CSNbbs
Reds 2020 Season Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+------ Forum: Chris Tipton Off Topic Forum (/forum-638.html)
+------ Thread: Reds 2020 Season Thread (/thread-901989.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Reds 2020 Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 06-29-2020 04:50 PM

Let's crank it up Reds Nation! 60 game season? Yes, but who cares. It's a great sign for us sports starved fans. I believe camps start July 1st and games begin either July 23rd or 24th. News on the Reds camp/roster...

Quote:Reds announce 60 man player pool for upcoming Summer Camp

Earlier today, ahead of the 4 PM deadline, the Cincinnati Reds announced their 60 man player pool that will be returning to Cincinnati for the restart of the Major League Baseball season.

The first list is of 35 players that will be joining the “main” club in Downtown Cincinnati at Great American Ball Park for Spring Training part 2: Summer Camp. The second list is of 22 players that will be reporting to Prasco Park in nearby Mason, Ohio, the site of the team’s “taxi squad.”

Not a ton of surprises here. Aristides Aquino is starting in Mason and not with the main club, which was one of the biggest question marks back during Spring Training part one. The most likely reason for that is the presence of Mark Payton, a Rule 5 draft pick. It’s not incredibly clear to me how this works at this point, but it’s not likely that Payton will be able to be put on that “taxi squad” without first being offered back to the Athletics.

Also missing from each list is Derek Dietrich, which is somewhat interesting. He’s still in the organization.

Other interesting names of note on the Prasco list are Nick Lodolo, Tyler Stephenson, Jose Garcia, Jonathan India, and Stu Fairchild. It’s not likely any of them project to help the Reds this season, but it should be good for the development. At least they’ll still have access to the major league club and trainers in the absence of a minor league season.

Interestingly, Hunter Greene is not currently on the list, which is something Wick touched on last week.

Also, you’ll note that the total number of players only adds up to 57, so there are still a few decisions yet to be made.

Baseball's Baaaaaack

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - RuckleSt - 06-29-2020 09:40 PM

(06-29-2020 04:50 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Let's crank it up Reds Nation! 60 game season? Yes, but who cares. It's a great sign for us sports starved fans. I believe camps start July 1st and games begin either July 23rd or 24th. News on the Reds camp/roster...

Quote:Reds announce 60 man player pool for upcoming Summer Camp

Earlier today, ahead of the 4 PM deadline, the Cincinnati Reds announced their 60 man player pool that will be returning to Cincinnati for the restart of the Major League Baseball season.

The first list is of 35 players that will be joining the “main” club in Downtown Cincinnati at Great American Ball Park for Spring Training part 2: Summer Camp. The second list is of 22 players that will be reporting to Prasco Park in nearby Mason, Ohio, the site of the team’s “taxi squad.”

Not a ton of surprises here. Aristides Aquino is starting in Mason and not with the main club, which was one of the biggest question marks back during Spring Training part one. The most likely reason for that is the presence of Mark Payton, a Rule 5 draft pick. It’s not incredibly clear to me how this works at this point, but it’s not likely that Payton will be able to be put on that “taxi squad” without first being offered back to the Athletics.

Also missing from each list is Derek Dietrich, which is somewhat interesting. He’s still in the organization.

Other interesting names of note on the Prasco list are Nick Lodolo, Tyler Stephenson, Jose Garcia, Jonathan India, and Stu Fairchild. It’s not likely any of them project to help the Reds this season, but it should be good for the development. At least they’ll still have access to the major league club and trainers in the absence of a minor league season.

Interestingly, Hunter Greene is not currently on the list, which is something Wick touched on last week.

Also, you’ll note that the total number of players only adds up to 57, so there are still a few decisions yet to be made.

Baseball's Baaaaaack

I was hoping to see these guys with September roster expansions, but I just checked and that was eliminated this season and going forward. I'm not surprised about Greene considering he is only 1 year removed from Tommy John and was just at Single A.

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 06-30-2020 05:58 PM

Intriguing to have #1 prospect lefty Nick Lodolo make the roster in middle relief.

Quote:Here are some refreshed Reds storylines as the club prepares for the abbreviated regular season.

1. Who fits in the outfield puzzle?
In some ways, this situation has become easier for Bell and the front office to solve. Rosters were expanded to 30 players for Opening Day. Two weeks later, those rosters will be trimmed to 28, and to 26 two weeks after that. The designated hitter rule is in effect for the National League, but that doesn’t entirely help the numbers issue.

Cincinnati appears to have five locks for the outfield (Shogo Akiyama, Nick Senzel, Nick Castellanos, Jesse Winker, Phillip Ervin) and four others (Aristides Aquino, Scott Schebler, Travis Jankowski, Rule 5 Draft selection Mark Payton) competing for spots.

Castellanos and Winker fit the profile at DH, but any position player could rotate through the spot. With the new rule that states extra innings begin with a runner on second base, the speedy Jankowski could be an asset now that he is recovered from the March hamstring injury that set him back. Schebler is out of Minor League options, while Aquino has options remaining. As a Rule 5 Draft player, Payton must stay on the active roster all season or be offered back to the A’s, his former organization.

“The 30-man roster, if you’re a niche player, if you’re just a hitter good against one side, or you’re a pitcher that can give you some length, there are a lot of different variations you can have just to keep an extra guy on your roster,” general manager Nick Krall said. “To be able to have that flexibility is going to play into what we do.”

2. Bullpen decisions more complex, critical
The first five spots of what was to be an eight-man bullpen were likely set, with closer Raisel Iglesias, left-hander Amir Garrett, and right-handers Michael Lorenzen, Pedro Strop and Robert Stephenson. The expanded roster allows for more relievers, but who?

Because starting pitchers aren’t expected to be fully stretched out by Opening Day, their outings will be briefer. That will make middle relief critical to bridge the game to the back end. Depending on how Bell and pitching coach Derek Johnson handle the rotation, some spots could go to starter-depth pitchers Tyler Mahle, Lucas Sims and Sal Romano. The club could also give an opportunity to lefty Nick Lodolo. Ranked the No. 1 prospect in the organization by MLB Pipeline, Lodolo is a future starter but could be useful in long relief.

Non-roster invite Nate Jones had a strong spring, while prospect Joel Kuhnel worked 5 2/3 scoreless innings in five appearances. Cody Reed, who is also out of options, would be a good left-handed choice. Matt Bowman, Justin Shafer and non-roster invite Tyler Thornburg are also in the mix.

3. Injury issues
Just as play was halted, third baseman Eugenio Suárez was about to debut as the DH. It was the latest progress in his return from right shoulder surgery following a pool accident at home in January. Senzel, who underwent surgery on his right shoulder in September, was four games into his return -- all as the DH -- as he continued his throwing program.

Suárez and Senzel are both fully recovered and expected to be ready without limitations. But because of an accelerated camp after a long layoff and a 60-game season sprint awaiting, injuries will be a concern for the entire roster. Of course, an overriding concern above all is players developing COVID-19 symptoms that force them to exit.

4. How do prospects figure into the equation?
Four of the top five Reds prospects -- and a few others in the Top 30 -- are in the 57-man player pool. President of baseball operations Dick Williams expects the team to carry prospects, with the mindset of helping them this season rather than just advancing their development. Lodolo is already in the pitching mix. Catcher Tyler Stephenson (No. 3) could step in if something happens to Tucker Barnhart or Curt Casali. José Garcia (No. 5), who impressed big time at Spring Training, has a big league-ready glove, but he has never played above Class A Advanced. Alfredo Rodriguez (No. 17) also has a big league-ready glove but is a light hitter.

Reds MLB.com

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - Bearhawkeye - 07-01-2020 01:53 AM

I'd be very surprised and even disappointed if we don't see Lodolo at some point this season even without the season-ending expanded rosters.

I saw an interesting article in the Athletic on Jared Hughes. He's unsigned and I'd at least see if I can get him to come back on an incentive-laden contract or even a minor-league deal depending upon how all of this stuff works now. I don't think he has many other options at this point so I think he'd be interested.

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - RuckleSt - 07-01-2020 07:40 AM

(07-01-2020 01:53 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  I'd be very surprised and even disappointed if we don't see Lodolo at some point this season even without the season-ending expanded rosters.

I saw an interesting article in the Athletic on Jared Hughes. He's unsigned and I'd at least see if I can get him to come back on an incentive-laden contract or even a minor-league deal depending upon how all of this stuff works now. I don't think he has many other options at this point so I think he'd be interested.

I like it, we can never have too much reliever depth.

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - Lush - 07-01-2020 09:52 AM

you didn't hear man, there won't be any minor leagues this year and probably fewer billings mustangs in the future. sad day

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - Bearhawkeye - 07-01-2020 10:43 AM

(07-01-2020 09:52 AM)Lush Wrote:  you didn't hear man, there won't be any minor leagues this year and probably fewer billings mustangs in the future. sad day

I did hear about there being no minors this year. I just don't know what type of contracts are allowed right now and what the ramifications are for them.

From what I've read, Chattanooga and Daytona are the ones most likely on the chopping block so Billings might be safe assuming we have minor league ball next year.

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - Bearhawkeye - 07-01-2020 10:49 AM

(07-01-2020 07:40 AM)RuckleSt Wrote:  
(07-01-2020 01:53 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  I'd be very surprised and even disappointed if we don't see Lodolo at some point this season even without the season-ending expanded rosters.

I like it, we can never have too much reliever depth.

Well crap, I guess the Mets read the same article. 03-banghead They just signed him to a 1 year deal and added him to their 40 man roster. Reportedly he's getting a $700K deal which is just $259K prorated to the 60 game season, but he can get up to another $300K (not prorated) if he's on the roster on certain dates. Very smart gamble by them imo.

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 07-02-2020 06:35 PM

Yeah, baby!

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 07-03-2020 09:39 AM

Please Redlegs make this season special for us crazy, loyal, diehards...

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - Lush - 07-03-2020 10:58 AM

does winker dh?

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - Bearhawkeye - 07-03-2020 01:42 PM

(07-03-2020 10:58 AM)Lush Wrote:  does winker dh?

I expect a lot of players to be DH in some games, but my guess is Winker or possibly Castellanos "plays" plays there most often.

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 07-06-2020 09:19 PM

Redlegs open with a seven game home stand.

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 07-09-2020 01:25 PM

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - Bearhawkeye - 07-10-2020 10:41 PM

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 07-11-2020 07:23 PM

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - Bearhawkeye - 07-14-2020 10:20 AM

MLB.com's top 3 rotations in baseball:
1. Nats
2. Rays
3. Your Cincinnati Reds

Plus we've got Mahle if one of them falter and Lodolo might not be too far behind (although they'll probably keep him in the pen this year.)

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 07-14-2020 06:58 PM

My typical preseason sports teams optimism aside, I have not seen this much hype/support for a Reds team since a few seasons ago when Armband Toothpick Whisperer was at the helm. That said, I really believe this team has a chance to take the central this season. The starting rotation 1 thru 5 is top notch, we have depth and flexibility in the pen/long relief/spot starter, and it looks like our offense is more than enough to foot the bill. Is it Opening Day yet?

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 07-16-2020 11:04 PM

I'm buying shares...

RE: Reds 2020 Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 07-17-2020 06:27 PM

Each successive home run was more definitive...