CSNbbs
Transfer portal - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Transfer portal (/thread-901125.html)

RE: Transfer portal - DownOnRohs - 03-16-2021 10:57 AM

Guys,
I think the Portal may be the bigger problem here. Coach is mean to you? Transfer with no penalty.

RE: Transfer portal - Former Lurker - 03-16-2021 10:58 AM

(03-16-2021 10:51 AM)crex043 Wrote:  This open transfer portal is madness. Think of how many of your favorite Bearcat teams would have never come to fruition if they knew they could commit somewhere and shut it down and go elsewhere if they couldn't crack the starting lineup.

That's just my selfish concern as a fan. The players have it much worse - a good chunk of these transfers may never see the floor again and will have problems maintaining momentum on programs to reach their potential.

One has to wonder if the PTB will re-evaluate the portal. The coaches can't like the idea of having to re-recuit all their players every year, and roster instability is a killer in a revenue sport that depends on fan ID with the players to drive ticket sales and viewership.

RE: Transfer portal - Billy_Bearcat - 03-16-2021 10:59 AM

(03-16-2021 10:57 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  Guys,
I think the Portal may be the bigger problem here. Coach is mean to you? Transfer with no penalty.

Oh there’s no doubt about that. We’ve now incentivized kids to get going when the going gets tough. It will ruin college athletics. Commitment can be stricken from Merriam Webster.

RE: Transfer portal - The Big O - 03-16-2021 11:00 AM

(03-16-2021 10:31 AM)skyblade Wrote:  
(03-16-2021 10:20 AM)The Big O Wrote:  I'm one who thinks Brannen needs to be given more time, but if the players aren't giving him time, there isn't really much you can do. It's still very early, but we're at a tipping point where things could get really ugly really fast. I feel like you still need to give him a third season, though. Covid has really screwed things up. Who knows if Jarron Cumberland is in these guys ears or what is really motivating them to enter the portal. A little bit different situation, but I don't remember this being a problem at NKU.

If you give him a third year, how is he going to recruit? How many quality recruits are going to a program that seems to have major locker room issues and a coach is in his last year if he doesn't pull a massive turnaround?

Brannen has no shot if he's on the hot seat next year. You'd have to be willing to commit to him and guarantee him a year four and five as well, so he can try to rebuild from scratch.

But seeing as Brannen already had one chance to rebuild and completely blew it. Not to mention the second rebuild would be harder for him (he's not going to be a popular guy on the recruiting trail).

Get a new coach, give him 4/5 years and be prepared for a complete rebuild. Better get a good coach, because the next 4/5 years probably determine our basketball future.

I'm just not ready to pull the plug after what has gone on in the past couple years. Giving the next coach 4-5 years now means potentially 7 years without a tournament birth. I'd rather give Brannen one more year because at that point, 7 or 8 years without a tournament birth is really bad either way. Now if we see Davenport, Eason and others transfer in the next few days, then yeah, it's time to pull the plug.

RE: Transfer portal - RealDeal - 03-16-2021 11:00 AM

The portal just makes it a bit easier but players have been leaving situations they were unhappy with forever. If you can't develop and keep your talented players in your program that's always been a problem.

RE: Transfer portal - DownOnRohs - 03-16-2021 11:05 AM

(03-16-2021 11:00 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  

The portal just makes it a bit easier but players have been leaving situations they were unhappy with forever. If you can't develop and keep your talented players in your program that's always been a problem.

It just sucks because I have a feeling playing college ball anywhere this year in empty arenas largely sucked. How much of it was Brannen and how much of it was just living through a pandemic. This past year sucked for almost all of us.

I hope they find out pastures aren't always greener.

RE: Transfer portal - BearcatMan - 03-16-2021 11:05 AM

(03-16-2021 10:59 AM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  

Oh there’s no doubt about that. We’ve now incentivized kids to get going when the going gets tough. It will ruin college athletics. Commitment can be stricken from Merriam Webster.

It's bad...but this year with free transfers and no lost eligibility have made it 1000x worse. I don't think you'll see anything like this again because once the administrators see how ****** this is, they'll never allow the free transfer rule.

RE: Transfer portal - Don't tase me bro - 03-16-2021 11:06 AM

Saunders was the last guy I saw leaving due to the perceived relationship he had with Brannen. He played a lot for a freshman and there's no reason to think he wouldn't see the floor a ton for the next 3 years. I'm not sure what to think.

RE: Transfer portal - Cataclysmo - 03-16-2021 11:10 AM

IDK. Makes the offseasons more fun. It's like watching NBA free agency.

RE: Transfer portal - Bear Catlett - 03-16-2021 11:12 AM

OK, Saunders was the LAST guy I thought would transfer out. What the flock!!!

If I was the AD, I'd be summoning coach B to the office and asking why is it that no one seems to want to play for you???

I could see if he was bringing in a class of studs and guys were seeing writing on the wall. We've got NOBODY. NO. BODY.

Think about that. NOBODY is coming in to vie for playing time and guys are STILL leaving. That is a big dadgummed problem.

RE: Transfer portal - geef - 03-16-2021 11:14 AM

(03-16-2021 11:10 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

Oh, it's great. I mean, who doesn't like spending 3/4 of the regular season wondering if or when the team will come together, only to see them all spread to the wind come March?

RE: Transfer portal - Cat-Man - 03-16-2021 11:17 AM

That's a Bingo.

Coach is mean = Transfer
Don't like your teammates = Transfer
Not getting enough playing time = Transfer
Not starting = Transfer
Not getting any "love" or the BMOC treatment= Transfer
Don't want to be part of rebuild = Transfer
Homesick = Transfer
No $50 handshakes = Transfer

It's the easy way out. Too easy to do by not having to sit out a year. Like others have said, no one honors commitment or wants to put the effort in to "build" something anymore. I call it the "Lebron effect".

RE: Transfer portal - Z-Fly - 03-16-2021 11:19 AM

(03-16-2021 11:10 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

You're having fun? I'm not having any fun. I would call it something else.

RE: Transfer portal - crex043 - 03-16-2021 11:20 AM

(03-16-2021 11:17 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  

That's a Bingo.

Coach is mean = Transfer
Not starting = Transfer
Homesick = Transfer

It's the easy way out. Too easy to do by not having to sit out a year. Like others have said, no one honors commitment or wants to put the effort in to "build" something anymore. I call it the "Lebron effect".

NCAA superteams will be next. And you can make a wild guess at the kinds of places they'll end up.

RE: Transfer portal - bearcatfan - 03-16-2021 11:23 AM

That's a Bingo.

Coach is mean = Transfer
Not starting = Transfer
Homesick = Transfer

I agree with this for the most part. The difference is a very good coach could overcome many or all of those excuses for transferring.

But the fact that it is now easy to transfer is a major problem.

There is really nothing preventing schools from recruiting/stealing players. "Come play for us - we are in a bigger conference and have a better chance at the NCAA tournament" or those "$50 handshakes".

RE: Transfer portal - chatcat - 03-16-2021 11:31 AM

I hope Mr. Cunningham has Mr. Brannen in his office today having a heart to heart as to what the Hell is going on with this once proud program. It's starting to look like the program is on the road to mid-major obscurity, and if Mr. Brannen can't change the direction he should consider seeking his fortune elsewhere.

RE: Transfer portal - mptnstr@44 - 03-16-2021 11:31 AM

If Saunders is gone...and Eason follows guessing the rest of the youngsters will go too except maybe Davenport because he is from Cincinnati.
No one will want to be the left behind rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship and starting over next year with basically a whole new team.

I've been supportive of Brannen getting 4 years but if the exodus continues Brannen has to go.
While Covid had an affect for sure....other coaches have kept their guys together and supported.

RE: Transfer portal - Blitz0921 - 03-16-2021 11:44 AM

Last one out turns off the lights.

RE: Transfer portal - dsquare - 03-16-2021 11:51 AM

That's a Bingo.

Coach is mean = Transfer
Not starting = Transfer
Homesick = Transfer

I think it's an even bigger issue with the guys coming up now because everything is AAU ball for them, and basically you can play for whomever you want. It's just bleeding through to the college game because they're making it easy to transfer and play. There aren't a lot of kids who are good who go to AAU teams to sit.

The problem is most of these kids are not ready to play on winning teams in their first and second year starter minutes. The transfer market is at best a mixed bag of results after guys leave. Still have to put in the work.

RE: Transfer portal - Cataclysmo - 03-16-2021 11:56 AM

(03-16-2021 11:14 AM)geef Wrote:  Oh, it's great. I mean, who doesn't like spending 3/4 of the regular season wondering if or when the team will come together, only to see them all spread to the wind come March?

Right!? 04-cheers