CSNbbs
News of interest to Vandy fans - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC East Team Talk (/forum-237.html)
+----- Forum: Vanderbilt (/forum-245.html)
+----- Thread: News of interest to Vandy fans (/thread-9025.html)

- 10MAN - 04-30-2003 01:27 AM

Buccaneers trim QBs by two, release wide receiver

April 28, 2003
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers released quarterbacks Shane Matthews and Greg Zolman on Monday just two days after drafting Chris Simms of Texas.

Simms, the 97th pick in the NFL draft, will probably be the fourth quarterback on the defending Super Bowl champions, behind starter Brad Johnson and backups Shaun King and Jim Miller.

A 10-year veteran, Matthews was signed as a free agent in March after being a part-time starter for the Washington Redskins last season. He started seven of the eight games he played last season, finishing with 1,251 yards passing and a career-high 11 touchdown passes.

Matthews has also spent time with the Chicago Bears and Carolina Panthers, playing in 28 games with 22 starts.

Zolman spent one week on Green Bay's practice squad last season before signing with the Bucs on Jan. 31
--------------------------------------------

Even as highly publicized as Simms was/is, I'd still take Zolman before Chrissy.

- REBstill - 04-30-2003 03:41 PM

I believe I would to. The pro D-line and line backers and safeties....maybe some of the managers/trainers will break him in half!

It will be like Custer at Little Big Horn.

- raptorcox - 04-30-2003 03:45 PM

He'll catch on at another Club - trust me.

- Vandy Dandy - 05-05-2003 03:40 PM

I sure hope so.

Chris Simms is a loser. He couldn't win a big game. He came in and got the starting job handed to him even though Major Applewhite totally outplayed him. UT would have won the national championship in 2001 if Major started the whole season. The only reason anyone gives a rats arse about him is because of his last name. Can ya tell I don't like the guy?