CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Purplehazed - 08-06-2020 09:11 PM

Start the clock on program decline.

Bourne had an opportunity to product brand...and he did...fcs for life.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Purplehazed - 08-06-2020 09:19 PM

Cignetti can't talk about brand because his admin won't back it up. Elite fcs is not a brand outside of Fargo and Harrisonburg.

Cignetti should buy a house in Harrisonburg and plzy Gardner Webb and Norfolk State and shut up.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeDogNation - 08-06-2020 09:22 PM

I think I'm going to avoid the meltdowns that people will have here. I'll be back in a few weeks.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Purplehazed - 08-06-2020 09:31 PM

Amos to Liberty to showcase his skills competing against several ACC squads?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeThaDawg - 08-06-2020 09:40 PM

Greg Madia
@Madia_DNRSports
Just in, this from JMU assistant AD Kevin Warner: “Based upon developments on the national scene today, the team is pausing its opening workout originally scheduled for Friday morning until there is more clarity about a direction moving forward.”
https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/1291545010110976003

"pausing it's opening workout...until there is more clarity about a direction moving forward.”

That statement is so frustrating. It's like JMU is like the rest of us fans, and has no inside information on what's gonna happen. How much more wiggle room can you give yourself in an official statement?!? How much more vague can you be in an official statement.?!?

Can we get something definitive? If you cancel workouts, then it doesn't seem you'll be ready to play in a month. I guess the FBS/FCS schedule mix was never a real possibility, just lip service---No wonder why Cignetti got silenced. He came out right away saying that he wanted 3 or 4 FBS games. There are definitely FBS games to be had. I was on the UNC message board and they were saying that 9/19 date was being held for JMU.

If there is a fall season, JMU should play it because I highly doubt a spring FCS season will ever happen. The logistical nightmare of pulling that off would be insane.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Anders - 08-06-2020 09:42 PM

Hate to say it but those who are looking to hold the brand should hope for G5's to start cancelling seasons. I don't see the P5 cancelling at large at this point unless big time programs start imploding with positive results.

I hope we see as much football (safely) as possible for my sanity so I hope FBS can go as planned.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 08-06-2020 09:57 PM

Thank god we are cancelling the season so everyone can be safe forever and ever.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 08-06-2020 09:59 PM

Also - if we are cancelling football season, you can probably kiss basketball season goodbye.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 08-06-2020 11:34 PM

(08-06-2020 09:57 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Thank god we are cancelling the season so everyone can be safe forever and ever.

Where you been?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 08-07-2020 05:44 AM

Craig Haley @CraigHaley

As the #FCS world turns:

Big Sky and Pioneer Football League announcements to cancel fall season expected today.

Big South meetings today. Feeling a vote will occur given schools are practicing.

OVC, MVFC, SoCon and Southland are others in mix.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 08-07-2020 05:49 AM

(08-06-2020 05:45 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(08-04-2020 09:22 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  High School
VA: Football starts practice 2/15/21 and season is 3/1-5/1
Alabama: Playing as planned; A 3rd and 4th county (5 total schools) have cancelled the season (Green, Sumter, Barbour, Choctaw counties) and 2 others have delayed the start impacting two weeks/games (Muscle Shoals High, Deshler High)

Some updates...

1. 14 Georgia high school FB programs have suspended preseason practices indefinitely due to COVID breakouts (and several are high profile programs well-known throughout the state).

2. This week, South Carolina is the latest to push their season start back now to Sep. 25. The only Southern states who have not officially moved the start of their seasons back are Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas and Louisiana.

3. This week, on Monday Maryland moved its FB season to the spring. On Tuesday, Minnesota and Colorado did the same. They join California, Illinois, Nevada, New Mexico, Virginia and Washington as states now planning FB in the spring or winter.

Friday updates...

1. Yesterday the state of Louisiana moved back the start of HS FB to Oct. 8th.
2. Georgia cancelled all scrimmage games but as of now still sticking with start of season pushed back 2 weeks from original start.
3. A committee of athletic directors in Florida is recommending pushing back start of their HS FB season to December.
4. Delaware and Hawaii on Thursday became the 11th and 12th states to cancel fall sports.
5. Earlier this week Pennsylvania Governor, Tom Wolf, recommended all HS sports be postponed until 2021...though, his recommendation is not binding (for now).

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 08-07-2020 05:53 AM

(08-06-2020 11:34 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 09:57 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Thank god we are cancelling the season so everyone can be safe forever and ever.

Where you been?

Ive learned if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it all.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukeman2 - 08-07-2020 06:04 AM

Charlotte 49ers open preseason camp today

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Duke Dawg - 08-07-2020 06:19 AM

(08-06-2020 08:40 PM)jmufbs Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 08:35 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  From Madia
Breaking now: training camp for Dukes was originally supposed to start Friday. That won't happen now.
Just in, this from JMU assistant AD Kevin Warner: “Based upon developments on the national scene today, the team is pausing its opening workout originally scheduled for Friday morning until there is more clarity about a direction moving forward.”

What more clarity do they need. The FCS didn't meet the 50% threshold for the post season. And Bourne said that if there were no playoffs, JMU would not play.

I feel very bad for these kids. They must be heartbroken.
And I feel bad for us fans....Now we know, it's FCS for life for us

VT Liberty UVA VMI ODU all playing and hoping to find a way to do it safely ( so far)
JMU ? this decision will say a lot about our brand going forward. Covid protocol and testing was in good shape at JMU thus far. can't blame that .
I fear this decision was already made many weeks ago when Bourne made the " 50 % " comment. have we been strung along ?

i just don't understand this line of thinking. nobody is being strung along.

we are doing everything possible to play this year, but if we have no one to play, exactly what are we supposed to do?

FBS teams aren't available. All of FCS seems to be bailing or moving to spring.

can't play D2 or D3 teams...they already cancelled.

Half of the G5 still hasn't decided and the ones that did, announced about 3 seconds ago.

We obviously have the UNC game on deck, but the announcment is being held up to see if we can put a full schedule together.

maybe we can play UNC one week and then do shirts and skins amongst ourselves for 10 weeks.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - HyperDuke - 08-07-2020 06:44 AM

(08-07-2020 05:53 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 11:34 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  

Where you been?

Ive learned if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it all.

Word. I’m bad at that.

Hope your move to Huntsville with the fam went/goes smoothly. Smooches.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 08-07-2020 07:18 AM

My Friday morning "Am I reading too much into this?" thought after this cryptic tweet from Cignetti.

"Lets take a little break....... Unfinished Business"

Spring football? Fingers crossed.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 08-07-2020 07:25 AM

(08-06-2020 09:59 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Also - if we are cancelling football season, you can probably kiss basketball season goodbye.

You can probably kiss all but maybe Spring 2021 sports goodbye, but anyone paying attention has known this for months.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - olddawg - 08-07-2020 07:26 AM

IF FBS winds up playing and FCS (as a whole) bails, is this the final kick in the pants to leave the FCS world? We wanted to play this season. But our whole conference, except Elon, punted the season away. Further proof that we are not aligned with our FCS "peers".

I could reluctantly live with no JMU football this year- if not for the likelihood that the FBS teams will play. Tough to swallow when the decision is basically out of our hands due to the level we are affiliated with.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeThaDawg - 08-07-2020 07:27 AM

(08-07-2020 06:19 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 08:40 PM)jmufbs Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 08:35 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  From Madia
Breaking now: training camp for Dukes was originally supposed to start Friday. That won't happen now.

What more clarity do they need. The FCS didn't meet the 50% threshold for the post season. And Bourne said that if there were no playoffs, JMU would not play.

I feel very bad for these kids. They must be heartbroken.
And I feel bad for us fans....Now we know, it's FCS for life for us

VT Liberty UVA VMI ODU all playing and hoping to find a way to do it safely ( so far)
JMU ? this decision will say a lot about our brand going forward. Covid protocol and testing was in good shape at JMU thus far. can't blame that .
I fear this decision was already made many weeks ago when Bourne made the " 50 % " comment. have we been strung along ?

i just don't understand this line of thinking. nobody is being strung along.

we are doing everything possible to play this year, but if we have no one to play, exactly what are we supposed to do?

FBS teams aren't available. All of FCS seems to be bailing or moving to spring.

can't play D2 or D3 teams...they already cancelled.

Half of the G5 still hasn't decided and the ones that did, announced about 3 seconds ago.

We obviously have the UNC game on deck, but the announcment is being held up to see if we can put a full schedule together.

maybe we can play UNC one week and then do shirts and skins amongst ourselves for 10 weeks.

You just don't understand this line of thinking, that nobody is being strung along??

Tell that to the players who have been practicing, training, and getting tested since July 6th. Who were ready to start fall camp today. Who have been moving forward to get ready to play a season---and are now told by the AD they are now, "pausing its opening workout originally scheduled for Friday morning until there is more clarity about a direction moving forward.”

""pausing its opening workout" would seem to indicate that JMU is heavily leaning towards cancelling the season, because if they were leaning towards playing there would be no reason to pause anything, because it would be more important to get ready to play.

"more clarity about a direction moving forward.” What more clarity do they need? Are they waiting for the official cancellation of the fall post season? This seems to indicate that JMU was completely wedded to the idea, that there had to be a fall post season, in order to play. Which means, the FBS/FCS mixed schedule was never a reality.

I really thought JMU was working behind the scenes to put together a tentative schedule that they could announce. But it just seems they were sitting back waiting on an announcement of a fall post season before deciding anything.

If JMU wants to cancel the season, then they should just do it. Waiting on "higher powers" to make a decision, so then they can use that as cover is the definition of stringing someone along. Forget about us fans---the players and coaches deserve to know what they're looking at. I feel tremendous compassion for the roller coaster those 2 groups have gone through

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 08-07-2020 07:34 AM

(08-07-2020 07:25 AM)Potomac Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 09:59 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Also - if we are cancelling football season, you can probably kiss basketball season goodbye.

You can probably kiss all but maybe Spring 2021 sports goodbye, but anyone paying attention has known this for months.

I dont understand this line of thinking - assuming we have a vaccine, big assumption i know, but why wouldnt we be playing sports if a vaccine is present? I mean otherwise we will never be playing sports ever again? This virus isnt going away, ever.