CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeDogNation - 08-07-2020 11:43 AM

I posted this on the FCS subreddit, but I'll post it here too:

I hope it's not the case, but come winter the cancellation/delay of football may a blip on the map compared to how rough things could get.

I'm 100% heartbroken for these kids, people who work for these programs, and the communities that are directly or indirectly supported through these sports. It's okay to be upset by this news, it's okay to be disappointed; make sure you're taking care of yourself and your mental health through all of this. I know following football with you all is a big way for me to escape day-to-day life and it's going to be as important as ever for everyone to support each other moving forward.

Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 08-07-2020 12:04 PM

I'll just leave this here.

If only we took it more seriously. [Image: 66f0b21e56e919efb64279560aa2d572.jpg]

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 08-07-2020 12:08 PM

FWIW, as expected, both the Pioneer and Big Sky have made it official earlier today that they are cancelling FB this fall and hoping to move to spring.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMad03 - 08-07-2020 12:10 PM

(08-07-2020 11:43 AM)DukeDogNation Wrote:  I posted this on the FCS subreddit, but I'll post it here too:

I hope it's not the case, but come winter the cancellation/delay of football may a blip on the map compared to how rough things could get.

I'm 100% heartbroken for these kids, people who work for these programs, and the communities that are directly or indirectly supported through these sports. It's okay to be upset by this news, it's okay to be disappointed; make sure you're taking care of yourself and your mental health through all of this. I know following football with you all is a big way for me to escape day-to-day life and it's going to be as important as ever for everyone to support each other moving forward.

100% agree.
I feel really bad for the players. I am disappointed a season won't happen for completely selfish reasons. I cannot imagine the feelings of those guys that have been working so hard and having the game being taken away from them. Their mental health needs to be taken care of as well.
From a college athletics standpoint, it was bad when basketball was cancelled. I cannot even fathom the impact of no football would play. I believe there will be a lot of schools having to make some difficult decisions of eliminating sports or an entire athletic department.
The landscape of college sports as we know it is about to go through a massive overhaul. I just hope we can come out of it in the end.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeDogNation - 08-07-2020 12:15 PM

(08-07-2020 12:10 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  From a college athletics standpoint, it was bad when basketball was cancelled. I cannot even fathom the impact of no football would play. I believe there will be a lot of schools having to make some difficult decisions of eliminating sports or an entire athletic department.
The landscape of college sports as we know it is about to go through a massive overhaul. I just hope we can come out of it in the end.

It's obviously not feasible for everyone, but the PAC12's jumbo loan concept could be a way around this. Basically if football is cancelled the conference will apply for a $900 million+ loan to be split among the schools.

People are still going to get laid off or furloughed, but it would be a way to keep athletic departments afloat temporarily.

I also really hope they're making counselors available for these kids to help them through this really rough period.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-07-2020 12:16 PM

(08-07-2020 12:10 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(08-07-2020 11:43 AM)DukeDogNation Wrote:  I posted this on the FCS subreddit, but I'll post it here too:

100% agree.
I feel really bad for the players. I am disappointed a season won't happen for completely selfish reasons. I cannot imagine the feelings of those guys that have been working so hard and having the game being taken away from them. Their mental health needs to be taken care of as well.
From a college athletics standpoint, it was bad when basketball was cancelled. I cannot even fathom the impact of no football would play. I believe there will be a lot of schools having to make some difficult decisions of eliminating sports or an entire athletic department.

There are so many to feel sorry for. Freshman and Seniors at each level losing life experiences. I feel sorry for the tons of people without job, or working with reduced wages. I feel the over Million family members that have lost over 160k family members. I feel for the front line doctors and nurses that have sacrificed their life to help others. There's a lot to feel sorry for these days. Most everyone is being hurt in some way.

Hope we can get this behind us as quick as possible to move forward once again.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 08-07-2020 12:17 PM

(08-07-2020 12:10 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  

100% agree.

Agree with everything you guys have said. I'll add that I believe there is probably a larger percentage of players than we might think who are actually relieved. I don't mean relieved that they can't compete or anything like that. But, more relieved in the sense that their safety is being taken into consideration, trying to lessen the risk and so forth.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 08-07-2020 12:21 PM

(08-07-2020 10:48 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Well, then again, go ahead. Have your fun. Bash away. To hell with the French!

04-cheers

I mean, UVA hasn't scheduled us since 1983 and that isn't some coincidence. They're definitely dodging us.

But, in this particular instance, maybe the conspiracy theories are just that?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 08-07-2020 12:24 PM

I find it odd that the same posters who criticized the "over reaction" of COVID responses are the ones screaming that this is the death to JMU football.

Not so fun, but safe, fact: >80% of college football teams (546/676) are not playing this fall.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-07-2020 12:31 PM

There are a lot of big picture points coming up that offer a lot of unknowns.

These are the big 3 for me.

1) What will happen with Covid in the fall?
- will it go to another level?
- how more complicated with flu and cold season make it?

2) When colleges go back - I know little precautions will be taken by the students. There could be spread across the country on steroids. My son is going back to college, and I'm not wasting my breath on telling him to be careful. I doubt I would of been careful under the same situation when I was school. To be honest, college is going to happen and there is nothing that can be done if someone tried to be careful. Hopefully we don't lose a lot of teachers and administrators.

We'll see what happens.

3) As grade schools go back to classes, the spread will transfer like wildfire between the kids. How will it effect:
- Teachers and school admin?
- how how about their elder and pre-existing family members when the kids bring it home?

We'll see what happens.

I think the fall could suck real bad.

The obvious other big event will be the vaccine. As I said, come October 15 said we have one, and come November 15 we'll be aware, at best, it can be materially distributed by early summer.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - PurpleSoloCup84 - 08-07-2020 01:43 PM

I'll just leave this here.

USA
TOTAL DEATHS
CDC | Updated: Aug 6 2020 12:15PM

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMU2004 - 08-07-2020 01:46 PM

(08-07-2020 01:43 PM)PurpleSoloCup84 Wrote:  I'll just leave this here.

USA
TOTAL DEATHS

Knocking on the door of 200k just in time for colleges and some schools to open. Does anyone think those openings will lead to fewer cases?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - ShadyP - 08-07-2020 01:58 PM

(08-07-2020 01:46 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(08-07-2020 01:43 PM)PurpleSoloCup84 Wrote:  I'll just leave this here.

USA
TOTAL DEATHS

Knocking on the door of 200k just in time for colleges and some schools to open. Does anyone think those openings will lead to fewer cases?

That would be impossible based on the nature of cumulative record keeping.

Last I checked total death numbers never went down for anything in history. Colleges and schools are set to open, I am 100% certain that alcohol related deaths and automobile related deaths will not miraculously go in reverse.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 08-07-2020 02:08 PM

It's official. No fall JMU football. They're willing to look into the logistics of a spring season.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-07-2020 02:18 PM

(08-07-2020 02:08 PM)Potomac Wrote:  It's official. No fall JMU football. They're willing to look into the logistics of a spring season.

Quote:HARRISONBURG, Va. – With nationwide developments over the course of the week and the impending postponement of the NCAA FCS Championship, James Madison has suspended its fall football season. Department focus has shifted, in collaboration with the Colonial Athletic Association and the NCAA, to exploration of a spring competitive football season.

The CAA announced the suspension of football on July 17, while leaving the door open for institutions wishing to compete independent of league play. While some CAA institutions suspended athletics at that time, JMU elected to align its decision for football with the NCAA's championship calendar and proceeded with carrying out its return-to-play operational plans.

The NCAA Board of Governors issued updated guidance on August 5, including 1) measures for each division to make its own decisions on championships and 2) criteria for at least 50 percent of eligible institutions to compete in order to sponsor a championship. As of Friday afternoon, greater than 50 percent of FCS institutions have postponed their fall football season.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Madison 91 Forever - 08-07-2020 02:21 PM

Have I mentioned lately how much 2020 sucks? Well, 2020 sucks. Sigh.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 08-07-2020 02:21 PM

Safe to assume volleyball, M & W soccer also shut down?

I mean, I've kinda assume that all along anyway.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 08-07-2020 02:23 PM

(08-07-2020 02:21 PM)Madison 91 Forever Wrote:  Have I mentioned lately how much 2020 sucks? Well, 2020 sucks. Sigh.

Well, looking on the bright side there's always...ummmm....errrrr....hmmmm...there's that....wait...hmmmm...I mean we should remember that....ummmm...errrrr...

...I'll get back with you.

01-lauramac2

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-07-2020 02:24 PM

Forever known as "The lost year".

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukeman2 - 08-07-2020 02:30 PM

Total Covid 19 deaths (no pre existing condition) of people age 0-24 = 270

Average annual deaths from flu virus age 0-17 = 643