CSNbbs
Name, Image and Likeness Rights - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Name, Image and Likeness Rights (/thread-899594.html)

Name, Image and Likeness Rights - eroc - 05-15-2020 04:55 PM

i know this discussed in various places on this board but this is article related to NILs and the earning potential associated with social media. There is a fair amount of projection in here but also data related to some of the top social media collegiate athletes across both mens and womens sports. This has the potential to create an even wider gap between the haves and have nots of collegiate sports. i can see a world where schools leverage their respective fan bases as potential social media leads/conversions for prospective athletes to monetize as liking/following doesn't cost anything. How would Cincy compete? Would athletic scholarships, or scholarship limits, lose their meaning if an athlete could "walk-on" to Alabama or LSU because their earning potential already exceeds the cost of attendance(?). in any case, whenever this gets implemented by the ncaa i could see a bubble forming as a bunch of cash gets splashed around. i'm more interested in what happens when the bubble pops.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-money-could-student-athletes-make-as-social-media-influencers/

RE: Name, Image and Likeness Rights - dubcat14 - 05-15-2020 08:47 PM

Is it insensitive to say 'thank you' to good looks and Instagram?

RE: Name, Image and Likeness Rights - Captain Bearcat - 05-16-2020 08:23 AM

This line in the article made me chuckle:
Quote:Compliance will continue to be a headache for the NCAA, many contend. “Most universities are understaffed already,” Maestas said. “It’s just the nature of amateur athletics and being a part of a non-for-profit state school.”

UC's athletic department has about 200 employees in its directory for roughly 500 student-athletes. Akron has 162 employees for "300+" athletes. How is that "understaffed" in any way?