CSNbbs
Transfer portal - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Transfer portal (/thread-901125.html)

RE: Transfer portal - BearcatMan - 05-12-2021 10:50 AM

(05-12-2021 10:48 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  
(05-12-2021 10:34 AM)bcat1997 Wrote:  Are we done recruiting?

We have two scholarships left for basketball in 2021-22. Not sure how many the football team is expected to take in 2022, but we're up to 11 commits. Last couple of classes have been big, so I'm assuming this one will be relatively small -- 20 or less? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think they're projecting quite a few early entries for the draft, but I was always under the impression it was the opposite, that we were going to be rolling with like 22-24 this class.

RE: Transfer portal - Captain Bearcat - 05-12-2021 10:59 AM

Looking at the roster, we have 18 listed as seniors as 7 listed as grad students. Also Whyle and Gardner are Juniors.

Some of the seniors might stay another year. And some might not be scholarship players. But there's also inevitably going to be some guys who transfer out.

RE: Transfer portal - rath v2.0 - 05-12-2021 11:14 AM

Due to the transfer portal, it’s going to be increasingly rare for programs to not have close to the full 25 available scholarships to give each class.

RE: Transfer portal - BearcatMan - 05-12-2021 11:17 AM

(05-12-2021 11:14 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Due to the transfer portal, it’s going to be increasingly rare for programs to not have close to the full 25 available scholarships to give each class.

But...on the flip side, it would also stand to reason that no coach would bring in 25 high schoolers in a class ever again with the intake rules the way they are.

RE: Transfer portal - rath v2.0 - 05-12-2021 11:21 AM

That is true as long as they think they can get upgrades.

CLF seems to be in the camp of getting 23 or more from HS to develop and is now only taking guys who can come in for an immediate upgrade. It’s a great policy long term. Places like SMU seem to want all the transfers they can get and the results are telling.

RE: Transfer portal - robertfoshizzle - 05-12-2021 11:49 AM

(05-12-2021 11:21 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  That is true as long as they think they can get upgrades.

CLF seems to be in the camp of getting 23 or more from HS to develop and is now only taking guys who can come in for an immediate upgrade. It’s a great policy long term. Places like SMU seem to want all the transfers they can get and the results are telling.

We have the luxury now of having depth in every class and position group. Seems like we only have 2 or 3 guys transferring out per year, which is pretty impressive given how easy it is to transfer and how much talent we have competing for field time. SMU has talent, but I'm guessing their roster isn't very balanced. You can be successful going the transfer route to an extent, but I definitely prefer our way of doing things.

RE: Transfer portal - OKIcat - 05-12-2021 12:41 PM

(05-12-2021 11:49 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  
(05-12-2021 11:21 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  That is true as long as they think they can get upgrades.

We have the luxury now of having depth in every class and position group. Seems like we only have 2 or 3 guys transferring out per year, which is pretty impressive given how easy it is to transfer and how much talent we have competing for field time. SMU has talent, but I'm guessing their roster isn't very balanced. You can be successful going the transfer route to an extent, but I definitely prefer our way of doing things.

Agreed. And going the route Fickell has chosen strongly suggests he's told recruits he plans to be here at Cincinnati so get on board. Imagine Dantonio, Kelly or Jones staying after last season's success? I certainly can't.

RE: Transfer portal - Edgebrookjeff - 05-12-2021 01:28 PM

CLF has said on multiple occasions, they only consider transfers that they've had relationships with previously.

RE: Transfer portal - bcat1997 - 05-12-2021 04:23 PM

We have two scholarships left for basketball in 2021-22. Not sure how many the football team is expected to take in 2022, but we're up to 11 commits. Last couple of classes have been big, so I'm assuming this one will be relatively small -- 20 or less? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry, was talking basketball. We seem to be stalled out on additional recruits to fill the openings.

RE: Transfer portal - robertfoshizzle - 05-12-2021 07:45 PM

(05-12-2021 04:23 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  

Sorry, was talking basketball. We seem to be stalled out on additional recruits to fill the openings.

IMO, we are the front-runner for Wake Forest transfer, Ody Oguama: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4432075/ody-oguama

Two-year starter with three years of remaining eligibility due to the free COVID year. He's 6'9", 225 lbs. and can play both power forward and center. He is a good rebounder, and always seems to get his body on someone when a shot goes up. Not much of a shot blocker, but he is a pretty good athlete and if he can cut down on ticky-tack hand fouls (Wake Forest fans noted he got in foul trouble often guarding on the perimeter), he should be more than capable of switching on screens. He doesn't seem to take a lot of jump shots and doesn't shoot 3's at all, but he is pretty solid shooting the baby hook with his right hand. Definitely fills a position of need, and will be ready to play in the AAC right away. Oguama is expected to announce his choice within the next 1-2 weeks.

Here are some highlights from Ody's sophomore year:

If not Oguama, I imagine the staff will be looking to fill one of the two remaining scholarships with a similar player -- someone who can crash the boards and isn't afraid to do the dirty work inside. I expect the staff to be very picky with the 2nd of the remaining scholarships, only bringing in the type of talent that can be a difference maker offensively right away. Ideally, if that kind of player is interested, he will be wing with length. But I think the staff would take a combo or shooting guard if he is capable of being a primary scorer.

Of particular interest to me is KD Johnson, a 6'1" combo guard who averaged 13.5 ppg off the bench as a freshman for Georgia last year. He announced the other day he's entering the portal and he was a Chad Dollar recruit: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4432363/kd-johnson

RE: Transfer portal - robertfoshizzle - 05-12-2021 07:52 PM

On queue:

I'm going to guess it's Oguama.

RE: Transfer portal - bearcatmark - 05-12-2021 07:52 PM

Ody reminds me of the Houston bigs.

RE: Transfer portal - rath v2.0 - 05-12-2021 07:58 PM

Osy is a prototypical Bearcat. Grab a lunch pail, young fella.

RE: Transfer portal - robertfoshizzle - 05-12-2021 08:03 PM

It's official!

RE: Transfer portal - robertfoshizzle - 05-12-2021 08:04 PM

3 days ago, from 247: "The 6-foot-9, 225 pound sophomore plans on making a list within the next week and a decision the week after."

This staff doesn't mess around when they want someone.

RE: Transfer portal - UCGrad1992 - 05-12-2021 08:05 PM

Great call Robert. We needed a big ugly!

RE: Transfer portal - Bear Catlett - 05-12-2021 08:30 PM

Tari who?

RE: Transfer portal - robertfoshizzle - 05-12-2021 08:36 PM

(05-12-2021 08:30 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Tari who?

Tari is obviously a really talented player. But something I like about Oguama from watching highlights is he seems to play within his role and his strengths. He finds a body to box out as soon as the shot goes up. He hustles on D. And if he gets the ball on the block, he'll look to score if he's in position to do so and looks for the open shooter if he isn't. He should be a good fit on this team.

RE: Transfer portal - rath v2.0 - 05-12-2021 08:47 PM

I believe Kansas and Baylor were talking to him. He is a great get.

RE: Transfer portal - robertfoshizzle - 05-12-2021 08:55 PM

(05-12-2021 08:47 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I believe Kansas and Baylor were talking to him. He is a great get.

Arkansas and Minnesota were both interested as well. I think Arkansas in particular really wanted him. He would have gone to a high-major if not here. Definitely a great get, and probably a guy we'll have for two or three seasons. He will make a nice tandem with Koval. Koval is a good perimeter shooter and an elite shot blocker, but not much of a banger/rebounder. Ody isn't a shot blocker or jump shooter, but he's a good rebounder and is physical underneath. Gives us two different types of bigs we can throw at opposing teams.