CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 10-20-2020 12:17 PM

Apologies in advance if this has already been posted in this thread or on the board some place, but I missed it when announced a few weeks ago. That is, the NCAA D1 approved schedules for fall sports in spring 2021...

https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2020-09-16/ncaa-di-council-approves-moving-fall-championships-spring

From the article...

Men’s soccer
Action at the finals site for the Men’s College Cup is May 13-17. The bracket will consist of 36 teams, with 24 automatic qualifiers and 12 at-large selections.

The normal bracket size for the sport is 48, with four teams advancing to the finals site.

Regular-season competition can be played Feb. 3-April 17, with selections on April 18.

Women’s soccer
Action at the finals site for the Women’s College Cup is May 13-17. The bracket will consist of 48 teams, with 31 automatic qualifiers and 17 at-large selections.

Normally, the bracket size for the women’s soccer championship is 64 teams, with four teams advancing to the finals site.

Regular-season competition can be played Feb. 3-April 17, with selections on April 18.

Women’s volleyball
The finals site of the championship is scheduled for April 23-25, with a 48-team bracket. Thirty-two of the teams will be automatic qualifiers, with 16 at-large selections.

The normal bracket size for the championship is 64 teams.

Regular-season play will span from Jan. 22-April 3, with selections April 4.

I also see unrelated to JMU that Men's Water Polo will begin Jan. 16th. In the words of George Carlin (GRHS!)... "water polo isn't a sport and it is incredibly cruel to the horses" Rimshot

Soccer season starting Feb. 3rd for both MSOC and WSOC. That is going to be some potentially/likely frigid matches. And, I can only guess MSOC powerhouses like Indiana and others in the Big 10+4 will be looking to play events in the south or out west...or, more likely to begin their seasons a bit later than early or even late February.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Polish Hammer - 10-20-2020 08:19 PM

(10-20-2020 08:43 AM)Potomac Wrote:  
(10-19-2020 08:25 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(10-19-2020 10:55 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Towsons whole team should transfer. This is such garbage
They seemed to be overwhelmingly in favor of the cancellation.

I laughed when I first read that because I knew there was no way that was true.

Players are competitive and you're kidding yourself if you think most of them truly want to just cancel a season and go one year and nine and half months without playing any football.
I agree most players are competitive and probably want to play, but you have to wonder if they lost the locker room and this was in the works for awhile. Their RB bolted 2 months ago and the QB that they were getting as a transfer in from Weber State skipped off to another school without showing up.

If I’m the Head Coach and the players really were overwhelmingly against playing then I’m absolutely pissed and questioning the heart of my locker room.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Hart Foundation - 10-24-2020 09:03 AM

The salt continues to get poured into the open wound. With today’s games, 117 colleges are playing D1 football in the Fall. When the PAC 12 and MAC start next week, there will be 141 colleges playing football in the Fall.
Somehow JMU has the 63rd largest athletic budget, but is sitting on the sidelines and forfeiting the Fall.

Programs with 1/3 the athletic budget of JMU are finding a way to get it done successfully. Does Alger even notice? Does he care? As per the norm, he will not respond because his “shrewd” decision making is so far out in left field that he can’t talk his way out of his mess.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Polish Hammer - 10-24-2020 09:53 AM

(10-24-2020 09:03 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  The salt continues to get poured into the open wound. With today’s games, 117 colleges are playing D1 football in the Fall. When the PAC 12 and MAC start next week, there will be 141 colleges playing football in the Fall.
Somehow JMU has the 63rd largest athletic budget, but is sitting on the sidelines and forfeiting the Fall.

Programs with 1/3 the athletic budget of JMU are finding a way to get it done successfully. Does Alger even notice? Does he care? As per the norm, he will not respond because his “shrewd” decision making is so far out in left field that he can’t talk his way out of his mess.
Easy to blame Alger for everything, but Bourne is the AD. Did you not notice they tried to piece together a fall schedule with no luck? Who are we going to play? We’re playing in the spring when championships are on the line, so these games would merely be to appease some fans, the same fans that can’t come to the games now and don’t go to the playoff games anyway. And “programs are finding a way to get it done successfully? Those programs are taking a huge hit by playing but are doing it so the program doesn’t take an even bigger hit recruiting-wise etc... due to their peers playing. Our peers are not playing, they’re playing in the spring.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMURocks - 10-24-2020 10:34 AM

(10-24-2020 09:53 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  Did you not notice they tried to piece together a fall schedule with no luck? Who are we going to play? We’re playing in the spring when championships are on the line, so these games would merely be to appease some fans, the same fans that can’t come to the games now and don’t go to the playoff games anyway. And “programs are finding a way to get it done successfully? Those programs are taking a huge hit by playing but are doing it so the program doesn’t take an even bigger hit recruiting-wise etc... due to their peers playing. Our peers are not playing, they’re playing in the spring.

A lot of false assumptions above ... I attend nearly every game, including playoffs and NCs. Have been to every NC game.

Not saying we should have or could have played a full slate, but 2 or 3 games in the fall would have been nice, or even just the away game at UNC. If possible, I would have traveled for that or watched on TV. And I doubt I'm the only one like this. It would have given the team more practice time and helped them be more prepared for the spring. NDSU will have a slight edge there. Also our recruiting "peers" are not just CAA teams at this point, and some of them are playing.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Polish Hammer - 10-24-2020 11:23 AM

False assumptions? What would a fall season be played for? The diehards like yourself that can’t attend in person? It would merely be exhibition since the championship is awarded in the fall. They tried to piece a schedule together and couldn’t. Also, hindsight is always 20-20, so how can you make a schedule and at that time not know how many games you can schedule that wouldn’t interfere or negate eligibility for the actual spring season? What if they scheduled 8 games and found out they can’t play that many and then needed to pay buyouts? NDSU played one game to showcase 2 top NFL recruits. Tell me one FCS peer whose fall scheduled you’d love to have? We’d be lucky to get games and would almost all be road games at a FBS school. And yeah as a team that lost so much from last season and don’t know who the QB will be should’ve kept the UNC game, a top 20 program that like it or not would’ve done more to ruin the psyche of the players than make the diehards like yourself feel good about watching a game in the fall. And again, what would those games accomplish? Would you be ok playing Campbell and losing Fornadel or Greene or somebody else to injury for when the real season starts? Two or three would’ve been nice, but do you realize the additional costs with increased in season testing for a school/program facing a large budget crunch? It’s not not like pulled a Towson State and punted on the sport for a year.

PS: as for “Also our recruiting "peers" are not just CAA teams at this point, and some of them are playing” was clearly taking liberties with my words when I was obviously addressing peers as in league members or those on the same level. Ohio State wasn’t going to miss the season and see Alabama take an edge in recruiting because they’re supposed to be on the same level yet one is sitting out. Even the MAC changed their mind because they couldn’t continue to pretend they’re on that level yet look bush league in taking the fall off when the rest of FBS is playing. That we recruit against or spend like some FBS programs wasn’t the point, that we are CAA and FCS was.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NJDuke97 - 10-24-2020 12:39 PM

Jacksonville State wound up doing a solid job with their 4 game schedule. 4 games 2 FCS 2FBS. They went 3-1 and their two FBS games were to Florida State and G5 FIU who they beat. It worked out for them - we didn’t have the extra winnable G5 with a local school that we could get though. Charlotte, ODU ECU etc didn’t want to play us. I didn’t see App State on the public list I wonder if we weren’t interested in playing them or if it was apparent that they didn’t have an opening? I would have signed for the Jacksonville state schedule in hindsight. I think part of the problem was when JMU pulled the cord things were still very fluid of who was in and who was out. I think it’s fair to say that they could have waited longer and it’s possible it could have worked out but also possible that it wouldn’t have amounted to much.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukeman2 - 10-24-2020 02:37 PM

(10-24-2020 12:39 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Jacksonville State wound up doing a solid job with their 4 game schedule. 4 games 2 FCS 2FBS. They went 3-1 and their two FBS games were to Florida State and G5 FIU who they beat. It worked out for them - we didn’t have the extra winnable G5 with a local school that we could get though. Charlotte, ODU ECU etc didn’t want to play us. I didn’t see App State on the public list I wonder if we weren’t interested in playing them or if it was apparent that they didn’t have an opening? I would have signed for the Jacksonville state schedule in hindsight. I think part of the problem was when JMU pulled the cord things were still very fluid of who was in and who was out. I think it’s fair to say that they could have waited longer and it’s possible it could have worked out but also possible that it wouldn’t have amounted to much.

Yes, the entire system is rigged against JMU.

Rather than showing any responsibility, our administration has both distanced itself from decisions and is now attempting to blame others. This is not leadership.

NJ Duke97 8/10/20

“this season will be canceled everywhere, across the board”

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NJDuke97 - 10-24-2020 03:14 PM

(10-24-2020 02:37 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  
(10-24-2020 12:39 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Jacksonville State wound up doing a solid job with their 4 game schedule. 4 games 2 FCS 2FBS. They went 3-1 and their two FBS games were to Florida State and G5 FIU who they beat. It worked out for them - we didn’t have the extra winnable G5 with a local school that we could get though. Charlotte, ODU ECU etc didn’t want to play us. I didn’t see App State on the public list I wonder if we weren’t interested in playing them or if it was apparent that they didn’t have an opening? I would have signed for the Jacksonville state schedule in hindsight. I think part of the problem was when JMU pulled the cord things were still very fluid of who was in and who was out. I think it’s fair to say that they could have waited longer and it’s possible it could have worked out but also possible that it wouldn’t have amounted to much.

Yes, the entire system is rigged against JMU.

Rather than showing any responsibility, our administration has both distanced itself from decisions and is now attempting to blame others. This is not leadership.

NJ Duke97 8/10/20

“this season will be canceled everywhere, across the board”

I’m attempting to be fair about a difficult issue/decision for JMU and you keep attributing a quote to me that I can’t locate as something I ever said.

You keep on being you man.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 10-24-2020 03:30 PM

If it made it into the Dukeman Word document of quotes, it is fact.

Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 10-26-2020 08:45 AM

Some posts were deleted that appeared to be a blossoming pissing match on what decisions people should make when it come to Covid health situations.

I know the election is a week away and this topic is everywhere, but once again let's keep discussions on validity of Covid, or how wise the decisions individual athletes make in regards to Covid off this main JMU sports board. There was an off topic thread set up a few weeks ago especially for this topic.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 10-26-2020 10:14 AM

Curt Cignetti said in a recent zoom press conference meeting that he's confident from what he's heard that all remaining CAA programs are committed to playing in the spring. Towson appears to be the one off.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - For the Dukes - 10-26-2020 10:54 AM

(10-26-2020 10:14 AM)Potomac Wrote:  Curt Cignetti said in a recent zoom press conference meeting that he's confident from what he's heard that all remaining CAA programs are committed to playing in the spring. Towson appears to be the one off.

Thats great news - I hope Cig is right. It should be a fun season and I definitely look forward to playing some of our conference peers in the south - most excited for the game vs UD.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Deez Nuts - 10-26-2020 11:01 AM

from the schedule I've heard about, if we're not 8-0 we might have concerns. Should be a good spring practice for the fall.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - For the Dukes - 10-26-2020 11:38 AM

(10-26-2020 11:01 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  from the schedule I've heard about, if we're not 8-0 we might have concerns. Should be a good spring practice for the fall.

I honestly don't disagree with building an easy schedule this spring. I think due to the lack of a conference championship game and the way playoff qualifiers are, we need to do what we can to ensure our record is as good as it can be.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 10-26-2020 12:25 PM

(10-26-2020 11:38 AM)For the Dukes Wrote:  
(10-26-2020 11:01 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  from the schedule I've heard about, if we're not 8-0 we might have concerns. Should be a good spring practice for the fall.

I honestly don't disagree with building an easy schedule this spring. I think due to the lack of a conference championship game and the way playoff qualifiers are, we need to do what we can to ensure our record is as good as it can be.

My odds would be

8 wins 37%
7 wins 43%
6 wins 16%
Below 6 wins 4%

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 10-26-2020 12:43 PM

Have you received any indication what we're waiting on at this point? One would've hoped that knowing the Towson news, that Plan B scheduling should've been written up and ready to run by programs within a matter of days at most.

I'm guessing we're waiting on the CAA but I'm wondering what they're waiting on. Maybe a few schools are squabbling over match up X and Y on X and Y date instead of on A and B date...

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 10-27-2020 07:17 AM

Bethune-Cookman in the MEAC has announced that they are cancelling all university sponsored varsity sports in the 2020-2021 academic year. Obviously this means their football season is also cancelled and won't be playing in the spring.

I feel for all the student athletes who wasted the last seven months there thinking they'd be able to compete just to have this rug ripped out from under them.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 10-27-2020 08:15 AM

Since they’re headed to the SWAC, I wonder how many other SWAC schools will do this.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - jmudukes001 - 10-27-2020 08:25 AM

Good news for Liberty football again this week...

Liberty at VA Tech on 11/7 picked up by the ACC Network. Being billed as the state championship. Will see if Liberty (!) is the best team in VA and can beat Tech.

Their QB is a transfer from Auburn who threw for seven TDs last week and made national awards lists again.

They also just got a verbal commitment from their highest rated recruit ever. A 4-star guy from Georgia who supposedly had interest and offers from small schools like Alabama, Oklahoma and Penn State. Their 2021 recruiting class is strong.

Incredible and Really like the path that Liberty is on. Hope we are taking notes. They are filling up their schedule with ACC and SEC games each year, and some ACC teams will visit Liberty. This is exactly what I have wanted us to do.

A win over Tech will get them into the Top 25. Will be interesting to see the odds for the game when they are released next week.

It is almost painful to write all of this while we continue to talk about Robert Morris and Towson.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/newsadvance.com/sports/college/liberty_university/liberty-lands-highest-rated-football-recruit-kickoff-time-against-virginia-tech-set/article_ca39f90d-77f2-5d5a-8939-bb45e7d0dc5d.amp.html