CSNbbs
NCAA Name and Likeness - WAC top earners - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: NCAA Name and Likeness - WAC top earners (/thread-899355.html)

NCAA Name and Likeness - WAC top earners - NMSUIndyAg - 05-11-2020 12:01 PM

I periodically frequent the MWC board and they had a thread about the new rule stating athletes can earn money based on teams using their name and likeness.

The question I have is, who are your top 3 earners for the WAC?

I will withhold my thoughts so I don’t lead the witnesses. Who would be most likely to earn some money?

GO AGGIES!!!!

RE: NCAA Name and Likeness - WAC top earners - YesCubanB - 05-11-2020 12:14 PM

I know a lot of Texas schools have some deep pockets with their oil money ties as does GCU but without the oil. Would this enable them to entice some higher level athletes with advertising deals or how does this whole thing work? I’m too lazy to actually look it up.

RE: NCAA Name and Likeness - WAC top earners - gleadley - 05-11-2020 04:28 PM

(05-11-2020 12:14 PM)YesCubanB Wrote:  I know a lot of Texas schools have some deep pockets with their oil money ties as does GCU but without the oil. Would this enable them to entice some higher level athletes with advertising deals or how does this whole thing work? I’m too lazy to actually look it up.

I have no idea how it all works, but I would almost anticipate student-athletes in smaller college towns might have more earning potential for image and likeness than in bigger cities. If Las Cruces loves the Aggies as much as I believe it does, its not hard to imagine local businesses lining up for paid NMSU player endorsements.

For however deep GCU's pockets are or are not, Phoenix is a saturated sports and tourism market. I honestly don't think there is a single GCU player who moves the needle enough in this market to warrant advertising dollars. It's probably not that far-fetched to think that Lopes players are rarely even recognized in public, if not for being really tall, travelling in a group, and/or wearing GCU Basketball gear.

RE: NCAA Name and Likeness - WAC top earners - NMSUIndyAg - 05-11-2020 04:56 PM

Reading through just a few articles, a couple things stick out about this proposed legislation.

1. A university can not be the party that pays the student athlete. All payments must come from third party vendors for when an athlete endorses their business or product.

2. The use of school or conference logos would be prohibited.

3. The board’s recommendations are not yet final so some of the details are lacking.

GO AGGIES!!!