CSNbbs
NIU schedules 2025 Opener - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: NIU schedules 2025 Opener (/thread-898620.html)

Pages: 1 2

NIU schedules 2025 Opener - IWokeUpLikeThis - 04-25-2020 12:54 PM

https://fbschedules.com/holy-cross-to-play-at-niu-in-2025-adds-home-and-home-with-rhode-island/

Quote: The Holy Cross Crusaders will play at the Northern Illinois Huskies in 2025 and have scheduled a home-and-home series with the Rhode Island Rams, Holy Cross Director of Athletics Marcus Blossom has announced.

Holy Cross will travel to take on Northern Illinois at the Huskie Bowl in Dekalb, Ill., on Aug. 30, 2025. The game will mark the first-ever meeting between the two schools on the gridiron.

08/30 - Holy Cross
09/06 - Maryland
09/13 - at Iowa
09/27 - at UMass

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - thxjoenovak - 04-25-2020 01:40 PM

Welp..another nothing burger that’s right up there with Cal Poly.

If you’re going to do FCS, make it a regional opponent to put fannies in the seats.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - IWokeUpLikeThis - 04-25-2020 02:02 PM

(04-25-2020 01:40 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  Welp..another nothing burger that’s right up there with Cal Poly.

If you’re going to do FCS, make it a regional opponent to put fannies in the seats.

Yep. And if no nearby FCS bites, take a regional buy game on the road. Or start a G5 H&H.

I remember the 2014 Presbyterian Thursday opener in the rain. There weren’t 2k people there for the 2nd half.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - Big Red - 04-25-2020 02:43 PM

I was going to defend this and say people here (who commented) were over-reacting.

And then I realized this wasn't for the basketball team.

Nevermind.

NIU schedules 2025 Opener - Dog Fan - 04-25-2020 02:46 PM

This is fantastic! What a stroke of scheduling genius! I have always dreamed of playing Holy Cross, and now my dream will come true! And, the game will be played at the Huskie Bowl, which I assume will be our new stadium in 2025! All great news! We get to play Holy Cross as the inaugural game in our new stadium! I am so excited that I may not be able to sleep tonight. This is big time, fellas, and we have made it!!!

P.S. Where is NIU’s and STF’s press release on this huge announcement?

NIU schedules 2025 Opener - Dog Fan - 04-25-2020 02:53 PM

Considering that the Maryland game will not be played or will be at SeatGeek, the Holy Cross game will be our only home OOC game.

I am calling VCB on Monday to make sure they have game day T-shirts and even place my order for a dozen.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - thxjoenovak - 04-25-2020 03:21 PM

(04-25-2020 02:02 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(04-25-2020 01:40 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  Welp..another nothing burger that’s right up there with Cal Poly.

Yep. And if no nearby FCS bites, take a regional buy game on the road. Or start a G5 H&H.

I remember the 2014 Presbyterian Thursday opener in the rain. There weren’t 2k people there for the 2nd half.

I mean... Presbyterian and Holy Cross? Are synagogues next?

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - Big Red - 04-25-2020 03:26 PM

(04-25-2020 03:21 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  

I hear Rochelle Zell in Deerfield is looking for a money game.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - NIU75 - 04-25-2020 03:47 PM

How about Rockford College. Sorry. The basketball team has dibs on Rockford.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - MaddDawgz02 - 04-25-2020 03:49 PM

(04-25-2020 02:53 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Considering that the Maryland game will not be played or will be at SeatGeek, the Holy Cross game will be our only home OOC game.

I am calling VCB on Monday to make sure they have game day T-shirts and even place my order for a dozen.

Always hope this game can still be moved to the Vatican

NIU schedules 2025 Opener - Dog Fan - 04-25-2020 03:51 PM

No, that won’t happen. NIU tried to schedule a synagogue team, but they wanted to schedule it on a Jewish holiday, so the synagogue declined. The synagogue will be replaced by either Lutheran Community College or the Mahatma Gandhi Hindu University of Peace and Nirvana.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - IWokeUpLikeThis - 04-25-2020 03:54 PM

(04-25-2020 02:46 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  P.S. Where is NIU’s and STF’s press release on this huge announcement?

They’re waiting on it because it’s going to be played at Joliet Memorial Stadium. Press conference at Stateville.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - NIU75 - 04-25-2020 04:19 PM

“We’re really excited to add Northern Illinois to our future schedule,” said Blossom. “This game will be very beneficial to our admissions and recruiting efforts in the Chicago area as well as provide a great opportunity for our many loyal alumni in the region to see their Crusaders compete against a really good FBS opponent.”

We would be lucky to get 100 Holy Cross loyal alumni fans to this game. Compare that to the WIU, ISU and EIU fans that showed up for their game. SF will be long gone before Holy Cross comes to DeKalb.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - Big Red - 04-25-2020 04:24 PM

(04-25-2020 04:19 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  “We’re really excited to add Northern Illinois to our future schedule,” said Blossom. “This game will be very beneficial to our admissions and recruiting efforts in the Chicago area as well as provide a great opportunity for our many loyal alumni in the region to see their Crusaders compete against a really good FBS opponent.”

We would be lucky to get 100 Holy Cross loyal alumni fans to this game. Compare that to the WIU, ISU and EIU fans that showed up for their game. SF will be long gone before Holy Cross comes to DeKalb.

It's a sad state of affairs when you HAVE to rely on rival fans from around the state to fill up your stadium because bringing in a top team like Utah simply isn't good enough to move the needle.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - pvk75 - 04-25-2020 05:25 PM

(04-25-2020 02:46 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  This is fantastic! What a stroke of scheduling genius! I have always dreamed of playing Holy Cross, and now my dream will come true! And, the game will be played at the Huskie Bowl, which I assume will be our new stadium in 2025! All great news! We get to play Holy Cross as the inaugural game in our new stadium! I am so excited that I may not be able to sleep tonight. This is big time, fellas, and we have made it!!!

P.S. Where is NIU’s and STF’s press release on this huge announcement?

The "Huskie Bowl" is Mission's water dish, surrounded by folding chairs. If they keep this up, that's all the capacity we'll need.

Also, seriously, game is in 2025 ... we couldn't wait a little longer to see maybe we could get a regional FCS team in here? What happened to that strategy?

How about SEMO?

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - MaddDawgz02 - 04-25-2020 05:56 PM

(04-25-2020 04:24 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(04-25-2020 04:19 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  “We’re really excited to add Northern Illinois to our future schedule,” said Blossom. “This game will be very beneficial to our admissions and recruiting efforts in the Chicago area as well as provide a great opportunity for our many loyal alumni in the region to see their Crusaders compete against a really good FBS opponent.”

It's a sad state of affairs when you HAVE to rely on rival fans from around the state to fill up your stadium because bringing in a top team like Utah simply isn't good enough to move the needle.

Utah I strongly believed would have moved the needle had scheduling issue not been neglected for the past 12 to 15 years. When NIU football is as out of sight and mind as it is now with the ESPN contract and poor scheduling, a one and done good game is not going to bring back many fans. You have to have sustainability in better, more fan friendly and attractive scheduling to bring fans back in my opinion. It would be like a place of business treating customers like crap for a decade and then having a really good one day sale. People are not going to come back right away, word has to circulate and a proof of commitment to customer service has to be established over a period of time before people return. That is where we lack in ledership, we do not have a leader willing to commit to that.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - pvk75 - 04-25-2020 06:03 PM

Here I go again ... move the two weekday night games to SeatGeek, a perfect "commuter game" venue (get off work, go to game, eat there... they have decent vendors ... watch game, go home.) Or have we already forgotten those 160,000 alumni? If so, that didn't last long, like a lot of other things in this a.dept. (Or maybe that's what the deal with Taymar Sales U. is about). Then, at THE SAME TIME, develop the game-day experience for the four Saturday games at Huskie Stadium.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - pvk75 - 04-26-2020 03:58 PM

I deleted the "rant line" from my previous post because it was too much b-m-c and not enough reality-based verbage. That said, I would like to hear/read some explanation from STF for scheduling a home game with an FCS from Worcester, Mass.

Basketball, maybe. But football?! Low cost? Complete the o-o-c sked for that year just to get it done? Those questions imply the real reasons, imo ... get it done at minimal cost. Just get a home game with someone, anyone.

I suspect there will be as much interest in attending that game as there was Presbyterian. If STF is trying to get donors to buy in to the need for Huskie Stadium improvements, this is a poor way to do it.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - NIU007 - 04-26-2020 05:12 PM

(04-25-2020 05:56 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(04-25-2020 04:24 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Utah I strongly believed would have moved the needle had scheduling issue not been neglected for the past 12 to 15 years. When NIU football is as out of sight and mind as it is now with the ESPN contract and poor scheduling, a one and done good game is not going to bring back many fans. You have to have sustainability in better, more fan friendly and attractive scheduling to bring fans back in my opinion. It would be like a place of business treating customers like crap for a decade and then having a really good one day sale. People are not going to come back right away, word has to circulate and a proof of commitment to customer service has to be established over a period of time before people return. That is where we lack in ledership, we do not have a leader willing to commit to that.

Even then we had somewhat better attendance for the Utah game, even though they are far enough away to not bring many fans. I agree, one teaser after a decade of mismanagement isn't going to create miracles.

RE: NIU schedules 2025 Opener - NIU007 - 04-26-2020 05:15 PM

Liberty will be next. If Liberty is willing to play a university that's only 20 years old.