CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 07-21-2020 07:56 AM

(07-21-2020 06:31 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  
(07-21-2020 12:13 AM)bjk3047 Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 04:08 PM)Purple Wrote:  No one is going to change anyone else's political opinion on this board. Let's stay in our lane, folks. Just let the politics go. There are plenty of sites for that.

(06-09-2020 10:21 PM)Purple Wrote:  I am absolutely done with this nonsense. Back to Duuuuuuukes sports for me.

(07-20-2020 10:25 PM)Purple Wrote:  You're right, but that doesn't matter to those who are praying for more pandemic hysteria. They seem to thrive on it. Interesting.

Come on man. You don’t like Purple we get it. He has toned down things a lot and so have you. Don’t fan the flames brother.

Let’s keep talking JMU sports.

Says the guy with that doesn't "have a desire of getting in the middle" but his last 10 posts have only been about getting in the middle and have nothing to do with JMU sports.

Now I am also moving on. 04-cheers

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 07-21-2020 08:22 AM

(07-21-2020 07:56 AM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 04:08 PM)Purple Wrote:  No one is going to change anyone else's political opinion on this board. Let's stay in our lane, folks. Just let the politics go. There are plenty of sites for that.

(06-09-2020 10:21 PM)Purple Wrote:  I am absolutely done with this nonsense. Back to Duuuuuuukes sports for me.

(07-20-2020 10:25 PM)Purple Wrote:  You're right, but that doesn't matter to those who are praying for more pandemic hysteria. They seem to thrive on it. Interesting.

Come on man. You don’t like Purple we get it. He has toned down things a lot and so have you. Don’t fan the flames brother.

Says the guy with that doesn't "have a desire of getting in the middle" but his last 10 posts have only been about getting in the middle and have nothing to do with JMU sports.

Let's move back in the right direction, with no additional shots being fired.

Done.....

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 07-21-2020 08:49 AM

Nice watching exhibition baseball last night.

As professional team sports return, it will give a better road map for colleges.

I hope come mid August MLB, NHL, and NBA will all still be going. I'm more optimistic, than not, that will be the case. If one bails, I think that will create an additional hurdle for the NFL.

I think Spring College football has a shot, although I don't see it for the fall.

Two key things to track:
1) The success of the Pro Leagues
2) What Covid 19 will look like in the fall/winter. (Which NOBODY knows at this point)
- if it peter's out - great
- if it's never been worse with elevating deaths - lord help us
- if the death rates stay similar to now - debate after debate and continued uncertainties for high school/college academics and athletics.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMad03 - 07-21-2020 09:53 AM

(07-21-2020 08:49 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Nice watching exhibition baseball last night.

As professional team sports return, it will give a better road map for colleges.

I hope come mid August MLB, NHL, and NBA will all still be going. I'm more optimistic, than not, that will be the case. If one bails, I think that will create an additional hurdle for the NFL.

I think Spring College football has a shot, although I don't see it for the fall.

Two key things to track:
1) The success of the Pro Leagues
2) What Covid 19 will look like in the fall/winter. (Which NOBODY knows at this point)
- if it peter's out - great
- if it's never been worse with elevating deaths - lord help us
- if the death rates stay similar to now - debate after debate and continued uncertainties for high school/college academics and athletics.

Another thing that many people don't think about is the impact of Covid on other deaths. If the hospitals are filling up with Covid patients, what happens to the other patients that need hospital care or ventilators or emergency care? Right now, there are parts of the country where hospitals are getting close to capacity and having to send patients elsewhere.
If Covid keeps increasing or even remains close to the level now, things will get worse in the winter. Why? The flu. A few reasons:
-Instead of worrying just about the flu, we now have Covid to worry about as well.
-People mistaking Covid symptoms for the flu. Could lead to more infections due to not identifying properly.
-More hospital problems. Some people are hospitalized with the flu. And some argue that the flu is more dangerous than Covid, so imagine both going on at the same time... not good.

If there was ever a season to get a flu shot, this is the one.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMUNation - 07-21-2020 10:07 AM

(07-21-2020 06:49 AM)bjk3047 Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 06:01 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  I don’t have a desire of getting in the middle but as a quiet observer to this argument, I see people spewing ridicule and personal insults at Cent and Cent sharing data he believes to be accurate and informative. I am not saying I agree with either side of this argument. I just see some posters as attacking and one poster sharing information.

This seems to be the world we live in where a handful of people sit at a keyboard and lash out at anyone who doesn’t agree with them. Many of us continue to call for peace and it comes for a period then it turns again. It is tiring.

(07-20-2020 11:47 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Saying “did you forget” is condescending. How about “in looking at this chart what I see is...” You don’t need to address Cent at all. You could have made your point without trying to make Cent look stupid.

A solid debate doesn’t involve making the other party look stupid. You present your facts he presents his and you both allow the readers to decide which argument they choose to believe. When you make personal comments your posts appear to come across as attacking.

(07-21-2020 06:31 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  Let’s keep talking JMU sports.

Please stop stirring the pot. You took parts out of my post and changed the entire dialogue. Man, you just can’t be happy unless you can take over a board by creating controversy. I am attempting to stop the bickering not start a dialogue with you.

Did you learn nothing from your ban? You are an instigator not a victim.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMUNation - 07-21-2020 10:12 AM

(07-21-2020 07:56 AM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  

Trying to stop the bickering isn’t easy with you guys. 05-nono

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 07-21-2020 10:20 AM

(07-21-2020 09:53 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  Another thing that many people don't think about is the impact of Covid on other deaths. If the hospitals are filling up with Covid patients, what happens to the other patients that need hospital care or ventilators or emergency care? Right now, there are parts of the country where hospitals are getting close to capacity and having to send patients elsewhere.
If Covid keeps increasing or even remains close to the level now, things will get worse in the winter. Why? The flu. A few reasons:
-Instead of worrying just about the flu, we now have Covid to worry about as well.
-People mistaking Covid symptoms for the flu. Could lead to more infections due to not identifying properly.
-More hospital problems. Some people are hospitalized with the flu. And some argue that the flu is more dangerous than Covid, so imagine both going on at the same time... not good.

Totally agree on the flu shot. I also think the data will be complicated further because covid like illness and influenza like illness may be hard to distinguish in many cases. If you add in seasonal allergies that come around in the fall its a recipe for data disaster.

I think hospitals have done a pretty good job at avoiding nosocomial transmission recently, so im hoping that translates during the flu season.

The key indicators are hospitalizations and deaths. As an aside, when reading these stats you have to be very careful to understand that the report date of the death may not be when the death actually occurred, sometimes deaths are added weeks and even months after, further muddying the water.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMU85 - 07-21-2020 11:08 AM

(07-20-2020 09:21 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 09:10 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  Just find a Walmart, doesn’t matter what town, city or state.

Well, starting today (7.20.20) Walmart corporate said all shoppers would be required to wear a mask. It will be interesting to see how Walmart enforces that decision.

The more important question....are Pajamas, Slippers and bathrobes still allowed?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMad03 - 07-21-2020 11:13 AM

(07-21-2020 10:20 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  
(07-21-2020 09:53 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  Another thing that many people don't think about is the impact of Covid on other deaths. If the hospitals are filling up with Covid patients, what happens to the other patients that need hospital care or ventilators or emergency care? Right now, there are parts of the country where hospitals are getting close to capacity and having to send patients elsewhere.

Totally agree on the flu shot. I also think the data will be complicated further because covid like illness and influenza like illness may be hard to distinguish in many cases. If you add in seasonal allergies that come around in the fall its a recipe for data disaster.

I think hospitals have done a pretty good job at avoiding nosocomial transmission recently, so im hoping that translates during the flu season.

The key indicators are hospitalizations and deaths. As an aside, when reading these stats you have to be very careful to understand that the report date of the death may not be when the death actually occurred, sometimes deaths are added weeks and even months after, further muddying the water.

When it comes to the data, I'm pretty sure they know what is considered the flu and what is considered Covid. In order for data to be tracked on Covid, there has to be a confirmed test. I haven't seen anything where there was confusion between the two when it comes to testing.
I believe when it comes to the public, there will absolutely be confusion there. I just don't think it will be in reporting between Covid and the flu.
However, I'm sure there are many more cases of Covid than are being reported. At the same time, I believe in some cases the recovery rate may be higher.
One statistic I am curious about is how they are reporting Covid related deaths. By that, I mean if someone contracts Covid, and the person has an immune response that kills them- do they consider that a death by Covid or by another means?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 07-21-2020 11:48 AM

(07-21-2020 11:13 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  When it comes to the data, I'm pretty sure they know what is considered the flu and what is considered Covid. In order for data to be tracked on Covid, there has to be a confirmed test. I haven't seen anything where there was confusion between the two when it comes to testing.
I believe when it comes to the public, there will absolutely be confusion there. I just don't think it will be in reporting between Covid and the flu.
However, I'm sure there are many more cases of Covid than are being reported. At the same time, I believe in some cases the recovery rate may be higher.
One statistic I am curious about is how they are reporting Covid related deaths. By that, I mean if someone contracts Covid, and the person has an immune response that kills them- do they consider that a death by Covid or by another means?

You would think itd be easy to distinguish, but i dont think it is.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2020/04/29/autumn-confluence-overlap-COVID-19-pandemic-influenza-flu-deadly-warnings-health/stories/202004290087

There is a major overlap in symptoms, according to Dr. Nitin Bhanot, the director of the Infectious Disease Division at Allegheny Health Network. Both influenza and the novel coronavirus often initially appear as coughing, a fever, and shortness of breath.

“It becomes difficult to differentiate between them,” Dr. Suyama said, noting that “you can’t tell within the first few hours or days whether or not it’s COVID.”

CDC is already reporting high levels of Influenza like illness (ILI) atypical for this time of year.

I believe most metrics mix probable covid deaths with covid confirmed deaths. Mixed in are deaths that were not caused by covid, but post mortum had a covid positive test. Think car crashes, accidents, and other types of non disease related deaths. This is a very mixed bag of causes, but the labels makes it all seem as COVID caused deaths. Some believe that deaths will continue to be laundered, IE. unrelated covid deaths from weeks ago can be mined for CLI or covid positive tests to add to the death toll, which are then added to the most recent date for reporting inflating the most recent stats.

If you want to watch a few doctors try to figure this out, here is a nice thread
https://twitter.com/Hold2LLC/status/1285214446407778305?s=20

Data is been the biggest problem in all of this and the headlines only report the most sensational data without context or a bit of critical thought.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 07-21-2020 12:15 PM

Channeled NH/JMU Saxon’s playoff energy to throw the list below together. Feel free updates as I probably missed something and will probably run out of the energy to keep it updated.

JMU: Madia quotes Bourne on 7/19 saying the hope is 8 games (number required for FCS playoffs) and JMU is seeking away opponents that can be driven by bus. I thought Curt stated “4” FBS games was the goal but can’t find the quote quickly and instead found “multiple.”
CAA: Not playing as a conference; Only Elon has stated desire to play Fall; No comment on Spring

P5:
ACC: Playing as planned; “Considering” only conference games and have "modeled" it
Big Ten: Only conference games
ACC: Playing as planned; “Considering” only conference games
Pac 12: Only conference games
SEC: Playing as planned; “Considering” only conference games and expects decision in late July

Indys (ND, Liberty, BYU, Army, NM, UMass, UConn): ND is included in the ACC only conference games scenario; BYU isn’t part of Big 10 or Pac 12 plans; Remaining teams talking about home and home series due to lost games

G5:
AAC: Playing as planned
CUSA: Playing as planned
MAC: Playing as planned
MW: Playing as planned
SB: Playing as planned

FCS: Teams that are noted have made a decision different than conference
Big Sky: Playing as planned
Big South: Playing as planned; Hampton not playing
Great West: Playing as planned
Ivy: Not playing Fall – No decision on Spring
MEAC: Not playing Fall – No decision on Spring
Missouri Valley: Playing as planned
Northeast: Playing as planned
Ohio Valley: Playing as planned
Patriot: Not playing Fall
Pioneer: Playing as planned – Davidson and Dayton are not playing OOC games
Southern: Playing as planned
Southland: Playing as planned
SWAC: Not playing Fall – Stated they want to play 7 games in Spring

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 07-21-2020 12:37 PM

(07-21-2020 12:15 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  Channeled NH/JMU Saxon’s playoff energy to throw the list below together. Feel free updates as I probably missed something and will probably run out of the energy to keep it updated.

JMU: Madia quotes Bourne on 7/19 saying the hope is 8 games (number required for FCS playoffs) and JMU is seeking away opponents that can be driven by bus. I thought Curt stated “4” FBS games was the goal but can’t find the quote quickly and instead found “multiple.”
CAA: Not playing as a conference; Only Elon has stated desire to play Fall; No comment on Spring

P5:
ACC: Playing as planned; “Considering” only conference games and have "modeled" it
Big Ten: Only conference games
ACC: Playing as planned; “Considering” only conference games
Pac 12: Only conference games
SEC: Playing as planned; “Considering” only conference games and expects decision in late July

Indys (ND, Liberty, BYU, Army, NM, UMass, UConn): ND is included in the ACC only conference games scenario; BYU isn’t part of Big 10 or Pac 12 plans; Remaining teams talking about home and home series due to lost games

G5:
AAC: Playing as planned
CUSA: Playing as planned
MAC: Playing as planned
MW: Playing as planned
SB: Playing as planned

FCS: Teams that are noted have made a decision different than conference
Big Sky: Playing as planned
Big South: Playing as planned; Hampton not playing
Great West: Playing as planned
Ivy: Not playing Fall – No decision on Spring
MEAC: Not playing Fall – No decision on Spring
Missouri Valley: Playing as planned
Northeast: Playing as planned
Ohio Valley: Playing as planned
Patriot: Not playing Fall
Pioneer: Playing as planned – Davidson and Dayton are not playing OOC games
Southern: Playing as planned
Southland: Playing as planned
SWAC: Not playing Fall – Stated they want to play 7 games in Spring

Three weeks ago they were all playing. Any guesses for 3 weeks from now?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Dukester - 07-21-2020 12:39 PM

Please all - let it go.....

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - olddawg - 07-21-2020 01:12 PM

I saved GTS's response to bjk when things got out of hand ( before it got taken down). It was that good. It was the equivalent of Putin verbally dressing down a contractor who is over budget and not on time.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Longhorn - 07-21-2020 01:53 PM

(07-21-2020 11:08 AM)JMU85 Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 09:10 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  Just find a Walmart, doesn’t matter what town, city or state.

Well, starting today (7.20.20) Walmart corporate said all shoppers would be required to wear a mask. It will be interesting to see how Walmart enforces that decision.

The more important question....are Pajamas, Slippers and bathrobes still allowed?

03-lmfao

Alternative wardrobes will no doubt continue to be allowed, just wear a mask. 04-cheers

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - AssyrianDuke - 07-21-2020 02:28 PM

I have no doubt that some people will be walking around Walmart in just a mask.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 07-21-2020 02:33 PM

(07-21-2020 12:37 PM)Dukester Wrote:  Three weeks ago they were all playing. Any guesses for 3 weeks from now?

Thinking as I'm typing so my opinion will change by dinner but....

In 3 weeks all P5 is conference only. This is the only way to build in flexibility for delaying the start of season and any game cancellations mid season.

This effectively forces G5 to go conference only. They are losing out on their P5 payday games so they cancel any remaining FCS games as they focus on bottom line. Each G5 teams schedule is already a mess given the current/forthcoming P5 and FCS decisions, so they can let the other groups drive the outcomes here.

Vast majority of FCS programs don't have the money, or support/energy, to institute the safety precautions the P5 will have and they don't have the big tv contract money influencing decisions. They have already, or will soon, lose their P5/G5 payday games and projected ticket sales will be <25% of normal. Even eliminating the sunk costs (scholarships, coaches / support salaries, random overhead), they will still lose money trying to play a shortened/conference only season. Their main/only revenue producing sport, just lost all of its revenue. So, more than half the FCS conferences cancel before start of season and NCAA steps in and says this is just an exhibition season causing more schools/conferences to bail and pursue Spring season. --- This will take longer than 3 weeks to happen.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - ShadyP - 07-21-2020 03:28 PM

(07-20-2020 01:14 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 12:44 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  The risk of death for college aged athletes seems to be somewhere between .001% and .006%

[Image: EdYswsjXYAA16-F?format=jpg&amp;name=large]

You're right.

Problem is they still spread the virus. Most everyone of those college aged athletes will come in contact with someone in much higher risk category on a daily basis. Could be a coach, professor, someone in administration, family member, etc.

Would football players over 300 pounds be at a higher risk?

Florida, California, and Texas have all hit their daily high for deaths in the last couple weeks Obviously this is related to the case spread by the younger Americans. States are rolling back restrictions because hospitalizations and death are going up.

If only we had worn masks at the percentages as others across the world. Those dangerous masks Doctors have been wearing daily for the last 75 years.

And if the a concern just for the deaths, or also for the short term and long term damage to someone's health?

It's not too hard to imagine when this mixes with the flu season, how much more complex this will be. Additionally the people I know who have taken the test (about 20) have taken between 5 days and two weeks to get the results. That is not too helpful.

Also, much of the world does contact tracing for cases. When you have 65,000 new cases a day it's impossible to contact trace.

The right to NOT wear a face mask, and to NOT socially distance has really put us behind most of the world in cases, deaths, economy, and sports.

Thankfully the medical community and specialists have improved their ability to care for people with the virus.

Sooooooo.....if the aforementioned coach, professor, someone in administration, family member, etc wear a mask they should be good then correct. I mean that is what I have been told everyday for months on radio and TV.

Soooooo......in reality if you choose not to wear a mask that is a risk that the individual has chosen to accept and should not impact anyother mask wearing individual.

And JMU for example is mandating masks for classes and on campus in general.

What I am saying for those in the back then are the only folks at any real risk based the mask data are those individuals and only those individuals that chose not the wear a mask. So seems like we should be good to me then.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - ShadyP - 07-21-2020 03:36 PM

So does that mean Walmart will also enforce folks to stop showing cracks and half their butt also......just saying.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMURocks - 07-21-2020 03:41 PM

(07-21-2020 03:28 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 01:14 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 12:44 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  The risk of death for college aged athletes seems to be somewhere between .001% and .006%

[Image: EdYswsjXYAA16-F?format=jpg&amp;name=large]

You're right.

Problem is they still spread the virus. Most everyone of those college aged athletes will come in contact with someone in much higher risk category on a daily basis. Could be a coach, professor, someone in administration, family member, etc.

Would football players over 300 pounds be at a higher risk?

Florida, California, and Texas have all hit their daily high for deaths in the last couple weeks Obviously this is related to the case spread by the younger Americans. States are rolling back restrictions because hospitalizations and death are going up.

If only we had worn masks at the percentages as others across the world. Those dangerous masks Doctors have been wearing daily for the last 75 years.

And if the a concern just for the deaths, or also for the short term and long term damage to someone's health?

It's not too hard to imagine when this mixes with the flu season, how much more complex this will be. Additionally the people I know who have taken the test (about 20) have taken between 5 days and two weeks to get the results. That is not too helpful.

Also, much of the world does contact tracing for cases. When you have 65,000 new cases a day it's impossible to contact trace.

The right to NOT wear a face mask, and to NOT socially distance has really put us behind most of the world in cases, deaths, economy, and sports.

Thankfully the medical community and specialists have improved their ability to care for people with the virus.

Sooooooo.....if the aforementioned coach, professor, someone in administration, family member, etc wear a mask they should be good then correct. I mean that is what I have been told everyday for months on radio and TV.

Soooooo......in reality if you choose not to wear a mask that is a risk that the individual has chosen to accept and should not impact anyother mask wearing individual.

And JMU for example is mandating masks for classes and on campus in general.

What I am saying for those in the back then are the only folks at any real risk based the mask data are those individuals and only those individuals that chose not the wear a mask. So seems like we should be good to me then.

Masks are an important mitigating factor that will help reopen campuses. The reverse of this is true however, the masks commonly worn in public (non n95) protect others, not yourself. So those not wearing masks are imposing risks on others.