CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 09-27-2020 07:44 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29986985/covid-19-tests-results-triggered-georgia-state-charlotte-postponement-read-incorrectly%3fplatform=amp

False positives postponed the Charlotte georgia state game.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Purple - 09-27-2020 07:58 PM

(09-27-2020 07:44 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29986985/covid-19-tests-results-triggered-georgia-state-charlotte-postponement-read-incorrectly%3fplatform=amp

Whaaaaaaa!? How could there be false positives? The science is rock solid, unimpeachable, and irrefutable!

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NJDuke97 - 09-27-2020 08:08 PM

(09-27-2020 07:58 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(09-27-2020 07:44 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29986985/covid-19-tests-results-triggered-georgia-state-charlotte-postponement-read-incorrectly%3fplatform=amp

Whaaaaaaa!? How could there be false positives? The science is rock solid, unimpeachable, and irrefutable!

I don’t think it was the science. I think Georgia State misread the test results.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - jmu98 - 09-27-2020 09:03 PM

(09-27-2020 08:08 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  

I don’t think it was the science. I think Georgia State misread the test results.

GSU did not read the results wrong the lab that did the tests read them wrong.

True false positives are not as common as some make it out to be, but they do happen. The NFL example from a few weeks ago shows that it can happen in big chunks.

Just today a friend who is the head brewer at a local brewery told me about an employee who was just told her original result was a false positive. Was retested with both antigen and swab.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMad03 - 09-28-2020 07:54 AM

(09-27-2020 09:03 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  

True false positives are not as common as some make it out to be, but they do happen. The NFL example from a few weeks ago shows that it can happen in big chunks.

Just today a friend who is the head brewer at a local brewery told me about an employee who was just told her original result was a false positive. Was retested with both antigen and swab.

False positives can happen with any test. Sometimes it's a problem with the test, but more often than not it's a problem with the way the test was run. Either they didn't collect properly, didn't go through the test in the correct order, missed a step, etc.
Most tests aren't as simple as peeing on a stick, and even those have flaws.
When it comes to a virus that we are still learning about, multiple companies developing these tests, and putting people out there not qualified or not doing it the right way- there's so many things that can cause a false positive. It's a mess.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 09-28-2020 08:10 AM

(09-28-2020 07:54 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  

False positives can happen with any test. Sometimes it's a problem with the test, but more often than not it's a problem with the way the test was run. Either they didn't collect properly, didn't go through the test in the correct order, missed a step, etc.
When it comes to a virus that we are still learning about, multiple companies developing these tests, and putting people out there not qualified or not doing it the right way- there's so many things that can cause a false positive. It's a mess.

You're telling me medical tests aren't 100 accurate whether positive or negative? 04-jawdrop

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMad03 - 09-28-2020 08:29 AM

(09-28-2020 08:10 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(09-27-2020 07:58 PM)Purple Wrote:  Whaaaaaaa!? How could there be false positives? The science is rock solid, unimpeachable, and irrefutable!

You're telling me medical tests aren't 100 accurate whether positive or negative? 04-jawdrop

[Image: tenor.gif]

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 09-28-2020 09:10 AM

(09-27-2020 07:58 PM)Purple Wrote:  Whaaaaaaa!? How could there be false positives? The science is rock solid, unimpeachable, and irrefutable!

This becomes a huge problem when you test en masse asymptomatic individuals and less so when you follow the standard definition of case which is symptoms + test.

These tests are notoriously too sensitive.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 09-28-2020 10:00 AM

I'm shocked to come on here and not see a single "ODU cancels their 2020 season" thread.

Can someone check on Dukeman2? He's nowhere to be found all of a sudden. Poor Guy's favorite team isn't even playing.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - AssyrianDuke - 09-28-2020 10:51 AM

(09-28-2020 10:00 AM)Potomac Wrote:  I'm shocked to come on here and not see a single "ODU cancels their 2020 season" thread.

Can someone check on Dukeman2? He's nowhere to be found all of a sudden. Poor Guy's favorite team isn't even playing.

ODU? How 2010 of you! He's moved his rooting interests to Charlotte.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 09-28-2020 12:43 PM

(09-28-2020 10:51 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  ODU? How 2010 of you! He's moved his rooting interests to Charlotte.

Well that's awkward. They had to cancel their game with UNC that was scheduled to replace JMU. It turns out they didn't have enough offensive lineman available to be able to field a team.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 09-28-2020 12:52 PM

(09-28-2020 10:51 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  
(09-28-2020 10:00 AM)Potomac Wrote:  I'm shocked to come on here and not see a single "ODU cancels their 2020 season" thread.

ODU? How 2010 of you! He's moved his rooting interests to Charlotte.

For clarity - "I believe" the two teams of not on this board he follows are JMU and Appy State.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Purple - 09-28-2020 06:31 PM

(09-28-2020 09:10 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  
(09-27-2020 08:08 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I don’t think it was the science. I think Georgia State misread the test results.

This becomes a huge problem when you test en masse asymptomatic individuals and less so when you follow the standard definition of case which is symptoms + test.

These tests are notoriously too sensitive.

They are too sensitive for a reason.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - bjk3047 - 09-29-2020 08:22 AM

(09-28-2020 06:31 PM)Purple Wrote:  They are too sensitive for a reason.

Are you able to provide us with the reason you're referring to without discussing the validity of the covid pandemic as stated in the thread title?

I'd be impressed.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 09-29-2020 09:24 AM

(09-29-2020 08:22 AM)bjk3047 Wrote:  
(09-28-2020 06:31 PM)Purple Wrote:  They are too sensitive for a reason.

Are you able to provide us with the reason you're referring to without discussing the validity of the covid pandemic as stated in the thread title?

I'd be impressed.

That line has probably been crossed over 10 times in this, perhaps even by the author. 03-lmfao

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 09-29-2020 09:47 AM

Great article in the DNR today.

https://www.dnronline.com/news/coronavirus/broadway-woman-recounts-covid-19-experience/article_b51b974c-b40a-5cf7-904b-73c98ab6a8bc.html

Some stats from the article -

Hospitalized in VA - 11,000
Covid Deaths in VA - 3,172

57 year old women - while not hospitalized -

“And out of the blue, I woke up with the worst migraine I ever had and I was very sick on the stomach,” Hawkins said. “Within hours it took over. It took over.”

The next day, she felt even worse.

“By 3 o’clock [p.m.] I couldn’t get comfortable because I felt I got run over by a herd of elephants,” Hawkins said.

After a few days sick, she was tested for COVID-19 and her fears were confirmed when she received the results — positive.

“That’s when I couldn’t believe it,” Hawkins said. “I couldn’t believe it.”

In her second week of illness, one night Hawkins awoke with a terrible belief that she would not survive.

“I know that’s dramatic, but that’s honestly how sick I felt and I felt I would never feel right again,” Hawkins said.

People focus on the deaths - but per those VA stats those for every person that dies that are more then 2.5 more that are hospitalized. How many more will have new physical issues due to Covid(like Cecee Hawkins), either making them sicker than they've ever felt, and/or will ultimately shorten their life even if they initially survived the virus?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NovaDukes - 09-29-2020 10:46 AM

(09-29-2020 09:47 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Great article in the DNR today.

https://www.dnronline.com/news/coronavirus/broadway-woman-recounts-covid-19-experience/article_b51b974c-b40a-5cf7-904b-73c98ab6a8bc.html

Some stats from the article -

Hospitalized in VA - 11,000
Covid Deaths in VA - 3,172

57 year old women - while not hospitalized -

“And out of the blue, I woke up with the worst migraine I ever had and I was very sick on the stomach,” Hawkins said. “Within hours it took over. It took over.”

The next day, she felt even worse.

“By 3 o’clock [p.m.] I couldn’t get comfortable because I felt I got run over by a herd of elephants,” Hawkins said.

After a few days sick, she was tested for COVID-19 and her fears were confirmed when she received the results — positive.

“That’s when I couldn’t believe it,” Hawkins said. “I couldn’t believe it.”

In her second week of illness, one night Hawkins awoke with a terrible belief that she would not survive.

“I know that’s dramatic, but that’s honestly how sick I felt and I felt I would never feel right again,” Hawkins said.

People focus on the deaths - but per those VA stats those for every person that dies that are more then 2.5 more that are hospitalized. How many more will have new physical issues due to Covid(like Cecee Hawkins), either making them sicker than they've ever felt, and/or will ultimately shorten their life even if they initially survived the virus?

Maybe we should have a separate thread for discussing the validity of the covid pandemic or maybe we should just rename this one and discuss the return of JMU sports in a separate one.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 09-29-2020 12:53 PM

Done!

A thread on Validity of Covid has been started in off topic section above.

Let's have no more discussions on this thread about Validity of Covid.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 09-29-2020 12:58 PM

Moving Forward >>>>>>

If Fans are limited to 30% in January for football, should the same 30% be able to go for the full year, or should the 30% be decided on a game by game basis, so more fans would at least get to attend a game?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NovaDukes - 09-29-2020 02:31 PM

(09-29-2020 12:58 PM)Dukester Wrote:  Moving Forward >>>>>>

If Fans are limited to 30% in January for football, should the same 30% be able to go for the full year, or should the 30% be decided on a game by game basis, so more fans would at least get to attend a game?

They should choose solely based on your ability and willingness to make noise on third down, but they will do it based on donation level.