CSNbbs
2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting (/thread-897621.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-19-2020 02:34 PM

Another update (albeit a minor one), TJ Smith has announced his transfer location as Barry University, which is a D-II school in Florida. Here's the blurb...:

T.J. Smith - Transferring to Barry University (Miami Shores, FL - D-II) from Toledo - RS Freshman - 6’8” - PF - 2* from ASPIRE Academy (Louisville) - Previously attended DeSales HS (Louisville, KY) born in Matteson, IL - Played 31 games as a freshman averaging 7.9 minutes and 1.3 ppg.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-20-2020 07:20 PM

MAC transfer update:

Anthony Roberts of Kent State has announced his transfer to St. Bonaventure:

Anthony Roberts - Transferring from Kent State to St. Bonaventure - Sophomore - 6’4” - SH - 2* from Henry Ford HS (Detroit) - Played 31 games as a freshman (3 starts) averaging 17.6 minutes and 5.9 ppg. Then played 30 games (19 starts) as a sophomore averaging 29 minutes and 12.7 ppg/2.9 rpg/2.4 apg shooting 49.7% from the field (36.3% 3PT) and 76.5% FT. Roberts had also received an offer from Arizona State.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-21-2020 11:29 AM

MAC transfer update:

Nate Springs decides:

Nate Springs - Transferring from Ohio to Kennesaw State - RS Freshman - 6'10" - C - 2* recruit from United Faith Christian Academy (Charlotte, NC) - Played 1 season for the Bobcats playing in 21 games (0 starts) averaging 8.5 minutes and 3 ppg/1.3 rpg shooting 87.5% from the field (40% 3PT...16 of 40) and 100% FT (2 of 2). This guy doesn't seem terrible. No word on why he's transferring. Look like he may have decided to get closer to home. KSU appears to be his only offer.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-21-2020 02:34 PM

NIU recruiting update (I wasn't clear when I wrote this, they made an offer to McCray, he has not committed anywhere yet):

Christian McCray - Sophomore - 6'7" - SF - West Los Angeles College (Culver City, CA) - 2* recruit from Oak Hill Academy (Wilson, VA)/I'm not sure where he attended HS before Oak Hill but he's from Plantation, FL (I think he went to Everglades HS but I'm not 100% certain) - As a sophomore at WLAC, McCray started 28 of 30 games averaging 24.7 minutes and 18 ppg/6.8 rpg shooting 53.3% from the field (39.6% 3PT - 55 of 139) and 86% FT. West LA was pretty good last year going 21-9 and averaging 88.6 ppg. McCray led all scorers with his 18 ppg. McCray looks to be an accomplished scorer and has decent size. He's got long arms and legs and is built more like an athlete than someone who is built much thinner (somewhere between Jaylen Key and Levi Bradley). McCray has a lot of interest in his services presently with offers from: NIU, Georgia Southern, Southern, CSU Northridge, CSU Fullerton, Coppin State, North Carolina A&T, Chicago State, and Kentucky State. He's basically got his pick of region except maybe the northeast. If he wants to stay in California, he has a couple of decent opportunities. If he wants to get closer to home, Georgia State is a fantastic program. So, Montgomery has some work ahead of him but any add this late typically means there very well could be a chance.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - klake87 - 04-21-2020 03:30 PM

We need to hire Jim Les. He is coach for UC -Davis. He played and coached at Breadley and in NBA. He also went to Notre Dame in Niles. They have 3 of the top 20 juniors in state. His Brother used to be head coach of ND too. This could help recruiting

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-21-2020 09:51 PM

A MAC transfer update:

Jaden Sayles decided:

Jaden Sayles - Transferring from Akron to Stony Brook - Senior - 6’9” - PF - 2* from Sycamore HS (Cincinnati) - played 26 games (0 starts) as a junior averaging 5.4 minutes and 2.2 ppg.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-22-2020 09:13 AM

NIU recruiting update:

Sam'i Roe - COMMITTED TO OMAHA - JUCO Sophomore - 6'2" PG - Independence CC (Independence, KS) - 2* recruit from Isaiah Christopher Academy (Atlantic City, NJ) - Started 25 of 31 games at ICC averaging 28.5 minutes and 14.7 ppg/4.8 rpg/2.3 apg shooting 55.5% from the field (26.4% 3PT) and 85.2% FT. ICC had a pretty decent year going 23-9 and averaging 90.8 ppg. Roe was the 2nd leading scored (by scoring average), 2nd to Demetric Horton who is going to Purdue Ft. Wayne. So, something interesting I found while looking at the ICC roster. Marlo Brown. Yup. Same guy who "played" a year at NIU before transferring to ICC. As a sophomore, Brown was not all that good. Started 18 of 29 games and averaged 5.1 ppg shooting 43.1% from the field (35.7% 3PT) and 63.2% from the line. Eh...tidbits. Overall, Roe is kind of interesting but he's another guard on a team with a lot of guards and I don't see anything he does that I think would stand out in the group. Clearly, Montgomery is looking for another guard because he keeps making offers to guards. But, from what I can tell, Monty has 3 more slots and he can realistically add to two forwards and another guard. Honestly, if it came down to either of the JUCO guards (Roe/T.Jones) vs the high school guards (Sheffers/J.Jones), I'd take a JUCO and preferably Roe. Tavon Jones may have more "potential" but Roe's probably the safer bet and at least he can shoot from behind the arc. It appears NIU was the only other school to make an offer to Roe.

My 2 cents is this is a slight blow but not one that is overly problematic. I say this because NIU has a lot of depth at the guard position and I don't think Roe changes the position any. He's kind of more of what they already have. That's not a bad thing but not necessarily a benefit either. Now, why I am slightly down about this is because of what else is out there that has been offered. Tavon Jones is similar and was of a higher regard than Roe coming out of high school but Jones has underperformed expectations in JUCO.

Now, with all that said, ultimately, I'd just prefer they signed Christian McCray and Adong Makoui but...as they say....easier said than done. Especially with McCray. Nevertheless, I feel they're set at guard and would be better off strengthening the bigs. Granted, something could pop up tomorrow in the form of a new offer for a shooting guard and change my mind on everything. But as things stand right now, the loss of Roe isn't a big deal because all along, I'd prefer McCray and Makoui.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-22-2020 06:13 PM

MAC transfer update:

Donavan Moore - Transferring from Toledo to Green Bay - Freshman - 6’3” - SG - 2* from West Bloomfield HS (MI) born in Hillsboro, IL - Played 8 games as a freshman averaging 3.4 minutes and 1.4 ppg.

I always have to give it a chin scratch when guys make a transfer that is lateral (roughly) and have no real connection to the area. I did a little googling and it was basically no help. I did find an article on toledoblade.com and the comments section was funny. It was like reading this place. Uh oh...4 transfers...the coach is on the hot seat. This is a recurring problem with the basketball program...must be an underlying issue. With all the talent that comes out of Toledo, why doesn't any of it make it's way to UT?

I'd almost bet you're going to find similar comments by fans of most mid-major programs around the country.

Anyway, a freshman who didn't play much transferred from Toledo to Green Bay. I'm not sure what to make of it or what it means. Clearly both Toledo and Green Bay saw value in this kid within the past 12 months and a bunch of schools recruited him out of high school (Bradley, North Dakota, Tennessee State, UIC, Detroit Mercy (because...of course they did), Oakland, IUPUI, Miami, and Central Michigan. Most of those programs are decent mid-major programs so, again, I'm at a loss for how a guy who was that pursued as a high school senior makes his way from one D-1 program to another in the span of 1 year. Someone messed up. Either Kowalczky or Moore. Either way, with the addition of Milner and incoming freshman, Ra'Heim Moss, (and having Littleson for 2 more years) Toledo is probably fine at the position.

It's still a chin scratcher.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-23-2020 07:14 AM

NIU recruiting update:

Jeremiah Williams - COMMITTED TO TEMPLE - 6'5" - SF - Simeon Career Academy (Chicago) - I'll do some video research on him tomorrow or the next day (I never got around to the research and I'm now fine with forgetting about it...). Williams has received additional offers from Georgia State, Mount St. Mary's, Temple, St. Bonaventure, UIC, Western Michigan, SIU, Northern Iowa, Akron, Valparaiso, Milwaukee, and Detroit Mercy. NIU has its work cut out for it and the coaching staff to land Williams as he's got some pretty high profile programs plus one right in his backyard if he prefers to stay near home.

NIU always had its work cut out for it in regards to the amount of offers Williams was receiving. As a junior at St. Laurence, Williams averaged 18.3 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 3.5 apg, and 2.5 bpg for a team that won 20 games and a regional title. I'm just having trouble finding stats on his senior season other than he scored 21 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in the the City Championship game. Apparently, back in February, he stated in an interview that he was leaning really heavy at going to SIU. Something obviously changed.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-23-2020 07:24 AM

Another NIU recruiting update:

Ja'Moni Jones - COMMITTED TO SCHOOLCRAFT COLLEGE (Livonia, MI) - 5'11" - PG - 2* from East Kentwood HS (Kentwood, MI) - I'll do some video research on him tomorrow or the next day however, I still am hoping his first name is pronounced "Jay-Money". Actually, I don't care how it's pronounced...that's how I'm gonna say it. Jones has received no other offers.

Jones is electing to go the JUCO route. Interestingly, back in February, Jones received and invitation to go to Oakland and participate in Stephen Curry's basketball camp scheduled to take place in early April. I'm sure that never happened as the entire world shut down soon after it was announced.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-23-2020 07:36 AM

At this point, NIU has 2 spots to fill with 4 outstanding offers on the table.

Tavon Jones - JUCO Sophomore - 6'3" - SG - 3* from Linden HS (Linden, NJ) - has started his collegiate career at Odessa (Odessa, TX) and as a sophomore he started 5 of 35 games averaging 13.8 minutes and 6.5 ppg shooting 47.8% from the field (30% 3PT) and 63.9% FT. I believe, even though he graduated from HS two years ago, he has only played 1 season at Odessa so he may be an incoming sophomore if he signs. In regards to Odessa College, there's literally nothing special about them. They went 14-16 last season and lost their last 5 games. So, if one were to try to look at his pedestrian numbers and draw some conclusion about him being a first year played being buried behind a loaded roster, it doesn't appear he was. Now, he was a 3* recruit coming out of HS so apparently there was something there. He very well could have been injured his first year, which is why he didn't play. Coming out of high school he had a ton of offers that he passed on for one reason or another (Eastern Kentucky, Massachusetts, Quinnipiac, Niagra, Hofstra, Buffalo, Stoney Brook, Seton Hall, St. Peter's, and Saint Joseph's). As of right now, NIU is the only school to make an offer on him as a transfer. After a little digging, it seems people (message board types) were pretty aware that he couldn't qualify academically and would be going to either a prep school or JUCO. One commenter even stated that he expected to see Jones in a few years in a major or mid-major program in a couple of years with a 3 point shot added to his game. Judging from his stats this past year, that didn't happen and it appears he couldn't shoot the 3 in high school either. Doesn't look like he can shoot free throws either. If I were a guessing man, I'd guess this guy goes to the basket. Eugene German but can't shoot. In my opinion, going off of what I've learned about him in a very short information search, adding Jones for next year would be a waste of a roster spot/scholarship. If you're going to take a shot on a guy with bad grades, at least get one that can score.

Adong Makoui - Sophomore - 6'9" - PF - 2* from The RISE Centre Academy (Brantford, ON, his hometown is Edmonton, AB) - Makoui started his career at Daytona State College where he started 30 of 30 games averaging 6.6 ppg/5.4 rpg while shooting 69.8% from the field and 75% FT. He also blocked 46 shots which is about 1.5 per game.

Makoui has other offers from SIU, Portland State, Murray State, Kent State, and Buffalo.

Christian McCray - Sophomore - 6'7" - SF - West Los Angeles College (Culver City, CA) - 2* recruit from Oak Hill Academy (Wilson, VA)/I'm not sure where he attended HS before Oak Hill but he's from Plantation, FL (I think he went to Everglades HS but I'm not 100% certain) - As a sophomore at WLAC, McCray started 28 of 30 games averaging 24.7 minutes and 18 ppg/6.8 rpg shooting 53.3% from the field (39.6% 3PT - 55 of 139) and 86% FT. West LA was pretty good last year going 21-9 and averaging 88.6 ppg. McCray led all scorers with his 18 ppg. McCray looks to be an accomplished scorer and has decent size. He's got long arms and legs and is built more like an athlete than someone who is built much thinner (somewhere between Jaylen Key and Levi Bradley). McCray has a lot of interest in his services presently with offers from: NIU, Georgia Southern, Southern, CSU Northridge, CSU Fullerton, Coppin State, North Carolina A&T, Chicago State, and Kentucky State. He's basically got his pick of region except maybe the northeast. If he wants to stay in California, he has a couple of decent opportunities. If he wants to get closer to home, Georgia State is a fantastic program. So, Montgomery has some work ahead of him but any add this late typically means there very well could be a chance.

Luke Scheffers - 6'1 - PG - 2* from St. Charles North HS (St. Charles, IL) - I'll do some video research on him tomorrow or the next day (maybe some day I'll get to that extra research...but the best I can tell about him is he's a scrappy little point guard who doesn't score much and plays good defense.). Scheffers has received other offers from Grand Valley State, Nova Southeastern, and Lewis University.

If I were able to just pick two of those guys, I wouldn't hesitate to make the selections be Makoui and McCray. Jones would be fine, but I don't think he helps the team like the other two (especially McCray). Scheffers is probably best suited to either go JUCO (or take one of his D-II offers, which is probably more suitable for him) or walk-on at NIU, a la Dan Filippone. Obviously, the JUCO route would be if he still fancies himself a D-I player. If I were a betting man and adding up the variables, I'd bet it's a 50/50 toss up between the D-IIs and being a walk-on.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Redd - 04-23-2020 09:40 AM

(04-23-2020 07:36 AM)Big Red Wrote:  At this point, NIU has 2 spots to fill with 4 outstanding offers on the table.

Tavon Jones - JUCO Sophomore - 6'3" - SG - 3* from Linden HS (Linden, NJ) - has started his collegiate career at Odessa (Odessa, TX) and as a sophomore he started 5 of 35 games averaging 13.8 minutes and 6.5 ppg shooting 47.8% from the field (30% 3PT) and 63.9% FT. I believe, even though he graduated from HS two years ago, he has only played 1 season at Odessa so he may be an incoming sophomore if he signs. In regards to Odessa College, there's literally nothing special about them. They went 14-16 last season and lost their last 5 games. So, if one were to try to look at his pedestrian numbers and draw some conclusion about him being a first year played being buried behind a loaded roster, it doesn't appear he was. Now, he was a 3* recruit coming out of HS so apparently there was something there. He very well could have been injured his first year, which is why he didn't play. Coming out of high school he had a ton of offers that he passed on for one reason or another (Eastern Kentucky, Massachusetts, Quinnipiac, Niagra, Hofstra, Buffalo, Stoney Brook, Seton Hall, St. Peter's, and Saint Joseph's). As of right now, NIU is the only school to make an offer on him as a transfer. After a little digging, it seems people (message board types) were pretty aware that he couldn't qualify academically and would be going to either a prep school or JUCO. One commenter even stated that he expected to see Jones in a few years in a major or mid-major program in a couple of years with a 3 point shot added to his game. Judging from his stats this past year, that didn't happen and it appears he couldn't shoot the 3 in high school either. Doesn't look like he can shoot free throws either. If I were a guessing man, I'd guess this guy goes to the basket. Eugene German but can't shoot. In my opinion, going off of what I've learned about him in a very short information search, adding Jones for next year would be a waste of a roster spot/scholarship. If you're going to take a shot on a guy with bad grades, at least get one that can score.

Adong Makoui - Sophomore - 6'9" - PF - 2* from The RISE Centre Academy (Brantford, ON, his hometown is Edmonton, AB) - Makoui started his career at Daytona State College where he started 30 of 30 games averaging 6.6 ppg/5.4 rpg while shooting 69.8% from the field and 75% FT. He also blocked 46 shots which is about 1.5 per game.

Makoui has other offers from SIU, Portland State, Murray State, Kent State, and Buffalo.

Luke Scheffers - 6'1 - PG - 2* from St. Charles North HS (St. Charles, IL) - I'll do some video research on him tomorrow or the next day (maybe some day I'll get to that extra research...but the best I can tell about him is he's a scrappy little point guard who doesn't score much and plays good defense.). Scheffers has received other offers from Grand Valley State, Nova Southeastern, and Lewis University.

If I were able to just pick two of those guys, I wouldn't hesitate to make the selections be Makoui and McCray. Jones would be fine, but I don't think he helps the team like the other two (especially McCray). Scheffers is probably best suited to either go JUCO (or take one of his D-II offers, which is probably more suitable for him) or walk-on at NIU, a la Dan Filippone. Obviously, the JUCO route would be if he still fancies himself a D-I player. If I were a betting man and adding up the variables, I'd bet it's a 50/50 toss up between the D-IIs and being a walk-on.
Why would Scheffers walk-on? He’s had an offer sitting there for months. Regardless, he’s not coming to NIU. Btw, he’s the top rated PG uncommitted in the state. My gut says he either gives up the sport or tries to walk-on to a bigger D1 and ride the bench just to keep b-ball in his life. My impression is that he’s completely focused on education and b-ball is secondary.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Milwaukee Pilot - 04-23-2020 12:27 PM

Why would Scheffers walk-on? He’s had an offer sitting there for months. Regardless, he’s not coming to NIU. Btw, he’s the top rated PG uncommitted in the state. My gut says he either gives up the sport or tries to walk-on to a bigger D1 and ride the bench just to keep b-ball in his life. My impression is that he’s completely focused on education and b-ball is secondary.
[/quote]

Big Redd talking smack to Big Red......fascinating.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-23-2020 01:33 PM

(04-23-2020 09:40 AM)Big Redd Wrote:  
(04-23-2020 07:36 AM)Big Red Wrote:  At this point, NIU has 2 spots to fill with 4 outstanding offers on the table.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't fully understand how these things work out, but they have 4 offers and 2 slots available. There's gonna be 2 that don't get scholarships. He's also had that offer for months. Why hasn't he accepted?

Ultimately, I'm just speculating and assuming one of the last two spots won't go to him. Just because he's "the best point guard remaining in the state" doesn't make him good nor does it mean he actually makes NIU better considering he's behind 3 or 4 guys at the position.

I'm guessing he goes to Lewis or one of the other D-II schools where he can start and have a good basketball career and get a good education.

At this point, I've watched some video. He's a fine player. He's crafty and a clever passer. Is he a D-I point guard? Eh.... I have strong reservations with that idea. Would he be better than Filippone? I mean, they're probably pretty similar and Dan didn't see the floor this year. Dan's also more filled out. Granted, he's a year older and just spent a year in a D-I sports program so he should be. Although, I'm not sure Scheffers has the frame to put on much more weight/muscle. He's listed at 6'1" (and that seems to me to be generous) and 165. If they exaggerated on his height (likely) they probably exaggerated on his weight.

I'm more than confident saying that Trendan Hankerson (a walk-on) would eat him alive. But, who knows. I've been wrong before.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Redd - 04-23-2020 02:27 PM

(04-23-2020 01:33 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(04-23-2020 09:40 AM)Big Redd Wrote:  

I'll be the first to admit, I don't fully understand how these things work out, but they have 4 offers and 2 slots available. There's gonna be 2 that don't get scholarships. He's also had that offer for months. Why hasn't he accepted?

Ultimately, I'm just speculating and assuming one of the last two spots won't go to him. Just because he's "the best point guard remaining in the state" doesn't make him good nor does it mean he actually makes NIU better considering he's behind 3 or 4 guys at the position.

I'm guessing he goes to Lewis or one of the other D-II schools where he can start and have a good basketball career and get a good education.

At this point, I've watched some video. He's a fine player. He's crafty and a clever passer. Is he a D-I point guard? Eh.... I have strong reservations with that idea. Would he be better than Filippone? I mean, they're probably pretty similar and Dan didn't see the floor this year. Dan's also more filled out. Granted, he's a year older and just spent a year in a D-I sports program so he should be. Although, I'm not sure Scheffers has the frame to put on much more weight/muscle. He's listed at 6'1" (and that seems to me to be generous) and 165. If they exaggerated on his height (likely) they probably exaggerated on his weight.

I'm more than confident saying that Trendan Hankerson (a walk-on) would eat him alive. But, who knows. I've been wrong before.
Very fair speculation. My point was just that he wouldn’t walk-on if he’s had an offer sitting there. Most people wouldn’t, and I know enough of him to say he definitely won’t. For instance, on senior night all 5 seniors had offers at some level. The other 4 spoke to where they were going to play in college while for him it was simply focusing on his major and nothing about b-ball. FWIW I don’t think Hankerson mops him, at least not the freshman version. Luke more than holds his own in his AAU league. Not saying he dominates D1 competition, but I’ve seen plenty of good matchups and he’s always done ok. Anyway, I really hope at least 1 of the other 3 commit. Thanks for the info.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-25-2020 09:46 AM

MAC transfer update:

Braden Burke - Transferring to Central Michigan from Michigan State - Grad Transfer - RS Junior - 7'0" - C - 2* recruit from Lakeshore HS (Stevensville, MI) - Burke will be coming to CMU and will be eligible for the 2020-21 season as a grad transfer. Burke started his collegiate career at Robert Morris where he played one season, starting 8 of 32 games averaging 15.2 minutes and 4.3 ppg/1.8 rpg. From there, Burke transferred to Michigan State. I'm sure it was a dream come true for the Michigander although what probably could have been a good career at RMU sputtered out at MSU. Burke played in 8 games as a RS Sophomore and 6 games last year as a RS Junior averaging only 1.4 and 1.5 minutes per games and scoring less than a point per game each season. Let's be honest. Burke is coming to CMU as a 7 footer who has been in a B1G program (one of the top B1G programs) for 2 years. He's going to be a factor in some way when he's on the floor and if he has improved on his freshman season, he could be a real pain in the arse for a team who doesn't have much size on the inside (I may be talking here about a specific team who plays in the same division as CMU...).

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-25-2020 02:34 PM

NIU recruiting update:

Zool Kueth - Sophomore - 6'7" - PF - Pratt CC (Pratt, KS) - 2* recruit from Gallatin HS (Gallatin, TN) - Last season as a sophomore at PCC, Kueth started 21 of 31 games averaging 26.9 minutes and 14.5 ppg/4.9 rpg shooting 42.6% from the field (32.9% 3PT - 69 of 210) and 77.9% from the line (53 of 68). Pratt CC went 19-12 last season scoring 80 points per game (while giving up 76 ppg). Zueth's 14.9 ppg were 2nd on the team to Jamel Horton's 17.3 ppg who has committed to Albany. Zueth started his collegiate career at D-I factory Tallahassee CC where he was limited to 17 games due to a broken ankle. He apparently decided to transfer to Pratt last year for a new opportunity to showcase his talents. (I'm thinking it was because TCC brought in 7 D-I players as transfers and he more than likely knew he was behind the 8-ball there...which he probably was). After his short year at Tallahassee, Zueth still received offers from D-I programs Jacksonville and Coastal Carolina. However, he felt the best decision was to stay at JUCO for one more year. In that sophomore season, Zueth was named to the All-KJCCC Second Team (KJCCC = Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference). I'm guessing, at the D-I level he will play more SF than PF.

Kueth appears to be long and thin. Physically, I'd say a taller version of Gairges Daow. He's got a high release on a pretty quick shot (he doesn't jump much on the shot, it's barely more than a set shot, but a real quick one). Zueth has a variety of colleges to pick from as he's received a number of offers this offseason from NIU, Lamar, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, Bryant, Northern Colorado, Tennessee State, and Louisiana-Monroe. Not exactly an impressive list of programs (Tennessee State probably being the best) but a wide selection nonetheless.

At this point, I still put McCray at the top of the wish list. As for the 2nd offer, I'm intrigued by Kueth but I think I'd still go with Makoui as he's just big and really athletic and I think that is needed on this team. If, and I'm sure this isn't exactly how this works, but if I had my absolute choice and I couldn't get one of either McCray or Makoui then I absolutely make Zueth a priority. So, I'm going McCray and Makoui with Zueth as a really strong back-up plan to both of them.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-26-2020 08:44 AM

MAC transfer update:

Aaron Etherington - Transferring from Toledo to Indianapolis - Freshman - 6’6” - SF - 2* from Hamilton Southeastern (Fishers, IN) - I don’t believe he played in any games as a freshman.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-27-2020 07:49 PM

NIU Recruiting Update:

McCray chooses CSU Fullerton

Christian McCray - COMMITTED TO CSU FULLERTON - Sophomore - 6'7" - SF - West Los Angeles College (Culver City, CA) - 2* recruit from Oak Hill Academy (Wilson, VA)/I'm not sure where he attended HS before Oak Hill but he's from Plantation, FL (I think he went to Everglades HS but I'm not 100% certain) - As a sophomore at WLAC, McCray started 28 of 30 games averaging 24.7 minutes and 18 ppg/6.8 rpg shooting 53.3% from the field (39.6% 3PT - 55 of 139) and 86% FT. West LA was pretty good last year going 21-9 and averaging 88.6 ppg. McCray led all scorers with his 18 ppg. McCray looks to be an accomplished scorer and has decent size. He's got long arms and legs and is built more like an athlete than someone who is built much thinner (somewhere between Jaylen Key and Levi Bradley). McCray has a lot of interest in his services presently with offers from: NIU, Georgia Southern, Southern, CSU Northridge, CSU Fullerton, Coppin State, North Carolina A&T, Chicago State, and Kentucky State. He's basically got his pick of region except maybe the northeast. If he wants to stay in California, he has a couple of decent opportunities. If he wants to get closer to home, Georgia State is a fantastic program. So, Montgomery has some work ahead of him but any add this late typically means there very well could be a chance.

In all honestly, I knew NIU would be lucky to get him based on the number of offers he received and how he'd really improved his stock this past year at West LA. And it appears he decided to stay in California. I'm actually surprised he turned down both NIU and Chicago State considering the rumors about a consolidation of schools. You'd think that would be too good for a guy like McCray to pass up. I guess he just likes Fullerton, CA. I mean...who wouldn't?

Anyway, for me, there are only two guys I want. Zool Kueth and Adong Makoui. Makoui is a must have imo. I'd love to have Keuth but they do have a bit of an "upside" offer out there in Tavon Jones, but he can keep his bad 3 point shot and go elsewhere as far as I'm concerned. Kueth and Makoui are the guys to have and tbh, the more video I watched the more I was on the fence between Kueth and McCray. I was sticking with McCray as my top wish because it seemed college coaches coveted him more. But from what I saw and read about Kueth, I don't think he's much of a step down at all.

And Makoui is just an athletic beast. I'm just worried he's going to choose either Buffalo or Murray State. Mostly Murray State, tbh. He just seems like a good fit on that team. But NIU really needs a guy like him.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-28-2020 10:54 PM

NIU recruiting update:
Zool Kueth - COMMITTED - Transferring from Pratt CC (Pratt, KS) - Sophomore - 6'7" - PF - 2* recruit from Gallatin HS (Gallatin, TN) - Last season as a sophomore at PCC, Kueth started 21 of 31 games averaging 26.9 minutes and 14.5 ppg/4.9 rpg shooting 42.6% from the field (32.9% 3PT - 69 of 210) and 77.9% from the line (53 of 68). Pratt CC went 19-12 last season scoring 80 points per game (while giving up 76 ppg). Zueth's 14.9 ppg were 2nd on the team to Jamel Horton's 17.3 ppg who has committed to Albany. Zueth started his collegiate career at D-I factory Tallahassee CC where he was limited to 17 games due to a broken ankle. He apparently decided to transfer to Pratt last year for a new opportunity to showcase his talents. (I'm thinking it was because TCC brought in 7 D-I players as transfers and he more than likely knew he was behind the 8-ball there...which he probably was). After his short year at Tallahassee, Zueth still received offers from D-I programs Jacksonville and Coastal Carolina. However, he felt the best decision was to stay at JUCO for one more year. In that sophomore season, Zueth was named to the All-KJCCC Second Team (KJCCC = Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference). I'm guessing, at the D-I level he will play more SF than PF.

Kueth appears to be long and thin. Physically, I'd say a taller version of Gairges Daow. He's got a high release on a pretty quick shot (he doesn't jump much on the shot, it's barely more than a set shot, but a real quick one).

Next, just get Adong Makoui on the roster.