CSNbbs
Oregon/Oregon St Rivalry To Be Renamed From The Civil War - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Oregon/Oregon St Rivalry To Be Renamed From The Civil War (/thread-901823.html)

Oregon/Oregon St Rivalry To Be Renamed From The Civil War - Bronco'14 - 06-26-2020 02:55 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oregon-and-oregon-state-agree-to-remove-civil-war-moniker-from-rivalry-across-all-sports/

It's official

Woke culture is woke

RE: Oregon/Oregon St Rivalry To Be Renamed From The Civil War - GoldenWarrior11 - 06-26-2020 02:59 PM

Sounds like the Civil War got dysentery on The Oregon Trail.

RE: Oregon/Oregon St Rivalry To Be Renamed From The Civil War - XLance - 06-26-2020 03:13 PM

(06-26-2020 02:55 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oregon-and-oregon-state-agree-to-remove-civil-war-moniker-from-rivalry-across-all-sports/

It's official

Woke culture is woke

[Image: emot_stoopsfaceshake.gif]

RE: Oregon/Oregon St Rivalry To Be Renamed From The Civil War - jukeboxhero - 06-26-2020 03:28 PM

Snowflakes

RE: Oregon/Oregon St Rivalry To Be Renamed From The Civil War - Fighting Muskie - 06-26-2020 03:30 PM

So is it going to be the the Snowflake Tofu Bowl now?

RE: Oregon/Oregon St Rivalry To Be Renamed From The Civil War - Hokie Mark - 06-26-2020 03:43 PM

Call it the Duck Hunt.

[Image: duck_hunt_nes.jpg?resize=768%2C432]

RE: Oregon/Oregon St Rivalry To Be Renamed From The Civil War - Captain Bearcat - 06-26-2020 03:49 PM

The Platypus trophy is the greatest trophy in college sports. It's perfect. No other trophy combines both schools' mascots into a third, real mascot. I've always thought they should call it the Platypus Bowl.

I never understood why they called it Civil War. Oregon did almost nothing in the U.S. Civil War. And it's not like the image of any civil war is a healthy one, even between rivals.

Bedlam is a neat word. Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate; that's obviously in jest. Holy War, clearly that's a funny exaggeration. But Civil War just conjures up images of Death and Suffering.

RE: Oregon/Oregon St Rivalry To Be Renamed From The Civil War - Hokie Mark - 06-26-2020 04:01 PM

(06-26-2020 03:49 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  The Platypus trophy is the greatest trophy in college sports. It's perfect. No other trophy combines both schools' mascots into a third, real mascot. I've always thought they should call it the Platypus Bowl.

Agreed. Would be a great name.

Quote:I never understood why they called it Civil War. Oregon did almost nothing in the U.S. Civil War. And it's not like the image of any civil war is a healthy one, even between rivals.

Bedlam is a neat word. Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate; that's obviously in jest. Holy War, clearly that's a funny exaggeration. But Civil War just conjures up images of Death and Suffering.

Don't be so sure COFH is in jest. Have you ever been to Georgia?

RE: Oregon/Oregon St Rivalry To Be Renamed From The Civil War - CheckYosef94 - 06-26-2020 05:17 PM

(06-26-2020 03:49 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  The Platypus trophy is the greatest trophy in college sports. It's perfect. No other trophy combines both schools' mascots into a third, real mascot. I've always thought they should call it the Platypus Bowl.

I never understood why they called it Civil War. Oregon did almost nothing in the U.S. Civil War. And it's not like the image of any civil war is a healthy one, even between rivals.

I don't think the rivalry has anything to do with the American Civil War. Civil wars are not a uniquely American thing. I think it's a play on the literal definition of what constitutes a civil war. "A civil war, also known as an intrastate war in polemology, is a war between organized groups within the same state or country. The aim of one side may be to take control of the country or a region, to achieve independence for a region or to change government policies." Two teams from the same state going at it makes the name Civil War make sense.