CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NJDuke97 - 10-30-2020 08:12 AM

(10-30-2020 06:59 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  I would also like to understand why JMU built BFS. We have by far the best G5 stadium in the region, maybe anywhere and the best we can get after 15 years of asking why is that "JMU will consider conference invitations."

Is it so wrong to say "We want 1A and are actually trying to make it happen" with out the trailing self sabotage statements like but we are happy where are... and If1 and If2 and If3...

I wish JMU would be more aggressive in their comments about FBS and reframe how they present their football program to one of the best in the country one of the best mid major or non P5 in the country etc rather than an FCS powerhouse. I believe this branding distinction is an important one similar to how UCF and the AAC have tried to brand themselves as different from the rest of the G5.

I wish we could distance ourselves more from The Caa and FCS but I realize that’s a delicate thing too.

I think we know who JMU is- a growing public institution in a growing rural college town. We’re relatively young and have some challenges relative to other Institutions so our growth is gradual and our growth in funding is gradual as well. Philosophically we believe in facilities and a diverse and balanced athletics program that reflects our history and student body.

I’m comfortable with our brand (aside from some the above suggestions as they relate to football) philosophy and identity. I think a bunch of sports fans that align with other schools would be comfortable with it to.

This doesn’t mean that we don’t aspire for bigger things and that the expansion of Bridgeforth was with that long term goal in mind.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Longhorn - 10-30-2020 09:56 AM

(10-30-2020 08:12 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I wish JMU would be more aggressive in their comments about FBS and reframe how they present their football program to one of the best in the country one of the best mid major or non P5 in the country etc rather than an FCS powerhouse. I believe this branding distinction is an important one similar to how UCF and the AAC have tried to brand themselves as different from the rest of the G5.

I wish we could distance ourselves more from The Caa and FCS but I realize that’s a delicate thing too.

I think we know who JMU is- a growing public institution in a growing rural college town. We’re relatively young and have some challenges relative to other Institutions so our growth is gradual and our growth in funding is gradual as well. Philosophically we believe in facilities and a diverse and balanced athletics program that reflects our history and student body.

I’m comfortable with our brand (aside from some the above suggestions as they relate to football) philosophy and identity. I think a bunch of sports fans that align with other schools would be comfortable with it to.

This doesn’t mean that we don’t aspire for bigger things and that the expansion of Bridgeforth was with that long term goal in mind.

All true. It would also help having a $1.3B endowment (ala Liberty U.).

From my perspective JMU is following the correct (if conservative) path concerning athletic ambitions. As the school grows and matures new opportunities will present themselves and despite the howls from the JMU fans who “want what they want, and they want it now” crowd, the best days are ahead.

Right now JMU is facing a terrible deficit of over $30M. The pandemic is playing havoc with the base mission -academics- of the university. It may take several years to recover.

As a parting thought, I’d rather see JMU establish a Med School if it was a choice between funding FBS FB and establishing a professional program. But neither are on the table now, or on the far distant horizon.

Support for JMU is needed now more than at any time in the past 30 years. Don’t let ambitions for FBS FB cloud your love for the institution and what it has meant to you and your current station in life.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Purplehazed - 10-30-2020 10:48 AM

"We’re relatively young and have some challenges relative to other Institutions"

Not specifically asking the poster the said this above and it's a real question.

What challenges does the athletic department at JMU have that peer institutions that have moved to 1A not have? I now our endowments is low but we don't seem to skimp on the athletic budget due to a low endowment.

We already have the facilities, isn't that a major financial challenge resolved?

The football team travels outside "the region" now. Is Maine in the Mid Atlantic, New Hampshire, Albany? These guys are a world apart on facilities.

Is the real reason JMU can't play 1A football due to JMU fully funds women's sports while our peers do not?

We can't play regional G5 football because Madison College graduated female nurses and elementary school teachers in 1965?

I think sports should be funded based on fan support and revenue opportunities, gender or sport should not dictate if other sports can or cannot progress.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NJDuke97 - 10-30-2020 11:29 AM

Well isn’t JMU 60/40 still in terms of mix of female to male- that ratio may be a challenge to what you are looking to accomplish. Also I think the size of the community and media market is a challenge. The booster pool can be a challenge as well. No one will give anyone credit but I think they have navigated the challenges while staying true to their mission pretty effectively - I think when you lack in some areas that world class facilities can compensate. I also think the current model (relatively low cost state school coupled with relatively high student fees to athletics) has helped them max out but yet other posters will probably criticize the model and the people behind it. You work with what you have and I think as objectively as I can be that JMU has done a great job with their sports programs doing just that.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NJDuke97 - 10-30-2020 11:50 AM

One thing I would just add is men’s hoops/ it has been a disaster a d they have done anything but max out there - that’s the black eye but I believe that is changing with the new arena, new coach and more money allocated to coaches.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - bjk3047 - 10-30-2020 12:24 PM

(10-29-2020 08:46 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  seems relevant to the long term health of our student athletes

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1321564452999831553

Exclusive: Cardiologists are finding so few heart issues in athletes they are no longer recommending screenings for most COVID positives.

How emerging data will impact protocols like B1G's 21-day policy.

Barry Alvarez: “It’s time to take a serious look"

This chart, from an article published Monday in
@JAMA_current
, outlines new heart screening recs.

Early data says <1% of athletes who were mildly symptomatic are showing heart abnormalities.

Numbers are in single digits “if we’re finding them at all."

stick to sprots

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - jmufbs - 10-30-2020 12:32 PM

(10-30-2020 09:56 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(10-30-2020 08:12 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I wish JMU would be more aggressive in their comments about FBS and reframe how they present their football program to one of the best in the country one of the best mid major or non P5 in the country etc rather than an FCS powerhouse. I believe this branding distinction is an important one similar to how UCF and the AAC have tried to brand themselves as different from the rest of the G5.

From my perspective JMU is following the correct (if conservative) path concerning athletic ambitions. As the school grows and matures new opportunities will present themselves and despite the howls from the JMU fans who “want what they want, and they want it now” crowd, the best days are ahead.

Right now JMU is facing a terrible deficit of over $30M. The pandemic is playing havoc with the base mission -academics- of the university. It may take several years to recover.

As a parting thought, I’d rather see JMU establish a Med School if it was a choice between funding FBS FB and establishing a professional program. But neither are on the table now, or on the far distant horizon.

Support for JMU is needed now more than at any time in the past 30 years. Don’t let ambitions for FBS FB cloud your love for the institution and what it has meant to you and your current station in life.

Longhorn, you mention that FBS is not "on the far distant horizon." ?
curious as to your source. if this is the official word within those who work in the JMU bubble why not make it public and save everyone the speculation and effort?
Assume this is coming from our president ? AD ? Seems just 4/5 months ago ( after covid struck) that our AD was opening the door to thoughts about a new regional ( G5? ) conference.
This statement you made really concerns me if validated and not just conjecture.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 10-30-2020 12:48 PM

(10-30-2020 12:24 PM)bjk3047 Wrote:  stick to sprots

We all know that only applies to athletes who don't parrot our own views.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Purplehazed - 10-30-2020 12:58 PM

(10-30-2020 12:32 PM)jmufbs Wrote:  
(10-30-2020 09:56 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Longhorn, you mention that FBS is not "on the far distant horizon." ?
curious as to your source. if this is the official word within those who work in the JMU bubble why not make it public and save everyone the speculation and effort?
Assume this is coming from our president ? AD ? Seems just 4/5 months ago ( after covid struck) that our AD was opening the door to thoughts about a new regional ( G5? ) conference.
This statement you made really concerns me if validated and not just conjecture.

It's a fair question. LH knows a few people. It could easily cause JMU fans to question if JMU is involved even in a regional G5 conference at this point or we really are CAA4LYF.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 10-30-2020 01:33 PM

Hampton in the Big South has turned their 2020 season into a cancellation, in addition to other sports being cancelled. This means ODU won't be alone in the Virginia D1 programs to cancel club.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 11-09-2020 12:39 PM

Obvious good news is the vaccine from Pfizer seems effective. I wonder how the administration of vaccines will change the ability of schools to have fans. If the vaccine is administered to the most vulnerable in society, I would guess there would be very little risk associated with full capacity events.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - jmu98 - 11-09-2020 01:00 PM

(11-09-2020 12:39 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Obvious good news is the vaccine from Pfizer seems effective. I wonder how the administration of vaccines will change the ability of schools to have fans. If the vaccine is administered to the most vulnerable in society, I would guess there would be very little risk associated with full capacity events.

Great sign for starting in the fall season next year, but not sure it changes much until then for colleges. Depending on timing could help MLB and maybe NBA/NHL later in seasons.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 11-09-2020 01:04 PM

(11-09-2020 01:00 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  
(11-09-2020 12:39 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Obvious good news is the vaccine from Pfizer seems effective. I wonder how the administration of vaccines will change the ability of schools to have fans. If the vaccine is administered to the most vulnerable in society, I would guess there would be very little risk associated with full capacity events.

Great sign for starting in the fall season next year, but not sure it changes much until then for colleges. Depending on timing could help MLB and maybe NBA/NHL later in seasons.

why not for spring sports and late college basketball season? They are talking about a late november roll out. If our most vulnerable population is vaccinated by mid december, we could have march madness with fans, no?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMU - 11-09-2020 01:08 PM

First, I am not a Trump chest pounder. Second, it is a bit interesting that one day after Biden wins the election, a promising vaccine is announced. Are we all sheep. This probably belongs on the other board.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 11-09-2020 02:51 PM

Will have little effect until the end of next year at the earliest.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Longhorn - 11-09-2020 03:30 PM

(11-09-2020 02:51 PM)Dukester Wrote:  

Will have little effect until the end of next year at the earliest.

Yep. While encouraging news, there are a number of hurdles yet to be cleared, not the least is the manufacturing, distribution and administration of hundreds of millions of doses. This vaccine will not save Spring sports.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - LovethoseDukes - 11-09-2020 03:32 PM

While the news is very promising today from Pfizer, all indications are that the vaccine will not be in full production/distribution until the middle of next year at the earliest, so I would not hold out any hopes that it would help this year's teams.

If/when the vaccine is ready for distribution, I sincerely hope that my retirement community residents and my retirement community nurses will be in line in front of any kind of athlete.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - jmu98 - 11-09-2020 03:58 PM

(11-09-2020 01:04 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  

why not for spring sports and late college basketball season? They are talking about a late november roll out. If our most vulnerable population is vaccinated by mid december, we could have march madness with fans, no?

Why do you think that the vaccine will be ready in a month? Reasonable time for distribution of first 50 million doses (worldwide) is maybe mid January. Will not be enough to vaccinate everyone who needs it along with all frontline workers. If some of the others are successful soon then maybe we get all of those people vaccinated by mid 2021. The other thing with this vaccine and the Moderna one is that they need to be kept at a ridiculously low temp which makes the distribution harder that a normal vaccine which just needs to be refrigerated.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMU2004 - 11-10-2020 10:16 AM

(11-09-2020 03:58 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  
(11-09-2020 01:04 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  

Why do you think that the vaccine will be ready in a month? Reasonable time for distribution of first 50 million doses (worldwide) is maybe mid January. Will not be enough to vaccinate everyone who needs it along with all frontline workers. If some of the others are successful soon then maybe we get all of those people vaccinated by mid 2021. The other thing with this vaccine and the Moderna one is that they need to be kept at a ridiculously low temp which makes the distribution harder that a normal vaccine which just needs to be refrigerated.

Also require 2 doses, so that 50 million is really 25 million.

It's fantastic news. But we've got some of the darkest days ahead of us before the light at the end.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - BDKJMU - 11-10-2020 01:46 PM

(10-30-2020 10:48 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  "We’re relatively young and have some challenges relative to other Institutions"

Not specifically asking the poster the said this above and it's a real question.

What challenges does the athletic department at JMU have that peer institutions that have moved to 1A not have? I now our endowments is low but we don't seem to skimp on the athletic budget due to a low endowment.

We already have the facilities, isn't that a major financial challenge resolved?

The football team travels outside "the region" now. Is Maine in the Mid Atlantic, New Hampshire, Albany? These guys are a world apart on facilities.

Is the real reason JMU can't play 1A football due to JMU fully funds women's sports while our peers do not?

We can't play regional G5 football because Madison College graduated female nurses and elementary school teachers in 1965?

I think sports should be funded based on fan support and revenue opportunities, gender or sport should not dictate if other sports can or cannot progress.
Not for much longer with Maine, if you missed it last month.
https://www.wabi.tv/2020/10/07/umaine-receives-largest-single-donation-ever-for-athletics-from-harold-alfond-foundation/

FWIW quick wiki check Albany had a 24 million $$ stadium renovation/expansion completed 2013, and UNH had a 25 million $$ stadium renovation/expansion completed 2015.