancels the season for them.

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - Hurricane Drummer - 07-16-2020 05:48 PM

(07-16-2020 04:24 PM)Digetydog Wrote:  Tulsa has financial problems. I would not be surprised to see them elect to sit out during the Covid. Keeping players safe and paying for all the medics protocols is expensive.

I hope it doesn’t happen.

UConn, however, should shut down.

Our athletic department is alright. The team is on campus. Tulsa is good.

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - WhalerFan - 07-16-2020 09:22 PM

We're gone. Why does anyone on this board care? Why do I care? Our governor is a dolt who worships the moron in New York. I personally don't think there'll be football until the last weekend in September. If the UConn schedule is against all the independents (except the Indiana morons) X2 then so be it. Most classes will be online so they can go to school anywhere. Last I saw our Covid rate for students on campus was 0. That ain't too shabby.

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - Digetydog - 07-17-2020 09:14 AM

(07-16-2020 09:22 PM)WhalerFan Wrote:  We're gone. Why does anyone on this board care? Why do I care? Our governor is a dolt who worships the moron in New York. I personally don't think there'll be football until the last weekend in September. If the UConn schedule is against all the independents (except the Indiana morons) X2 then so be it. Most classes will be online so they can go to school anywhere. Last I saw our Covid rate for students on campus was 0. That ain't too shabby.

As I understand Lamont’s rules, any incoming team would need to quarantine unless they are from the Northeast. That would leave Maine and Army as the only remaining teams. (Didn’t Maine’s conference essentially shut down until Spring?). There is no way you guys play until possibly Spring.

I am doubtful that the AAC will play a full schedule in the Fall, but we are going to give it a college try.

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - Nameless - 07-17-2020 09:44 AM

(07-16-2020 09:22 PM)WhalerFan Wrote:  We're gone. Why does anyone on this board care? Why do I care? Our governor is a dolt who worships the moron in New York. I personally don't think there'll be football until the last weekend in September. If the UConn schedule is against all the independents (except the Indiana morons) X2 then so be it. Most classes will be online so they can go to school anywhere. Last I saw our Covid rate for students on campus was 0. That ain't too shabby.

I ****ing hate Lamont. Clueless moron who has no idea how to lead, just does what will make him look best.

Would give him credit for our Covid rate not skyrocketing after the reopening, but it seems all of New England has kept the rate down. Could be a regional thing.

As far as filling out the schedule goes, yea we may have to play FCS teams like Stony Brook, and CCSU for most of the year. Maybe do a H-H with Army if possible? If we need to quarantine after road games, make the away game the last game of the season.

Gonna be a shite show regardless of what happens. But I agree with panite, we made our own bed. No sense crying about it

RE: (OT) UConn... dropping football? - 8BitPirate - 07-17-2020 10:30 AM

We used COVID to ax some sports that I'm sure we wanted to ax. This would be a very Machiavellian move by UCONN. I applaud.