CSNbbs
NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness (/thread-898827.html)

Pages: 1 2

NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - jsw3ent - 04-29-2020 07:48 PM

....does it help or hurt MEMPHIS...what say you.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - BandwagonJumper - 04-29-2020 07:59 PM

i dont care, as long as NCAA football comes back to xbox

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - jsw3ent - 04-29-2020 08:07 PM

(04-29-2020 07:59 PM)BandwagonJumper Wrote:  i dont care, as long as NCAA football comes back to xbox

I think it will .

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - FORealTigerFan - 04-29-2020 08:13 PM

(04-29-2020 07:59 PM)BandwagonJumper Wrote:  i dont care, as long as NCAA football comes back to xbox

Yep, been waiting a long time.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - Alanda - 04-29-2020 08:13 PM

Took long enough. It could make transferring more intriguing for the player than before once the transfer rule goes into affect.

Here's an article talking about that.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/NCAA-EA-Sports-college-football-video-game-player-likeness-ruling-reaction-146613554/#146613554_7

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - Tigerx3 - 04-30-2020 05:55 AM

(04-29-2020 07:48 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  ....does it help or hurt MEMPHIS...what say you.

Yes

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - TheJesBro - 04-30-2020 08:37 AM

It would be even better if it was 2K College Football and not EA.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - fsquid - 04-30-2020 08:52 AM

(04-29-2020 07:48 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  ....does it help or hurt MEMPHIS...what say you.

I think it hurts football and I'm unsure the effect on basketball

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - No2rdame - 04-30-2020 10:17 AM

(04-30-2020 08:52 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

I think it hurts both. If players get a cut of sales they're going to where the visibility is greatest and where there is a larger fan base. We've got a passionate but not exceedingly large fan base, but our national exposure is weak compared to P5 schools.

To be honest, though, I haven't paid much attention to the details of this in the news media so I don't really know much of what the NCAA is planning.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - jgardne - 04-30-2020 10:47 AM

(04-29-2020 08:13 PM)FORealTigerFan Wrote:  

Yep, been waiting a long time.

this was the barrier right? It's going to come back. I imagine NCAA football will make a percentage of revenue to be able to split among players and players opt in or opt out.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - tigerlands - 04-30-2020 11:17 AM

IMO it will be used as a recruiting tool. The programs with the most influence, power and big money boosters will come out ahead. And Memphis ain't one of those programs, at least for football.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - Stickboy46 - 04-30-2020 11:20 AM

(04-29-2020 08:07 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  

I think it will .

Theoretically it could happen now. The problem is that there is no one bargaining unit for ALL the players. So they would have to get agreements from EVERY individual player that is put into the game. That makes it extremely unlikely. The Pros are negotiated through the unions.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - Crazier - 04-30-2020 11:22 AM

(04-30-2020 08:37 AM)TheJesBro Wrote:  It would be even better if it was 2K College Football and not EA.

EA college football games weren't bad. There Maddens are booty though.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - Tiger87 - 04-30-2020 11:23 AM

Still a lot of details to work out. But if true image and likeness is allowed, it could help us in both sports.

Forget about the national level. Nothing changes there. The top of the top are going to get national contracts no matter where they are. Tua is still going to Bama, Joe is still going to LSU, and Trevor is still go to Clemson. Wiseman & Green are still getting national contracts whether here or at UK.

Think local. As the poster above said, we have a passionate fan base. Think about the opportunities for players to make $1,000 on a Saturday promotion at Jim Keras. Or make $500 on a weekday signing autographs at Wing Guru. Or get a cut of real jersey sales at Tiger Bookstore. No, that won't compete with Bama in football - just like we don't now. But it could give us an advantage over conference rivals without the passion our fans have. And the opportunities shouldn't be any less than some of our top-end recruiting competition (Old Miss, Miss State, etc.).

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - former guest - 04-30-2020 11:24 AM

(04-30-2020 10:17 AM)No2rdame Wrote:  

I think it hurts both. If players get a cut of sales they're going to where the visibility is greatest and where there is a larger fan base. We've got a passionate but not exceedingly large fan base, but our national exposure is weak compared to P5 schools.

To be honest, though, I haven't paid much attention to the details of this in the news media so I don't really know much of what the NCAA is planning.

That is my thought also. And, with the transfer rule changes removing the sit-out year, does that also speed up the process? Think about it - if a standout player on our team can transfer to a P5 school with more exposure and they get a cut from a much more bigger pie, and they don't have to sit out a year, what's to stop them?

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - Stickboy46 - 04-30-2020 11:26 AM

(04-30-2020 11:24 AM)former guest Wrote:  
(04-30-2020 10:17 AM)No2rdame Wrote:  

That is my thought also. And, with the transfer rule changes removing the sit-out year, does that also speed up the process? Think about it - if a standout player on our team can transfer to a P5 school with more exposure and they get a cut from a much more bigger pie, and they don't have to sit out a year, what's to stop them?

You are basically going to have constant free agency with no salary cap. Not sure that's a great thing for anybody but the very top schools.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - memtigbb - 04-30-2020 11:55 AM

First thing an amateur athlete needs to do now is hire a lawyer, an agent, and a financial advisor.

I would suggest making these hires after the 8th grade.

No child should have to try to figure out which school is going to be the best for him now, he needs experts to gauge what his profit earning could be at each individual school that is recruiting him.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - jgardne - 04-30-2020 12:06 PM

(04-30-2020 11:55 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  First thing an amateur athlete needs to do now is hire a lawyer, an agent, and a financial advisor.

I would suggest making these hires after the 8th grade.

No child should have to try to figure out which school is going to be the best for him now, he needs experts to gauge what his profit earning could be at each individual school that is recruiting him.

yep. The ncaa is ridiculous.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - gotigers1 - 04-30-2020 12:31 PM

(04-30-2020 08:37 AM)TheJesBro Wrote:  It would be even better if it was 2K College Football and not EA.

^^^This, all of this.

At this point EA will just do a copy and paste of College's on Madden, and anyone that has played Madden lately knows it has gotten worse over the years.

RE: NCAA to allow players to be paid and/or profit from name/likeness - memphisike - 05-04-2020 10:36 AM

If this is a job, will they be paying tuition