CSNbbs
Transfer portal - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Transfer portal (/thread-901125.html)

RE: Transfer portal - BearcatMan - 04-22-2021 11:36 AM

(04-22-2021 11:24 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 10:31 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 10:26 AM)BomberMan Wrote:  
(04-21-2021 04:51 PM)cpawstoney Wrote:  What if a player enters the transfer portal and no one wants them?

Aren't all athletic scholarships year-to-year contracts? I remember this being discussed when Mick released Octavious Ellis for a year. Now that the NCAA grants
an additional year of eligibility--does that mean schools are required to renew all scholarships? For the bench warming seniors in small conferences hitting the portal looking for a new opportunity---were they GUARANTEED to retain their scholarship at their current school (if the student had not gone into the portal? Or do the schools still have the right to not honor that scholarship to that student for next year?

Eligibility and scholarships are not tied together.

Every S-A received an extra year of eligibility, but that does not mean the school must carry a scholarship past their 4/5 years. Many smaller schools would be required to fund those students through other means outside of their normal AD operating budgets (which we slashed this past year) due to regulations on scholarship caps for sports, meaning many are likely hitting the portal because they don't have a place to come back to for a free year of school if they've already utilized a scholarship for the 8-10 semesters that the Athletic Department originally guaranteed.

Yeah, smaller schools can't afford to carry extra scholarships. Instead, what will happen is lower-rated recruits may be forced to go JUCO or Division 2, then some athletes that may have gotten Division 2 scholarships will be squeezed out, and so on. The type of scenario I'm thinking of is this:

School has 3 players graduating in 2021, with 3 available scholarships. However, 2 of those players request to use their 5th year of eligibility. The two players are returning starters, so it's a no-brainer to keep them an extra year rather than bringing in a freshman who is an unknown. As a result, 2 scholarships that would have gone to graduating high school students go to 5th-year grad students instead. Those two kids who would have gone to that school end up at a smaller school, or having to go D2/JUCO. Then they squeeze players off of those rosters, etc. Hope that all makes sense.

Yep...it's what Rath and I have been saying since they first threw the free year out there. A lot of incoming freshmen are going to get bumped out completely. There are going to be some solid D2 players that teams may be going after in a few years...next Duncan Robinson type situation.

RE: Transfer portal - BearcatMan - 04-22-2021 11:48 AM

The "unfair" part of all of this is that the players this policy was meant for (those in the non-revenue sports who weren't given a season last year) are also the ones least likely to be given an opportunity to take advantage of it.

I'll use my institution as an example. None of the spring sports were played last year, and two of the fall sports were cancelled as well. In those 7 sports, only 2 players have announced that they're coming back for an additional year....however, in football, they're bringing back 8 super seniors. I mean, it makes sense, give your revenue sports the most freedom to retain talent, but that isn't really what this policy was put in place for, so there are whole senior classes in many sports that just lost a season with no recourse because their institutions used up their limited scholarship float budgets on keeping the left tackle or middle linebacker around for another year.

RE: Transfer portal - Edgebrookjeff - 04-22-2021 12:02 PM

(04-21-2021 04:51 PM)cpawstoney Wrote:  What if a player enters the transfer portal and no one wants them?

Aren't all athletic scholarships year-to-year contracts? I remember this being discussed when Mick released Octavious Ellis for a year. Now that the NCAA grants
an additional year of eligibility--does that mean schools are required to renew all scholarships? For the bench warming seniors in small conferences hitting the portal looking for a new opportunity---were they GUARANTEED to retain their scholarship at their current school (if the student had not gone into the portal? Or do the schools still have the right to not honor that scholarship to that student for next year?

Wasn't there some dismay from Logan Johnson after he entered the transfer portal and coach Brannen gave his scholarship to another player soon after. I don't believe there are any guidelines as to how long a player has to decide their future before a team can fill that spot.

RE: Transfer portal - BearcatMan - 04-22-2021 12:07 PM

(04-22-2021 12:02 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  

Wasn't there some dismay from Logan Johnson after he entered the transfer portal and coach Brannen gave his scholarship to another player soon after. I don't believe there are any guidelines as to how long a player has to decide their future before a team can fill that spot.

Yep...it's basically like you're taking a break from a relationship. You may want that person to be there waiting for you after you've had your fun, but they can go find someone else just as easily. As soon as you signal your intentions, that scholarship isn't yours anymore unless the team/coach decides so.

RE: Transfer portal - robertfoshizzle - 04-22-2021 12:37 PM

(04-22-2021 12:02 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  

Not to stray too far off topic, but we basically traded Samari Curtis for MAW and, in a way, traded Logan for Mike Saunders. I feel we got the better of those two trades. Brannen had a lot of issues and I'm happy to move on, but I thought his recruiting was solid.

RE: Transfer portal - Cal1362 - 04-22-2021 03:55 PM

(04-22-2021 09:36 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  There's a myth that comes from anecdote examples and people's individual prejudices that athletes waste their time in school and are unsuccessful if they don't play professionally.

The reality is student athletes are more successful than normal students when they leave school and there is plenty of data out there to support this.

Thank you for pointing that out

RE: Transfer portal - namrag - 04-22-2021 04:35 PM

(04-22-2021 11:29 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 11:24 AM)chatcat Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 10:17 AM)BomberMan Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 09:24 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I seem to recall Ohio State having a Heisman type running back who majored in pre-med and had to fight the OSU staff to be allowed to do so.

Robert Smith

Don't think he ever became an MD though.

He got on TV as an analyst.

That was something of a joke as it was later uncovered that Robert smith was carrying near a 2.0 average, not at all competitive to get in to a med school.

His complaining was more due to disagreements with the coaching staff, I think it was during the Cooper era, and smith was just trying to win the PR battle.

RE: Transfer portal - doss2 - 04-22-2021 06:16 PM

(04-22-2021 04:35 PM)namrag Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 11:29 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 11:24 AM)chatcat Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 10:17 AM)BomberMan Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 09:24 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I seem to recall Ohio State having a Heisman type running back who majored in pre-med and had to fight the OSU staff to be allowed to do so.

Robert Smith

Don't think he ever became an MD though.

He got on TV as an analyst.

That was something of a joke as it was later uncovered that Robert smith was carrying near a 2.0 average, not at all competitive to get in to a med school.

His complaining was more due to disagreements with the coaching staff, I think it was during the Cooper era, and smith was just trying to win the PR battle.

I knew guys in Pre Med with 3.5 who did not get in. Pre Med 2.0 is a joke.

RE: Transfer portal - s10bball - 04-22-2021 07:09 PM

Hayden Koval officially a Bearcat per Twitter.

RE: Transfer portal - s10bball - 04-22-2021 07:13 PM

I year of eligibility left. Shot blocking machine and can hit the three and mid range jumper.

RE: Transfer portal - bearcat54 - 04-22-2021 08:37 PM

(04-22-2021 07:13 PM)s10bball Wrote:  I year of eligibility left. Shot blocking machine and can hit the three and mid range jumper.

qualities that Chris Vogt and Keith Williams seemed to lack in.

RE: Transfer portal - OKIcat - 04-23-2021 08:30 AM

Koval is a good addition as others have noted. Great needs remain unfilled and we'll see if Wes is able to leverage his personal network and best selling skills in bringing some solid transfers in who don't have UNCG connections.

This isn't a criticism of Miller. But for the second time in three years UC is getting a late start because of Brannen's delayed hiring cycle and his relatively late dismissal.

An announcement of a high profile transfer, especially from this area, such as Fredrick from Iowa, will energize the Bearcat fan base and suggest that UC should again be a destination for top local players in the coming few years.

RE: Transfer portal - stxrunner - 04-23-2021 09:29 AM

(04-23-2021 08:30 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Koval is a good addition as others have noted. Great needs remain unfilled and we'll see if Wes is able to leverage his personal network and best selling skills in bringing some solid transfers in who don't have UNCG connections.

This isn't a criticism of Miller. But for the second time in three years UC is getting a late start because of Brannen's delayed hiring cycle and his relatively late dismissal.

An announcement of a high profile transfer, especially from this area, such as Fredrick from Iowa, will energize the Bearcat fan base and suggest that UC should again be a destination for top local players in the coming few years.

People are going to have to be patient on that front. It takes time to build a relationship with guys you don't have a connection to already, so the early commits were always going to be those with UNCG ties.

Now we enter the more competitive and interesting part of the transfer recruiting cycle.

RE: Transfer portal - crex043 - 04-23-2021 11:17 AM

Another commitment incoming - perhaps the 4* PF from UNCG that entered his name in the portal yesterday?

RE: Transfer portal - bcat1997 - 04-23-2021 11:21 AM

(04-23-2021 11:17 AM)crex043 Wrote:  Another commitment incoming - perhaps the 4* PF from UNCG that entered his name in the portal yesterday?

ya, just saw that. He would be my guess.

RE: Transfer portal - BearcatMan - 04-23-2021 11:23 AM

(04-23-2021 11:17 AM)crex043 Wrote:  Another commitment incoming - perhaps the 4* PF from UNCG that entered his name in the portal yesterday?

I'd be careful calling Hensley a PF...he seems far more like a Jeremiah Davenport than a Gary Clark (in play style...not ability...please don't jump down my throat about that). He's a 4, but not what many think a PF is.

RE: Transfer portal - Bearcatbdub - 04-23-2021 11:34 AM

Sounds like we are going to canabalize the entire UNCG roster...

RE: Transfer portal - BearcatMan - 04-23-2021 11:35 AM

(04-23-2021 11:34 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Sounds like we are going to canabalize the entire UNCG roster...

Ehh...this is the last one if I had to guess. My best guess is CJ Fredrick and Langston Wilson are the guys our staff just goes full in on now.

RE: Transfer portal - geef - 04-23-2021 11:45 AM

(04-23-2021 11:35 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(04-23-2021 11:34 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Sounds like we are going to canabalize the entire UNCG roster...

Ehh...this is the last one if I had to guess. My best guess is CJ Fredrick and Langston Wilson are the guys our staff just goes full in on now.

Sounds about right, and agree on your assessment of the kid. We really need a wing and a physical 4.

RE: Transfer portal - Bearcatbdub - 04-23-2021 11:45 AM

(04-23-2021 11:35 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Do we realistically have a shot at either one of those guys?