CSNbbs
JMU Mention on CNN - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: JMU Mention on CNN (/thread-902227.html)

Pages: 1 2

JMU Mention on CNN - NH/JMU Saxkow - 07-03-2020 05:10 PM

This is not to go into the politics of anything (the thread in the OT section is for that), but JMU did just get a mention on CNN.

Jim Acosta ('93) was interviewing the Richmond mayor, Levar Stoney ('04), for about 5 minutes and talking about the confederate statues and the Redskins. (Again, I will not talk about what they said on those topics...please go to the OT threads for that.)

At the very end, Acosta mentioned that Stoney was a fellow graduate from James Madison University and Stoney responded with a nice "Go Dukes!"

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - Purplehazed - 07-03-2020 06:13 PM

Nice shout out regardless of political affiliation.

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - For the Dukes - 07-03-2020 06:57 PM

Not a big Acosta fan but he definitely is one of our most famous alumni. Happy to have him on air

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - Wear Purple - 07-03-2020 07:32 PM

That’s awesome. Big fan of Acosta and CNN. Great to see the JMU love on display (internationally in fact as often the US feed is broadcast globally depending on time of day...speaking from experience in way too many hotels traveling on biz around the world).

Nice!!!!

Go Dukes!!!

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - Ashby Hall - 07-04-2020 11:13 AM

Acosta is an embarrassment.

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - jmutoml757 - 07-04-2020 11:31 AM

(07-04-2020 11:13 AM)Ashby Hall Wrote:  Acosta is an embarrassment.

I watch him in the WH press briefings and often have that thought, but perhaps this is an example of “no publicity is bad publicity”. While that statement is not always true, he is an alumnus in a high-profile position.

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - HyperDuke - 07-04-2020 11:32 AM

Well Saxkow, can’t say you didn’t try hard!

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - jmutoml757 - 07-04-2020 11:35 AM

(07-04-2020 11:32 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Well Saxkow, can’t say you didn’t try hard!

Credit where due man!
Most of these comments are low-key for a change, and most of us on here recognize the importance of Influential JMU alumni and appreciate the publicity and recognition.

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - HyperDuke - 07-04-2020 12:13 PM

The post you quoted does not use low key language. It’s just a short sentence with an inflammatory opinion stated succinctly.

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - jmutoml757 - 07-04-2020 01:14 PM

(07-04-2020 12:13 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  The post you quoted does not use low key language. It’s just a short sentence with an inflammatory opinion stated succinctly.

I said “most”... duh. Come on hyper. You just don’t like his opinion about Acosta I would guess. I would also guess you probably have no problem with the other post claiming to be a “big fan”. No matter what you think about him, like it or not, JA is political and partisan (at best). My point, we don’t have to agree with him or like him or be fans of his to see the importance to JMU of someone in his position and with his influence . In that sense, we can all appreciate him.

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - HyperDuke - 07-04-2020 01:27 PM

I don’t enjoy Acosta’s work. And I didn’t complain about either comment initially because I’ve seen how folks react on here. You quoted the most inflammatory comment & agreed while lauding that most comments were low-key. Guess I don’t understand the purpose of your post.

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - jmutoml757 - 07-04-2020 01:40 PM

(07-04-2020 01:27 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I don’t enjoy Acosta’s work. And I didn’t complain about either comment initially because I’ve seen how folks react on here. You quoted the most inflammatory comment & agreed while lauding that most comments were low-key. Guess I don’t understand the purpose of your post.

It’s not worth much more time. We can all appreciate JA. He is an alumnus; in that sense we can be appreciative of him and respect his position. However, it is almost impossible to read sax’s post with indifference. JA, whether you feel love/hate/ambivalence toward him, is a polarizing figure. I’m sure Saxkow is altruistic and simply trying to celebrate JMU and the publicity.

I realize that and am trying to find what unites us- JMU. It’s ok if you can’t stand him, love him, or don’t care. We can appreciate his success and the common bond with other Dukes. I am not offended by someone being a big fan or thinking he is a disgrace. If you have to say “not going into politics” when you start a post, well, you can assume it’s heading that way. I am not sure what you were originally saying either; I guess you were disappointed people were polarized. I get that, but I am saying it should have been expected.

Crap, who cares? No matter what, you hate RU. Some things never change. There are absolutes in the world. 04-cheers

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - HyperDuke - 07-04-2020 01:41 PM

If I think someone is an embarrassment, it’s hard to understand how I might think them in the spotlight is positive publicity.

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - HyperDuke - 07-04-2020 01:50 PM

It’s fine. I wasn’t trying to post on this topic at all, but it was disappointing to see Ashby Hall post the way they did after a fairly direct plea to avoid it from OP. I guess they felt they had to provide balance to WP saying he was a fan? Guessing WP felt they had to provide balance to For the Dukes saying they weren’t a fan. I don’t know. Ashby’s post struck me as less beneficial to the thread.

BUT HEY, I’M NOT RAZ FROM CHAZ AND IT’S NOT MY DECISION WHAT IS POSTED. (That joke’s still funny right?)

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - jmutoml757 - 07-04-2020 01:51 PM

(07-04-2020 01:41 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  If I think someone is an embarrassment, it’s hard to understand how I might think them in the spotlight is positive publicity.

I think you get hyperbolic language with a polarizing figure, especially in an emotionally charged environment, and we see that in this thread. In addition, I don’t think seeing someone as an “embarrassment” is mutually exclusive with still being able to appreciate their position and influence. Plus, most of us have the ability to compartmentalize, agree to disagree on some items and find common ground with such figures and one another. We are intelligent enough to do both. I won’t name them, but there are some famous JMU alumni who had great success (which I celebrate and am proud of) who acted in an embarrassing manner at times. We all have JMU friends we enjoy and appreciate who have embarrassed us at times too. I’m sure I am in that group.

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - HyperDuke - 07-04-2020 02:02 PM

I think the ability to compartmentalize is often overused and becomes a justification for having illogical & inconsistent points of view.

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - jmutoml757 - 07-04-2020 03:02 PM

(07-04-2020 02:02 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I think the ability to compartmentalize is often overused and becomes a justification for having illogical & inconsistent points of view.

I’m embarrassed by that take, but I still like you and think you’re awesome because I can compartmentalize. That was hyperbole because I’m emotionally involved -errr I’m illogical and inconsistent.
At any rate , back to OP , I’m not a fan of JA, but I think it’s cool a JMU grad has his success

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - bcp_jmu - 07-04-2020 03:02 PM

He's not an embarrassment because of his politics..its his shoddy work, lack of research, emotional arguments, total lack of impartiality, and disrepect for the office

Otherwise..hell yeah go Dukes!

I hear that Stoney is doing a good job in Richmond

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - HyperDuke - 07-04-2020 03:08 PM

(07-04-2020 03:02 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  
(07-04-2020 02:02 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I think the ability to compartmentalize is often overused and becomes a justification for having illogical & inconsistent points of view.

I’m embarrassed by that take, but I still like you and think you’re awesome because I can compartmentalize. That was hyperbole because I’m emotionally involved -errr I’m illogical and inconsistent.
At any rate , back to OP , I’m not a fan of JA, but I think it’s cool a JMU grad has his success

Why is it an embarrassing take? Overuse & use aren’t the same.

I guess I’m saying compartmentalizing becomes what I posted above when it turns into insults, but not wanting to be held accountable for those insulting words.

RE: JMU Mention on CNN - jmutoml757 - 07-04-2020 03:29 PM

(07-04-2020 03:08 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(07-04-2020 03:02 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  

Why is it an embarrassing take? Overuse & use aren’t the same.

I guess I’m saying compartmentalizing becomes what I posted above when it turns into insults, but not wanting to be held accountable for those insulting words.

Man, I’m joking. I see what you’re saying, I think. It really was hyperbole. Next time we hang out we can beat this dead horse and bring it to life. Right now, we aren’t tracking too well. It’s all good.