CSNbbs
Hero Sports CAA Preview - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Hero Sports CAA Preview (/thread-900822.html)

Pages: 1 2

Hero Sports CAA Preview - DukeQuin - 06-09-2020 01:42 PM

Guess who is the favorite, and who they came close to naming the favorite instead?

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2020-conference-preview-caa-colonial-ajaj

It's interesting as always, and in addition to the discussion of units and personnel they mention a topic that's been addressed here - the relative strengths of the MVFC and the CAA, and whether that will translate into a scrum from nearly top to bottom, or into several elite teams separating themselves.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - Purple - 06-09-2020 02:06 PM

(06-09-2020 01:42 PM)DukeQuin Wrote:  Guess who is the favorite, and who they came close to naming the favorite instead?

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2020-conference-preview-caa-colonial-ajaj

It's interesting as always, and in addition to the discussion of units and personnel they mention a topic that's been addressed here - the relative strengths of the MVFC and the CAA, and whether that will translate into a scrum from nearly top to bottom, or into several elite teams separating themselves.

Good stuff. Thanks!

While I agree with McLaughlin that we won't have the cakewalk through our schedule we had last year, I don't see it see it being so whisker-close with Nova as he does.

Of course, we play at Nova this year, which should be the CAA Game of the Year and who is under center for JMU will likely determine the difference.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - HyperDuke - 06-09-2020 02:10 PM

FB @ Villanova

Terrible atmosphere, but they don’t run out of beer in the endzone tent.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - boozeNammo - 06-09-2020 02:13 PM

Agree. Villanova football atmosphere is flat out terrible. They will be good this year though.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - HyperDuke - 06-09-2020 02:23 PM

Do they have a different coach than in 2018?

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - fishingduke12 - 06-09-2020 02:42 PM

I can see Nova leading the league in ppg but i have a feeling their defense is going to let them down this year. Would be great to see 2 CAA teams make a deep run in the post season this year (i'm assuming JMU will)

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - JMU08 - 06-09-2020 02:53 PM

Villanova could've easily won 11 or 12 games last season if they had a few more lucky bounces. I honestly think this could be the best non-JMU team in a long time. The defense was bad, but you can cover a lot of that up with a good running game. With Convington back, I expect them to be able to run out some of those games.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - HyperDuke - 06-09-2020 03:04 PM

(06-09-2020 02:23 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Do they have a different coach than in 2018?

Nope, still Ferrantes. Not scared.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - AssyrianDuke - 06-09-2020 03:34 PM

(06-09-2020 03:04 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(06-09-2020 02:23 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Do they have a different coach than in 2018?

Nope, still Ferrantes. Not scared.

He seems to be a decent recruiter, but I'm not sure about the X's and O's part the game. At least I think he's a good recruiter; it isn't like he walked into a bare cupboard when Talley left.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - HyperDuke - 06-09-2020 03:45 PM

Encountered a few prominent Nova players‘ parents who didn’t have great things to say. Seems like he’s like Lou Rowe thinking his players’ talents will eventually win him games.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - KickItToScotty - 06-09-2020 11:33 PM

I've actually never been to a game at Nova, between the matchup it should be and the October date it seems like a great year to make the trip. If that's possible of course, COVID might ruin that.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - Deez Nuts - 06-10-2020 07:32 AM

(06-09-2020 11:33 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  I've actually never been to a game at Nova, between the matchup it should be and the October date it seems like a great year to make the trip. If that's possible of course, COVID might ruin that.

Can you tailgate at Villanova yet? Gosh they are lame.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - JMUNation - 06-10-2020 07:47 AM

Tailgating at Nova is difficult unless you are a donor with a parking spot in the right section. The Duke Club does a pre-game at a local bar that we traveling fans often attend. Really neat area of Pennsylvania though with some nice small towns and one huge shopping center.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - HyperDuke - 06-10-2020 08:14 AM

Yeah tailgating there is pretty much impossible as it is at most HS football stadiums. Not even hyperbole. It’s a straight-up HS stadium. But the beer tent in the endzone is good.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - JMUNation - 06-10-2020 08:35 AM

I remember my first game there. From the parking lot, the outside of the stadium looks legit. I was so disappointed when I walked into the stadium for the first time. It is truly a high school stadium.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - Purple - 06-10-2020 09:01 AM

Calling Nova's stadium a "high school stadium" is an insult to some high schools.

Texas high school football stadiums are much bigger than Nova's.

Nova's stadium....
[Image: villanovastadium22.jpg]

Here are just a couple of local high school stadiums in my neck o' the woods....

Allen High School....
[Image: screen-shot-2015-08-28-at-6-17-21-am.png?w=625]

McKinney High School....
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - AssyrianDuke - 06-10-2020 09:58 AM

Right, but if you compare Villanova to Pennsylvania HS stadiums, I think it fits in pretty well. Allen and McKinney and some of the other larger Texas HS stadiums put a lot of FCS schools to shame. Maybe some Southland teams can rent out the stadiums on Saturdays...

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - JMURocks - 06-10-2020 10:32 AM

Nova’s stadium is pretty austere, but it has 50% more capacity than RU in their breadbox. Not that they use it often.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - HyperDuke - 06-10-2020 10:36 AM

RU football is definitely an actual joke.

RE: Hero Sports CAA Preview - JMUNation - 06-10-2020 11:51 AM

The D2 championship was at the McKinney stadium last year. I heard the large Texas high schoolers stadiums are shared with multiple schools. I am wondering if Texas high schools have large student populations than those in other states thus requiring larger stadiums to accommodate the student base.

Those are two nice stadiums by the way.