CSNbbs
New Mexico cuisine - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: New Mexico cuisine (/thread-899091.html)

Pages: 1 2

New Mexico cuisine - Fighting Muskie - 05-06-2020 08:08 AM

All of your talk on one of the other threads about New Mexico food is making me hungry.

My wife has cousins out there and if they’d ever get around to settling down and getting married we will need to make a trip out there.

Please dish on your favorite local dishes and restaurant ls in the state that we should try to visit.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - PojoaquePosse - 05-06-2020 08:49 AM

(05-06-2020 08:08 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  All of your talk on one of the other threads about New Mexico food is making me hungry.

My wife has cousins out there and if they’d ever get around to settling down and getting married we will need to make a trip out there.

Please dish on your favorite local dishes and restaurant ls in the state that we should try to visit.

It really boils down to northern or southern NM. The state is quite large. Where in NM do they live and/or would you visit? Start there and we can give you some locations.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - Trod0 - 05-06-2020 09:28 AM

(05-06-2020 08:49 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 08:08 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  All of your talk on one of the other threads about New Mexico food is making me hungry.

It really boils down to northern or southern NM. The state is quite large. Where in NM do they live and/or would you visit? Start there and we can give you some locations.

Exactly what PoJo said. It depends on whether it’s Southern or Northern NM food. Even though it’s the same state the cuisine is different. Some things the south makes better and some things the north does. From my personal experience I didn’t like anything in Santa Fe but last time I ate there was 2001. It’s seemed catered to tourists and not authentic.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - PojoaquePosse - 05-06-2020 09:55 AM

(05-06-2020 09:28 AM)Trod0 Wrote:  

Exactly what PoJo said. It depends on whether it’s Southern or Northern NM food. Even though it’s the same state the cuisine is different. Some things the south makes better and some things the north does. From my personal experience I didn’t like anything in Santa Fe but last time I ate there was 2001. It’s seemed catered to tourists and not authentic.

Blasphemy!! Santa Fe has the best restaurant in the world: Tomasita's. Throw in Pasquals, Tia Sophia's, the Shed, etc. The list goes on and on. 04-cheers

RE: New Mexico cuisine - edinburger - 05-06-2020 09:59 AM

Can't afford to eat in Santa Fe anyway. At least in Los Cruces you can get a big plate of interesting local food for less than $10.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - Trod0 - 05-06-2020 10:18 AM

(05-06-2020 09:55 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

Blasphemy!! Santa Fe has the best restaurant in the world: Tomasita's. Throw in Pasquals, Tia Sophia's, the Shed, etc. The list goes on and on. 04-cheers

Lol I don’t remember what the restaurant was called but the local people said it was the best restaurant in town. I knew I was screwed once we got served our chips and salsa. The tortilla chips were like Tostitos and the salsa tasted like ketchup. Being from the south I ordered green chicken enchiladas and when they came out and damn, I was forced to eat them because I never leave food on a plate. Maybe things have changed because like I said this was back in 2001. Maybe one day I’ll give Santa Fe another shot but I’ll be scared

RE: New Mexico cuisine - Fighting Muskie - 05-06-2020 10:54 AM

Moriarty, NM, so really Central NM. Not to far from Santa Fe or Albuquerque.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - PojoaquePosse - 05-06-2020 10:55 AM

(05-06-2020 10:18 AM)Trod0 Wrote:  

Lol I don’t remember what the restaurant was called but the local people said it was the best restaurant in town. I knew I was screwed once we got served our chips and salsa. The tortilla chips were like Tostitos and the salsa tasted like ketchup. Being from the south I ordered green chicken enchiladas and when they came out and damn, I was forced to eat them because I never leave food on a plate. Maybe things have changed because like I said this was back in 2001. Maybe one day I’ll give Santa Fe another shot but I’ll be scared

I grew up in Santa Fe, so I am used to the food there. Living in ABQ, there are surprisingly few good NM restaurants. The green chile is funky. I refer to it as ABQ Green. LC has tons of good NM restaurants.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - Trod0 - 05-06-2020 11:07 AM

(05-06-2020 10:55 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 10:18 AM)Trod0 Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 08:49 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  It really boils down to northern or southern NM. The state is quite large. Where in NM do they live and/or would you visit? Start there and we can give you some locations.

I grew up in Santa Fe, so I am used to the food there. Living in ABQ, there are surprisingly few good NM restaurants. The green chile is funky. I refer to it as ABQ Green. LC has tons of good NM restaurants.

Great point. I think we get use to the food that we grew up around and when we travel to other cities or regions of the state the food is different and not what we’re use to. I’m sure to outsiders they really can’t tell the difference like we can.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - NeptunianEmp - 05-06-2020 11:21 AM

Frito Pie is my favorite dish. It is more of a northern or central NM dish than a southern one. I recommend getting it christmas because you get the best of both types of chiles. La Choza is a damn good restaurant in Santa Fe. It's the sister restaurant to The Shed but cheaper. In Cruces Chilitos is pretty good over all and you can get a 24 oz Pistol Pete's 1888 for $5 during happy hour.
Also green chile cheeseburgers are the way to go.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - Itinerant Texan - 05-06-2020 11:34 AM

(05-06-2020 11:21 AM)NeptunianEmp Wrote:  Frito Pie is my favorite dish. It is more of a northern or central NM dish than a southern one. I recommend getting it christmas because you get the best of both types of chiles. La Choza is a damn good restaurant in Santa Fe. It's the sister restaurant to The Shed but cheaper. In Cruces Chilitos is pretty good over all and you can get a 24 oz Pistol Pete's 1888 for $5 during happy hour.

Frito Pie04-rock

RE: New Mexico cuisine - gleadley - 05-06-2020 12:15 PM

(05-06-2020 11:21 AM)NeptunianEmp Wrote:  Frito Pie is my favorite dish. It is more of a northern or central NM dish than a southern one. I recommend getting it christmas because you get the best of both types of chiles. La Choza is a damn good restaurant in Santa Fe. It's the sister restaurant to The Shed but cheaper. In Cruces Chilitos is pretty good over all and you can get a 24 oz Pistol Pete's 1888 for $5 during happy hour.

Now y'all are speaking my language. I might have to come through for one of those games in LC now, if college basketball is ever played again.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - dancingNMSUaggie - 05-06-2020 01:08 PM

Northern New Mexico food sucks. Not even close to Southern NM food.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - dancingNMSUaggie - 05-06-2020 01:08 PM

(05-06-2020 12:15 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

Now y'all are speaking my language. I might have to come through for one of those games in LC now, if college basketball is ever played again.

You let me know gleadly. Dinner, on me.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - RobtheAggie - 05-06-2020 02:59 PM

The Burger Nook by Apadoca Park was the best place in LC for Green Chili Cheeseburgers. They were so good. I do not even know if they are still open. Also, Robert's on Lomador is a great place to go at about 8:40, right before they close. I ordered about 4 soft chicken tacos, there was 2x or 3x the normal amount of chicken because they were closing soon. La Posta and the Double Eagle are good, but focused on tourists. There is so much good food in LC. Jalisco's is the best one in Silver City. My wife is from there. Mmmmmm, I think I need to find a way back to Southern NM soon.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - Fighting Muskie - 05-06-2020 04:48 PM

Thanks for all your recommendations everyone.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - NMSUIndyAg - 05-06-2020 07:43 PM

I’m with PojoPops on this one. Just the thought of Tomasitas gets my mouth watering. And The Shed? Oh my!!! Go just north to Ranch de Chimayo and you won’t regret it either (bit of a drive but worth it). Just make sure you get reservations before going.

These are all in Santa Fe, by the way. Just saw you would be in Moriarty, so Rancho dr Chimayo may be a challenge. As far as plates go, I always go green Chile chicken enchiladas. Just remember the state question, “red or green” refers to the type of Chile you want on your plate. Christmas means both red and green.

GO AGGIES!!!!

RE: New Mexico cuisine - PojoaquePosse - 05-07-2020 03:38 PM

(05-06-2020 04:48 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Thanks for all your recommendations everyone.

I don't think we ever answered your question directly. Moriarty is a tiny town and I'm not familiar with any restaurants there. But you are close to Albuquerque (30-45 minute drive). I suggest you drive there.

Tomasita's (a bit touristy, but delicious)
Garcia's (where the locals go)
Los Padilla's (also a local spot; cash only)
Sadie's (food is good, chile is just OK, but their salsa is incredible)
Church Street Café (in Old Town, cool place to walk around)

RE: New Mexico cuisine - NMSUPistolPete - 05-07-2020 03:44 PM

(05-07-2020 03:38 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 04:48 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Thanks for all your recommendations everyone.

I don't think we ever answered your question directly. Moriarty is a tiny town and I'm not familiar with any restaurants there. But you are close to Albuquerque (30-45 minute drive). I suggest you drive there.

Its touristy but there is El Pinto in Corrales, NM. My parents eat at place call Las Salitas in the ABQ Northeast heights. Papa Felipe's used to be pretty good. But I haven't eaten there in many years. I'm not a big fan of Garduños but its popular in ABQ.

RE: New Mexico cuisine - NeptunianEmp - 05-07-2020 06:03 PM

(05-06-2020 11:34 AM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  

Frito Pie04-rock

(05-07-2020 03:38 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

I forgot Tomasita's opened a location in ABQ. The owner and his family are really nice, went to high school with the son. They always made food for the Santa Fe Greek Festival and that was good.