CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 09-16-2020 10:52 AM

(09-16-2020 10:43 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(09-16-2020 10:39 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(09-16-2020 10:12 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(09-15-2020 05:52 PM)Dukesfan71 Wrote:  We should Crank it up to. Kickoff October 3rd or 10th. League games only. Let’s go.

This, evidently if the Big10 is now a go after evaluation of the data, science, and risks this should speak volumes......given they comprise a lot of big research universities.

I doubt it has much to do with evaluating data, science, risk, or them having a lot of big research universities and way way WAAAAAAY more with watching the SEC, ACC, and Big 12-2 making their seasons somehow work. Peer pressure. Keeping up with the Joneses. That kind of stuff.

04-cheers

Sure there is that pressure too.......but I don't think they would be reversing coarse if the data did not support it and the data points of other schools safety measures and playing did not support it.

Respectfully agree to disagree. Lots of data pointing to spread on college campuses being a negative. I just think if the SEC/ACC/Big12-2 weren't playing right now, the Big 10+4 wouldn't be considering playing. But, no worries.

On a different note, looks like the NCAA Council is going to (perhaps later today) announce the D1AA playoffs model that was hypothesized a few weeks ago will in fact be in place for spring 2021. That is, 16 teams...10 auto qualifiers...6 at large bids. Season to start in late February. Championship in Frisco TX some time in May. We'll see.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - ShadyP - 09-16-2020 12:54 PM

(09-16-2020 10:52 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(09-16-2020 10:12 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(09-15-2020 05:52 PM)Dukesfan71 Wrote:  We should Crank it up to. Kickoff October 3rd or 10th. League games only. Let’s go.

This, evidently if the Big10 is now a go after evaluation of the data, science, and risks this should speak volumes......given they comprise a lot of big research universities.

I doubt it has much to do with evaluating data, science, risk, or them having a lot of big research universities and way way WAAAAAAY more with watching the SEC, ACC, and Big 12-2 making their seasons somehow work. Peer pressure. Keeping up with the Joneses. That kind of stuff.

04-cheers

Sure there is that pressure too.......but I don't think they would be reversing coarse if the data did not support it and the data points of other schools safety measures and playing did not support it.

Respectfully agree to disagree. Lots of data pointing to spread on college campuses being a negative. I just think if the SEC/ACC/Big12-2 weren't playing right now, the Big 10+4 wouldn't be considering playing. But, no worries.

On a different note, looks like the NCAA Council is going to (perhaps later today) announce the D1AA playoffs model that was hypothesized a few weeks ago will in fact be in place for spring 2021. That is, 16 teams...10 auto qualifiers...6 at large bids. Season to start in late February. Championship in Frisco TX some time in May. We'll see.

With now so many FBS teams playing this fall......I see a very slim chance that spring football for FCS does not happen. I also think the success so far of CFB and various pro sports leads me to think that NCAA BBall will be a go for this winter.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 09-16-2020 03:31 PM

(09-16-2020 12:54 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(09-16-2020 10:52 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(09-16-2020 10:12 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  This, evidently if the Big10 is now a go after evaluation of the data, science, and risks this should speak volumes......given they comprise a lot of big research universities.

04-cheers

With now so many FBS teams playing this fall......I see a very slim chance that spring football for FCS does not happen. I also think the success so far of CFB and various pro sports leads me to think that NCAA BBall will be a go for this winter.

Shady I agree with you although I think NCAA BBall will mainly be without fans.

The one big unknown to me is Covid in Oct - Dec. If it's as bad as some speculate, that would be a game changer, but my personal guess is the fall will be pretty similar to where we are now, or perhaps even better. But it's nothing more than a guess I hope to be correct.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 09-16-2020 03:54 PM

Coronavirus updates: COVID-19 vaccine may be ready for American public by summer or fall 2021, CDC director says

USA Today

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 09-16-2020 05:05 PM

Andy Katz @TheAndyKatz

D-1 Council: Start date of college basketball season: Nov. 25; Start of practice: Oct. 14; Max number of games: 27 (reduced by 4); Minimum number of games: 13; No scrimmages/exhibitions. Recommendation for minimum 4 non-conference. Video breakdown coming w/NCAA SVP Dan Gavitt.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Hart Foundation - 09-16-2020 05:37 PM

Better get to work yesterday on finding a New date for the UVA game. Someway, somehow get it done. Should be easy as long as UVA is willing.

If the OOC is going to be 4 games it would make sense to keep them all in State for ease of travel
The other games are not nearly as important.
UVA
ODU
George Mason
Redford

I would have no problem paying my full season Ticket price if those 4 were maintained and the rest of the OOC scrapped and scheduled for next year. Would suck to miss Ga Tech and Florida but those are road games anyway. JMU can get a road game at a P7 school anytime, any year.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 09-16-2020 06:53 PM

NCAA D1 Council has made it official regarding D1AA FB next spring. Playoff pairings will be announced on April 18. 16 teams. 4 rounds on consecutive weekends from April 24 to May 15. National title game (featuring the Dukes playing the Bizon most likely) will be at Frisco TX on May 15.

Schools playing this fall will be considered for the playoff field. As previously reported, 10 auto bids + 6 at large will make up the 16-team field.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - White Hall - 09-16-2020 07:58 PM

(09-16-2020 06:53 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  NCAA D1 Council has made it official regarding D1AA FB next spring. Playoff pairings will be announced on April 18. 16 teams. 4 rounds on consecutive weekends from April 24 to May 15. National title game (featuring the Dukes playing the Bizon most likely) will be at Frisco TX on May 15.

Schools playing this fall will be considered for the playoff field. As previously reported, 10 auto bids + 6 at large will make up the 16-team field.

With the title game in May, what are the odds the game time temperature will be like 105 degrees? Given the weather we had in 2017 and 2019, nothing would surprise me at this point.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - jmufbs - 09-16-2020 08:11 PM

(09-16-2020 07:58 PM)White Hall Wrote:  
(09-16-2020 06:53 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  NCAA D1 Council has made it official regarding D1AA FB next spring. Playoff pairings will be announced on April 18. 16 teams. 4 rounds on consecutive weekends from April 24 to May 15. National title game (featuring the Dukes playing the Bizon most likely) will be at Frisco TX on May 15.

With the title game in May, what are the odds the game time temperature will be like 105 degrees? Given the weather we had in 2017 and 2019, nothing would surprise me at this point.

With no NFL playoffs to contend with there is NO reason for the NCAA to agree to a 11 am local time kickoff in May like in January. This game needs to be a late afternoon / night game... get it right ncaa.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 09-16-2020 08:28 PM

(09-16-2020 07:58 PM)White Hall Wrote:  

I checked on this and the historical average high is mid-80s I believe. Also, if they keep the game at the horrific 11am kickoff, it could be played in the 70s.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 09-17-2020 07:44 AM

FWIW...

In women’s basketball, teams can schedule 23 regular-season games and participate in one multiple-team event that includes up to four games or schedule 25 regular-season games if a team does not compete in a multiple-team event.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - ShadyP - 09-17-2020 08:00 AM

(09-16-2020 05:37 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Better get to work yesterday on finding a New date for the UVA game. Someway, somehow get it done. Should be easy as long as UVA is willing.

If the OOC is going to be 4 games it would make sense to keep them all in State for ease of travel
UVA
ODU
George Mason
Redford

I would have no problem paying my full season Ticket price if those 4 were maintained and the rest of the OOC scrapped and scheduled for next year. Would suck to miss Ga Tech and Florida but those are road games anyway. JMU can get a road game at a P7 school anytime, any year.

Does it really matter if this season is no fans or limited fans.

It would make more sense to reschedule for next season in my opinion if fans are going to be limitied in any capacity.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 09-17-2020 09:43 AM

(09-17-2020 08:00 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(09-16-2020 05:37 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Better get to work yesterday on finding a New date for the UVA game. Someway, somehow get it done. Should be easy as long as UVA is willing.

UVA
ODU
George Mason
Redford

It would make more sense to reschedule for next season in my opinion if fans are going to be limitied in any capacity.

Um - yes. Is this a trick question? 04-jawdrop Matters a lot to me.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Hart Foundation - 09-17-2020 02:32 PM

UVA
ODU
George Mason
Redford

It matters. Especially to the donors that bought premium season ticket seats. Get it done this year. And sign another deal with UVA starting next year. How about that. Have your cake and eat it too.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - ShadyP - 09-17-2020 02:40 PM

(09-17-2020 02:32 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  

UVA
ODU
George Mason
Redford

It matters. Especially to the donors that bought premium season ticket seats. Get it done this year. And sign another deal with UVA starting next year. How about that. Have your cake and eat it too.

Good luck with that.....I think that is some pretty wishful thinking, but i like it.....just don't see it happening.

Also, what are the donors that bought premium season ticket seats gonna care if there are no fans. It seems they would not like to miss the in person UVA game one bit.....but hey i guess it would be broadcast with our super cool streaming partner.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 09-17-2020 02:45 PM

Director of Communications and University Spokeswoman Caitlyn Read said “students should plan to return to some level of in-person instruction on October 5.”

https://twitter.com/BreezeNewsJMU/status/1306645336195293189

They cannot suspend again.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Hart Foundation - 09-17-2020 02:47 PM

Bourne suggested a 20% cap on fans in the article so maybe a little over 2000 would be the max. That is Actually way more than JMU drew under Rowe last year. The question would be how many paying fans and how many students (if they are back on campus this year). Bourne will have to balance a need for revenue and a need to serve the students which is why the university exists in the first place. If students don’t come back, then he could actually sell single game tix at a premium price for supply/demand. Only 800 season tix were sold.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - ShadyP - 09-17-2020 02:48 PM

(09-17-2020 02:45 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Director of Communications and University Spokeswoman Caitlyn Read said “students should plan to return to some level of in-person instruction on October 5.”

Agree 100%.

Reading this earlier it seems like they addressed one of the biggest issues with was the number of quarantine beds by working with local hotels, which are sitting empty. Seems odd that was not in place prior.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - bjk3047 - 09-17-2020 03:33 PM

(09-17-2020 02:45 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Director of Communications and University Spokeswoman Caitlyn Read said “students should plan to return to some level of in-person instruction on October 5.”

Oh, planning advice from the person who said JMU wasn't sending any sick individuals home despite the very clear directive in their formal policy?

I'm sure this is going to go great!

Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 09-18-2020 06:28 AM

I don't even know what you just said in that sentence.