CSNbbs
Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 (/thread-899687.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - RobtheAggie - 05-18-2020 11:57 AM

I do not want to take credit for this, but I did want to repost.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-899676.html

I wonder if they will simply walk away.

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - IWokeUpLikeThis - 05-18-2020 12:05 PM

Looking forward to CSU keeping D1 athletics and watching the meltdowns. 04-rock

Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - Johnny Crunch - 05-18-2020 12:08 PM

They just hired a WBB coach. Seems like they wouldnt have done so if they were going to scrap the whole thing. I wonder if they will seek a waiver from NCAA to drop below 16 sports "temporarily"

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - DoubleRSU - 05-18-2020 12:19 PM

Maybe it’s just to see how things are going. Some departments don’t give updates at every meeting. Guess we will find out later

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - joshadam84 - 05-18-2020 12:40 PM

There’s been some mixed reports. I’m hopeful it is just a discussion..plans on generating revenue.. and to balance their budget. I plan on trying to tune to listen.

Like IWokeUpLikeThis, I’m not thinking D1 is in jeopardy at this point in time, either. JC is right..if it was that dire then they wouldn’t have hired the WBB coach.

Lots of speculation at the moment!

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - RobtheAggie - 05-18-2020 12:44 PM

If there is no movement, the realignment board might blow up. Some of the threads there are lots of fun to read and laugh at. I just hope that whatever decision is made, they make the correct one for them, not all of the people in these boards.

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - Lopes87 - 05-18-2020 01:04 PM

Could they be dropping baseball?
Aren't they already not in compliance with WAC with their sports offerings?

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - dancingNMSUaggie - 05-18-2020 01:17 PM

No offense to our beloved JoshAdams who I admire for his loyalty and long suffering but I hope the WAC gets to the point where they can say bye bye Chicago State.

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - DoubleRSU - 05-18-2020 03:07 PM

(05-18-2020 01:17 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  No offense to our beloved JoshAdams who I admire for his loyalty and long suffering but I hope the WAC gets to the point where they can say bye bye Chicago State.

Same here. With UMKC gone, ditching CSU would tighten up the geography. Plus CSU is straight up garbage

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - gleadley - 05-18-2020 04:05 PM

If you didn't dial in for the meeting, you missed a show. Needless to say, the meeting was move to executive session before athletics was discussed by the board.

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - joshadam84 - 05-18-2020 04:15 PM

Freaking idiots ruining the damn call.. which is a shame for the student athletes involved
I am surprised there weren’t more controls available to the moderator to either block additional callers or just mute everyone unless you’re presenting.

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - IWokeUpLikeThis - 05-18-2020 04:19 PM

(05-18-2020 04:05 PM)gleadley Wrote:  If you didn't dial in for the meeting, you missed a show. Needless to say, the meeting was move to executive session before athletics was discussed by the board.

That was wilder than any reality tv show out there. There were trolls everywhere hacking the meeting.

Before the trolls, it was pointed out in the chatroom that dropping baseball would set CSU below the NCAA-required 2 Men's team sports for Division 1 membership. The chatroom then disappeared and people kept calling to bring the chatroom back.

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - gleadley - 05-18-2020 04:23 PM

(05-18-2020 04:15 PM)joshadam84 Wrote:  Freaking idiots ruining the damn call.. which is a shame for the student athletes involved
I am surprised there weren’t more controls available to the moderator to either block additional callers or just mute everyone unless you’re presenting.

Given the emotions involved, it's not that far fetched to imagine some of the disruption was perpetuated by the scorned student athletes themselves. There wasn't any disruption on the call until the first request for chat features to be re-enabled. If anyone on the call hadn't realized they still had access to an open mic at that point, they sure did after. It seemed to me that is when things really went off the track.

My guess is Chicago St administration doesn't have a lot of experience running virtual public meetings, so probably did not set up the environment to mute all participants and disallow them to unmute themselves. Rookie mistake.

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - joshadam84 - 05-18-2020 04:24 PM

Yeah, a few interrupted the conversation asking to turn back on the chat.. which like you said, had a valid point being brought up which I’m assuming the BoT haven’t really done their research on.

Once the trolls logged in.. freaking chaos. Only had a couple more agenda items to get to it as well.

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - IWokeUpLikeThis - 05-18-2020 04:25 PM

(05-18-2020 04:23 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 04:15 PM)joshadam84 Wrote:  Freaking idiots ruining the damn call.. which is a shame for the student athletes involved

Given the emotions involved, it's not that far fetched to imagine some of the disruption was perpetuated by the scorned student athletes themselves. There wasn't any disruption on the call until the first request for chat features to be re-enabled. If anyone on the call hadn't realized they still had access to an open mic at that point, they sure did after. It seemed to me that is when things really went off the track.

100%. If you were paying closely attention, the trolls started after the administration disabled the chatroom where it was pointed out about baseball needed for D1 membership. The players probably did it themselves as a last resort to stall the meeting after the moderator pulled those shenanigans.

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - gleadley - 05-18-2020 04:30 PM

(05-18-2020 04:25 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

100%. If you were paying closely attention, the trolls started after the administration disabled the chatroom where it was pointed out about baseball needed for D1 membership. The players probably did it themselves as a last resort to stall the meeting after the moderator pulled those shenanigans.

It's pretty short-sighted on their part, if so. The business will now be done behind closed doors and there is justification for it. That's not to say they didn't already intend to move the athletics conversation to executive session, which I 1000% believe was probably the plan anyway. If it was players and families doing the disruption, they gave the board valid reason for having that conversation and vote offline and NOBODY gets to hear the hows and whys of the thought process.

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - joshadam84 - 05-18-2020 04:30 PM

My guess is Chicago St administration doesn't have a lot of experience running virtual public meetings, so probably did not set up the environment to mute all participants and disallow them to unmute themselves. Rookie mistake.

Very true. I haven’t used GoTo Meeting with my work but I’m sure it’s a lack of knowledge of how to utilize it.

Whether it was someone affiliated with CSU or not.. hard to say.
I’d at least think the players would want to hear the topic being brought up. Perhaps afterwards all hell would break loose but not beforehand which is why I’d say it’s someone just being an a-hole not affiliated with the school. But who knows...

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - Lopes87 - 05-18-2020 04:36 PM

All I know is that the baseball team made claim that if their sport is cut graduation rates will drop further and there are hovering around 13% as it is. They also made comments about how they are 1 of a very small list of programs that are some what competitive and that they win more than 2 games a year.

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - Fighting Muskie - 05-18-2020 04:39 PM

Is this meeting available to listen to now? Anyone have a link?

RE: Chicago St to discuss athletics today in Board of Trustees Meeting - 18 May 2020 - joshadam84 - 05-18-2020 04:39 PM

They were definitely making some comments towards the some of the other programs there for sure.
The graduation rate— that’s unfortunately Chicago State And the type of non-traditional student they cater towards. It’s not your normal 18-22 year old type school at all.