CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - BDKJMU - 10-02-2020 02:03 PM

(10-02-2020 10:24 AM)jmufbs Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 08:51 AM)JMUsince89 Wrote:  
(09-29-2020 03:53 PM)Potomac Wrote:  FWIW, I read an article the other day that attempted to catalogue all the FBS level capacity restrictions and it seemed that nationwide, 25% appears to be the maximum. Obviously some are going lower. 20%-15%. Some are saying no fans for at least the first month or two. Some have said no fans all season.

UVA and Tech are both no fans except family of players only, capped at a max of 1k people.

That gives us a ball park idea if JMU did go through with it.

Ralph has limited crowds to 250 people how do you put a 25% capacity in that one. Do State owned university's just get to make their own rules up?

Further to this line of thought - Yes RALPH has decided the magic maximum number for gatherings in VA, and he alone will be the only one to change that.
JMU / VPI and UVA all must abide by his order unless they can get an exception approved. Perhaps we can hold a protest on saturdays at BFS this spring :)
If he is still dug in on this cap in the spring, how do any CAA schools justify the expense of playing with no ticket/ tv or concession revenue ?
State mandates on attendence kill the CAA schools (mostly JMU) - ACC schools have TV revenue.
just my opinion, but i see this spring football season as far from a guarantee.
The 250 # makes zero sense. You mean you could have 250 people in a say 1k seat stadium, but couldn't have even have 5k or even 1k people in a 25k (or 60-70k for that matter) stadium?

Its shouldn't be a set #. It should be a set %, like 20%, 30%, whatever.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 10-02-2020 02:40 PM

I agree. That flat number may have thought behind it, but I question the logic for highly controlled outdoor stadium scenarios.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 10-02-2020 02:46 PM

(10-02-2020 02:40 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I agree. That flat number may have thought behind it, but I question the logic for highly controlled outdoor stadium scenarios.

There's a long time between now and spring football. The ultimate # or percentage will be based on how the next 3-5 months go.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 10-02-2020 04:03 PM

(10-02-2020 02:46 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 02:40 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I agree. That flat number may have thought behind it, but I question the logic for highly controlled outdoor stadium scenarios.

There's a long time between now and spring football. The ultimate # or percentage will be based on how the next 3-5 months go.

For sure. I’m not worried about that for JMU’s spring season right now. I was mainly offering commentary on that being in effect for other sporting events going on right now.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - lingerba - 10-02-2020 07:16 PM

(10-02-2020 02:03 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(09-29-2020 03:53 PM)Potomac Wrote:  FWIW, I read an article the other day that attempted to catalogue all the FBS level capacity restrictions and it seemed that nationwide, 25% appears to be the maximum. Obviously some are going lower. 20%-15%. Some are saying no fans for at least the first month or two. Some have said no fans all season.

UVA and Tech are both no fans except family of players only, capped at a max of 1k people.

Ralph has limited crowds to 250 people how do you put a 25% capacity in that one. Do State owned university's just get to make their own rules up?

Further to this line of thought - Yes RALPH has decided the magic maximum number for gatherings in VA, and he alone will be the only one to change that.
JMU / VPI and UVA all must abide by his order unless they can get an exception approved. Perhaps we can hold a protest on saturdays at BFS this spring :)
If he is still dug in on this cap in the spring, how do any CAA schools justify the expense of playing with no ticket/ tv or concession revenue ?
State mandates on attendence kill the CAA schools (mostly JMU) - ACC schools have TV revenue.
The 250 # makes zero sense. You mean you could have 250 people in a say 1k seat stadium, but couldn't have even have 5k or even 1k people in a 25k (or 60-70k for that matter) stadium?

I completely agree that it should be a percentage of capacity. The other thing to keep in mind is that right now the City of Harrisonburg has a tighter restriction of 50 people in one location. I am sure they would modify this if/when we can have some live sports, but for right now that's the number.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMURocks - 10-03-2020 07:05 AM

(10-02-2020 07:16 PM)lingerba Wrote:  

I completely agree that it should be a percentage of capacity. The other thing to keep in mind is that right now the City of Harrisonburg has a tighter restriction of 50 people in one location. I am sure they would modify this if/when we can have some live sports, but for right now that's the number.

While I'm pretty sure JMU would coordinate with the city on this, I have a technical question/curiousity:

Does JMU pay city taxes and act as part of its official jurisdiction? Wondering since I believe JMU has its own Zip Code, Telephone company, Police force, etc. I'm not clear if large state colleges are their own town/jurisdiction or considered a part of the city. Can the city mandate rules for what occurs on campus? Not just for covid, but in general. Don't recall H'Burg police ever on campus to enforce city rules, and not clear if JMU police enforce city rules or just state ones.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMaddy - 10-03-2020 08:16 AM

(10-03-2020 07:05 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 08:51 AM)JMUsince89 Wrote:  Ralph has limited crowds to 250 people how do you put a 25% capacity in that one. Do State owned university's just get to make their own rules up?

While I'm pretty sure JMU would coordinate with the city on this, I have a technical question/curiousity:

Does JMU pay city taxes and act as part of its official jurisdiction? Wondering since I believe JMU has its own Zip Code, Telephone company, Police force, etc. I'm not clear if large state colleges are their own town/jurisdiction or considered a part of the city. Can the city mandate rules for what occurs on campus? Not just for covid, but in general. Don't recall H'Burg police ever on campus to enforce city rules, and not clear if JMU police enforce city rules or just state ones.

I think JMU is like the Vacatin City in Rome. While physically located inside Harrisonburg it is its own jurisdiction.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - BleedingPurple - 10-03-2020 03:07 PM

(10-03-2020 08:16 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 10:24 AM)jmufbs Wrote:  Further to this line of thought - Yes RALPH has decided the magic maximum number for gatherings in VA, and he alone will be the only one to change that.

I think JMU is like the Vacatin City in Rome. While physically located inside Harrisonburg it is its own jurisdiction.

This is interesting conversation

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Longhorn - 10-03-2020 05:49 PM

(10-03-2020 03:07 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(10-03-2020 08:16 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 02:03 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  The 250 # makes zero sense. You mean you could have 250 people in a say 1k seat stadium, but couldn't have even have 5k or even 1k people in a 25k (or 60-70k for that matter) stadium?

This is interesting conversation

As a state owned enterprise, JMU does not pay city taxes, nor is it limited by city codes. JMU typical cooperates, but is not bound by Municpal rules and regulations.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports - Wear Purple - 10-05-2020 10:09 AM

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops

Sources: Men’s basketball oversight committee set to meet today. Among the topics:

- Whether basketball players/winter sports should receive an additional season of competition.

- Whether to change parameters of 27-game limit. Right now have to play in an MTE to get to 27.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 10-05-2020 07:35 PM

(10-05-2020 10:09 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops

Sources: Men’s basketball oversight committee set to meet today. Among the topics:

- Whether basketball players/winter sports should receive an additional season of competition.

- Whether to change parameters of 27-game limit. Right now have to play in an MTE to get to 27.

Nothing released about whether hoops players will get an additional season of competition, but the NCAA did release (or really just reaffirm) their stance on MBB and WBB Hoops scheduling... https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/basketball-oversight-committees-maintain-maximum-contest-limitations

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMURocks - 10-07-2020 10:18 PM

MH with a great chin diaper look, although I think he prefers it as a scarf.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 10-08-2020 08:48 AM

I just realized how much Houston is so similar in appearance and coaching style as my high school coach. That is a compliment to both. In high school my senior year we only lost one game all year, and that was a close one to runner up in VA.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - For the Dukes - 10-08-2020 09:22 AM

(10-07-2020 10:18 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  MH with a great chin diaper look, although I think he prefers it as a scarf.

Sounds like our former coach who won a national title here is occupying quite a bit of free real estate in your head....

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 10-09-2020 11:05 AM

(10-02-2020 08:51 AM)JMUsince89 Wrote:  Ralph has limited crowds to 250 people how do you put a 25% capacity in that one. Do State owned university's just get to make their own rules up?

False. Here's the Phase 3 guidelines to read up on.

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/governor-of-virginia/pdf/Forward-Virginia-Phase-Three-Guidelines---8-21-2020.pdf

Maximum is 1,000 persons at sporting event venues.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 10-09-2020 12:11 PM

I agree with others that the guidelines do not make sense to put a specific maximum number and not make it % capacity based.

For example, the current guidelines would allow a 2,000 seat facility to host 1,000 persons because it is 50% capacity and also equal to the 1,000 maximum. Meanwhile, a 25,000 or 60,000 seat football stadium with far more room to afford for spacing has to follow the same maximum guideline.

A patron would be at more risk to covid exposure in a 2,000 seat facility at half capacity.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMURocks - 10-09-2020 12:48 PM

Suspect part of the problem is they are trying to come up with universal rules for gathering sizes in different phases, regardless of the venue/event.

They likely don’t want 10,000 for instance showing up for a concert right now, how would you really ensure spacing? And an outdoor location could claim they have capacity for 50,000 or more, but everyone would crowd toward the stage.

Football stadiums aren’t quite the same though, especially those designed to handle very large crowds. 10,000 at a 50,000 capacity stadium is a lot more spaced out than the same crowd at a concert.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - ShadyP - 10-09-2020 02:05 PM

(10-09-2020 12:48 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  Suspect part of the problem is they are trying to come up with universal rules for gathering sizes in different phases, regardless of the venue/event.

They likely don’t want 10,000 for instance showing up for a concert right now, how would you really ensure spacing? And an outdoor location could claim they have capacity for 50,000 or more, but everyone would crowd toward the stage.

Football stadiums aren’t quite the same though, especially those designed to handle very large crowds. 10,000 at a 50,000 capacity stadium is a lot more spaced out than the same crowd at a concert.

Right on the money and that is the problem with everything out of Northam since March.....he wants a one size fits all approach for any locality in the state vs letting localities make decisions that make sense for their situation.

For example why in the hell would Martinsville Speedway even bother with the hassle for allow 1,000 fans.....makes no sense in an 80,000 seat speedway.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 10-09-2020 02:14 PM

(10-09-2020 02:05 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(10-09-2020 12:48 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  Suspect part of the problem is they are trying to come up with universal rules for gathering sizes in different phases, regardless of the venue/event.

Right on the money and that is the problem with everything out of Northam since March.....he wants a one size fits all approach for any locality in the state vs letting localities make decisions that make sense for their situation.

For example why in the hell would Martinsville Speedway even bother with the hassle for allow 1,000 fans.....makes no sense in an 80,000 seat speedway.

Because the more opportunities you take to bring back fans, the likely quicker
transition to more fans will be.

For the record;

Bristol Motor Speedway (Saturday)

Roughly 30,000 fans are expected. The track sold out its ticket availability. Fans will also be allowed for the Xfinity race.

Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Sept. 27)

The track announced Sept. 18 that no fans will be permitted for any of its races.

Talladega Superspeedway (Oct. 4)

Reduced number of fans.

Charlotte Roval (Oct. 11)

A limited number of fans will be allowed at each of its races Oct. 10-11.

Kansas Speedway (Oct. 18)

Limited number of fans.

Texas Motor Speedway (Oct. 25)

50% of capacity permitted.

Martinsville Speedway (Nov. 1)

To be determined.

Phoenix Raceway – Championship race (Nov. 8)

Limited number of fans for all three days.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 10-09-2020 02:38 PM

This is an excellent point. I've actually watched enough games this fall to see that roughly 1/3 of any given football crowd all bunches together at the 50 yard line regardless of how many people end up showing up.

It's clear there isn't really any enforcement once they enter the facility and I seriously doubt the universities sold half of their tickets just in the two sections at midfield.

Part of why you have to keep it lower is because people aren't going to space themselves.