CSNbbs
WAC Tourney Eligibility - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: WAC Tourney Eligibility (/thread-898699.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

WAC Tourney Eligibility - PojoaquePosse - 04-27-2020 01:52 PM

What does this all mean? What if any of these schools win the WAC tourney?

https://twitter.com/JTheSportsDude/status/1254841286386827265

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - PojoaquePosse - 04-27-2020 02:06 PM

Here is the official announcement from the WAC website. In reality, the WAC is just removing eligibility from 4 years to 3. At least it will prevent the tourney from consisting of only 6 teams.

https://www.wacsports.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/releases/20200427lqsnzz

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - Trod0 - 04-27-2020 02:34 PM

I can see what they did it but I’m not for it. Why put the conference in that kind of situation if one of teams happens to pull off winning the tournament? That would be like a 16 seed for the eligible team. You can’t just put the tip in without going all the way.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - wisdomgymrat - 04-27-2020 03:20 PM

You’ve played just the tip as well... noice!

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - gleadley - 04-27-2020 03:25 PM

This is the right move. It was the right move back when GCU was transitioning, but that's old news. I'm glad the conference leadership and member institutions finally "get it" & I can't wait to welcome new member teams and fans to the tournament.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - gleadley - 04-27-2020 03:33 PM

(04-27-2020 02:06 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  Here is the official announcement from the WAC website. In reality, the WAC is just removing eligibility from 4 years to 3. At least it will prevent the tourney from consisting of only 6 teams.

I don't follow the 4 years to 3 math, PP. Without the change, the earliest transitioning schools could participate was after the 4th full season of competition. So, really Year 5 would've been their first season of conference tournament eligibility. With this update, they are now eligible to compete in Year 3 instead of Year 5. Was there another detail I missed?

One thing I do find interesting is that the press release only indicates that this applies to the basketball tournaments. What about the remaining conference-sponsored sports? Is it just tough luck for the transitioning baseball, softball, soccer, and other teams? That would be disappointing.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - gleadley - 04-27-2020 03:44 PM

(04-27-2020 02:34 PM)Trod0 Wrote:  I can see what they did it but I’m not for it. Why put the conference in that kind of situation if one of teams happens to pull off winning the tournament? That would be like a 16 seed for the eligible team. You can’t just put the tip in without going all the way.

If a team loses to a transitioning program in the conference tournament , they have solidly earned that #16 seed. Maybe even one of those First Four games, tbh.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - PojoaquePosse - 04-27-2020 05:14 PM

(04-27-2020 03:33 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(04-27-2020 02:06 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  Here is the official announcement from the WAC website. In reality, the WAC is just removing eligibility from 4 years to 3. At least it will prevent the tourney from consisting of only 6 teams.

I don't follow the 4 years to 3 math, PP. Without the change, the earliest transitioning schools could participate was after the 4th full season of competition. So, really Year 5 would've been their first season of conference tournament eligibility. With this update, they are now eligible to compete in Year 3 instead of Year 5. Was there another detail I missed?

One thing I do find interesting is that the press release only indicates that this applies to the basketball tournaments. What about the remaining conference-sponsored sports? Is it just tough luck for the transitioning baseball, softball, soccer, and other teams? That would be disappointing.

You are 100% correct. I'm a fool. The WAC is lopping off 2 years, not 1. And I suspect they may have cut even further but didn't want to piss off CBU. I'm fine with the move.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - dancingNMSUaggie - 04-27-2020 05:16 PM

IMO terrible move. Terrible. Hopefully NMSU in another conference before this kicks in. This just cheapens big time the conference tournament in Vegas. Also, if one of the transitioning teams does pull off a giant monumental upset (which could happen), the WAC is going to look like a doofus conference sending its highest seeded LOSER to the NCAA tournament. No. Me no Like.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - DoubleRSU - 04-27-2020 06:17 PM

(04-27-2020 05:16 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  IMO terrible move. Terrible. Hopefully NMSU in another conference before this kicks in. This just cheapens big time the conference tournament in Vegas. Also, if one of the transitioning teams does pull off a giant monumental upset (which could happen), the WAC is going to look like a doofus conference sending its highest seeded LOSER to the NCAA tournament. No. Me no Like.

I don’t see the problem. As an NMSU fan, this benefits your team the most. If Tarleton wins, the Aggies would go to the NCAA Tournament. If Utah Valley won a 6 team tournament, you would go to the NIT. Don’t see how you can be upset about this.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - gleadley - 04-27-2020 06:36 PM

(04-27-2020 05:16 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  IMO terrible move. Terrible. Hopefully NMSU in another conference before this kicks in. This just cheapens big time the conference tournament in Vegas. Also, if one of the transitioning teams does pull off a giant monumental upset (which could happen), the WAC is going to look like a doofus conference sending its highest seeded LOSER to the NCAA tournament. No. Me no Like.

Is there really a difference between having our permanent resident 8 seed Chicago St and transitioning schools there, though? I don't know how anything can further cheapen a conference tournament that everyone goes to anyway.

If it was currently the case that only the top 6 conference schools qualify for the tournament and they were now flinging the gates wide for everyone, I might understand the "cheapening" argument. As it stands, I really don't see the downside to this.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - gleadley - 04-27-2020 06:40 PM

(04-27-2020 05:14 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

You are 100% correct. I'm a fool. The WAC is lopping off 2 years, not 1. And I suspect they may have cut even further but didn't want to piss off CBU. I'm fine with the move.

I think 2 years is probably the right amount of time. With all the D1 structures and support that transitioning schools need to get in place, 2 years feels like the right amount of time for them to do so before also having to allocate resources toward conference post-season tournaments/competition.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - NMSUPistolPete - 04-27-2020 07:57 PM

I have no problem with D1 transitioning teams participate in the WAC tournament as long as there is an accepted response to sent an NCAA tournament eligible team as the WAC representative in the event that Cal Baptist, Dixie State, or Tarleton State wins the conference tournament within the next two to four years. This is only a short term change in the Tournament rules; well at least until the WAC possibly adds more D2 schools. I know this decision was made in order to generate more money at the WAC tournament. And, used as a stopgap from reducing the amount of games played due to Cal State Bakersfield and UM Kansas City leaving the conference. Next season WAC tournament will be a seven-team tournament with one bye for the top seed. And, with two years it will be a nine-team tournament with a play-in game for the 8th seed.

I feel there is a lot of money to be made for the conference with Cal Baptist, Dixie State and Tarleton State being able to participate in the WAC tournament. Cal Baptist's and Dixie State's proximity to Las Vegas lend to a good fan following and Tarleton State appears to have a good fan following who is willing to travel; much like the New Mexico State fans. Right now, NMSU and GCU bring the most fan support. Utah Valley has a decent fan following when they are good. Unfortunately, Seattle U, UTRGV, and Chicago State only bring a handful of fans to the WAC Tournament currently.

Just curious? Does Tarleton State and Dixie State (and Cal Baptist for that matter) have a nickname for their fan support? Grand Canyon calls their student body "The Havoc". And, GCU buys a section of the Orleans Arena for them at the WAC Tournament. And, New Mexico State's fan support is called the PanAmaniacs (due Aggie arena, the Pan American Center).

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - wisdomgymrat - 04-27-2020 08:09 PM

Tarleton has had a few. PANKUS (spirit organization) used to call themselves Lonn’s Posse when Lonn Reisman was the head coach. Other than that, no, their is no organized overall group name.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - NMSUPistolPete - 04-27-2020 08:17 PM

(04-27-2020 08:09 PM)wisdomgymrat Wrote:  Tarleton has had a few. PANKUS (spirit organization) used to call themselves Lonn’s Posse when Lonn Reisman was the head coach. Other than that, no, their is no organized overall group name.

Yeah, there was a time when Aggie fans used to wear "Reggie Nation" T-shirt's due to our head coach at the time being Reggie Theus. PanAmaniacs comes from a time in the mid-1990 when NMSU use to pack the Pan American Center and Neil McCarthy was our head coach. It's not as prevalent a term used for Aggie fans now. But the term is still recognized by all Aggie fans.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - dancingNMSUaggie - 04-27-2020 08:54 PM

NMSUs really does not have a name for our student section.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - Itinerant Texan - 04-27-2020 09:01 PM

(04-27-2020 08:09 PM)wisdomgymrat Wrote:  Tarleton has had a few. PANKUS (spirit organization) used to call themselves Lonn’s Posse when Lonn Reisman was the head coach. Other than that, no, their is no organized overall group name.

Yes PANKUS, The Plowboys, and let us not forget the Purple Poo, the oldest spirit organization in the State of Texas. Visiting teams are going to see a wide variety of interesting characters in the stands. Consider yourself warned.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - Itinerant Texan - 04-27-2020 10:30 PM

(04-27-2020 06:40 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(04-27-2020 05:14 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

I think 2 years is probably the right amount of time. With all the D1 structures and support that transitioning schools need to get in place, 2 years feels like the right amount of time for them to do so before also having to allocate resources toward conference post-season tournaments/competition.

I concur.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - Itinerant Texan - 04-27-2020 10:40 PM

But I'm sure your coach will use it as extra motivation. On the flip side, let's sayTarleton beats NMSU in the chip game, and NMSU goes on to the dance, who do you think they'll be talking about on TV? The team that should've been there.

RE: WAC Tourney Eligibility - NMSUPistolPete - 04-27-2020 11:26 PM

(04-27-2020 08:54 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  NMSUs really does not have a name for our student section.

The name PanAmaniacs refers to the Aggie home fans as a whole. You are right, there is no nickname for just the student section; in the same way GCU refers to their student section as the Havoc.