CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeDogNation - 08-01-2020 06:46 PM

(08-01-2020 05:57 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  
(08-01-2020 05:31 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  I hope I’m dead wrong about this, and don’t shoot the messenger, but I just don’t see Fall FB at JMU. Maybe a restart in the Spring.

I fear you are dead right!!! What's so sad is not only has the fan base been strung along the last 2 to 3 weeks---but so have the coaches and players. JMU has WASTED tons of money bringing these players back to campus--- training, feeding, housing them, and conducting testing and quarantines.

If my theory about contract requirements is correct, the money you spend now to try to salvage a season is less than what you'd pay in penalties.

I haven't seen the actual contracts, but JMU has a contract with Learfield for JMU football's multimedia rights and it has contracts with various companies to be official sponsors of JMU football. If the terms of the contract aren't met, I would have to imagine that there are penalties in place. This theory supports the trend of certain D3, D2, and smaller FCS conferences cancelling early while bigger conferences and schools with their own media deals and large sponsorship deals hold out.

Sometimes spending a little money now is better than losing a whole lot of money later.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeThaDawg - 08-01-2020 08:07 PM

Power 5 Leaders Exploring Possibility of Staging Their Own Fall Sports Championships
https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/01/power-5-exploring-staging-own-fall-sports-championships-2020

It's a long read---But maybe it will put into perspective that some of the *tin foil hat* conspiracy accusations aren't so conspiratorial after all. Politics and Optics

"Multiple sources said part of the motivation for the Power 5 considering hosting its own fall Olympic sports seasons is to justify playing football, the revenue-driving sport for all athletic departments at that level. If all the other sports are canceled but football perseveres on its own, the optics would open up the schools to severe criticism. Thus, playing all fall sports would allow those schools to say that they are not uniquely subjecting football players to any risk."

"Given the P5 incentive to justify football, the Board of Governors' decision—and rationale—will be critical. If it decides to cancel fall sports championships for COVID-19 health and safety reasons, it would be difficult for the Power 5 to justify going its own way without a plan that they can definitively protect their athletes. But if the board says that the cost of safely conducting championships is prohibitive, the Power 5 could have an avenue to play all its fall sports—football included."

"In recent days, Power 5 conference officials began seeking feedback from their members about the feasibility of staging their own championships during the fall, sources told SI"

The NCAA Board of Governors is expected to decide the fate of fall sports championships—except for FBS football—on Tuesday.

Let's hope the P5 can exert enough pressure on the NCAA to continue to run cover for them---by not cancelling the fall sports championships. Because then Bourne's little self-sabotage escape clause will vanish---If Bourne can be taken at his word, if there is fall championships, he'll have to schedule a season

"When asked if such a move away from the NCAA championship structure could be seen as a precedent-setting rift between the national governing body of college sports and the Power 5, one athletic director said, "If I were (NCAA president Mark) Emmert, I'd be really worried about it. He's got to keep the Power 5 together."

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMURocks - 08-02-2020 12:39 PM

More "mainstream" evidence emerging that up to 50% of the population may be naturally immune, and therefore herd immunity may occur at much lower levels of infection. This backs up prior studies I have read on the topic.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/health/gupta-coronavirus-t-cell-cross-reactivity-immunity-wellness/index.html

Quote:If you have 50% already in a way immune, because of these existing immune responses, then you don't need 60 to 80%, you need 10 to 30% -- you have covered the 50% already. The implications of having some pre-existing immunity suggests that maybe you need a small proportion of the population to be impacted before the epidemic wave dies out," said Dr. John Ioannidis, a professor of medicine and epidemiology and population health at Stanford University.

Given that antibody tests have shown approximately 25% of New York was infected, it is quite possible they are at, or close to herd immunity there. The low infection and death rates there now support this theory.

New York had a bad wave where many suffered, and not suggesting it should be our goal to get infected, only that this may burn itself out in certain regions before we get to a vaccine.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - #20fromalongtimeago - 08-02-2020 05:40 PM

I'm not sure what is going to happen with fall sports. Reading these boards makes me feel like it will be pushed/canceled etc. BUT I wanted to give everyone some hope.

My daughter a rising SR in HS who recently verbally committed to a P5 program came down with COVID-19. She was sick with a headache, fever and congestion for 36 hours. She was exposed to other athletes prior to knowing she had it. There was no secondary spread with the athletes she was around. My wife was in a car for 2 hours with her waiting to be tested and both wore masks. My wife never came down with it or anyone in our household. My daughter's symptoms were comparable to a cold.

A person that works for me tested positive for Covid-19 and while she was asymptomatic sat in a closed door office for 4 hours with another employee with a surgical mask on and had no additional spread. This employee felt better after 3 days and compared the symptoms to a cold.

I personally know 4-5 athletes in our community that have been COVID 19 positive. All similar to my daughter with symptoms, duration and additional spread.

In our community in the deep south we have seen high positive case numbers however less and less are hospitalized. In fact .13% (less than 1%) are hospitalized according to CDC stats.

A few real world examples and some actual stats. I'm hoping fall sports go on and we look at the statistics and trends to make the best decisions for our communities, athletes, and friends/family. My daughter has worked her tail off and to see other athletes miss the opportunity because of COVID-19 is devastating.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMURocks - 08-02-2020 07:51 PM

If the NCAA BoG next week decides to cancel fall Championships, the P5 may decide to hold their own in all fall sports:

https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/01/power-5-exploring-staging-own-fall-sports-championships-2020

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeThaDawg - 08-02-2020 08:01 PM

(08-02-2020 07:51 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  If the NCAA BoG next week decides to cancel fall Championships, the P5 may decide to hold their own in all fall sports:

Guess you missed the earlier post

Power 5 Leaders Exploring Possibility of Staging Their Own Fall Sports Championships

It's a long read---But maybe it will put into perspective that some of the *tin foil hat* conspiracy accusations aren't so conspiratorial after all. Politics and Optics

"Multiple sources said part of the motivation for the Power 5 considering hosting its own fall Olympic sports seasons is to justify playing football, the revenue-driving sport for all athletic departments at that level. If all the other sports are canceled but football perseveres on its own, the optics would open up the schools to severe criticism. Thus, playing all fall sports would allow those schools to say that they are not uniquely subjecting football players to any risk."

"Given the P5 incentive to justify football, the Board of Governors' decision—and rationale—will be critical. If it decides to cancel fall sports championships for COVID-19 health and safety reasons, it would be difficult for the Power 5 to justify going its own way without a plan that they can definitively protect their athletes. But if the board says that the cost of safely conducting championships is prohibitive, the Power 5 could have an avenue to play all its fall sports—football included."

"In recent days, Power 5 conference officials began seeking feedback from their members about the feasibility of staging their own championships during the fall, sources told SI"

The NCAA Board of Governors is expected to decide the fate of fall sports championships—except for FBS football—on Tuesday.

Let's hope the P5 can exert enough pressure on the NCAA to continue to run cover for them---by not cancelling the fall sports championships. Because then Bourne's little self-sabotage escape clause will vanish---If Bourne can be taken at his word, if there is fall championships, he'll have to schedule a season

"When asked if such a move away from the NCAA championship structure could be seen as a precedent-setting rift between the national governing body of college sports and the Power 5, one athletic director said, "If I were (NCAA president Mark) Emmert, I'd be really worried about it. He's got to keep the Power 5 together."

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMURocks - 08-02-2020 08:14 PM

Yes, sorry DukeThaDawg, my eyes somehow missed your post.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeThaDawg - 08-02-2020 08:19 PM

If would say---obviously, this is a warning shot to the NCAA that if they cancel the fall sports post season, the P5 will play without them. But it could also be a subtle threat to the G5 and FCS, to not support any attempt to cancel fall championships in the NCAA councils. The P5 is warning that if the others vote to cancel, the P5 will leave them behind, which of course would be disastrous for G5 in all areas and FCS in all areas outside of football.

In reality, I wouldn't think the P5 would want to spend money on championships that will not make any money for them. These are really subtle threats because they want the NCAA to continue to run cover for them---How bad does it look for the P5 when they insist it's safe enough for a football season and CFP, but the NCAA cancels fall post seasons in other fall sports? How can they justify providing all these COVID protocols for football but not other sports (particularly women's sports)?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeDogNation - 08-02-2020 09:01 PM

(08-02-2020 05:40 PM)#20fromalongtimeago Wrote:  In our community in the deep south we have seen high positive case numbers however less and less are hospitalized. In fact .13% (less than 1%) are hospitalized according to CDC stats.

A few real world examples and some actual stats. I'm hoping fall sports go on and we look at the statistics and trends to make the best decisions for our communities, athletes, and friends/family. My daughter has worked her tail off and to see other athletes miss the opportunity because of COVID-19 is devastating.

I'm curious where you can find local level statistics on the CDC's website. I'd be interested to dig down into my surrounding communities' statistics from the CDC at such a granular level.

--

I've also been thinking about some real world examples this week, specifically surrounding the reopening of K-12 schools. This is the culmination of a lot of reading and thinking. While you are quoted at the top #20fromalongtimeago, the rest of this post isn't meant for you in particular. Also, the fact that 20,000 young people will be returning to Harrisonburg in the next few weeks there are some parallels. I'll try to draw those parallels at the end of the post, but mods feel free to remove this if you find it to be too off topic.

First, the CDC recently posted a case study from South Korea looking at the prevalence of household spread in COVID cases. It found that household spread was higher when a child had COVID in the home (18.6%) compared to the general rate of household transmission (11.8%). This makes sense as it's more likely for adults to be able to distance themselves within a household than a child may be able to. When we're talking about reduced transmission rates among kids, we're really referring to young kids. The household transmission rate when a young kid had COVID in the home was 5.3% for kids aged 0-9.

Second, the CDC recently posted another case study of an overnight camp in Georgia that experienced an outbreak of COVID among its campers and counselors. In this camp, campers were not required to wear masks while counselors were. 597 Georgia residents attended the camp, but only 334 test results were available from campers and counselors. Among the 334 tested, 76% came back positive. The attack rate of the virus (the number of people who tested positive in a given population divided by the total number of people in that population) was 51% among kids aged 6–10 years old, 44% among kids aged 11–17 years old, and 33% among young people aged 18–21 years old. The attack rate among camp staff was 56%. The CDC aknoweldges that those attack rates are the floor since a number of tests were unavailable to them. I'm not trying to suggest that these are the kinds of numbers that we will see in K-12 schools because it's certain that kids in K-12 schools aren't coming into as much contact or being around each other for as long as they would in an overnight camp. But what it does tell us is that kids can get COVID and can spread COVID.

The idea that kids can't get or spread COVID or do so at lower rates doesn't jive with what we know about other respiratory diseases. What is likely true is that kids, especially young kids, for one reason or another don't experience as severe symptoms as adults and especially older adults. In the early days of COVID, where tests were scarce, it didn't make sense to test kids unless they had severe signs and symptoms. That was happening at a much lower rate in kids, so many fewer kids were tested than adults. So what we saw was many kids having mild or no symptoms, but they could have been spreading it much more than we know.

The final piece of information I will show is anecdotal, similar to your stories, but it is illuminating of the realities of this disease. Jeff Gregorich was interviewed by the Washington Post for its "Voices of the Pandemic" series. Jeff is a superintendent of a rural school district in Arizona. He's struggling with the decision to reopen schools in a very poor, predominantly Hispanic school district because if he does not have school in-person he will not receive funding from the state government totaling about 5% of the district's annual budget. The district has already seen 11% of their staff test positive for COVID even without kids in the buildings.

The decision over whether to reopen physically is especially hard, because one of the district's teachers died of COVID over the summer. I will post the section where Jeff addresses this episode below:

Quote:Mrs. Byrd did everything right. She followed all the protocols. If there’s such a thing as a safe, controlled environment inside a classroom during a pandemic, that was it. We had three teachers sharing a room so they could teach a virtual summer school. They were so careful. This was back in June, when cases here were starting to spike. The kids were at home, but the teachers wanted to be together in the classroom so they could team up on the new technology. I thought that was a good idea. It’s a big room. They could watch and learn from each other. Mrs. Byrd was a master teacher. She’d been here since 1982, and she was always coming up with creative ideas. They delivered care packages to the elementary students so they could sprout beans for something hands-on at home, and then the teachers all took turns in front of the camera. All three of them wore masks. They checked their temperatures. They taught on their own devices and didn’t share anything, not even a pencil.

At first she thought it was a sinus infection. That’s what the doctor told her, but it kept getting worse. I got a call that she’d been rushed to the hospital. Her oxygen was low, and they put her on a ventilator pretty much right away. The other two teachers started feeling sick the same weekend, so they went to get tested. They both had it bad for the next month. Mrs. Byrd’s husband got it and was hospitalized. Her brother got it and passed away. Mrs. Byrd fought for a few weeks until she couldn’t anymore.

As someone who will return to a public school building in the fall this account is absolutely bone chilling. The area that I teach in has much lower transmission rates than Arizona at large, but I would hate to see this situation play out among my coworkers and my kids.

Could we unknowingly be nearing a lowered point of herd immunity? Yes. Could the negative consequences of the response outweigh the negatives of letting COVID run wild? Maybe. Personally, I don't think so. Could this whole situation turn out to be a nothing burger that has no effect at all? Sure.

But it is very likely that we are about to throw accelerant on embers that we know are burning. The knock on effect of kids infecting their parents or grand parents could have deadly consequences. I honestly hope that what I'm saying turns out to be untrue or unfounded, I desperately want for things to just go back to normal. My life has been affected by COVID in ways that I anticipated and lot of ways that I didn't.

Now, getting back to JMU...Harrisonburg has seen reduced transmission in July compared to April and May, but there are still positive cases being identified almost every day. Luckily our returning sports teams have had access to the "test, contact trace, isolate" procedures in a way that the general public has not. Personally I see the lack of cases and spread as an expected outcome of the system. The real test will be when student-athletes are allowed to act more like regular students: going to classes, eating in dining halls, going to social gatherings, running errands, etc. We've seen in professional sports that a "bubble" is the more effective than letting players do what they want outside of their training and competition.

I 100% feel for these kids having their lives upended. It has to be heartbreaking to see all the training you've done, all the work you've put in gone due to an essentially invisible foe. If fall sports are cancelled I hope that the appropriate mental health supports are in place for these student-athletes, many of them whose identities are centered around the sport that they play.

To weave all of these threads together, while it's unlikely that kids (young kids to college aged kids) will get severely sick or die; it's very likely that schools (K-12 and higher ed) will be centers of infection within their communities. And even if those kids aren't getting severely sick or dying, they will be spreading the disease to people who may get sick or die or will be at a much higher risk of getting sick or dying. This is a problem that faces our whole society, not just one subgroup or geographic area, and the solution has to address the problem as such.

Again, I would love to be wrong about this! Maybe it will just go away and you can all point at me and laugh and I would be fine with that. But at some point we all have to look reality in the eye, have empathy for our fellow humans, and understand that we will all have to sacrifice things, time, money, non-needs in exchange to lessen the suffering in our society.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeDogNation - 08-02-2020 09:45 PM

Also, another quick update from the MLB:

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-03-2020 08:18 AM

Baseball is not using the POD system. 10 teams did not play due to Convid yesterday.

Basketball and Hockey use the POD system, and one week in has worked.

NFL is planning on pro football in the fall. They will have daily testing.

College football in the ACC is requiring weekly testing. So college football will return without the POD structure, and feels fine testing 1/7th as much as the NFL.

What will cause the biggest issue, a player/coach dying, or a player/coach being on a ventilator for 3-5 weeks with daily reporting on their condition?

It surprises me a bit of JMU's approach to football. Other than facilities, they seem to be less aggressive when is comes to major sports decisions. If you had presented this situation to me a year ago (which I would of never believed), and asked JMU's stance, I would of guessed they would of decided not to play in the fall.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 08-03-2020 08:34 AM

Sports Illustrated article of note... https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/02/ncaa-doubts-survive-explosive-weekend-power-5-breakaway

"Explosive weekend raises doubts about whether the NCAA can (and should) survive"

“It’s probably the toughest period the NCAA has faced in a long time,” a veteran Power 5 athletic director told Sports Illustrated Sunday. “I can’t look at an issue in recent times and say, ‘We got good leadership on that.’ It’s hard not to see significant change coming out of this.”

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 08-03-2020 08:45 AM

FWIW, no surprise at all, but the Sun Belt is reportedly going to announce later today they will stick with an 8-game conference FB schedule and keep all of their scheduled non-conference games (and we can assume will try to schedule more to fill gaps from lost games where available).

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 08-03-2020 08:57 AM

Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy

Sun Belt schools to play original 12-game schedules, including 8 conference games, sources told @Stadium. 1st report by @Keff_C. Teams not required to, but may replace canceled nonconference games as needed. Sun Belt title game could be pushed back 1 week to Dec. 12, source said

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 08-03-2020 09:00 AM

We've been so focused on whether CFB will take place or not, revised scheduling schemes, and so forth, it just dawned on me over the weekend we are now inside 4 weeks of the season actually starting. More teams are looking to move games up to the Week Zero (Aug. 29th this year) date as the NCAA has waived normal rules for who can play on that date this year and programs want to spread their seasons out as much as possible with as many bye weeks as they can.

Also, it will be interesting to see if we learn anything this week about JMU's schedule. The NCAA supposedly this week is going to rule on whether fall championships will take place (or will they kick the can down the road yet again?).

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-03-2020 09:48 AM

(08-03-2020 09:00 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  We've been so focused on whether CFB will take place or not, revised scheduling schemes, and so forth, it just dawned on me over the weekend we are now inside 4 weeks of the season actually starting. More teams are looking to move games up to the Week Zero (Aug. 29th this year) date as the NCAA has waived normal rules for who can play on that date this year and programs want to spread their seasons out as much as possible with as many bye weeks as they can.

Also, it will be interesting to see if we learn anything this week about JMU's schedule. The NCAA supposedly this week is going to rule on whether fall championships will take place (or will they kick the can down the road yet again?).

Speaking of not knowing.....

Is the JMU Football team in the Burg practicing?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeThaDawg - 08-03-2020 09:56 AM

(08-03-2020 08:34 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Sports Illustrated article of note... https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/02/ncaa-doubts-survive-explosive-weekend-power-5-breakaway

"Explosive weekend raises doubts about whether the NCAA can (and should) survive"

“It’s probably the toughest period the NCAA has faced in a long time,” a veteran Power 5 athletic director told Sports Illustrated Sunday. “I can’t look at an issue in recent times and say, ‘We got good leadership on that.’ It’s hard not to see significant change coming out of this.”

This ^^^ article goes hand-in-hand with a previous one Forde wrote from Saturday

Some key points from today's article by Forde
https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/02/ncaa-doubts-survive-explosive-weekend-power-5-breakaway
"Taken individually, each story is startling news. Taken collectively, it is a flurry of body blows that signal a critical inflection point for college sports. Is a controversial collegiate system buckling beneath its own weight? Can eternally embattled NCAA president Mark Emmert survive this? Should either Emmert or the institution itself survive?"

"...noting that small colleges with far less interest in athletics than the Division I powers could block an attempt to oust Emmert, who has better support on the presidential level, particularly in Divisions II and III. “Is there anything that speaks more to the limitations of the NCAA than the fact that Mark will probably survive?”

"The disconnect was never more apparent than two weeks ago, when the NCAA Board of Governors was prepared to cancel or postpone all fall sports before an 11th-hour request from DI administrators resulted in delaying that vote....Said vote could happen Tuesday, when the Board of Governors meets again. The expectation is that the board will cancel/postpone at the Division II and III levels while holding off on a decision on DI."

There are politics at play, and I would say---obviously, this is a warning shot to the NCAA that if they cancel the fall sports post season, the P5 will play without them. But it could also be a subtle threat to the G5 and FCS, to not support any attempt to cancel fall championships in the NCAA councils. The P5 is warning that if the others vote to cancel, the P5 will leave them behind, which of course would be disastrous for G5 in all areas and FCS in all areas outside of football.

But there are more subtle reasons the P5 wants the NCAA to continue to run cover for them.
"For years, the Power 5 has tolerated the NCAA for two big reasons: it organized, hosted and paid for national championships (well) and enforced the rulebook (not so well). Now, the championship part is subject to revocation. The compliance part is the harder part, because the feuding five conferences would seem as unlikely as rival organized crime syndicates at coming up with a way to police each other....“Just as they couldn’t consolidate over the fall schedule, so I think they’d have difficulty forming an entirely new entity,” an AD said Sunday."

In reality, I would think the P5 would NOT want to spend money on championships that will not make any money for them. These are really subtle threats because they want the NCAA to continue to run cover for them---How bad does it look for the P5 when they insist it's safe enough for a football season and CFP, but the NCAA cancels fall post seasons in other fall sports? How can they justify providing all these COVID protocols for football but not other sports (particularly women's sports)?

As far as how this effects JMU---Let's hope the P5 can exert enough pressure on the NCAA to continue to run cover for them---by not cancelling the fall sports championships. Because then Bourne's little self-sabotage escape clause will vanish---Bourne will have to then honor his word, if there is fall championships, he'll have to schedule a season

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-03-2020 10:22 AM

Back to my question - Has the JMU football team started to practice, or set a date to start practices?

I looked in a couple places and could not seem to find the answer. I would think we would of initially be scheduled to start practices no later than today.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeThaDawg - 08-03-2020 10:25 AM

(08-03-2020 09:48 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(08-03-2020 09:00 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  We've been so focused on whether CFB will take place or not, revised scheduling schemes, and so forth, it just dawned on me over the weekend we are now inside 4 weeks of the season actually starting. More teams are looking to move games up to the Week Zero (Aug. 29th this year) date as the NCAA has waived normal rules for who can play on that date this year and programs want to spread their seasons out as much as possible with as many bye weeks as they can.

Yes---JMU football team has been in the Burg since July 6th, and practicing/training since July 13th. They are being housed, fed, and tested.
They have been conducting walk throughs since last week.

Per Madia in regards to testing
In total: JMU has administered 192 coronavirus tests to staff members and players, and found two asymptomatic positives.
https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/1286781666502021121

In addition to the football team, JMU has brought back, MBB, WBB and WSoc
Per Madia in regards to overall testing
And across JMU FB, MBB, WBB and WSoc, that’s 222 tests with just
two asymptomatic positives (both football).
https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/1288240487887966211

JMU has gone all in bringing players back to campus, and testing them. That's a big time and money commitment. Let's hope that commitment leads to a commitment to have a season

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 08-03-2020 10:31 AM

(08-03-2020 10:25 AM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  
(08-03-2020 09:48 AM)Dukester Wrote:  

Yes---JMU football team has been in the Burg since July 6th, and practicing/training since July 13th. They are being housed, fed, and tested.
They have been conducting walk throughs since last week.

Per Madia in regards to testing
In total: JMU has administered 192 coronavirus tests to staff members and players, and found two asymptomatic positives.
https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/1286781666502021121

In addition to the football team, JMU has brought back, MBB, WBB and WSoc
Per Madia in regards to overall testing
And across JMU FB, MBB, WBB and WSoc, that’s 222 tests with just
two asymptomatic positives (both football).
https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/1288240487887966211

JMU has gone all in bringing players back to campus, and testing them. That's a big time and money commitment. Let's hope that commitment leads to a commitment to have a season

At the very least it allows for Football to make up for the lost spring practice.