CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 09-25-2020 03:29 PM

(09-25-2020 03:02 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 01:27 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 08:27 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  A very good thread summary of harvard and Stanford professors on the response to covid

https://twitter.com/NickHudsonCT/status/1309471981792886784?s=19

I don't have the time to dedicate to it all right now, and frankly probably never will (it is a 2 hour video), but I didn't get much from Nick's summary.

3/43 - "Runaway exponential growth hasn't happened anywhere. With the possible exception of Iran, the epidemic has exhibited marked consistencies." It seems like this is saying that even with all the steps taken, that Nick appears to believe were not warranted, the virus is spreading at the same speed as others, those which we don't take extra precautions for. That seems to imply it would have been much worse than others had we done nothing, or that the steps taken helped to some level.

6/43 - "Using cases is complicated. Countries define them differently. Cases should be defined by a positive test AND presence of symptoms. Recording cases on a test only is unsound." But then in 7/43 - "Assessing fatality rates using cases is a mistake, because the denominator is underestimated. For every confirmed case there are multiples more infections, although the vast majority are asymptomatic." The underlines are mine and seem to be counter to one another. First it's that there should be a higher bar to be considered a "case" and then its for every "case" there are multiple others. Doesn't that potentially get us back to the same number of "cases" in the calc?

I honestly started scanning at that point due to way too many sensational words that are likely not supported by data, causing me to lose confidence - i.e., runaway exponential, massive overprediction, skyrocketed, vast majority, small fraction. I mean he basically started by saying the data sucks and there is a lot of unknowns, so I'm not sure how he can be so confident in those words.

You gave it more time than the 60 seconds I spent. 03-lmfao

I don't have time to read what a private equity actuary puts together. There are tons of these being distributed and circulated in the right wing circles basically saying this is a hoax that is overblown due to the election. I've got family that send me this stuff. To be quite honest, this world wide pandemic will probably not be mentioned again after the US election. Yeah right....

I'm going to follow Tony, the CDC, and the FDA on this, and hope the White House does not censor their direction/advise.

Are you really just going to write off a professor of medicine from Harvard Medical School, another professor of medicine from Stanford, and a professor of structural biology from stanford (who by the way won a nobel prize)?

Only the very fringe believe this virus is a hoax. I understand the virus is serious, but also understand the seriousness of lockdowns and other unhelpful blunt measures to "prevent" the spread.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 09-25-2020 03:32 PM

It’s hard to take your view on this seriously when you post stuff like “Covid is over”. That makes me doubt your logic even though I know you’re bright.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 09-25-2020 03:35 PM

(09-25-2020 03:32 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  It’s hard to take your view on this seriously when you post stuff like “Covid is over”. That makes me doubt your logic even though I know you’re bright.

We are very close to being below the pandemic threshold for deaths as a percentage of all causes, and are only being propped up by the laundering of 45 day old deaths.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 09-25-2020 03:36 PM

(09-25-2020 03:29 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 03:02 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 01:27 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 08:27 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  A very good thread summary of harvard and Stanford professors on the response to covid

https://twitter.com/NickHudsonCT/status/1309471981792886784?s=19

I don't have the time to dedicate to it all right now, and frankly probably never will (it is a 2 hour video), but I didn't get much from Nick's summary.

3/43 - "Runaway exponential growth hasn't happened anywhere. With the possible exception of Iran, the epidemic has exhibited marked consistencies." It seems like this is saying that even with all the steps taken, that Nick appears to believe were not warranted, the virus is spreading at the same speed as others, those which we don't take extra precautions for. That seems to imply it would have been much worse than others had we done nothing, or that the steps taken helped to some level.

6/43 - "Using cases is complicated. Countries define them differently. Cases should be defined by a positive test AND presence of symptoms. Recording cases on a test only is unsound." But then in 7/43 - "Assessing fatality rates using cases is a mistake, because the denominator is underestimated. For every confirmed case there are multiples more infections, although the vast majority are asymptomatic." The underlines are mine and seem to be counter to one another. First it's that there should be a higher bar to be considered a "case" and then its for every "case" there are multiple others. Doesn't that potentially get us back to the same number of "cases" in the calc?

I honestly started scanning at that point due to way too many sensational words that are likely not supported by data, causing me to lose confidence - i.e., runaway exponential, massive overprediction, skyrocketed, vast majority, small fraction. I mean he basically started by saying the data sucks and there is a lot of unknowns, so I'm not sure how he can be so confident in those words.

You gave it more time than the 60 seconds I spent. 03-lmfao

I don't have time to read what a private equity actuary puts together. There are tons of these being distributed and circulated in the right wing circles basically saying this is a hoax that is overblown due to the election. I've got family that send me this stuff. To be quite honest, this world wide pandemic will probably not be mentioned again after the US election. Yeah right....

I'm going to follow Tony, the CDC, and the FDA on this, and hope the White House does not censor their direction/advise.

Are you really just going to write off a professor of medicine from Harvard Medical School, another professor of medicine from Stanford, and a professor of structural biology from stanford (who by the way won a nobel prize)?

Only the very fringe believe this virus is a hoax. I understand the virus is serious, but also understand the seriousness of lockdowns and other unhelpful blunt measures to "prevent" the spread.

If you want to put it that way. As I said I get tons of this stuff, and from the left although not to the same extreme. I'm one that watches all 3 cable news networks to find the truth. My interest will be on what our top scientists, the CDC, and FDA say. No, I don't think they are political in nature, although it's apparent they are trying to be swayed in today's environment.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 09-25-2020 03:42 PM

(09-25-2020 03:35 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 03:32 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  It’s hard to take your view on this seriously when you post stuff like “Covid is over”. That makes me doubt your logic even though I know you’re bright.

We are very close to being below the pandemic threshold for deaths as a percentage of all causes, and are only being propped up by the laundering of 45 day old deaths.

When will these deaths finally cycle through so we can get data that supports your position? I’ve heard this before, but if the data is just wrong due to a lag, shouldn’t the death rate eventually drop off a cliff and show far lower numbers? When will that happen? Is this where that “it will disappear after the election” logic comes from? Genuinely interested in your thoughts.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 09-25-2020 03:51 PM

(09-25-2020 03:42 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 03:35 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  

When will these deaths finally cycle through so we can get data that supports your position? I’ve heard this before, but if the data is just wrong due to a lag, shouldn’t the death rate eventually drop off a cliff and show far lower numbers? When will that happen? Is this where that “it will disappear after the election” logic comes from? Genuinely interested in your thoughts.

Well its tough to say, it looks pretty bad when the lag between death and report seems to continue to expand. These laundered deaths are likely justifiable under the current criteria (which is too permissive IMO) and has an improper incentive structure in funding for reporting these deaths. This coupled with the fact that most hospital systems are under duress due to lack of other types of care availability spells a disaster for increasing numbers.

One of the ways to think about actual deaths rather than legacy deaths is what does the ICU census support - and now they do NOT support the current death rate.

[Image: Eio5ZMXXsAAweyU?format=png&name=small]

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 09-25-2020 03:54 PM

I definitely believe there is merit to the claim about some death reporting lagging or “laundered”. Interested in who the 36 entities are who are referenced as reporting in the graph shown. Unfortunately, garbage people are pushing garbage data, so I have to dig around and be a skeptic or otherwise I’m a fool.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 09-25-2020 04:04 PM

(09-25-2020 03:54 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I definitely believe there is merit to the claim about some death reporting lagging or “laundered”. Interested in who the 36 entities are who are referenced as reporting in the graph shown. Unfortunately, garbage people are pushing garbage data, so I have to dig around and be a skeptic or otherwise I’m a fool.

Agreed. This is why i dont call people stupid for not agreeing.

https://covidtracking.com/data

ICU census is not being reported by every state. You can go here and search ICU to see what states are reporting

its a pretty random list TBH, but includes most big states, with florida being a notable state without data.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 09-25-2020 04:10 PM

(09-25-2020 03:54 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I definitely believe there is merit to the claim about some death reporting lagging or “laundered”. Interested in who the 36 entities are who are referenced as reporting in the graph shown. Unfortunately, garbage people are pushing garbage data, so I have to dig around and be a skeptic or otherwise I’m a fool.

Here's something I read today, that is not a surprise, but additional information.

As the United States’ covid-19 death toll moves relentlessly beyond 200,000, data shows that only about 100 children and teenagers have died of the disease, a fatality rate that is drawing wonder from clinicians and increasing interest among researchers hoping to understand why.

Covid-19 has become the nation’s third-leading cause of death this year, but 18 states had not seen a single fatality among people under 20 as of Sept. 10, according to statistics compiled by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children’s Hospital Association.

Children are much more likely to die of homicides (there were 1,865 in 2016, according to government data), drowning (995) or even fires and burns (340).

These is not news to me - the concern with the younger is they still spread it to others. You know 2/3s of people under 65 have a pre-existing condition?

Yes, deaths lags hospitalizations. Death rates are not as low as they were earlier in the summer, but they have come down some the last couple weeks. We're still having a needless 911 volume of deaths a week that do not need to happen in my opinion, and I'm not talking about shutting everything down. Common sense things like masks, spacing, and not attending crowded events - especially indoors.

Right there I gave info on both sides.

I find a lot of people who only have stats/argument that focus on their agenda. Death is a lagging indicator when it helps the direction they want to point, but when Deaths are down, but hospitalizations are up, they seem to focus on the deaths.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 09-25-2020 04:10 PM

Thanks. So ICU census data is coming from state government agencies?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NJDuke97 - 09-25-2020 04:28 PM

A lot of people are comparing deaths for things that are “acts of god” or the result of long term health and lifestyle choices vs a virus that we can control spread and infection on in the here and now if we take certain measures.

To me it’s like driving a car looking in a rear view mirror instead of at the road in front of you.

Stats can be used to support many positions but the reality is that this is something that is causing mass deaths and mass illness across the world where there currently isn’t a proven cure or vaccine. Also the stats don’t capture the impact in the future for someone who is infected today and survives with or without hospitalization.

The situation is frustrating but there is a reason why there has been a global shut down- some is being cautious with something that still has some unknowns to it, some is how contagious relatively speaking it is.

I just scratch my head when someone points to some other reason for fatalities in their rear view mirror and tries to compare it to something that if we take precautions can be avoided as a cause of fatality. Like someone dieing in a car accident has anything to do with society trying to avoid someone dieing from Covid. But I guess if you can’t get your arms around it and are frustrated that Covid has ruined your way of life or taken your freedoms I guess comparing thousands of deaths for non Covid reasons to thousands of deaths from Covid and rationalizing that they represent fractions of percents in terms of US population sounds logical. Hey as long as it doesn’t affect you it all sounds good.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - olddawg - 09-25-2020 04:28 PM

MAC announced today they will play a 6 game, conference only schedule starting Nov 4. Looks like all the FBS conferences will have some sort of Fall FB.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NJDuke97 - 09-25-2020 04:33 PM

(09-25-2020 04:28 PM)olddawg Wrote:  MAC announced today they will play a 6 game, conference only schedule starting Nov 4. Looks like all the FBS conferences will have some sort of Fall FB.

Yep Big 10 was the bellwether then PAC MW and Mac joined. I know Mac didn’t make a lot on game day attendance or bowls really- I guess their financial model is from the modest Tv deal they have. I think maybe what has changed is the methods for testing and associated costs such that they aren’t as significant anymore and the Mac won’t lose as much money by playing and having to test regularly in the Fall? Or maybe these conferences realized that Fall or Spring they are going to have to test regularly because there won’t be a reliable vaccine that’s been tested in circulation by then.

Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 09-25-2020 05:49 PM

Yes. All the data you see is originates local then to state then to federal agencies

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 09-25-2020 05:53 PM

(09-25-2020 05:49 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Yes. All the data you see is originates local then to state then to federal agencies

Unfortunately, I’m more inclined to trust data from non-gov entities. I’ve witnessed first-hand this spring/summer how garbage politicians and their garbage appointed shills will manipulate data within government agencies for political purposes.

Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 09-25-2020 09:47 PM

Unsure of how you would get that.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Polish Hammer - 09-26-2020 09:00 AM

(09-25-2020 04:33 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 04:28 PM)olddawg Wrote:  MAC announced today they will play a 6 game, conference only schedule starting Nov 4. Looks like all the FBS conferences will have some sort of Fall FB.

Yep Big 10 was the bellwether then PAC MW and Mac joined. I know Mac didn’t make a lot on game day attendance or bowls really- I guess their financial model is from the modest Tv deal they have. I think maybe what has changed is the methods for testing and associated costs such that they aren’t as significant anymore and the Mac won’t lose as much money by playing and having to test regularly in the Fall? Or maybe these conferences realized that Fall or Spring they are going to have to test regularly because there won’t be a reliable vaccine that’s been tested in circulation by then.
Well the MAC initiated the cancellations and those conferences followed. Now they realized a season lost would do damage recruiting-wise and other aspects that would take long to recover from. I don’t get the feeling they have deep enough pockets to do full daily testing. Oddly, their season will now be played primarily when the weather is horrible and unpredictable out in the Midwest and attendance would be minimal anyway. And while they don’t make much money off the bowls, they pool the money together and won’t allow a school to lose money off a bowl either. Some teams in other conferences lose a ton of money going to a bowl when you factor in a travel party and length of stay and the amount is more than the bowl payout, but the MAC has that covered.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NJDuke97 - 09-26-2020 02:20 PM

(09-26-2020 09:00 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  

Well the MAC initiated the cancellations and those conferences followed. Now they realized a season lost would do damage recruiting-wise and other aspects that would take long to recover from. I don’t get the feeling they have deep enough pockets to do full daily testing. Oddly, their season will now be played primarily when the weather is horrible and unpredictable out in the Midwest and attendance would be minimal anyway. And while they don’t make much money off the bowls, they pool the money together and won’t allow a school to lose money off a bowl either. Some teams in other conferences lose a ton of money going to a bowl when you factor in a travel party and length of stay and the amount is more than the bowl payout, but the MAC has that covered.

In a weird way I wonder if the current environment makes the bowls more financially viable for some of these schools. We used to hear about how they lost money on bowls due in part to having to travel (bands?) and buy ticket allotments that they would eat. With no fans at a bowl and tv only maybe the finances work better due to lower expenses for the teams but then again if they are having to cover the cost of regular Covid testing leading up to the bowl game maybe it ends up being a wash.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMU - 09-26-2020 03:02 PM

(09-26-2020 02:20 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(09-26-2020 09:00 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  

In a weird way I wonder if the current environment makes the bowls more financially viable for some of these schools. We used to hear about how they lost money on bowls due in part to having to travel (bands?) and buy ticket allotments that they would eat. With no fans at a bowl and tv only maybe the finances work better due to lower expenses for the teams but then again if they are having to cover the cost of regular Covid testing leading up to the bowl game maybe it ends up being a wash.

Yeah, but, at the time Fall or spring football was not gonna happen at JMU. They made the best decision at the time which was if they wanted a chance to to play they would have to transfer. I wish them well.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukesfan71 - 09-26-2020 04:33 PM

Amos with the pick