CSNbbs
If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? (/thread-898331.html)

Pages: 1 2

If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - ODU1986 - 04-20-2020 11:52 AM

A lot at play with the potential realignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - Longhorn - 04-20-2020 12:03 PM

(04-20-2020 11:52 AM)ODU1986 Wrote:  A lot at play with the potential realignment.

If JMU leaves both W&M and Richmond may look to join the Patriot.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - 2Buck - 04-20-2020 12:28 PM

(04-20-2020 12:03 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(04-20-2020 11:52 AM)ODU1986 Wrote:  A lot at play with the potential realignment.

All sports W&M, football only Richmond.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - NJDuke97 - 04-20-2020 04:59 PM

(04-20-2020 12:28 PM)2Buck Wrote:  

Would have to look at relative travel Caa vs Patriot for W&M but certainly aligns from an an academics standpoint.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - JMaddy - 04-20-2020 05:09 PM

That would make a lot of sense. Towson was also once a Patriot league school and may want back in. Without the VA schools I would think that CoC, UNCW and Elon would go to the Big South or SoCon. That would leave 8 for CAA football. Basketball and Oly sports would be in trouble without some new additions as that would have 5 members left.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - olddawg - 04-20-2020 05:12 PM

Whatever happens, I hope we can continue to play W&M in most sports. I think any association with them is a positive for our university.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - JMaddy - 04-20-2020 05:16 PM

(04-20-2020 04:59 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(04-20-2020 12:28 PM)2Buck Wrote:  

Would have to look at relative travel Caa vs Patriot for W&M but certainly aligns from an an academics standpoint.
Much tighter footprint in the Patriot, plus it has some old rivals (Navy, American, Boston U) that would be easy to reinvigorate.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - KickItToScotty - 04-20-2020 05:28 PM

Would be pretty funny to have a school named for a British king and queen in a conference named the Patriot League.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - jmu007 - 04-20-2020 05:41 PM

Has there been more press on potential movement outside of the DNR article with Bourne? Trying to get a sense as to if there is something to discuss here or if everyone is just over the NCR thread.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - Dukester - 04-21-2020 08:11 AM

(04-20-2020 05:41 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  Has there been more press on potential movement outside of the DNR article with Bourne? Trying to get a sense as to if there is something to discuss here or if everyone is just over the NCR thread.

Not that I've seen.

Y2K all over again for me. 03-lmfao

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - orange-to-purple - 04-21-2020 09:53 AM

And who REALLY says JMU is going anywhere?

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - AssyrianDuke - 04-21-2020 11:20 AM

The timeline for realignment discussions has been moved up. The general thinking was that schools unhappy with the current conference alignment would wait until closer to the end of the media rights negotiation windows to make potential changes. With the economic downturn, that time table has been moved up. Some cooler discussions are turning lukewarm, lukewarm getting warmer, etc. I don't think it'll happen tomorrow or even by the end of the month. But I think we have reached a point where the common sense argument of smaller, more regional leagues with better, long standing rivalries has combined with the pandemic to give ADs and Presidents a way to justify their decision without it coming across as a "loss" of sorts.

But that's just one internet idiots opinion.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - JMad03 - 04-21-2020 01:02 PM

Money talks and money talks even more when losses are on the horizon. The fact is that the virus has sped things up in terms of financial stability. For a lot of schools (ODU for instance) they were not in a great place financially before all of this happened. Now things are that much worse. The timetables have sped up and a lot of schools are going to feel the pain.
The truth is that unless things change and change soon, some schools will start losing more than a program or two.
Travel has been a problem for many of these conferences but they have been able to balance that pain with media deals and bonuses they receive. The financial impact of no basketball tournament (not to mention all of the other spring sports) is probably borderline catastrophic.
I don't think for a second that ODU is the only school that is hurting financially and I'm sure in the next year or two more and more schools will have to get rid of more sports teams.
However, if schools realize they can not only stay afloat but make money in a new conference you better believe they'll do what they can to make it happen.
I do believe conference realignment was going to eventually happen, but this has put everything into overdrive. A lot has changed in just a few months. While a year ago schools would have brushed aside the idea of a new conference, those same schools may be first in line in favor of a change.
Money (and lack therof) is quite the influencing force. I don't think a new conference is gonna pop out of thin air overnight, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think in a year a new conference could be a real possibility.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - HeadsetGuy - 04-22-2020 07:47 AM

Your posters tend to make sense, now I understand why your school isn't in the SCUMBelt

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - 82hawk - 04-26-2020 06:17 AM

I poted this on the UNCW board: (does not account for a JMU move. And I don't see W&M move if JMU leaves)

If I could wave a wand and make any change I wanted, i'd add Campbell and UNCG to make the CAA a NC centric conference with an easy set of travel partners. UNCG, Campbell and Elon are all really close to the Virginia border to boot. Could also play the CAA tournament at the Greensboro coliseum

Campbell has a pretty big following and is really close to Raleigh. They are a rising star in NC and already have almost 7,000 students. They also have a football team.

UNC Greensboro is in the largest city on the East Coast that doesn't have a college affiliated with a top tier conference. They have about 17,000 students.

This would set up a really nice two division conference

CofC, UNCW, UNCG, Campbell, Elon, W&M(longest drive would be Charleston to Williamsburg at 7 hours. All other drives under 4:30.)

Towson, NU, Hofstra, Delaware, JMU, Drexel (Boston to Harrisonburg longest drive 9 hours, all others under 6:30)

Face it, there are only two Virginia schools left. North Carolina is the best place to make the heart of the conference and the best place to add schools. This set up would make a really good travel schedule for everyone in the conference.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - JMURocks - 04-26-2020 06:27 AM

(04-26-2020 06:17 AM)82hawk Wrote:  I poted this on the This would set up a really nice two division conference

CofC, UNCW, UNCG, Campbell, Elon, W&M(longest drive would be Charleston to Williamsburg at 7 hours. All other drives under 4:30.)

Towson, NU, Hofstra, Delaware, JMU, Drexel (Boston to Harrisonburg longest drive 9 hours, all others under 6:30)

Face it, there are only two Virginia schools left. North Carolina is the best place to make the heart of the conference and the best place to add schools. This set up would make a really good travel schedule for everyone in the conference.

Those additions, especially Campbell are very unappealing. This reinforces to me that JMU no longer belongs in the CAA.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - Bawlmer Duke - 04-26-2020 06:47 AM

(04-26-2020 06:27 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(04-26-2020 06:17 AM)82hawk Wrote:  I poted this on the This would set up a really nice two division conference

Those additions, especially Campbell are very unappealing. This reinforces to me that JMU no longer belongs in the CAA.

Agreed. Hard pass. Plus 6 of those teams don't even have football.

Also, I do no think it would make sense to break up JMU from W&M if it were a two division conference.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - 82hawk - 04-26-2020 07:29 AM

(04-26-2020 06:27 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  

I don't disagree. It's obvious JMU is primed to go DI football. Hate to break it to everyone, but the shutdown we are in is devastating college athletics economics. It will take possibly a decade to recover, and that's IF everyone opens up this fall. The last thing any conference wants to do right now is bring another mouth to the table. And the cost to leave is an additional burden. If schools don't bring students on campus this fall, there goes a semester of student fees and JMU is heavily reliant on those fees.

Not to mention, even if games are played there is no way on earth everyone is going to return to full capacity stadiums. People will still be wary and may just skip going to games or buying season tickets until next year. This will heavily impact both basketball and football.

If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - ODU1986 - 04-26-2020 07:48 AM

If JMU leaves, I’d bet Hampton University will get serious consideration.

Good academics, convenient travel partner with W & M, FCS football program, adequate facilities, solidifies Tidewater market.

RE: If JMU leaves, how does W & M respond ? How does CAA respond ? - Florida tribe fan - 04-26-2020 08:30 AM

(04-26-2020 06:17 AM)82hawk Wrote:  I poted this on the UNCW board: (does not account for a JMU move. And I don't see W&M move if JMU leaves)

If I could wave a wand and make any change I wanted, i'd add Campbell and UNCG to make the CAA a NC centric conference with an easy set of travel partners. UNCG, Campbell and Elon are all really close to the Virginia border to boot. Could also play the CAA tournament at the Greensboro coliseum

Campbell has a pretty big following and is really close to Raleigh. They are a rising star in NC and already have almost 7,000 students. They also have a football team.

UNC Greensboro is in the largest city on the East Coast that doesn't have a college affiliated with a top tier conference. They have about 17,000 students.

This would set up a really nice two division conference

UNCG leadership might be guilty of malpractice to leave SOCON for CAA at this juncture.