CSNbbs
MBB Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: MBB Recruiting (/thread-900209.html)

RE: MBB Recruiting - purplesanman - 04-07-2022 04:43 PM

(04-07-2022 07:10 AM)Bawlmer Duke Wrote:  Jaylin Hunter (ODU) has heard from JMU 6'0 195

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/vp-sp-odu-hunter-portal-20220323-vjmqvtxm3bdt7eouvrx3sas5ca-story.html

https://odusports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/jaylin-hunter/5998

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jaylin-hunter-1.html

Huh. I admit I don't know a ton about him, but his stats don't look like he would be a significant upgrade over Nacho and Strickland, who are also the 2 best perimeter defenders on the team. And it doesn't look like he is a great shooter, so they couldn't all play at the same time.

RE: MBB Recruiting - Bawlmer Duke - 04-10-2022 03:37 PM

Interest in Rayshon Harrison transfer from Presbyterian 6’4 SG

https://twitter.com/bigtimeray0/status/1513222214132371473?s=21&t=yRnOPEtSRCryQaXEPz084w

https://verbalcommits.com/players/rayshon-harrison

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4702195/rayshon-harrison

RE: MBB Recruiting - KickItToScotty - 04-10-2022 04:32 PM

(04-10-2022 03:37 PM)Bawlmer Duke Wrote:  Interest in Rayshon Harrison transfer from Presbyterian 6’4 SG

https://twitter.com/bigtimeray0/status/1513222214132371473?s=21&t=yRnOPEtSRCryQaXEPz084w

https://verbalcommits.com/players/rayshon-harrison

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4702195/rayshon-harrison

17 points per game, seems like he'd be a good get. Also sounds like he really loved his visit.

RE: MBB Recruiting - Polish Hammer - 04-10-2022 05:01 PM

Why are they posing recruits with a CAA trophy? 01-wingedeagle

RE: MBB Recruiting - Duke Dawg - 04-11-2022 07:33 AM

his highlights on Twitter are stellar.

but then i saw he shot only 26% from 3, which is below average.....but then 85% from the line. Room for improvement there but the low % could be a function of poor shot selection on a less talented team as his shot looks smooth and the FT line % is encouraging.

Seems like he would be a real good get. And lots of P5 teams are after him.

RE: MBB Recruiting - Dukes84 - 04-11-2022 10:28 AM

(04-11-2022 07:33 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  his highlights on Twitter are stellar.

but then i saw he shot only 26% from 3, which is below average.....but then 85% from the line. Room for improvement there but the low % could be a function of poor shot selection on a less talented team as his shot looks smooth and the FT line % is encouraging.

Seems like he would be a real good get. And lots of P5 teams are after him.

Even less DD! ESPN shows 24.3% from 3 and 36.5% overall, which is terrible! And it went down from his freshman year. You're right that he played on a bad team that went 12-20. He seems to be super athletic, as you suggest. He also played in the Big South, not a great conference.

My take on this roster is that this team desperately could use some shooting, especially with the losses of Falden, Hodge, McConnell and Stinson. As per Mettlen, Byington wants to get bigger with more athletic wings, but shooting is vital to the success of any hoops team and right now I don't see much of it on the roster (Morse, the best remaining shooter, had terrible shooting percentages this season - 36.5% overall and 34.3% from 3). I'm sure he wants to play fast to offset that weakness.

I saw someone mentioned that ODU player...not what JMU needs it would seem. I would have preferred keeping McConnell and Stinson. Byington and his staff knew that in prior years a player can't see the court if he wants to be redshirted. He took the risk that Covid would allow another year. A mistake in judgment to be sure. Thought I saw Longwood interested in McConnell. I thought both of those young guys looked promising, albeit against D3 competition.

I was surprised that Wooden stayed...don't think he fits Byington's system.

This is a vitally important offseason for Byington. He needs to get it right and he knows that.

RE: MBB Recruiting - KickItToScotty - 04-11-2022 11:59 AM

Appears he was the go-to guy from three on the Blue Hose, shot 218 while the next most was 88. Playing with Morse and Molson would definitely let him be pickier in his shot selection, but yeah it'd definitely be nice to also get someone that can shoot the three better than any of them. Also good to see that he acknowledges the need to improve there and is confident he can though, this was his last tweet before the one about the JMU visit:

RE: MBB Recruiting - Anders - 04-11-2022 01:33 PM

(04-11-2022 11:59 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Appears he was the go-to guy from three on the Blue Hose, shot 218 while the next most was 88. Playing with Morse and Molson would definitely let him be pickier in his shot selection, but yeah it'd definitely be nice to also get someone that can shoot the three better than any of them. Also good to see that he acknowledges the need to improve there and is confident he can though, this was his last tweet before the one about the JMU visit:

I agree that it’s a great sign that he can acknowledge the “weak spot” in his game that potential teams are pointing out.

RE: MBB Recruiting - Halz87 - 04-11-2022 02:51 PM

to give Rayshon (& Morse for that matter) their due. On a 12 - 20 team...if you are the go-to guy you are often taking lower percentage "hail mary's" at certain times which can really hurt your average. Winning teams don't have to heave so many desperation shots.

Also noted, from just scanning the stats it doesn't look like many other shooting options besides Rayshon on his team to free him up some.

RE: MBB Recruiting - olddawg - 04-11-2022 03:37 PM

The Harrison kid shot 35% 3 pointers two seasons ago on 5.9 attempts/game.
He dropped dramatically this past season averaging 24% on 6.8 long range shots/game.

I'd expect he'd return to previous form when he doesn't have to be the man.
But it is a little disconcerting seeing his 3 point shooting against higher caliber opponents. In 3 games against Clemson, Cincinnati and Tennessee last season, he was a combined 0-15 from long range.

RE: MBB Recruiting - Halz87 - 04-11-2022 05:01 PM

(04-11-2022 03:37 PM)olddawg Wrote:  The Harrison kid shot 35% 3 pointers two seasons ago on 5.9 attempts/game.
He dropped dramatically this past season averaging 24% on 6.8 long range shots/game.

I'd expect he'd return to previous form when he doesn't have to be the man.
But it is a little disconcerting seeing his 3 point shooting against higher caliber opponents. In 3 games against Clemson, Cincinnati and Tennessee last season, he was a combined 0-15 from long range.

I got lazy on my post and made some assumptions. After your response I went back and took a deeper look. While I do believe my main point made some marginal difference....there is no way to sugarcoat his average.

He had a lot of nights where he walked away with a 1 for 6 or worse at 3's. And nothing to hang your hat on, it didn't improve as the season went along. At least he is acknowledging his Achilles heel head-on. Props for that.

RE: MBB Recruiting - KickItToScotty - 04-12-2022 02:16 PM

Sun Belt 6th man of the year who had visited JMU after entering the portal.

RE: MBB Recruiting - Anders - 04-12-2022 02:45 PM

That sucks but I can accept it. Memphis is building something and there is appeal to play for Penny.

RE: MBB Recruiting - Dukes84 - 04-15-2022 09:45 AM

Just a few comments regarding recent posts:

1. Memphis is one of the top programs in the country and loaded with NBA talent. Larry Brown was actually an assistant there last season in his early 80s.
2. Eric Musselman has quickly turned around Arkansas program and they'll be a top five team next season. He's got two Elite Eight appearances in the last two years after coming on board three years ago and a top incoming recruiting class. Players are seeing his ability to get them to next level as a reason for going there. I'm bringing this up because I remember Tim Legler having interest in the JMU job. With 10 years of NBA experience and being an ESPN regular, he would have been an interesting hire. I always enjoy his hoops analysis, as I think it's top notch.
3. The W&M boards were blowing up with something like 6 transfers leaving via the portal, but they're quieter now that they just signed a 6-8, 4 star transfer from Pitt with 4 years of eligibility or so. Charleston also picked up a 4 star 6-8 player, but he has only one year of eligibility left.
4. In addition to losing that one recruit mentioned that was lost, Mettlen indicated that another recruit who had been scheduled to visit instead committed on a visit to another school and cancelled his JMU visit.
5. I'm surprised that Wilson got the VMI job if he was in charge of defense last year. Analytically, it was pretty bad -- see Bart Torvik site for more info.
6. I hope Byington doesn't overload on one position type and addresses fully the needs of the team, including shooting, rebounding and defense.

RE: MBB Recruiting - Bawlmer Duke - 04-16-2022 05:45 AM

Mettlen recruiting update

https://www.dnronline.com/sports/dukes-continue-to-look-for-new-players/article_ca612116-bf54-5395-ae66-6a6726c812e3.html

RE: MBB Recruiting - purplesanman - 04-16-2022 11:05 AM

If we can nab johnson, the big, and the three point shooter, I think we call it a day and save the last one for a potential midseason transfer.

RE: MBB Recruiting - Longhorn - 04-16-2022 12:06 PM

The Rayson Harrison guard posted the kind of 3 pt. shooting percentage JMU needs (41%), but the biggest need remains inside guys. Hopefully JMU can sign Okafor or the 6’8” 235# player (or both!) this off-season.

RE: MBB Recruiting - KickItToScotty - 04-16-2022 03:35 PM

(04-16-2022 12:06 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  The Rayson Harrison guard posted the kind of 3 pt. shooting percentage JMU needs (41%), but the biggest need remains inside guys. Hopefully JMU can sign Okafor or the 6’8” 235# player (or both!) this off-season.

Harrison isn't the 41% shooter, he was in the 20's but did post that tweet about he's gonna shoot 40% from three next year. Ituka is the one that shot 41%, although with far fewer attempts. Harrison was much more the go-to guy from three for Presbyterian, but honestly both seem they could be good fits even if Harrison doesn't improve much from three and especially if he does.

Those two along with Butta and a big would be very solid imo. I don't know if Harrison has an offer but he sounded like he absolutely loved JMU to the point I'd honestly be a little surprised if he goes elsewhere unless of course he doesn't get an offer.

RE: MBB Recruiting - Longhorn - 04-16-2022 08:32 PM

(04-16-2022 03:35 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(04-16-2022 12:06 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  The Rayson Harrison guard posted the kind of 3 pt. shooting percentage JMU needs (41%), but the biggest need remains inside guys. Hopefully JMU can sign Okafor or the 6’8” 235# player (or both!) this off-season.

Harrison isn't the 41% shooter, he was in the 20's but did post that tweet about he's gonna shoot 40% from three next year. Ituka is the one that shot 41%, although with far fewer attempts. Harrison was much more the go-to guy from three for Presbyterian, but honestly both seem they could be good fits even if Harrison doesn't improve much from three and especially if he does.

Those two along with Butta and a big would be very solid imo. I don't know if Harrison has an offer but he sounded like he absolutely loved JMU to the point I'd honestly be a little surprised if he goes elsewhere unless of course he doesn't get an offer.

Appreciate the correction! It’s getting hard to follow with all the potential offers out there.

I thought Okafor had expressed a strong interest in JMU at one time, and had a connection with coach B, so I’m surprised he’s not yet visited campus. Perhaps Okafor is being swayed by other “name” programs and that attention is coloring his outlook on his final decision. I believe if JMU can get a player on campus the shiny new arena and coaching staff can close the deal.

RE: MBB Recruiting - Dukes84 - 04-17-2022 09:34 AM

I thought the Okafor guy played at Massanutten Military Academy at one point, so he should be familiar with JMU. He's visiting Wichita State I thought it said. The two guys visiting this weekend seem to be good fits and have ties to the greater DC area, a natural and fertile recruiting ground for JMU (and a good bit of the rest of the East Coast - VA was well represented in Final Four). I think a point guard/combo guard (Ituka, Marist), two wings (Harrison, Presbyterian, being one and Butta Johnson being the other) and a big (Offurum, Mount) would make sense to fill out the roster.