CSNbbs
Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now (/thread-899042.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - Plaid Blazer - 05-05-2020 09:25 AM

Thought some would find this interesting so posted in the main board. Also in the past week the seating rows started.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_158868835473813&key=1686da1044273e8a4540f89500b72810&libId=k9u00xw301001vmn000DAafdoeqvv&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fcsnbbs.com%2Fthread-880479.html&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fpublic.earthcam.net%2FProtective_Stadium.tJ90CoLmq7TzrY396Yd88A4GG_jX5QZ6UVuT746YHlc!%2Fprotective_stadium%2Fprotective_stadium_construction_cam%2F22nd_street_view&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fcsnbbs.com%2Fforumdisplay.php%3Ffid%3D388&title=Protective%20Stadium%20Cam%2C%20News%20%26%20Updates%20(4%2F3%2F2020)&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fpublic.earthcam.net%2FProtective_S...treet_view

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - BlazinBham - 05-05-2020 10:10 AM

Yay!

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - DragonLair - 05-05-2020 11:40 AM

Starting to take shape!

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - linus - 05-05-2020 04:58 PM

That was pretty cool

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 05-06-2020 01:42 PM

It is beginning to look like a stadium now. Metro B'ham has chosen this venue as its 21st century sports facility (along with the renovations to Legacy Arena) for at least the next 50 years and one can hope that it becomes something better in fan amenities than a junior sized Legion Field. We won't know about bathrooms and concessions until the stadium is up and running. BTW, What are the planned accommodations for mobility challenged fans who can't use ramps and stairs? Will wheelchair fans be limited to a south end zone type site like at Legion Field?

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - jaymay2525 - 05-06-2020 02:36 PM

(05-06-2020 01:42 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  It is beginning to look like a stadium now. Metro B'ham has chosen this venue as its 21st century sports facility (along with the renovations to Legacy Arena) for at least the next 50 years and one can hope that it becomes something better in fan amenities than a junior sized Legion Field. We won't know about bathrooms and concessions until the stadium is up and running. BTW, What are the planned accommodations for mobility challenged fans who can't use ramps and stairs? Will wheelchair fans be limited to a south end zone type site like at Legion Field?

With the ADA i would have to think it will better than Legion field which was an add on. This will be built with ADA in mind

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 05-06-2020 02:41 PM

(05-06-2020 02:36 PM)jaymay2525 Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 01:42 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  It is beginning to look like a stadium now. Metro B'ham has chosen this venue as its 21st century sports facility (along with the renovations to Legacy Arena) for at least the next 50 years and one can hope that it becomes something better in fan amenities than a junior sized Legion Field. We won't know about bathrooms and concessions until the stadium is up and running. BTW, What are the planned accommodations for mobility challenged fans who can't use ramps and stairs? Will wheelchair fans be limited to a south end zone type site like at Legion Field?

With the ADA i would have to think it will better than Legion field which was an add on. This will be built with ADA in mind

I hope and pray that your optimism is warranted

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - ATTALLABLAZE - 05-06-2020 02:43 PM

It is 100% ADA compliant. It would not have been approved or gone to bid without it being compliant. ABC reviewed and approved the bid documents.

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - BatesUAB - 05-06-2020 03:55 PM

I've got the inside scoop. As for the bathrooms, it's just going to be holes in the floor of the concourse, so I wouldn't recommend roaming around the bottom floor without wearing a poncho. No toilet paper. And no sinks, just use your pants to wipe off your hands. As for concessions, there's going to be one garden hose in the north end zone. We will all have to take turns to get a drink. Next to that will be a Pez dispenser. Regarding ADA accommodations- yeah, there'll be none of that, because F the crippled people, federal lawsuits be damned.

Are these serious questions you are asking?? (Of course I know they aren't, it's just you whining about us leaving Legion Field, like you always have, since time immemorial.)

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - BlazrDawg - 05-06-2020 04:40 PM

Impressive

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - BlazrDawg - 05-06-2020 05:10 PM

(05-06-2020 04:40 PM)BlazrDawg Wrote:  I wonder what happened to the construction cam.. The link shown in the Stadium thread goes to a 404 error page???? It was working last night, but havent gotten it to connect today. Oh well, its working now. Making great progress. Interesting how they are laying some sort of yellow covering around the bowl part of the stadium,,, and at the lower part of the yellow,, what actually looks like the concrete base of rows of stands start to appear a few days or weeks later.. Must be Construction Magic.

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 05-07-2020 06:27 PM

(05-06-2020 03:55 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  

I've got the inside scoop. As for the bathrooms, it's just going to be holes in the floor of the concourse, so I wouldn't recommend roaming around the bottom floor without wearing a poncho. No toilet paper. And no sinks, just use your pants to wipe off your hands. As for concessions, there's going to be one garden hose in the north end zone. We will all have to take turns to get a drink. Next to that will be a Pez dispenser. Regarding ADA accommodations- yeah, there'll be none of that, because F the crippled people, federal lawsuits be damned.

Are these serious questions you are asking?? (Of course I know they aren't, it's just you whining about us leaving Legion Field, like you always have, since time immemorial.)

In 1998 I voted with a majority of those who lived inside B'ham to replace Legion Field with a state of the art MPF (MAPS). We were out voted by those living elsewhere in Jeffco (backed by the state's leadership) so the issue failed, and we were left with the lies of its opponents (RAPS). How did you vote in 1998?
If I am to be accused of "whining", it is because I still believe B'ham needed to build the MPF, but I have accepted the fall back BJCC Stadium now being built as the best we chose to do. It will serve the limited needs of UAB football for the next couple of decades, but the city needed a more versatile facility for the 21st century. B'ham was forced to give in to those of more limited vision for the city's future. They fit in well in a state proud of its docile, cheap and hard working labor force. In my lifetime Alabama has dropped from 9 U.S. House seats to a projected 6 in 2020. How far down do we have to go before someone notices and demands a less docile citizenry?

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - MAN4UAB - 05-08-2020 06:53 AM

It is fascinating to watch the time elapsed video of all the work that goes into constructing the stadium.

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - BatesUAB - 05-08-2020 10:35 AM

(05-07-2020 06:27 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  In 1998 I voted with a majority of those who lived inside B'ham to replace Legion Field with a state of the art MPF (MAPS). We were out voted by those living elsewhere in Jeffco (backed by the state's leadership) so the issue failed, and we were left with the lies of its opponents (RAPS). How did you vote in 1998?
If I am to be accused of "whining", it is because I still believe B'ham needed to build the MPF, but I have accepted the fall back BJCC Stadium now being built as the best we chose to do. It will serve the limited needs of UAB football for the next couple of decades, but the city needed a more versatile facility for the 21st century. B'ham was forced to give in to those of more limited vision for the city's future. They fit in well in a state proud of its docile, cheap and hard working labor force. In my lifetime Alabama has dropped from 9 U.S. House seats to a projected 6 in 2020. How far down do we have to go before someone notices and demands a less docile citizenry?

In 1998 I was 17 years old, a senior in high school, and didn't live in Jefferson County, so I didn't vote on it. I get it, you're still upset that a dome didn't get built 20 years ago. But this incessant questioning about "what amenities the stadium will have" is idiotic. It's like you're afraid that we're going to end up with a 4A high school stadium- metal bleachers on the sidelines, a concrete block concession stand in the end zone with bathrooms around back. This thing is going to be nice. No, it won't have a roof like you want, but you're going to just have to quit grinding that ax. Just let it go Elsa.

I anticipate some really good concession options, including some local beers and maybe some local food vendors. Bathrooms will probably be pretty nice, too. And considering the fact it is the year 2020, it will be designed with ADA in mind. And I will tell you this too- the reason it will be nice is because it isn't the perennial dumpster fire known as the City of Birmingham driving the bus (like they do Legion Field).

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 05-08-2020 03:54 PM

(05-08-2020 10:35 AM)BatesUAB Wrote:  
(05-07-2020 06:27 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  In 1998 I voted with a majority of those who lived inside B'ham to replace Legion Field with a state of the art MPF (MAPS). We were out voted by those living elsewhere in Jeffco (backed by the state's leadership) so the issue failed, and we were left with the lies of its opponents (RAPS). How did you vote in 1998?

In 1998 I was 17 years old, a senior in high school, and didn't live in Jefferson County, so I didn't vote on it. I get it, you're still upset that a dome didn't get built 20 years ago. But this incessant questioning about "what amenities the stadium will have" is idiotic. It's like you're afraid that we're going to end up with a 4A high school stadium- metal bleachers on the sidelines, a concrete block concession stand in the end zone with bathrooms around back. This thing is going to be nice. No, it won't have a roof like you want, but you're going to just have to quit grinding that ax. Just let it go Elsa.

I anticipate some really good concession options, including some local beers and maybe some local food vendors. Bathrooms will probably be pretty nice, too. And considering the fact it is the year 2020, it will be designed with ADA in mind. And I will tell you this too- the reason it will be nice is because it isn't the perennial dumpster fire known as the City of Birmingham driving the bus (like they do Legion Field).

When you say "I anticipate better amenities" (than those at Legion Field), you are admitting to the same level of "hope and prayer" that I expressed about the new stadium. None of those better grade food and drink amenities have been guaranteed by anyone in authority. Like you, I am hopeful that name brand professional concessions in food and drink will be offered at the new stadium rather than the amateur volunteer service we were/are used to getting until then. We will see in 2021 or 2022 what kinds of improved services the BJCC will provide for the whole BJCC complex.

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - blazers9911 - 05-08-2020 04:22 PM

They aren’t building a brand new facility to be a smaller version of legion field. It just doesn’t even make sense to think that’s what’s going on.

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 05-08-2020 04:42 PM

(05-08-2020 04:22 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  They aren’t building a brand new facility to be a smaller version of legion field. It just doesn’t even make sense to think that’s what’s going on.

And when will we know for sure how different they are? When we actually go to games played there, but changes made at that point will not be inexpensive. The builders are giving the BJCC what they were paid to build so I hope we get it right the first time.

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - blazers9911 - 05-08-2020 05:00 PM

I assure you a lot of people put time and effort into a modern stadium. There are plenty of newer stadiums to base it off of.

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - UAB Schnauzer - 05-08-2020 09:05 PM

I think the new stadium has one major design flaw. Even with that flaw it is a huge improvement in just about every way over legion field. Light years ahead of legion field. It is also a much nicer facility than UAB could have built.

RE: Stadiums first big concrete pour is happening now - BlazerGreen - 05-09-2020 07:55 AM

An on campus stadium would have been great but IMO what is being built is better for our long term growth as a program. If we're going to just depend on UAB alums and students to attend our games, that's going to put a lower ceiling on our growth. We have to become more to Birmingham like the Memphis Tigers are to their city. I think playing downtown gives us a better chance of making that happen than playing on campus.

I love Bartow Arena but when UAB basketball moved from the BJCC, we lost something. I think playing football at Protective Stadium is a big step towards getting it back.