CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeDogNation - 07-29-2020 01:13 PM

(07-29-2020 01:10 PM)Purple Wrote:  Since JMU and Elon are planning to play, it seems like there should still be a CAA AQ between JMU and Elon, whichever posts the better record.

I think the NCAA and other conferences argument against this would be that the conference isn't playing, JMU and Elon are playing independent of the CAA so no AQ. In the unlikely event that there is an NCAA tournament, I would imagine there will be an altered selection criteria for a smaller pool of schools.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 07-29-2020 01:14 PM

(07-29-2020 11:52 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Lord have mercy..you're reacting as if it was a harsh accusation and that you were the one who built the bar charts...calm down...

There is a much better chart - built by the same guy - reposting it for you here:
https://app.flourish.studio/visualisation/3190904/

Leaving off the two biggest killers IN THE WORLD is strange - I don't know if there are intentions behind it, and neither do you..let it drift...it's a headscratcher.

Statistics are easily manipulated - I kinda have a degree in that from JMU - that's the point and people need to be careful when visualizing these things.

My reaction was a emoji, I'm not sure how much calmer I can get. 04-cheers

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Purple - 07-29-2020 01:30 PM

(07-29-2020 01:13 PM)DukeDogNation Wrote:  
(07-29-2020 01:10 PM)Purple Wrote:  Since JMU and Elon are planning to play, it seems like there should still be a CAA AQ between JMU and Elon, whichever posts the better record.

I think the NCAA and other conferences argument against this would be that the conference isn't playing, JMU and Elon are playing independent of the CAA so no AQ. In the unlikely event that there is an NCAA tournament, I would imagine there will be an altered selection criteria for a smaller pool of schools.

That makes sense. I just don't want to see the committee hose us as they usually like to do. With only an at-large chance at the field, the committee could very well say, "Well, sure, JMU is undefeated in FCS and has two FBS wins. We just think Incarnate Friggin Word is more qualified with only two total losses," even though they were both to FCS nobodies.

I just don't trust the committee. Even if we make the at-large field, they will probably send us to Fargo in the first round.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 07-29-2020 01:34 PM

id be surprised if there isnt some kind of restriction on fans at NDSU for these games indoors. Outdoors I can see, indoors is a whole other ballgame.

Is the NDSU advantage as big when the place isnt full?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 07-29-2020 01:41 PM

(07-29-2020 12:03 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(07-29-2020 10:51 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  From Mr. College Football moments ago...

Tony Barnhart @MrCFB

Confirmed by @blauds of @TheMediaGuides. ACC schools have their football schedules. Waiting for dates.

Maybe we will soon learn of the JMU-UNCheat game, on or off officially???

https://www.si.com/college/ncstate/football/ncstate-wolfpack-football-2020-swofford-schedule-vote-delay

More monitoring ... 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Obviously not a good sign in regards to football returning.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 07-29-2020 01:49 PM

(07-29-2020 01:34 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  id be surprised if there isnt some kind of restriction on fans at NDSU for these games indoors. Outdoors I can see, indoors is a whole other ballgame.

Yes, I'm too lazy to confirm it but I'm pretty sure as of like a year ago their away game record was actually better than their home record. They had an advantage back when they had the old carpet style turf, but since then their advantage is that they are the better team on the field 99% of the time.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 07-29-2020 02:42 PM

(07-29-2020 01:34 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  id be surprised if there isnt some kind of restriction on fans at NDSU for these games indoors. Outdoors I can see, indoors is a whole other ballgame.

I'd think, at the very least, there would be a restriction on attendance at every college football game in the short term.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMURocks - 07-29-2020 03:07 PM

(07-29-2020 01:49 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  

Yes, I'm too lazy to confirm it but I'm pretty sure as of like a year ago their away game record was actually better than their home record. They had an advantage back when they had the old carpet style turf, but since then their advantage is that they are the better team on the field 99% of the time.

Believe this is true, but stats can be deceiving. Would need to look more at depth at the teams they played home and away. Frisco counts as a home game for them most years, and they likely don’t face any of the better playoff teams on the road very often.

The decibel levels in the tin dome are insane, and caused us several false starts/penalties etc when playing there.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 07-29-2020 03:24 PM

(07-29-2020 01:49 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  

Since 2011 - 8 total losses. 5 @ home ('11, '12, '15, '16 & '16), 3 away ('14, '15, '16)

Going a little deeper, in those 5 home losse the opponents ranks at the time were NR, NR, NR, 11/14, 5/5. In away losses the opponents were ranked 19/20, 12/13, 10/8. So looks like losses to inferior teams at home is more common. Performance against the spread would be even better, but yeah, not doing that. They lost only 6.1% of home games (82 total) and lost 6.8% of away games (44 total) over those years.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Deacon Danny - 07-29-2020 03:54 PM

ACC teams will play 10 conference games, and 1 non-conference game.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 07-29-2020 03:59 PM

I'll be utterly shocked if they do any restriction on fans. They'll all **** a brick at the idea. My jaw will drop if they have an empty stadium. 04-jawdrop

Their biggest advantage would be gone and it'll impact players a bit too, even if marginally.

I'm not saying they should have fans there, I just see some epic pants shitting going on up north if they do restrict things.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 07-29-2020 04:05 PM

(07-29-2020 03:54 PM)Deacon Danny Wrote:  ACC teams will play 10 conference games, and 1 non-conference game.

Here's to hoping they stick with JMU, if for any reason than we'll be a cheaper check to write than UConn. They'll be stuck with only 5 home games if they choose to go on the road to UCF or neutral site Auburn (also subject to SEC OOC decision).

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 07-29-2020 04:08 PM

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Sources: The NEC will not have fall sports in 2020.

Official announcement expected soon.

JMU will lose its first OOC opponent when this gets formally announced. Bye Merrimack.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Deacon Danny - 07-29-2020 04:08 PM

(07-29-2020 04:05 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(07-29-2020 03:54 PM)Deacon Danny Wrote:  ACC teams will play 10 conference games, and 1 non-conference game.

Here's to hoping they stick with JMU, if for any reason than we'll be a cheaper check to write than UConn. They'll be stuck with only 5 home games if they choose to go on the road to UCF or neutral site Auburn (also subject to SEC OOC decision).

The away game must be played in the ACC team's home state. That leaves them with JMU and UConn. The UConn series is a traditional home and home - no money involved.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Potomac - 07-29-2020 04:10 PM

(07-29-2020 04:08 PM)Deacon Danny Wrote:  The away game must be played in the ACC team's home state. That leaves them with JMU and UConn. The UConn series is a traditional home and home - no money involved.

If so, they'll pick UConn to save the cash. We just lost two OOC opponents in literally minutes.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Deacon Danny - 07-29-2020 04:15 PM

(07-29-2020 04:10 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(07-29-2020 04:08 PM)Deacon Danny Wrote:  The away game must be played in the ACC team's home state. That leaves them with JMU and UConn. The UConn series is a traditional home and home - no money involved.

If so, they'll pick UConn to save the cash. We just lost two OOC opponents in literally minutes.

Our best chance would be if the AAC chooses a similar scheduling model.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeThaDawg - 07-29-2020 04:30 PM

This is a bad day for JMU and potential opponents.
10 ACC contests and one non conference game against an opponent that resides in the home state of league members.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/acc-football-schedule-2020-notre-dame-joins-league-for-11-game-season-with-one-nonconference-contest/

And that wipes out UVA and VT as potential opponents
UVA plays ODU 10/24---and VT plays Liberty 9/5
And it probably wipes out ODU and Liberty as well, as they now have OOC games that have been saved

Our game vs Merrimack will soon be gone
As Jon Rothstien reported---The NEC will not have fall sports in 2020. Official announcement expected soon.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1288574814421213184

This was always my worst fear---JMU is ready, willing and able to play, but because every conference goes to conference only models----JMU has nobody to play.

Per Madia tweet
JMU’s trip to UNC (Sept. 19) could still be in play.
https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports

According to that tweet. These teams got ACC OOC games cancelled---some that hopefully JMU can fill.
Navy
MTSU
Marshall
ODU

Big 12 teams are still filling body bag games that have been cancelled. Maybe the SEC will be looking to do the same. Bourne should keep that option open to JMU

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - 14SemesterDuke - 07-29-2020 04:34 PM

You all are getting this wrong. ACC’s non-conference game must be home OR in-state away, thus leaving JMU coming to UNC in play.

Edit: I’m seeing different things. CBS says non conference must be in-state , but ACC graphic clearly said Home or Away (In state only)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Deacon Danny - 07-29-2020 04:36 PM

(07-29-2020 04:30 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  This is a bad day for JMU and potential opponents.
10 ACC contests and one non conference game against an opponent that resides in the home state of league members.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/acc-football-schedule-2020-notre-dame-joins-league-for-11-game-season-with-one-nonconference-contest/

So that wipes out the UNC game
And that wipes out UVA and VT as potential opponents
UVA plays ODU 10/24---and VT plays Liberty 9/5
And it probably wipes out ODU and Liberty as well, as they now have OOC games that have been saved

Our game vs Merrimack will soon be gone
As Jon Rothstien reported---The NEC will not have fall sports in 2020. Official announcement expected soon.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1288574814421213184

This was always my worst fear---JMU is ready, willing and able to play, but because every conference goes to conference only models----JMU has nobody to play.
It seems the Big 12 is looking to play a full schedule, maybe the SEC. Bourne better think about some plane flight body bag games. Or aligning himself with FBS/FCS independents.
Hopefully JMU can schedule games with the depleted Big South. Because all we have right now is Chatanooga, and a H&H with Elon

The statement from the ACC says the game must be played in the school's home state, it does not require the team to be from the same state.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - jmudukes001 - 07-29-2020 04:57 PM

JMU will have to officially decide that they are playing football in the fall before UNC will even think about offering the game to them.

Articles in the paper this week sound more and more like the CAA will play in the spring, or at least fully plan for it.

Who knows when the NCAA will announce if there will be FCS playoffs this fall or maybe in the spring. If that is a driving decision for JMU, we may have to wait a couple more weeks.