CSNbbs
Transfer portal - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Transfer portal (/thread-901125.html)

RE: Transfer portal - TheShoeFits - 03-19-2021 01:47 PM

(03-19-2021 01:13 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 01:05 PM)doss2 Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 12:48 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 12:44 PM)doss2 Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 11:34 AM)bcat1997 Wrote:  New commit...Bryson Spell to Cincy...stop the bleeding

Wow we beat on basketball power houses Elon, ODU, GW and VT.

For what it's worth vt is in the tournament.

Of course I am watching them as I type. A 15 seed. They are up 3.

You're really struggling to read seeds i guess. That's the second one you've missed today.

I want to say Arizona State offered as well but don't quote me on that.

RE: Transfer portal - bearcatdp - 03-19-2021 01:51 PM

(03-19-2021 01:47 PM)TheShoeFits Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 12:48 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 12:44 PM)doss2 Wrote:  Wow we beat on basketball power houses Elon, ODU, GW and VT.

For what it's worth vt is in the tournament.

You're really struggling to read seeds i guess. That's the second one you've missed today.

I read the same. Not sure where I saw it though. Regardless, looks like a guy with good offensive skills, height and work ethic that will need to get in the weight room and on the practice floor. A good start to the class.

RE: Transfer portal - TheShoeFits - 03-19-2021 01:58 PM

(03-19-2021 01:51 PM)bearcatdp Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 01:47 PM)TheShoeFits Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 12:48 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  For what it's worth vt is in the tournament.

I read the same. Not sure where I saw it though. Regardless, looks like a guy with good offensive skills, height and work ethic that will need to get in the weight room and on the practice floor. A good start to the class.

https://twitter.com/coachB_bwsl/status/1300569799832018949/photo/1

RE: Transfer portal - Bearhawkeye - 03-19-2021 02:01 PM

(03-19-2021 12:00 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(03-18-2021 10:43 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(03-18-2021 10:16 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’m sure he’ll be just the bees knees here.

Good coaching is often a lot about finding roles for guys that they can succeed at. Seems to me you wanted a Kunkel type guy for UC who might make the difference between winning and losing a few times during the season with his shooting (including 83.5% on FTs). This guy seems like he could be a nice fit for that role.

I wanted Kunkel in the role Mason Madsen ended up filling eventually. So I guess that worked out ok...except Madsen is already gone.

I didn’t want him as a starter.

This kid from the So Con will come here and start. It will be awesome.

Seems like you are working extra hard to knock him. I see him very similar to a Kunkel or yes Mason Madson. We'll have to see who else we get and most importantly how he plays to see if he's a starter or not. But I don't think anybody is calling him an instant cornerstone or anything, instead he seems like a guy who can fulfill an important role on this team just like guys like Kunkel and Mason. Indications are he's a hard worker and his experience might help give us some of the leadership we seem to have struggled with this year.

RE: Transfer portal - UCbball21 - 03-19-2021 02:56 PM

Basically what we need to do is find 4 immediate impact transfers/JUCOs then probably 3 more freshmen like Spell who are willing to put the work in Brannen's system. It's definitely a tall order so it's gonna be a long off-season for Brannen and co. We can't overload our OOC schedule either because it will take time for whatever roster we manage to put together to actually play decent basketball.

RE: Transfer portal - robertfoshizzle - 03-19-2021 03:24 PM

Wonder if this Max Abmas kid will end up in the portal... I would take him in a heartbeat, even if he is only 6'1".

RE: Transfer portal - robertfoshizzle - 03-19-2021 03:27 PM

Speaking of mid-major players playing up in competition, they showed a graphic that Abmas has averaged 20.5 ppg against major competition, which included Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, and Missouri. He has already hung 20 on OSU and there is still over 11 minutes left in the game. Some of those guys can play against better competition. It's tricky finding them though.

RE: Transfer portal - Bear Catlett - 03-19-2021 03:31 PM

Well I guess UC is just going to sweep this debacle under the rug and act like it never happened.

I think some sort of explanation is owed. Instead, I guess all we're going to get is HEY LOOK! WE GOT A COMMIT !!!

RE: Transfer portal - dsquare - 03-19-2021 03:58 PM

(03-19-2021 03:31 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Well I guess UC is just going to sweep this debacle under the rug and act like it never happened.

I think some sort of explanation is owed. Instead, I guess all we're going to get is HEY LOOK! WE GOT A COMMIT !!!

Justin Williams explains it pretty well. Not sure what needs to be explained. As you watch the throngs of players entering the portal it's all over college bball. Coaches all over the country are lamenting this entire portal situation. Disconnect, communication, et. al. This stuff is tame compared to the Huggins era believe me. It used to be when a guy committed he wasn't looking to the next deal if he's not a star from day one and the coach was important. If a guy was entertaining leaving it was much, much more tricky proposition as he was almost always sitting out a year, and there were 4 year kids at a lot of schools. College bball teams now are a one year proposition and hit the reset if this isn't resolved after this Covid year.

RE: Transfer portal - Lush - 03-19-2021 06:11 PM

i see earl timberlake of miami is in the portal

RE: Transfer portal - rath v2.0 - 03-19-2021 06:44 PM

(03-19-2021 02:01 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(03-18-2021 10:16 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’m sure he’ll be just the bees knees here.

Good coaching is often a lot about finding roles for guys that they can succeed at. Seems to me you wanted a Kunkel type guy for UC who might make the difference between winning and losing a few times during the season with his shooting (including 83.5% on FTs). This guy seems like he could be a nice fit for that role.

I wanted Kunkel in the role Mason Madsen ended up filling eventually. So I guess that worked out ok...except Madsen is already gone.

Seems like you are working extra hard to knock him. I see him very similar to a Kunkel or yes Mason Madson. We'll have to see who else we get and most importantly how he plays to see if he's a starter or not. But I don't think anybody is calling him an instant cornerstone or anything, instead he seems like a guy who can fulfill an important role on this team just like guys like Kunkel and Mason. Indications are he's a hard worker and his experience might help give us some of the leadership we seem to have struggled with this year.

Who? Brannen? He does a lot of the heavy lifting on that himself.

Or the skinny volume shooting kid from a bad So Con team as another one year rent a player?

RE: Transfer portal - Bearhawkeye - 03-19-2021 06:56 PM

(03-19-2021 06:44 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 02:01 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  

Who? Brannen? He does a lot of the heavy lifting on that himself.

Or the skinny volume shooting kid from a bad So Con team as another one year rent a player?

It's pretty obvious I who I was referring to. Now you are just being an "egotistical prick" as you like to say...

RE: Transfer portal - rath v2.0 - 03-19-2021 07:30 PM

Oh, just stop.

RE: Transfer portal - Bear Catlett - 03-20-2021 12:21 PM

(03-19-2021 03:58 PM)dsquare Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 03:31 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Well I guess UC is just going to sweep this debacle under the rug and act like it never happened.

Justin Williams explains it pretty well. Not sure what needs to be explained. As you watch the throngs of players entering the portal it's all over college bball. Coaches all over the country are lamenting this entire portal situation. Disconnect, communication, et. al. This stuff is tame compared to the Huggins era believe me. It used to be when a guy committed he wasn't looking to the next deal if he's not a star from day one and the coach was important. If a guy was entertaining leaving it was much, much more tricky proposition as he was almost always sitting out a year, and there were 4 year kids at a lot of schools. College bball teams now are a one year proposition and hit the reset if this isn't resolved after this Covid year.

Well, maybe why the majority of our team doesn't want to be here anymore, for starters.

Look, I don't care what happens at Perv St or South Florida. We have a program that guys should want to play for.

If we've got a coach that drives away players (most of which weren't all that great to start), then maybe we need a new coach.

RE: Transfer portal - Billy_Bearcat - 03-20-2021 02:25 PM

(03-19-2021 07:30 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Oh, just stop.

Gotta stick up for Hawk here. You’ve been a extra grumpy Gus lately. Understandably so, but still more prickish than usual.

RE: Transfer portal - dsquare - 03-20-2021 03:26 PM

(03-20-2021 12:21 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  

Well, maybe why the majority of our team doesn't want to be here anymore, for starters.

Look, I don't care what happens at Perv St or South Florida. We have a program that guys should want to play for.

If we've got a coach that drives away players (most of which weren't all that great to start), then maybe we need a new coach.

There's another good article today on the Athletic about it with David Dejulius. I'd encourage folks to read it if they can get it. Ultimately the expectations of guys, the quarantine and the ease with which guys can get a new start all factor into it, and whether you got 10, 6, 4 or whatever the combination in large part is based on expectations and circumstances. Most of these guys were not going to be starters next year, and counting Diarra is kind of bogus as he's just not good enough to play at this level and he's got a kid and he's in year 4. It's his best move. Clearly the quarantine did not help to bond new guys for obvious reasons as it has in the past which a lot of the former players alluded to. It doesn't help with this Covid going on to have a lot of new guys for obvious reasons. At the end of the day, guys are hunting being "the man" in most cases, and quite a few of these guys are not likely to be that in year 2 so it's off to different venues, or maybe not playing at all. Time will tell. Right now they don't even know what the protocol will be for this summer let alone next season. Like i've said multiple times, this is petty stuff compared to the Huggins days for those who have knowledge there.

The article for those who get it:

https://theathletic.com/2466105/2021/03/20/david-dejulius-speaks-out-on-his-support-for-coach-john-brannen-commitment-to-cincinnati-basketball/?source=user_shared_article

RE: Transfer portal - rath v2.0 - 03-20-2021 03:46 PM

(03-20-2021 02:25 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  

Gotta stick up for Hawk here. You’ve been a extra grumpy Gus lately. Understandably so, but still more prickish than usual.

Watch it or I’ll post those pictures of you with the Buckeye necklace and that bald weepy creepy buckeye fan.

RE: Transfer portal - Bcatbog - 03-20-2021 04:00 PM

(03-20-2021 03:26 PM)dsquare Wrote:  
(03-20-2021 12:21 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  

There's another good article today on the Athletic about it with David Dejulius. I'd encourage folks to read it if they can get it. Ultimately the expectations of guys, the quarantine and the ease with which guys can get a new start all factor into it, and whether you got 10, 6, 4 or whatever the combination in large part is based on expectations and circumstances. Most of these guys were not going to be starters next year, and counting Diarra is kind of bogus as he's just not good enough to play at this level and he's got a kid and he's in year 4. It's his best move. Clearly the quarantine did not help to bond new guys for obvious reasons as it has in the past which a lot of the former players alluded to. It doesn't help with this Covid going on to have a lot of new guys for obvious reasons. At the end of the day, guys are hunting being "the man" in most cases, and quite a few of these guys are not likely to be that in year 2 so it's off to different venues, or maybe not playing at all. Time will tell. Right now they don't even know what the protocol will be for this summer let alone next season. Like i've said multiple times, this is petty stuff compared to the Huggins days for those who have knowledge there.

The article for those who get it:

https://theathletic.com/2466105/2021/03/20/david-dejulius-speaks-out-on-his-support-for-coach-john-brannen-commitment-to-cincinnati-basketball/?source=user_shared_article

IMO Justin has gone from negative guy to balanced reporter. OMG, hard practices - pitty.

RE: Transfer portal - Billy_Bearcat - 03-20-2021 09:05 PM

(03-20-2021 03:46 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(03-20-2021 02:25 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  

Watch it or I’ll post those pictures of you with the Buckeye necklace and that bald weepy creepy buckeye fan.

As long as you keep the pics of Buckeye Cowboy under lock and key

RE: Transfer portal - rath v2.0 - 03-20-2021 09:17 PM

Your hat was off kilter...

[Image: Crying%20Buckeye.11.jpg]