CSNbbs
Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools (/thread-900784.html)

Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools - DetroitRocket - 06-08-2020 08:49 PM

This is from March, but I hadn't seen it before. Some interesting information.
https://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/2020/02/192-million-in-student-fees-other-school-subsidies-for-sports-at-ohio-division-i-public-universities.html

RE: Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools - PaulJ - 06-09-2020 08:59 AM

(06-08-2020 08:49 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  This is from March, but I hadn't seen it before. Some interesting information.
https://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/2020/02/192-million-in-student-fees-other-school-subsidies-for-sports-at-ohio-division-i-public-universities.html

Yep, yet you would not believe the number of CFB donors, alumni, and members of the public, including here at UT, who still think college athletics are rich in their own revenues and able to cover all their costs, many are totally ignorant of the level of subsidy provided by students and the college operation budgets and that college athletics are totally dependent on those funds and also a major cost to the institution, especially in these days of budget cuts and decreased state subsidy and enrollment declines.

RE: Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools - UTerry - 06-09-2020 09:50 AM

One thing I found out a few years ago is that the Athletic Department must pay out of state tuition for athletes that are not from Ohio and Monroe County, Michigan.

I wonder where that "extra money" the bursar's office goes to even thought an athlete form Ohio and say Illinois receive the courses, books, food, dorm rooms, etc....

Also, how much is the out of state/international fees figure into the budget.

Please don't misunderstand the point I'm trying to make here. Why are those extra fees added to the Athletic Budget with no extra benefits for the athletes???? Seems like a shell game to me...…

RE: Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools - DetroitRocket - 06-09-2020 01:09 PM

Toledo: Pay and benefits: $6,611,265 for coaches and $4,289,401 for staff and administrators. This included $1,373,150 for head football coach, $711,499 for head men’s basketball coach and $526,368 for head women’s basketball coach.

RE: Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools - Boca Rocket - 06-09-2020 01:18 PM

(06-09-2020 08:59 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  
(06-08-2020 08:49 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  This is from March, but I hadn't seen it before. Some interesting information.

Yep, yet you would not believe the number of CFB donors, alumni, and members of the public, including here at UT, who still think college athletics are rich in their own revenues and able to cover all their costs, many are totally ignorant of the level of subsidy provided by students and the college operation budgets and that college athletics are totally dependent on those funds and also a major cost tAso the institution, especially in these days of budget cuts and decreased state subsidy and enrollment declines.

As a student I always thought the fees were well
worth the money spent. All the stuff I could do on
campus for free or very little cash. Same for student
Insurance and being able to use the student clinic.
Always said considering rent/mortgage, gym memberships, season tickets, etc. I'd be better off in school with a RV/Van.

RE: Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools - PaulJ - 06-09-2020 02:40 PM

(06-09-2020 01:18 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

Yep, yet you would not believe the number of CFB donors, alumni, and members of the public, including here at UT, who still think college athletics are rich in their own revenues and able to cover all their costs, many are totally ignorant of the level of subsidy provided by students and the college operation budgets and that college athletics are totally dependent on those funds and also a major cost tAso the institution, especially in these days of budget cuts and decreased state subsidy and enrollment declines.

Always said considering rent/mortgage, gym memberships, season tickets, etc. I'd be better off in school with a RV/Van.

Yet majority of students never attend a single UT Athletic event and in these budget times that's millions of dollars going away from supporting why students are actually attending college...

RE: Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools - RangerRocket - 06-09-2020 03:06 PM

(06-09-2020 02:40 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  

Yet majority of students never attend a single UT Athletic event and in these budget times that's millions of dollars going away from supporting why students are actually attending college...

On the other hand athletics are what draw many alumni back to the university and we have a hell of a lot more money than do students...

RE: Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools - FMRocket - 06-09-2020 03:21 PM

(06-09-2020 01:09 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Toledo: Pay and benefits: $6,611,265 for coaches and $4,289,401 for staff and administrators. This included $1,373,150 for head football coach, $711,499 for head men’s basketball coach and $526,368 for head women’s basketball coach.

Over $2,600,000 in salary for JC/TK/ and TC... Hmmm, not a lot of return in regards to -
MAC championships/ NCAA berths/ lately, to justify that kind of $$$ for a MAC school... 05-stirthepot

RE: Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools - PaulJ - 06-09-2020 03:26 PM

(06-09-2020 03:06 PM)RangerRocket Wrote:  

On the other hand athletics are what draw many alumni back to the university and we have a hell of a lot more money than do students...

Yet there aren't enough to generate revenue for Athletics to cover their expenses and in terms of donations - and those from alumni and fans coming on campus to attend games donate to Athletics - not the University.

RE: Student Fees/Subsidies/Salaries At Ohio DI Schools - BearcatMan - 06-09-2020 08:01 PM

(06-09-2020 03:26 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  
(06-09-2020 03:06 PM)RangerRocket Wrote:  
(06-09-2020 08:59 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  Yep, yet you would not believe the number of CFB donors, alumni, and members of the public, including here at UT, who still think college athletics are rich in their own revenues and able to cover all their costs, many are totally ignorant of the level of subsidy provided by students and the college operation budgets and that college athletics are totally dependent on those funds and also a major cost tAso the institution, especially in these days of budget cuts and decreased state subsidy and enrollment declines.

Yet there aren't enough to generate revenue for Athletics to cover their expenses and in terms of donations - and those from alumni and fans coming on campus to attend games donate to Athletics - not the University.

Yeah...if he thinks the University makes more money off of its alumni than its current students, he's got a lot bigger things to understand before we get to departmental line-items.