CSNbbs
Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall (/thread-898919.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - ODU True Blue - 05-01-2020 07:22 PM

Could this be the start of a real large arena?

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - mac - 05-01-2020 08:01 PM

Housing. Hopefully lots of it.

https://veermag.com/2020/05/norfolk-purchases-military-circle-mall/

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - ODU2K1 - 05-01-2020 09:10 PM

(05-01-2020 07:22 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  Could this be the start of a real large arena?

If I had to guess I would say that would be on the short list for what will be going in there. It is a big piece of land. If they can get the rest of the out parcels and clear that entire area that could be really transformative. The mayor really wants a new arena in Norfolk. Downtown would be the ideal spot but this would be the next best location and probably the most likely to entice financial help from Virginia Beach and Chesapeake.

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - LetsGoODU - 05-01-2020 09:31 PM

(05-01-2020 08:01 PM)mac Wrote:  Housing. Hopefully lots of it.

https://veermag.com/2020/05/norfolk-purchases-military-circle-mall/

Low income housing

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - ODU True Blue - 05-01-2020 11:36 PM

Low income housing will not generate the businesses, environment, and tax revenue the city wants there. That 2017 study said potential 6,000 housing units. The article said nothing about actual plans.

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - Blue_Trombone - 05-02-2020 12:07 AM

I'm just gonna drop this in here: https://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/27580/Military_Circle_UDA_Vision_Plan?bidId=

As well as some selected images from the attached document (titled Military Circle/Highway UDA: A Vision for the Future):

[Image: hvLjgAi.png]

[Image: XuOm0Oc.png]

[Image: 3JNlN1S.png]

[Image: WUqAGc9.png]

[Image: Jdu3tSf.png]

[Image: U4icWvJ.png]

[Image: FoZZf9d.png]

I would also add that I believe that these plans could very easily be altered to allow for an urban district with residential, commercial, and retail uses that is anchored by a stadium (very similar to a proposal in Raleigh that is gaining steam right now [pictured below])

[Image: image.jpg]

I don't think this land will be used for low income housing.

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - mac - 05-02-2020 06:49 AM

(05-02-2020 12:07 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  I'm just gonna drop this in here: https://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/27580/Military_Circle_UDA_Vision_Plan?bidId=

As well as some selected images from the attached document (titled Military Circle/Highway UDA: A Vision for the Future):

[Image: hvLjgAi.png]

[Image: XuOm0Oc.png]

[Image: 3JNlN1S.png]

[Image: WUqAGc9.png]

[Image: Jdu3tSf.png]

[Image: U4icWvJ.png]

[Image: FoZZf9d.png]

I would also add that I believe that these plans could very easily be altered to allow for an urban district with residential, commercial, and retail uses that is anchored by a stadium (very similar to a proposal in Raleigh that is gaining steam right now [pictured below])

[Image: image.jpg]

I don't think this land will be used for low income housing.

Thanks for that info Trombone. This is is a great opportunity for the city and they bought this land for a great price.

I know those are just kinda dream general sketches done years back this is a great place for mixed housing and business, although I hope it’s geared to lots of housing. And light rail going right down Military Hwy and through/near this project would be good.

Would be shocked if they bring up the dead horse of an arena at this location . Let VB or Chesapeake with all their land and money worry about that kinda stuff. Norfolk needs to expand its tax base.

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - mac - 05-02-2020 06:53 AM

Btw Trombone. In re-reading the Veer article. I see they mention tearing down the remaining part of the mall.

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - Blue_Trombone - 05-02-2020 03:54 PM

(05-02-2020 06:49 AM)mac Wrote:  Thanks for that info Trombone. This is is a great opportunity for the city and they bought this land for a great price.

I know those are just kinda dream general sketches done years back this is a great place for mixed housing and business, although I hope it’s geared to lots of housing. And light rail going right down Military Hwy and through/near this project would be good.

Would be shocked if they bring up the dead horse of an arena at this location . Let VB or Chesapeake with all their land and money worry about that kinda stuff. Norfolk needs to expand its tax base.

No problem! This kinda stuff is my shtick. Agreed that this is a fantastic opportunity for the city. Since they have been actively researching expanding the Tide on the east side I'm sure that that will play a big part in future plans.

In regards to the stadium, I mention it only because there is talk about having the arena in the Military Circle area, and Stadium-Anchored urban centers are getting kinda popular right now, so I could see the city going in that direction. They of course could not go in that direction at all and I think we'll find out more of what the plan is in the upcoming months/years.

Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - EverRespect - 05-02-2020 05:29 PM

Last thing we need around here is more housing and another fake downtown. Not my money so I really don't care, but this is going to be another disaster.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - 84Monarch - 05-03-2020 07:49 AM

(05-02-2020 05:29 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Last thing we need around here is more housing and another fake downtown. Not my money so I really don't care, but this is going to be another disaster.

Ever, just out of curiosity do you ever have anything other than negative comments? It doesn’t seem to matter the subject, I have not scene a positive from you on anything. I really feel sorry for you.

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - Gilesfan - 05-03-2020 08:14 AM

Fantastic redevelopment opportunity. I would love for an arena to be included but either way its a great location for a mixed-use district.

Im assuming if they want to re develop, they have to negotiate out of movement mortgage lease

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - EverRespect - 05-03-2020 09:49 AM

(05-03-2020 07:49 AM)84Monarch Wrote:  
(05-02-2020 05:29 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Last thing we need around here is more housing and another fake downtown. Not my money so I really don't care, but this is going to be another disaster.

Ever, just out of curiosity do you ever have anything other than negative comments? It doesn’t seem to matter the subject, I have not scene a positive from you on anything. I really feel sorry for you.
Read the COVID thread. My comments there are positive!

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - 84Monarch - 05-03-2020 10:43 AM

My apologies, I should have mentioned non Covid items specifically

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - Monarchist13 - 05-03-2020 12:14 PM

(05-03-2020 08:14 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Im assuming if they want to re develop, they have to negotiate out of movement mortgage lease

That's already done. Sentara is moving into the space they're occupying in the next couple months.

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - Gilesfan - 05-03-2020 04:47 PM

(05-03-2020 12:14 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(05-03-2020 08:14 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Im assuming if they want to re develop, they have to negotiate out of movement mortgage lease

That's already done. Sentara is moving into the space they're occupying in the next couple months.

Movement moving where?

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - Monarchist13 - 05-03-2020 05:16 PM

(05-03-2020 04:47 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(05-03-2020 12:14 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Movement moving where?

Sorry, I don't know that side of the equation.

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - Monarchist13 - 01-05-2021 05:11 PM

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - Odubob - 01-07-2021 05:56 PM

Thugs, fights, shootings etc drove shoppers out of that area. Will it all now magically disappear? Something to think about.

RE: Norfolk Buys Military Circle Mall - Gilesfan - 01-07-2021 06:02 PM

(01-07-2021 05:56 PM)Odubob Wrote:  Thugs, fights, shootings etc drove shoppers out of that area. Will it all now magically disappear? Something to think about.

Are you talking about Lynnhaven Mall?