CSNbbs
2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting (/thread-897621.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 05-26-2020 09:24 PM

(05-26-2020 09:22 PM)holybovine Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 09:12 PM)Big Red Wrote:  MAC Transfer Update:

Drew Lowder - Transferring to Eastern Michigan from Holy Cross - Freshmen - 6'0"- PG - 3* from Pioneer HS (Ann Arbor, MI) - Played 1 season at Holy Cross and as a freshman, Lowder started 6 of 12 games averaging 26.3 minutes and 14.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg, and 3.3 apg shooting 43.6% from the field (42% 3PT) and 71.4% FT. As a freshman, Lowder will have to sit out this upcoming season. Coming out of high school, Lowder had received other offers from NIU, Ferris State, Central Michigan, Toledo, and Eastern Michigan.

Lowder appears to be a pretty good player and EMU will have him for his junior and senior seasons.

I’m not expecting him to sit out. He’ll argue that COVID caused him to move home.07-coffee3

We get him for 3 years...

Is that going to be a legitimate reason for a waiver?

And, tbh, I don't doubt you at all.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - holybovine - 05-26-2020 10:04 PM

(05-26-2020 09:24 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 09:22 PM)holybovine Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 09:12 PM)Big Red Wrote:  MAC Transfer Update:

Drew Lowder - Transferring to Eastern Michigan from Holy Cross - Freshmen - 6'0"- PG - 3* from Pioneer HS (Ann Arbor, MI) - Played 1 season at Holy Cross and as a freshman, Lowder started 6 of 12 games averaging 26.3 minutes and 14.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg, and 3.3 apg shooting 43.6% from the field (42% 3PT) and 71.4% FT. As a freshman, Lowder will have to sit out this upcoming season. Coming out of high school, Lowder had received other offers from NIU, Ferris State, Central Michigan, Toledo, and Eastern Michigan.

Lowder appears to be a pretty good player and EMU will have him for his junior and senior seasons.

I’m not expecting him to sit out. He’ll argue that COVID caused him to move home.07-coffee3

We get him for 3 years...

Is that going to be a legitimate reason for a waiver?

And, tbh, I don't doubt you at all.

Frankly I don’t know if it’s a legitimate reason. But I think a LOT of guys are going to try to use it. And the NCAA isn’t going to look great politically if they say “no”.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 06-08-2020 02:32 PM

NIU recruiting update:

Technically, no "news" but 2021 recruit/offer, Scottie Ebubie, as received an offer from Toledo to join the offers he has from NIU, SIU, and Miami.

Apparently this kid is making some noise in the MAC.

Anyway...here's his (short) write-up I did on him a while ago:

Scottie Ebube - 6'8" - PF - 2* from Mundelein HS (Mundelein, IL) - I'll do some video research on him tomorrow or the next day however, I'd like to note that NIU has had an offer in on this guy for some time now so that may be a good indication that Montgomery has a good relationship with him and/or his head coach. Ebube has received additional offers from SIU, Miami and Toledo.

(I can't remember anymore if I've ever done that "video research" tbh. I think I ran into a little issue with finding relevant video on a high school junior. I'd expect more this upcoming season. I'm not sure if there will be any summer basketball leagues as much of the video comes from those appearances.)

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 06-18-2020 06:18 AM

MAC Transfer Update:

Shamar Dillard - Transferring from Eastern Michigan - Undecided on Transfer - Freshman - 6'6" - SG - 2* from SPIRE Institute (Geneva, OH) born in South Bend, IN - Dillard played his freshman season at EMU playing in 28 games (2 starts) averaging 10.0 minutes and 3.3 ppg and 1.3 rpg shooting 32.9% from the field (23.3% 3PT) and 70.8% FT. As a HS senior, Dillard received offers from EMU, Ball State, Rutgers, and Western Illinois.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 06-20-2020 09:20 PM

MAC Transfer Update:

Nike Sibande - Transferring from Miami to Pittsburgh - Junior - 6'4" - SG - 2* recruit from Crispus Attucks HS (Indianapolis, IN) - Sibande is a three year started at Miami and will now have to sit out a season as he is not a grad transfer. Statistically, Sibande had his worst season (slightly....he's been pretty consistent) for the Redhawks this past season starting 30 games (of 31) and averaging 28.7 minutes and 13.9 ppg shooting 49.4% from the field (32% 3PT) and 82% FT. Sibande also averaged 5.9 rpg and 1.7 apg.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - StevenNIU - 06-21-2020 10:22 AM

(06-20-2020 09:20 PM)Big Red Wrote:  MAC Transfer Update:

Nike Sibande - Transferring from Miami to Pittsburgh - Junior - 6'4" - SG - 2* recruit from Crispus Attucks HS (Indianapolis, IN) - Sibande is a three year started at Miami and will now have to sit out a season as he is not a grad transfer. Statistically, Sibande had his worst season (slightly....he's been pretty consistent) for the Redhawks this past season starting 30 games (of 31) and averaging 28.7 minutes and 13.9 ppg shooting 49.4% from the field (32% 3PT) and 82% FT. Sibande also averaged 5.9 rpg and 1.7 apg.

That certainly hurts Miami. Leading scorer and rebounder last season.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - HawaiiToNIU - 06-21-2020 12:49 PM

(06-08-2020 02:32 PM)Big Red Wrote:  NIU recruiting update:

Technically, no "news" but 2021 recruit/offer, Scottie Ebubie, as received an offer from Toledo to join the offers he has from NIU, SIU, and Miami.

Scottie Ebube - 6'8" - PF - 2* from Mundelein HS (Mundelein, IL) - I'll do some video research on him tomorrow or the next day however, I'd like to note that NIU has had an offer in on this guy for some time now so that may be a good indication that Montgomery has a good relationship with him and/or his head coach. Ebube has received additional offers from SIU, Miami and Toledo.

(I can't remember anymore if I've ever done that "video research" tbh. I think I ran into a little issue with finding relevant video on a high school junior. I'd expect more this upcoming season. I'm not sure if there will be any summer basketball leagues as much of the video comes from those appearances.)

This is his 8th grade tape lol. He looks pretty good.

https://youtu.be/kAQOuOi8eIQ

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - MaddDawgz02 - 06-21-2020 03:24 PM

MAC probably enjoyed its best year last year for the foreseeable future. I think it could slide from 10th best conference in the country to the upper teens (if there is a season which I doubt).

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - pono - 06-22-2020 12:55 AM

(06-21-2020 03:24 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  MAC probably enjoyed its best year last year for the foreseeable future. I think it could slide from 10th best conference in the country to the upper teens (if there is a season which I doubt).

MAC was stronger in 2018-19 than last year. Next year, league should be pretty solid. Most of the stronger programs filled up on transfers in recruiting so they will have fairly experienced rosters. Ball St, Toledo, Ohio, Kent, Akron, BG, Buffalo are potential top 100 programs. WMU and NIU did fairly well in recruiting, so, even with the losses they might be competitive. CMU finds a way to be decent. EMU is always a mystery and Miami doesn't look that good, but, overall league should be similar to 2019-20 in strength.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 06-22-2020 09:26 AM

(06-21-2020 12:49 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(06-08-2020 02:32 PM)Big Red Wrote:  NIU recruiting update:

This is his 8th grade tape lol. He looks pretty good.

https://youtu.be/kAQOuOi8eIQ

That's a good video but I think more can be scouted in this one.

You can really see his potential here.

https://youtu.be/xM61D1E1dfM

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 06-23-2020 10:05 AM

MAC Transfer Update:

Damari Parris - Transferring from Eastern Michigan to Prairie View A&M - Grad Transfer - 6’1” - PG - 2* from Evelyn Mack Academy (Charlotte, NC) - Started his career at Western Kentucky playing 24 games (0 starts) and averaging 10.8 minutes and 3 ppg. Transferred to Trinity Valley CC (Athens, TX) for one year and then transferred to EMU where he played 20 games (11 starts) averaging 14.6 minutes and 3.7 ppg. This offseason, in addition to PVAE, Parris received an offer from Alcorn State.

Shamar Dillard - Transferring from Eastern Michigan to Tallahassee CC (it appears TCC is reloading) - Freshman - 6'6" - SG - 2* from SPIRE Institute (Geneva, OH) born in South Bend, IN - Dillard played his freshman season at EMU playing in 28 games (2 starts) averaging 10.0 minutes and 3.3 ppg and 1.3 rpg shooting 32.9% from the field (23.3% 3PT) and 70.8% FT. As a HS senior, Dillard received offers from EMU, Ball State, Rutgers, and Western Illinois.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 06-24-2020 03:33 PM

MAC transfer update:

Michael Wynn - Transferring to Akron from Wake Forest - Sophomore - 6'6" - SF - 28 recruit from Liberty Heights Athletic Institute (Charlotte, NC) born in Albany, NY - Wynn has spent 2 seasons at Wake Forest as a reserve player. As a sophomore, Wynn played in 14 games (down from 27 as a freshman) averaging 4.2 minutes and 1.3 ppg shooting 53.8% from the field (25% 3PT - 1 of 4) and 37.5% FT (3 of 8). Coming out of HS, Wynn received offers from Wake Forest, South Florida, Wichita State, Ole Miss, East Carolina, Drexel, Coastal Carolina, Charleston, Pacific, Charlotte, Massachusetts, Southern Miss, Southern Utah, Southeastern Louisiana, Florida Atlantic, Siena, and James Madison. Some of the offers date back to 2015 (Siena). Clearly he was well regarded coming out of HS, even as a 2* recruit but obviously something happened and didn't click along the way while at Wake Forest. It appears he just got lost in the shuffle and couldn't get his head above the pack with 7 scholarship players on roster at the guard position (he played guard at WF). It should be noted that he was recruited to play at WF by Danny Manning who was relieved of his duties a few months ago and was considered by many fans to be a poor recruiter who has had an issue with graduation rates. Either way, Wynn will have to sit out a season at Akron before taking the floor in 2021.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 06-26-2020 09:43 AM

MAC Transfer Update:

Marcus Gibbs - Undecided on Transfer from Eastern Michigan- Freshman - 6'0" - PG - 2* from SPIRE Institute (Geneva, OH) born in Detroit, MI - This is the 2nd freshman recruit from SPIRE Institute to announce his transfer from EMU this offseason. I wonder if Gibbs will follow in teammate Dillard's shoes and move on to TCC? As for Gibbs, he only played in 3 games for EMU this season. With that said, "transferring" is not something new for Gibbs as he transferred at least twice while in high school. Although, I'm not sure going to SPIRE is actually a transfer as it's a prep school. Nevertheless, Gibbs transferred his senior season from Cass Tech to King HS and even had to sue (his father brought the case) the MHSAA (Michigan High School Athletic Association) because they had determined Gibbs had to sit a semester due to the transfer. Gibbs' case argued he should be allowed to play immediately under the protections of the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Program although the lawsuit (according to the article I found and at the time of its writing) does not state who is homeless (assuming the debate was whether it was Gibbs himself or his father or possibly mother or both....or all). Needless to say, with a guy who only played 3 games, there's not much to talk about until I found this lawsuit, which I found kind of interesting (although I cannot find a resolution). I did find that while at King, Gibbs averaged 20 ppg, 4 apg, and 4 rpg but I don't know how many games he played. And at SPIRE, Gibbs averaged 20 ppg, 5 apg, and 5 rpg. Honestly, those all sound like really round numbers and I suspect a big of rounding or something. EMU was the only school to offer Gibbs a scholarship out of high school.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - StevenNIU - 06-26-2020 06:45 PM

(06-26-2020 09:43 AM)Big Red Wrote:  MAC Transfer Update:

Marcus Gibbs - Undecided on Transfer from Eastern Michigan- Freshman - 6'0" - PG - 2* from SPIRE Institute (Geneva, OH) born in Detroit, MI - This is the 2nd freshman recruit from SPIRE Institute to announce his transfer from EMU this offseason. I wonder if Gibbs will follow in teammate Dillard's shoes and move on to TCC? As for Gibbs, he only played in 3 games for EMU this season. With that said, "transferring" is not something new for Gibbs as he transferred at least twice while in high school. Although, I'm not sure going to SPIRE is actually a transfer as it's a prep school. Nevertheless, Gibbs transferred his senior season from Cass Tech to King HS and even had to sue (his father brought the case) the MHSAA (Michigan High School Athletic Association) because they had determined Gibbs had to sit a semester due to the transfer. Gibbs' case argued he should be allowed to play immediately under the protections of the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Program although the lawsuit (according to the article I found and at the time of its writing) does not state who is homeless (assuming the debate was whether it was Gibbs himself or his father or possibly mother or both....or all). Needless to say, with a guy who only played 3 games, there's not much to talk about until I found this lawsuit, which I found kind of interesting (although I cannot find a resolution). I did find that while at King, Gibbs averaged 20 ppg, 4 apg, and 4 rpg but I don't know how many games he played. And at SPIRE, Gibbs averaged 20 ppg, 5 apg, and 5 rpg. Honestly, those all sound like really round numbers and I suspect a big of rounding or something. EMU was the only school to offer Gibbs a scholarship out of high school.

Is anyone left at EMU?

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 06-26-2020 07:05 PM

(06-26-2020 06:45 PM)StevenNIU Wrote:  

Is anyone left at EMU?

They had a lot last year too, iirc.

They did add 3 transfers this year. Just seems like with them they have a new roster every year lately.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - StevenNIU - 06-26-2020 08:23 PM

(06-26-2020 07:05 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Is anyone left at EMU?

They did add 3 transfers this year. Just seems like with them they have a new roster every year lately.

That would make it a lot harder for a coach to build team chemistry.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 06-26-2020 10:22 PM

(06-26-2020 08:23 PM)StevenNIU Wrote:  
(06-26-2020 07:05 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Is anyone left at EMU?

That would make it a lot harder for a coach to build team chemistry.

Honestly, it reminds me a lot of Monty's first 2 or 3 seasons. Granted, Monty was brand new and inherited a roster that would have been challenged to compete at the JUCO level and yet, Rob Murphy is heading into his 10 season at the helm.

In my opinion, Murphy had some potential and momentum for the first 5 or 6 years but his opportunity to have EMU be a yearly candidate to compete for conference titles has passed.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 06-27-2020 06:34 PM

Tallahassee Community College...

It should come to no surprise how much of a fascination I have with this JUCO and their ability to rake in D1 transfers from all over the country. So, I decided to take a look at who they've brought in this season.

Cameron "Cam" Brooks-Harris - RS Freshman from Marshall - 6'6" - SF - 2* recruit from Zanesville HS (Zanesville, OH) - Played 19 games last year for the Herd and averaged 4.1 ppg. Had additional offers out of HS from Northern Kentucky, Akron, Stony Brook, Cleveland State, and Kent State.

Shamar Dillard - Freshman from Eastern Michigan - 6'6" - SG - 2* recruit from SPIRE Institute born in South Bend, IN - Played in 28 games (2 starts) for the Eagles averaging 3.3 ppg. Had additional offers out of HS from Western Illinois, Rutgers, and Ball State.

James Ellis - RS Freshman from Duquesne - 6'11" - C - 2* recruit from Westinghouse HS (Pittsburgh, PA) - Played 5 games for the Dukes averaging 0.8 ppg. Had no additional offers coming out of HS.

LaDarius Knight - RS Freshman from Campbell - 6'5" - SG - 28 recruit from Ashford HS (Ashford, AL) - Played in 26 games for the Camels averaging 4.2 ppg. Had additional offers out of HS from Troy and Eastern Washington.

Asanti Prince - Freshman from Georgia Tech - 6'5" - SG - 2* recruit from W.J. Keenan HS (Columbia, SC) - Played in 15 games for the Yellow Jackets averaging 2.7 ppg. Had additional offers out of HS from Charleston Southern, Charlotte, New Orleans, Mount St. Mary's, Kansas State, Hofstra, and East Carolina. Also received offers this offseason to transfer to Coastal Carolina, Nicholls State, and South Carolina State but apparently he's got his eyes set on getting back to a P5 school after next season.

Shawn Walker, Jr. - Freshman from George Washington - 6'6" - SG - 2* recruit from Catholic HS (Elizabeth City, NC) - Played in 21 games (5 starts) for the Colonials averaging 3.4 ppg. Had additional offers out of HS from Siena, High Point, South Carolina State, Hampton, Central Connecticut State, Hofstra, Lafayette, Florida Atlantic, Gardner-Webb, Norfolk State, Buffalo, and Merrimack.

Amir Gholizadeh - Freshman from Chicago State - 6'6" - SF - 2* recruit from Toronto Basketball Academy (Toronto, CA) - as a freshman at Chicago State, Gholizadeh played 29 games (11 starts) averaging 22.7 minutes and 6.8 ppg/2.7 rpg shooting 39.4% from the field (31.4% 3PT - 33-105) and 70.5% FT (31-44). This is probably quite the loss for the Cougars. I mean, they're terrible and I'm assuming that's why he left, but you'd have to figure with numbers like that, he'd be in prime position to be a full time starter as a sophomore. Interestingly, he received an offer from Howard to transfer but.....he chose Tallahassee CC. He's probably got his sights set higher than Howard but, how much higher is realistic? Probably not much. Coming out of HS, Gholizadeh received additional offers from High Point and Canisius. He probably picked Chicago State because it was the only one he could locate on a map.

So, there you have it. TCC has added 6 D1 transfers for the 2020-21 basketball season. I'd have to go back and check, but I'm about 99.9999% certain they brought in 6 D1 transfers last year too, but I don't think any of them were from P5 schools.

Could you imagine being a true freshman on this team?

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - StevenNIU - 06-27-2020 09:27 PM

(06-27-2020 06:34 PM)Big Red Wrote:  Tallahassee Community College...

It should come to no surprise how much of a fascination I have with this JUCO and their ability to rake in D1 transfers from all over the country. So, I decided to take a look at who they've brought in this season.

Cameron "Cam" Brooks-Harris - RS Freshman from Marshall - 6'6" - SF - 2* recruit from Zanesville HS (Zanesville, OH) - Played 19 games last year for the Herd and averaged 4.1 ppg. Had additional offers out of HS from Northern Kentucky, Akron, Stony Brook, Cleveland State, and Kent State.

Shamar Dillard - Freshman from Eastern Michigan - 6'6" - SG - 2* recruit from SPIRE Institute born in South Bend, IN - Played in 28 games (2 starts) for the Eagles averaging 3.3 ppg. Had additional offers out of HS from Western Illinois, Rutgers, and Ball State.

James Ellis - RS Freshman from Duquesne - 6'11" - C - 2* recruit from Westinghouse HS (Pittsburgh, PA) - Played 5 games for the Dukes averaging 0.8 ppg. Had no additional offers coming out of HS.

LaDarius Knight - RS Freshman from Campbell - 6'5" - SG - 28 recruit from Ashford HS (Ashford, AL) - Played in 26 games for the Camels averaging 4.2 ppg. Had additional offers out of HS from Troy and Eastern Washington.

Asanti Prince - Freshman from Georgia Tech - 6'5" - SG - 2* recruit from W.J. Keenan HS (Columbia, SC) - Played in 15 games for the Yellow Jackets averaging 2.7 ppg. Had additional offers out of HS from Charleston Southern, Charlotte, New Orleans, Mount St. Mary's, Kansas State, Hofstra, and East Carolina. Also received offers this offseason to transfer to Coastal Carolina, Nicholls State, and South Carolina State but apparently he's got his eyes set on getting back to a P5 school after next season.

Shawn Walker, Jr. - Freshman from George Washington - 6'6" - SG - 2* recruit from Catholic HS (Elizabeth City, NC) - Played in 21 games (5 starts) for the Colonials averaging 3.4 ppg. Had additional offers out of HS from Siena, High Point, South Carolina State, Hampton, Central Connecticut State, Hofstra, Lafayette, Florida Atlantic, Gardner-Webb, Norfolk State, Buffalo, and Merrimack.

So, there you have it. TCC has added 6 D1 transfers for the 2020-21 basketball season. I'd have to go back and check, but I'm about 99.9999% certain they brought in 6 D1 transfers last year too, but I don't think any of them were from P5 schools.

Especially if you are a shooting guard.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 06-28-2020 12:07 PM

(06-27-2020 09:27 PM)StevenNIU Wrote:  
(06-27-2020 06:34 PM)Big Red Wrote:  Tallahassee Community College...

Especially if you are a shooting guard.

My hunch is that, with a team like TCC, position matters very little. I mean, how many JUCO programs can walk out 6 guys who are D1 talent (or close enough) and are all 6'5" or taller (and I have no clue as to what is also on the 2020-21 rosters to add to that)?

That 6'11" dude is sure a benefit and I'm sure he gains some leeway because of his size, but just from scouting his stats, he might be the worst one of that transfer group and if he can't run and keep up with those guys, they'll put him on the bench because they have enough talent on the roster to make up for not having him out there. Granted, his presence on the defensive end just enhances everything else so, like I said, he'd probably have a pretty long leash if he's not all that great.

With that said, and knowing I was going to say something about him, I watched some HS video of him (obviously, there isn't much to find from 5 games in college) and he's long, lean and athletic (maybe a little too lean, tbh). Granted, most of the time (in the videos I saw), he's playing against guys that are all 5 inches shorter than he is and that changes at the next level. But he does look athletic (but that doesn't necessarily mean he's in shape...but I can't believe he wasn't while at Duquesne...then again, 5 games tells me he was probably injured most of the season....so, possibly not).