CSNbbs
Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? (/thread-901818.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - BigTigerMike - 06-26-2020 01:52 PM

I was wondering if I’m the exception around here. After the coronavirus emergence and shutdown of sports I quit listening except for one time just to see what was being discussed. When I found out it was more coronavirus news I quit listening all together because there’s plenty of news about that everywhere I go. I dared not touch the dial now with the current unrest’s and protest over the unjust killing of George Floyd because I don’t care for a few dimwits exhaustively lecturing people....especially coming from the likes of Caulkins and Parrish.

So what’s going out on the air during these days?

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports radio? - aardWolf - 06-26-2020 01:53 PM

I only listen to pre and postgame sports talk on the radio

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - Browning Hall - 06-26-2020 02:00 PM

I tune in occasionally when driving but quickly tune back out. It’s just a bunch of mindless drivel and gives me a headache.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - JerryJeff - 06-26-2020 02:19 PM

(06-26-2020 01:52 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  I was wondering if I’m the exception around here. After the coronavirus emergence and shutdown of sports I quit listening except for one time just to see what was being discussed. When I found out it was more coronavirus news I quit listening all together because there’s plenty of news about that everywhere I go. I dared not touch the dial now with the current unrest’s and protest over the unjust killing of George Floyd because I don’t care for a few dimwits exhaustively lecturing people....especially coming from the likes of Caulkins and Parrish.

So what’s going out on the air during these days?

Same as you, quit when corona started, tuned in when the NBA was moving towards coming back, only to hear them whining about political garbage. I just listen to spotify at work now.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - BandwagonJumper - 06-26-2020 02:24 PM

i quit a few years ago

satellite is the only way to roll

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - Tiger87 - 06-26-2020 02:59 PM

I was a regular listener on the daily commute. Now, I'm not commuting. I still download the 92.9 podcasts and listen if I'm driving anywhere longer than 15 minutes. I'll look at the lineup for each episode and delete the ones I don't care about (Charles Fishman, Anthony Sain, any of the league or national ESPN guys, etc.). I currently have a backlog of about 20 podcasts - and I've deleted about 67%. Just looking for Tigers content.

I did listen to a great Caulkins interview with Tim McCarver a few weeks ago.

The station and industry has to be struggling, like so many others. Funny, the only one who I feel sorry for is Jason Smith. Without exception - Calkins, John Martin, Jeffrey Wright, Giannotto, GP - the rest of them are pretty unlikable. In production, Bennett Doyle is likable, but Cowboy Carson not so much.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - cmt - 06-26-2020 03:04 PM

(06-26-2020 02:59 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  I was a regular listener on the daily commute. Now, I'm not commuting. I still download the 92.9 podcasts and listen if I'm driving anywhere longer than 15 minutes. I'll look at the lineup for each episode and delete the ones I don't care about (Charles Fishman, Anthony Sain, any of the league or national ESPN guys, etc.). I currently have a backlog of about 20 podcasts - and I've deleted about 67%. Just looking for Tigers content.

I did listen to a great Caulkins interview with Tim McCarver a few weeks ago.

The station and industry has to be struggling, like so many others. Funny, the only one who I feel sorry for is Jason Smith. Without exception - Calkins, John Martin, Jeffrey Wright, Giannotto, GP - the rest of them are pretty unlikable. In production, Bennett Doyle is likable, but Cowboy Carson not so much.

Caulkins and Smith are the only ones on that station. I still don't mind Wolo and Stats, but that might just be the old man I have become remembering Lapides.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - TiggerFan - 06-26-2020 03:46 PM

Bad sports talk is preferable to listening to Drake b!tch every morning.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - AlonsoWDC - 06-26-2020 03:52 PM

I gave up sports talk radio just after high school.

Music or nothing while driving.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - tcountytigerfan - 06-26-2020 04:23 PM

I stopped a few years back - I gave up on 92.9 when GP decided to constantly agitate his audience with endless political commentary. Before that, I gave up on 56 when I realized I had listened to Stats debate himself on who had a better offensive line: the 73 Razorbacks or the 16 Crimson Tide. Good grief

Anyway, I’ve actually found sports more enjoyable without the local talk shows. That’s how bad they had/have gotten. I’m not a “stick to sports” advocate, but I’m also not going to listen to guys steadily bring in political talk (92.9) or stupid, mindless chatter (56). It’s too bad really - the Tigers and Grizz have so many great things happening, 901 soccer, etc and the local shows would rather focus on Trump, random morons on twitter, and daily reminders they were much smarter than their audience.

So bottom line is I haven’t missed it and, in fact, have enjoyed sports even more so without it.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - uskjtc02 - 06-26-2020 05:14 PM

Can’t stand Calkins. He thinks he’s so much smarter than everyone else and can’t leave the political stuff alone.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - tigerlands - 06-26-2020 06:21 PM

Local shows still give huge Memphis Tigers coverage. Coverage we don't get anywhere else. For that reason I still listen. But yes, some of the shows host can be hard to listen to sometimes.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - aTxTIGER - 06-26-2020 06:26 PM

I listen to Calkins segment on Parrish just about every day

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - Tigerx3 - 06-26-2020 06:40 PM

Instead of using this time to increase true investigative reporting and in depth interviews we are getting:

Mood theme music of the day,
Songs with moon in their name,
Songs with the word dance in their name,
Trivia games having nothing todo with sports,
Stories about cute things their kids say do,
Jason and John arguing like couples in a bad marriage,
Fill in your worthless non sports related topic here!
Lazy hosts that think their voices alone can carry the show.

Didn’t think I would ever miss George this much. At least he had an amazing recall of people, games and events he could conjure up.

Agree there are some good 92.9 podcasts.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - memphisike - 06-26-2020 06:59 PM

Ike listens for sports not political opinions
I really don't care about sport show hosts political views
Go into politics and I might have some interest.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - AlonsoWDC - 06-26-2020 07:04 PM

Thanks Ike.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - geosnooker2000 - 06-26-2020 09:51 PM

I tried to listen a couple of days ago. Caulkins was telling me I should be kneeling to people I have never had anything to do with. I turned the dial.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - BigTigerMike - 06-26-2020 09:58 PM

(06-26-2020 09:51 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  I tried to listen a couple of days ago. Caulkins was telling me I should be kneeling to people I have never had anything to do with. I turned the dial.

Really????

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - selleg1 - 06-26-2020 10:24 PM

I didn’t think any show could be worse than the Jeff Weinberger show.
Peter Edmonton and CJ in the mornings are absolutely awful.

RE: Does anyone currently still listen to local sports talk radio? - mapdude - 06-26-2020 10:41 PM

Working remote since March so no commute. Hence no sports talk. I am a better man for it. Ask my wife...