CSNbbs
Toledo Baseball Update - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Toledo Baseball Update (/thread-900107.html)

Pages: 1 2

Toledo Baseball Update - indianasniff - 05-27-2020 10:12 AM

Dugout Club people got this in our email. Sounds like budgets are still in flux

Good morning!

I hope this email finds you safe and healthy during these challenging times. I wanted to take this time and update you on Toledo Baseball. As you are aware, our season was cut short due to the Covid-19 outbreak. The University made the decision to shut down on-campus learning. All students were sent home and went to an online distance learning platform in mid-March. As a staff, we were asked to vacate our offices on campus and work remotely from home. This was certainly a challenge, but our Baseball Team handled it like I knew they would, with EXCELLENCE! I’m happy to report that our team scored an outstanding 3.3+ Team GPA this Spring Semester. I’m very proud of the players and the way they finished in the classroom, despite the challenges they faced.

At the time of the season shutdown, we were just starting to hit our stride despite our overall record. We finished on a strong note taking 2 of 3 in a weekend series from a good UAB team. There is no doubt that we faced some late adversity in games blowing multiple leads in the final innings. Even though the outcomes were not exactly what we wanted or expected, I feel very good with the direction of the program. The players have bought in to the changes my staff and I have made, and the TEAM CULTURE has never been better. We are all chomping at the bit to get back to campus in the Fall and get back to work.

The Covid-19 pandemic has caused tremendous strain on the University. Like every College and University in the country, we will be dealing with some budget reductions and things will look different once we return to campus life. I wish could give you more details, but I do know that UToledo plans to re-open for on-campus learning as scheduled in August. The NCAA has cleared the path for football teams to resume on-campus activities starting in June, which is a great thing. I think everyone is aching for college football to get here and signal that things are slowly getting back to normal.

I also wanted to give you an update on the Dugout Club. I very much appreciate all your support this past year. Your donations to the Dugout Club allow us to operate at a high level. In being as transparent as I can, I wanted to let you know exactly how your contributions go to support our program…
Each year I have to bring $18,000 over from the Dugout Club to directly supplement our programs operating budget. Anything above that can be used at my discretion to enhance the program.
This year we used your contributions to completely remodel the Baseball locker-room, clubhouse, and home dugout. We also had our home bullpen and game mound professionally re-built by the Toledo Mudhen grounds crew.
I already have identified some new projects at Scott Park that we plan to tackle this coming year. I will share those projects in the near future.

All of these upgrades directly impacted the daily development and overall experience for our baseball players. So from all of us at Toledo Baseball….THANK YOU!!!

Lastly, I owe many of you your gifts for joining the Dugout Club in 2019-20. I was in the process of getting those ready to ship when the shut-down order came. I’m waiting for clearance from the University leadership to move back on campus. Once we get the go ahead and our new budget, I will get all those packages in the mail. I apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience!

As always, if I can do anything to help or answer any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Thank you for your time and support of Rocket Baseball.

GO ROCKETS!!!

Rob Reinstetle
Head Coach

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - IamN2daRockets! - 05-28-2020 10:15 AM

Will we keep baseball? What is the General opinion Of this board?

Do we need to keep it to stay at minimum number of sports or will the minimum number be relaxed by NCAA?

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - BearcatMan - 05-28-2020 12:43 PM

(05-28-2020 10:15 AM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  Will we keep baseball? What is the General opinion Of this board?

Do we need to keep it to stay at minimum number of sports or will the minimum number be relaxed by NCAA?

Yes, although many schools are testing that including App State, CMU, and UConn are testing the 16 sport minimum and how the NCAA will address their "case by case" waiver.

Will we keep it? I don't know...
Should we keep it? Almost certainly not...

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - UofToledoFans - 05-28-2020 01:48 PM

If we had the Carter field thing built I'd want to keep it, but since we don't, aaaaand have never won a title... If there is a way to get our budget down and cut this and not spend crazy money on a baseball field. I'm down.

Toledo Baseball Update - indianasniff - 05-28-2020 02:37 PM

Shutting down would be sad. While our history has been bad I am excited about this new coach. I think there are other ways to reduce budgets than cut sports in total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - DetroitRocket - 05-28-2020 03:57 PM

(05-28-2020 12:43 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(05-28-2020 10:15 AM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  Will we keep baseball? What is the General opinion Of this board?

Yes, although many schools are testing that including App State, CMU, and UConn are testing the 16 sport minimum and how the NCAA will address their "case by case" waiver.

App State was at 20, so cutting three should have them at 17.

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - BearcatMan - 05-28-2020 04:15 PM

(05-28-2020 03:57 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(05-28-2020 12:43 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

App State was at 20, so cutting three should have them at 17.

The other post on this forum said they had 18 prior to cutting the three sports they were dumping, serves me right for trusting a message board 03-lmfao

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - IamN2daRockets! - 05-28-2020 04:40 PM

Tough choices. IMHO the baseball team will not survive based on the proposed sale of the Scott Park campus. Per the earlier post - it might have escaped the chopping block if the new Carter field had already been built. I grew to love UT baseball during the last few years as a way of relaxing and watching good baseball at a reasonable price while still rooting for UT.

Go Rockets!

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - rocketinchitown - 05-29-2020 09:12 AM

Never understood why Toledo baseball couldn't make it off the ground. Toledo is a baseball town and has Fifth Third Field. You'd think Toledo baseball could play there some times during the season, especially attracting bigger programs. Seems they never really tried hard enough.

With that said, hockey should have never been nixed, especially with all the programs within proximity.

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - DetroitRocket - 05-29-2020 09:39 AM

(05-29-2020 09:12 AM)rocketinchitown Wrote:  Never understood why Toledo baseball couldn't make it off the ground. Toledo is a baseball town and has Fifth Third Field. You'd think Toledo baseball could play there some times during the season, especially attracting bigger programs. Seems they never really tried hard enough.

With that said, hockey should have never been nixed, especially with all the programs within proximity.

Toledo used to play BG at FTF at one time. Hockey is soooo expensive.

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - UTerry - 05-29-2020 09:43 AM

(05-29-2020 09:39 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(05-29-2020 09:12 AM)rocketinchitown Wrote:  Never understood why Toledo baseball couldn't make it off the ground. Toledo is a baseball town and has Fifth Third Field. You'd think Toledo baseball could play there some times during the season, especially attracting bigger programs. Seems they never really tried hard enough.

Toledo used to play BG at FTF at one time. Hockey is soooo expensive.

at least you can sell tickets and people can go to the games.....
baseball is played a lot on weekday afternoons....

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - rocket 51 - 06-02-2020 08:32 PM

Baseball has underperformed since 1970’s. There were a few good years thrown in ( Roger Coe - Neal Mersh). Coach Sanders program never really did anything consistently. If you could get the NCAA to rule on the exceptions to the 16 team minimum we should can it immediately. Certainly no money spent on a new facility for sure!

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - IamN2daRockets! - 06-03-2020 07:45 AM

Baseball restored at BG. That’s good news for all involved in the MAC. Hope UT can keep it going.

Go Rockets!

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - DetroitRocket - 06-03-2020 08:19 AM

(06-02-2020 08:32 PM)rocket 51 Wrote:  Baseball has underperformed since 1970’s. There were a few good years thrown in ( Roger Coe - Neal Mersh). Coach Sanders program never really did anything consistently. If you could get the NCAA to rule on the exceptions to the 16 team minimum we should can it immediately. Certainly no money spent on a new facility for sure!

70's? How about 50's?

If Scott Park is sold, I don't know what happens. There certainly is no money to build new facilities as you say. As I posted before, I believe many MAC schools would drop all men's sports except football and basketball if they were allowed.

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - UofToledoFans - 06-03-2020 09:37 AM

What do we do with Carter Hall then?

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - BearcatMan - 06-03-2020 09:47 AM

(06-03-2020 09:37 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  What do we do with Carter Hall then?

That's gone either way from what I've heard.

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - DetroitRocket - 06-03-2020 10:02 AM

(06-03-2020 09:47 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

What does it cost to knock it down?

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - BearcatMan - 06-03-2020 10:12 AM

(06-03-2020 10:02 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(06-03-2020 09:47 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

What does it cost to knock it down?

Less than it costs to maintain at this point...having a rough estimate of square footage and the mobilizations needed for the amount of material they'd have, I'd say around $500,000 or so. When you consider that it costs the University $750,000 to maintain Scott Park at subsistence level with no occupants, it would stand to reason that getting rid of Carter would probably be paid back in savings over the course of a few years at most. The whole reason behind dumping baseball and softball would be that it would cost us 40 students, but likely net us around $1,500,000 in savings every year with getting rid of the Scott Park burden, scholarships, travel expenses, etc. (not counting the cost to build a new stadium and the connected financing).

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - UofToledoFans - 06-03-2020 02:31 PM

Carter is super livable. That's the weird thing. It's in good shape. Was renovated in 2010 with new HVac etc. UT may not need more on campus housing, but the rooms are big... The POD gets used. I'd say re open.

RE: Toledo Baseball Update - BearcatMan - 06-03-2020 02:59 PM

(06-03-2020 02:31 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Carter is super livable. That's the weird thing. It's in good shape. Was renovated in 2010 with new HVac etc. UT may not need more on campus housing, but the rooms are big... The POD gets used. I'd say re open.

The problem is the last year it was open it was running at something like 40% capacity...at that point, it's not even worth keeping it open. With enrollment going down, it's kind of against the current to reopen an aging facility that costs the University more than the revenue it generates.