CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeThaDawg - 08-07-2020 07:44 AM

(08-07-2020 07:26 AM)olddawg Wrote:  IF FBS winds up playing and FCS (as a whole) bails, is this the final kick in the pants to leave the FCS world? We wanted to play this season. But our whole conference, except Elon, punted the season away. Further proof that we are not aligned with our FCS "peers".

I could reluctantly live with no JMU football this year- if not for the likelihood that the FBS teams will play. Tough to swallow when the decision is basically out of our hands due to the level we are affiliated with.

But JMU goes around promoting the fact that they are really G5 caliber, that the G5 are our peers. Believe me when I tell you that that is a big time JMU selling point in recruiting circles. Many coaches will counsel a player that a JMU offer is better than many offers from many CUSA, Sun Belt and MAC schools---and a better "football look" than low tiered P5 like Rutgers, WF and Duke.

JMU spends like a G5. I don't see how any G5 conferences want us if we can't play a season. I hope your assessment that a season was impossible because, "[t]he decision is basically out of our hands due to the level we are affiliated with". I hope any G5 conference doesn't look at us as a laughingstock, because we spend more money than them, but couldn't even put together some type of independent season.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMURocks - 08-07-2020 08:12 AM

Has JMU officially bailed on fall football? Or is that being presumed because they suspended practice sessions?

I know it looks grim now, but still hoping there might be a path where they can go forward with games.

Cig’s message is slightly cryptic

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 08-07-2020 08:15 AM

(08-07-2020 07:34 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  
(08-07-2020 07:25 AM)Potomac Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 09:59 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Also - if we are cancelling football season, you can probably kiss basketball season goodbye.

You can probably kiss all but maybe Spring 2021 sports goodbye, but anyone paying attention has known this for months.

I dont understand this line of thinking - assuming we have a vaccine, big assumption i know, but why wouldnt we be playing sports if a vaccine is present? I mean otherwise we will never be playing sports ever again? This virus isnt going away, ever.

Aren't you guys saying the same thing? I might be missing one but I thought the only non-fall and non-spring sports were Bball and Swimming/Diving.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMURocks - 08-07-2020 08:22 AM

Speculation FCS season will move to the spring.
I’ve also seen some talk the Big Sky will allow up to 3 OOC games (at the schools option) to happen in fall.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 08-07-2020 08:22 AM

(08-07-2020 08:12 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  Has JMU officially bailed on fall football? Or is that being presumed because they suspended practice sessions?

I know it looks grim now, but still hoping there might be a path where they can go forward with games.

My uninformed opinion is that Bourne and team are trying to confirm eligibility. Bourne has proven many times he is diligent in his decision making. It may be slow for us, but outside of bball coaching hires, I think its tough to argue his resume/decision making. The NCAA is already on record by saying they don't know if a player/team that plays games this fall would be eligible for a spring season if it were to happen. Could you imagine if we decided to play a 4-6 game season this fall to turn around and watch some random NEC team lift an official NCAA trophy in the spring?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - formerjmusprinter84 - 08-07-2020 08:24 AM

If the JMU football season hasn't been cancelled yet, I see no point in halting workouts. Even if they just do more conditioning/weight training, etc w/ social distancing protocal.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 08-07-2020 08:31 AM

(08-07-2020 08:24 AM)formerjmusprinter84 Wrote:  If the JMU football season hasn't been cancelled yet, I see no point in halting workouts. Even if they just do more conditioning/weight training, etc w/ social distancing protocal.

I suspect it has something to do with verifying eligibility rules going forward before we officially transition from off-season workouts to camp. Not like it will be much time lost if camp begins next week.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 08-07-2020 08:36 AM

(08-07-2020 08:31 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(08-07-2020 08:24 AM)formerjmusprinter84 Wrote:  If the JMU football season hasn't been cancelled yet, I see no point in halting workouts. Even if they just do more conditioning/weight training, etc w/ social distancing protocal.

I suspect it has something to do with verifying eligibility rules going forward before we officially transition from off-season workouts to camp. Not like it will be much time lost if camp begins next week.

Exactly.

NCAA has guidelines on the amount of practice time, style of practice, etc, for the entire calendar year by segments. Everyone kicks off camp at generally the same time cause that is what is allowed. Starting/extending camp results in penalties. This isn't as simple as the redshirt / 5 year eligibility that we generally think about. There is a lot more to consider then "its fall lets play football!!!!!".

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeThaDawg - 08-07-2020 08:58 AM

(08-07-2020 08:22 AM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  
(08-07-2020 08:12 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  Has JMU officially bailed on fall football? Or is that being presumed because they suspended practice sessions?

My uninformed opinion is that Bourne and team are trying to confirm eligibility. Bourne has proven many times he is diligent in his decision making. It may be slow for us, but outside of bball coaching hires, I think its tough to argue his resume/decision making. The NCAA is already on record by saying they don't know if a player/team that plays games this fall would be eligible for a spring season if it were to happen. Could you imagine if we decided to play a 4-6 game season this fall to turn around and watch some random NEC team lift an official NCAA trophy in the spring?

Yes!!! This is a very good point!!!Player eligibility and rules for practice would be a very big thing, if JMU decided to play some kind of split fall/spring season.

It seems that''s what the Big Sky is proposing
Per an athletic director at Big Sky institution: The league's ADs visited with league presidents from 4 to 4:30 today and gave the recommendation of a 3-game non-conference schedule to be played in either fall or spring, then an 8-game #BigSkyFB schedule in the spring.

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1291522657322598401

Maybe that is the "clarity" JMU is looking for. And if JMU could implement that type of split fall/spring model---Perfect!!! Players, fans and coaches would get the best of both worlds

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-07-2020 09:01 AM

(08-06-2020 08:40 PM)jmufbs Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 08:35 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  From Madia
Breaking now: training camp for Dukes was originally supposed to start Friday. That won't happen now.
Just in, this from JMU assistant AD Kevin Warner: “Based upon developments on the national scene today, the team is pausing its opening workout originally scheduled for Friday morning until there is more clarity about a direction moving forward.”

https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/1291545010110976003

What more clarity do they need. The FCS didn't meet the 50% threshold for the post season. And Bourne said that if there were no playoffs, JMU would not play.

I feel very bad for these kids. They must be heartbroken.
And I feel bad for us fans....Now we know, it's FCS for life for us

VT Liberty UVA VMI ODU all playing and hoping to find a way to do it safely ( so far)
JMU ? this decision will say a lot about our brand going forward. Covid protocol and testing was in good shape at JMU thus far. can't blame that .
I fear this decision was already made many weeks ago when Bourne made the " 50 % " comment. have we been strung along ?

Sorry, I'm the first one to call out JMU if I don't agree - but not this time. 05-nono

"JMU brand" - BS - JMU's brand is just a strong as it was 5 months ago. They have done everything they could and can do. They've still not cancelled, and they are only one of 2 schools in the CAA that are trying to move forward without their conference.

We all will miss JMU football this fall, but it's not the admin's fault. I give them an A for aggressiveness in giving the program a chance to play this fall.

You can only play the hand that is dealt to you.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - doubleduke2016 - 08-07-2020 09:05 AM

If baseball can't figure it out with professionals in a non-contact sport there is a 0% chance college football can. I've said since last Spring that football is not happening and I still hold to that. FCS will not be playing, FBS will not be playing and it is unlikely NFL will be playing. I'm not sure it's worth getting upset about a decision that everyone will be making in a few more weeks. The first time you get teams face to face in trenches it all ends. They will drag it out as long as possible but nobody is playing football this Fall. The "brands" will not be effected but the bank accounts will.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-07-2020 09:07 AM

(08-06-2020 09:57 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Thank god we are cancelling the season so everyone can be safe forever and ever.

Thank God we preserved the rights of many to spread the virus by not wearing masks. Things could be so much better right now, and we may have played in the fall.

Sometimes life requires a little sacrifice. Too much in our current society were unwilling to do so.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - bjk3047 - 08-07-2020 09:13 AM

(08-06-2020 09:57 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Thank god we are cancelling the season so everyone can be safe forever and ever.

Thank god we are cancelling iceberg lettuce, red cabbage and carrots so everyone can be safe forever and ever.

-Centdukesfan during any number of CDC cyclospora produce recalls over the last few years, probably

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-07-2020 09:20 AM

I'm happy to shoot for spring football.

Hockey, Basketball, and Baseball were delayed for 4 months. Is it really the end of the world if JMU football is pushed back by 4 months? With everything going on, is this really the biggest concern moving football back 4 months? Schools are changing, by the day, their academic schedules but football is fine? The reality some of you see is "unique" to how you think things should be, versus understanding how others see things.

As far as this being the push to FBS for JMU, I think this will have no effect. If anything, if enough pain is delivered lower level FBS conferences they may choose to realign to reduce travel in the future. I don't think they are there yet. Check back in the spring.....

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - formerjmusprinter84 - 08-07-2020 09:31 AM

(08-07-2020 08:36 AM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  

Exactly.

NCAA has guidelines on the amount of practice time, style of practice, etc, for the entire calendar year by segments. Everyone kicks off camp at generally the same time cause that is what is allowed. Starting/extending camp results in penalties. This isn't as simple as the redshirt / 5 year eligibility that we generally think about. There is a lot more to consider then "its fall lets play football!!!!!".

Has the NCAA stated that no one can start camp yet?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - ShadyP - 08-07-2020 09:35 AM

(08-07-2020 09:20 AM)Dukester Wrote:  I'm happy to shoot for spring football.

Hockey, Basketball, and Baseball were delayed for 4 months. Is it really the end of the world if JMU football is pushed back by 4 months? With everything going on, is this really the biggest concern moving football back 4 months? Schools are changing, by the day, their academic schedules but football is fine? The reality some of you see is "unique" to how you think things should be, versus understanding how others see things.

As far as this being the push to FBS for JMU, I think this will have no effect. If anything, if enough pain is delivered lower level FBS conferences they may choose to realign to reduce travel in the future. I don't think they are there yet. Check back in the spring.....

I have a concern for the health of the student athletes is football is played in the Spring. If that is done that is a lot of football in a calendar year considering football in spring of 2021 and then in fall of 2021. Also if someone is injured in the spring of 2021 they are likely to miss 2 seasons for a serious injury.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - AssyrianDuke - 08-07-2020 09:35 AM

(08-07-2020 09:31 AM)formerjmusprinter84 Wrote:  

Exactly.

I don't think so. I know some schools have had to postpone some activities because of Covid outbreaks.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NH/JMU Saxkow - 08-07-2020 09:43 AM

(08-07-2020 09:31 AM)formerjmusprinter84 Wrote:  

Exactly.

I think they said that they'll make an announcement next week about a meeting that they will have in 2 weeks regarding their announcement 3 weeks from now....

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 08-07-2020 09:45 AM

(08-07-2020 07:34 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  I dont understand this line of thinking - assuming we have a vaccine, big assumption i know, but why wouldnt we be playing sports if a vaccine is present? I mean otherwise we will never be playing sports ever again? This virus isnt going away, ever.

We'd probably be playing sports if a vaccine is widely available and all associated with the athletic department receive one. Best case scenario, it's sounding like Spring to Summer in terms of a widely available vaccine. It's all still a big unknown other than several month ball park estimates.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-07-2020 09:47 AM

(08-07-2020 09:35 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(08-07-2020 09:20 AM)Dukester Wrote:  I'm happy to shoot for spring football.

I have a concern for the health of the student athletes is football is played in the Spring. If that is done that is a lot of football in a calendar year considering football in spring of 2021 and then in fall of 2021. Also if someone is injured in the spring of 2021 they are likely to miss 2 seasons for a serious injury.

So are you preferring they just take the 20-21 season off?