CSNbbs
2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting (/thread-897621.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-14-2020 09:12 PM

(04-14-2020 08:12 PM)dc1 Wrote:  Huskies offer 6’2 PG Sam’i Roe from Atlantic City and from Independence Community College. He looks like he can score

Good catch. He's now been added:

Sam'i Roe - JUCO Sophomore - 6'2" PG - Independence CC (Independence, KS) - 2* recruit from Isaiah Christopher Academy (Atlantic City, NJ) - Started 25 of 31 games at ICC averaging 28.5 minutes and 14.7 ppg/4.8 rpg/2.3 apg shooting 55.5% from the field (26.4% 3PT) and 85.2% FT. ICC had a pretty decent year going 23-9 and averaging 90.8 ppg. Roe was the 2nd leading scored (by scoring average), 2nd to Demetric Horton who is going to Purdue Ft. Wayne. So, something interesting I found while looking at the ICC roster. Marlo Brown. Yup. Same guy who "played" a year at NIU before transferring to ICC. As a sophomore, Brown was not all that good. Started 18 of 29 games and averaged 5.1 ppg shooting 43.1% from the field (35.7% 3PT) and 63.2% from the line. Eh...tidbits. Overall, Roe is kind of interesting but he's another guard on a team with a lot of guards and I don't see anything he does that I think would stand out in the group. Clearly, Montgomery is looking for another guard because he keeps making offers to guards. But, from what I can tell, Monty has 3 more slots and he can realistically add to two forwards and another guard. Honestly, if it came down to either of the JUCO guards (Roe/T.Jones) vs the high school guards (Sheffers/J.Jones), I'd take a JUCO and preferably Roe. Tavon Jones may have more "potential" but Roe's probably the safer bet and at least he can shoot from behind the arc.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-15-2020 02:37 PM

MAC Transfer Update:

Malik Zachary - Transferring to Buffalo from Chipola College (Marianna, FL) - 6'2" - PG - 3* recruit from Springfield Commonwealth Academy (Springfield, MA) and born in Syracuse, NY - Out of high school, Zachary was a 3* recruit who chose the JUCO route. Due to an injury, Zachary had to sit out this past season so he still has 3 years of eligibility left at Buffalo. As a freshman, Zachary 31 of 32 games averaging 21.6 minutes and 8.5 ppg/3.9 rpg/5.75 apg shooting 45.8% from the field (32.1% 3PT) and 74.5% FT. If fully healed, all signs point to Zachary being a very good get by Buffalo and was highly sought after, getting offers from Ole Miss, California, Southern Miss, Middle Tennessee State, Southeastern Louisiana, McNeese State, Nebraska, Eastern Michigan, Sam Houston State, Fresno State, SIU, and UCF. If he's healthy and has his academics in line, he's should be pretty good for Buffalo.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-15-2020 10:33 PM

Some more MAC transfer updates:

Jaylon Holmes - Transferring to Western Michigan from Lincoln Trail College (Robinson, IL) - 6'6" - PG - 2* recruit from Merrillville HS (Merrillville, IN) - Yes...TJ Lux was his coach at Merrillville HS. I believe it was TJ's last year at the helm before retiring from coaching. Anyway, as a freshman at LTC, Holmes played and started all 27 games he played in as a sophomore averaging 9.3 ppg/6.1 rpg/3.4 apg shooting 46.6% from the field (31.8% 3PT) and 60.8% FT. Lincoln Trail was...okay...last year going 18-12 overall averaging 84.3 ppg. Holmes will be a sophomore at WMU. Holmes also received offers from Portland, Towson, Albany, Wright State, Eastern Illinois, and North Florida.

Seth Millner - Transferring to Toledo from Northwest Florida State College (Niceville, FL) - 6'6" - SG - 2* recruit from Grand Rapids Christian HS (Grand Rapids, MI) - Millner played 27 games for NWFSC averaging 14.4 ppg/5.3 rpg shooting 41.3% FG (25.8% 3PT) and 80% FT. Millner actually started his collegiate career at Cleveland State where he played 31 games averaging 7.1 ppg/4.7 rpg shooting 40.5% from the field (30.5% 3PT) and 69.8% FT.

Tekorian "TK" Smith - Transferred to Kent State from Polk State College (Winter Haven, FL) JUCO RS Sophomore - 6'4" - SG - 2* recruit from Richard King HS (Corpus Cristi, TX) born in Memphis, TN - Smith started 27 of 30 games at PSC averaging 19.4 ppg/3.2 bpg shooting 43.6% from the field (38.5% 3PT) and 76.7% FT. Smith actually started his career at Lincoln Memorial University (Harrogate, TN) but didn't play.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-16-2020 01:49 PM

Hey, a real life D-1 transfer into the MAC. I thought we quit those...

Greg Lee - Transferring to Western Michigan from Cal State Bakersfield (I wonder if he knows Chip Baskets?) - Grad Transfer - 6'9" - PF - 2* recruit from Westside HS (Houston, TX) - Lee started his collegiate career as a Roadrunner at Cal State Bakersfield. Are the roadrunners in Bakersfield? Who knows. Anyway, Lee played 3 years at CSU Bakersfield and has been a started the past two years. As a junior, Lee averaged 18.1 minutes and 6.7 ppg/3.9 rpg shooting 43% from the field (29.1% 3PT) and 76.5% FT. All of these numbers were slightly better his sophomore year. Other than his size and strength (and people say good things about his character), he seems to be adequate and will fill a role for the Broncos. Interestingly, he was born and grew up for a spell in Rockford, IL. At age 6, his mother moved with him to Houston because Rockford was too dangerous and violent stating that she "couldn't raise her son in a place that was so negatively influenced by limitedness. It was horrible." Good for her for having the wherewithal and means to better both of their lives. In everything I've seen and read about Lee, he appears to be a solid guy and someone who will be a veteran presence for the Broncos. Interesting tidbit, Lee is the first D-1 transfer to Western Michigan in 15 years. Apparently new HC Clayton Bates is on record as saying this is the way...for WMU in the near future. Embracing grad, 4 year, and JUCO transfers. I think we all agree with him that times, they are a'changin' and finding talent in the form of transfers is the way mid-majors are going to compete.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-16-2020 01:59 PM

And here's one leaving the MAC (presumably):

Nate Springs - Transferring from Ohio - Undecided on transfer - RS Freshman - 6'10" - C - 2* recruit from United Faith Christian Academy (Charlotte, NC) - Played 1 season for the Bobcats playing in 21 games (0 starts) averaging 8.5 minutes and 3 ppg/1.3 rpg shooting 87.5% from the field (40% 3PT...16 of 40) and 100% FT (2 of 2). This guy doesn't seem terrible. No word on why he's transferring.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-17-2020 03:48 PM

New MAC transfer:

Justyn Hamilton - Transferring to Kent State from Temple - Junior - 6'10" - PF - 2.7* recruit from Independence HS (Charlotte, NC) - Hamilton has played 3 seasons at Temple as a "some times" starter. As a junior, Hamilton started 14 of 23 games averaging 10.5 minutes and 3.3 ppg/1.9 rpg shooting 47% from the field (16.7% 3PT - 1 of 6) and 52.2% FT. To the best of my knowledge, Hamilton will have to sit out a season and then will have 1 season remaining in 2021-22. Hamilton isn't much. His numbers this year were slightly down from last year but he's never been a big contributor. Seems his biggest asset is being a tall body in the paint. He's not overly big and strong, but he is kinda tall.

Also...(late edit):

Tayler Mattos - Transferring to New Hampshire from Bowling Green - Junior - 6’11” - C - 2* from Kearsarge HS (Sutton, NH) - played 31 games (30 starts) as a sophomore averaging 15.5 minutes and 4.9 ppg/5.1 rpg. Mattos is from New Hampshire and went to high school there, so I suppose good for him to land at a D-1 school close to home. I can't imagine there was a ton of interest in him for any other reason than he's 6'11".

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - cleveland - 04-17-2020 08:09 PM

(04-17-2020 03:48 PM)Big Red Wrote:  New MAC transfer:

Justyn Hamilton - Transferring to Kent State from Temple - Junior - 6'10" - PF - 2.7* recruit from Independence HS (Charlotte, NC) - Hamilton has played 3 seasons at Temple as a "some times" starter. As a junior, Hamilton started 14 of 23 games averaging 10.5 minutes and 3.3 ppg/1.9 rpg shooting 47% from the field (16.7% 3PT - 1 of 6) and 52.2% FT. To the best of my knowledge, Hamilton will have to sit out a season and then will have 1 season remaining in 2021-22. Hamilton isn't much. His numbers this year were slightly down from last year but he's never been a big contributor. Seems his biggest asset is being a tall body in the paint. He's not overly big and strong, but he is kinda tall.

Also...(late edit):

Tayler Mattos - Transferring to New Hampshire from Bowling Green - Junior - 6’11” - C - 2* from Kearsarge HS (Sutton, NH) - played 31 games (30 starts) as a sophomore averaging 15.5 minutes and 4.9 ppg/5.1 rpg. Mattos is from New Hampshire and went to high school there, so I suppose good for him to land at a D-1 school close to home. I can't imagine there was a ton of interest in him for any other reason than he's 6'11".

GREAT JOB ON THESE, RED ...

But I would not underestimate the loss or arrival of the last two players. Being 6-10 in the MAC or any mid-major conference with proven college experience does not come down the pike every day.

BG will miss it and Kent will be glad to have it. On the surface Toledo might appear light in the post next season, but Edu-Maranka-Kamaga??? is likely a better trio than most teams will have in the MAC and two of those guys are 6-10. Maranka might not be a 'starter' in the MAC, but I would guess he's a better post backup than at least 8-9 other teams have in the MAC.

Look at BG. Sierra was probably one of the top backup post players in the MAC last season at 6-6, ... and now he's gone, along with Mattos. Don't underestimate decent size because very few teams have it, either as a starter or a backup.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-18-2020 12:55 PM

(04-17-2020 08:09 PM)cleveland Wrote:  

Also...(late edit):

But I would not underestimate the loss or arrival of the last two players. Being 6-10 in the MAC or any mid-major conference with proven college experience does not come down the pike every day.

BG will miss it and Kent will be glad to have it. On the surface Toledo might appear light in the post next season, but Edu-Maranka-Kamaga??? is likely a better trio than most teams will have in the MAC and two of those guys are 6-10. Maranka might not be a 'starter' in the MAC, but I would guess he's a better post backup than at least 8-9 other teams have in the MAC.

Look at BG. Sierra was probably one of the top backup post players in the MAC last season at 6-6, ... and now he's gone, along with Mattos. Don't underestimate decent size because very few teams have it, either as a starter or a backup.

Those are valid points. Neither James nor McCarty were especially tall for a center (6'9" and 6'8") but when paired together, they often controlled the paint and rim area. It helped that both of them had size to go along with their height. They were both good defenders and worked hard too.

Size you can often see on a guy but that other stuff is hard to tell when you can't watch them play. For a guy like Hamilton, I have my doubts. He never was much of a rebounder at Temple even when he was on the floor. But who knows. Maybe MAC play vs the AAC will help him.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-18-2020 04:33 PM

NIU Recruiting update:

NIU has lost its second JUCO transfer to Milwaukee. If you remember, NIU lost out on bringing DeAndre Gholston in to Milwaukee. Here's the 411:

Tafari Simms - COMMITTED TO MILWAUKEE - Sophomore - 6'6" - SF - 2* from Lincoln Prep at St. Mary Prep (I can't figure out where this school is but his hometown is Hamilton, ON) - Started his collegiate career at Western Texas College where last year, he started 31 of 33 games and averaged 11.8 ppg/6.8 rpg shooting 48.2% from the field (42,1% 3PT) and 73% FT.

Simms had received offers from Tennessee-Martin, Incarnate Word, New Orleans, and NIU.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - golf4501 - 04-18-2020 06:31 PM

NIU's basketball recruiting is putrid right now. I wonder if they know Monty is probably a lame duck. Offering 2 star JUCO guys just to fill the roster I hate to say it, but they are going to be terrible next year.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-18-2020 07:37 PM

(04-18-2020 06:31 PM)golf4501 Wrote:  NIU's basketball recruiting is putrid right now. I wonder if they know Monty is probably a lame duck. Offering 2 star JUCO guys just to fill the roster I hate to say it, but they are going to be terrible next year.

Interesting take considering Lacey James and Dante Thorpe were both "2* recruits".

Also, just because a guy is a 2* recruit out of high school doesn't mean he's still a 2* recruit as a sophomore in college.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - golf4501 - 04-18-2020 08:29 PM

I probably should have clarified my point better, it was more of a comment on relying on JUCOs when you have been here 8+ years, and the other schools that have offered these kids. To me, they appear to be a bunch of roster fillers.

I do appreciate the effort you have put into this!

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - dc1 - 04-19-2020 12:38 AM

Recruiting juco guys or transfers is exactly what Montgomery should be doing.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - cleveland - 04-19-2020 07:45 AM

(04-19-2020 12:38 AM)dc1 Wrote:  Recruiting juco guys or transfers is exactly what Montgomery should be doing.

Indeed, this is more and more a growing trend. Check out the assistant coaching staffs around the league and you will see the likes of Buffalo, Kent and others have a former juco coach in the ranks.

Imperative to have connections in the juco ranks to be successful. Nearly all but the elite jucos are 'late' recruits, yet most have been recruited since the previous summer. The key is fit and opportunity.

Jucos for the most part are looking for playing time, not bright lights. Those 6-4 to 6-6 wings who turned their nose up at MAC schools out of high school are more willing to play on a MAC team as juniors.

If you can identify them and sell them early on.

Transfers somewhat the same, especially those that have to sit. They are looking for fit as much as anything else.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-19-2020 09:21 AM

MAC transfer update:

Jalen Windham - Transferring to Ball State from Creighton - Freshman - 6'5" - SG - 2* recruit from Ben Davis HS (Indianapolis, IN) - Windham will have to sit a year as he's only a freshman. As a freshman at Creighton, played in 16 games averaging 6.6 minutes and 2.6 ppg shooting 36.6% from the field (26.9% 3PT) and 83.3% FT. It's hard to tell what Windham is currently (or what he'll be in a year). He was moderately recruited by about a half dozen or so mid-major schools mostly in the MAC (Toledo, Ohio, Miami, WMU). Creighton was definitely the highest profile program that recruited him and he may have well chosen unwisely based on that (or was influenced by someone to do it and if he was from Chicago I'd bet money on it). But he only played a little (and un-remarkably) so he very well may have seen the writing on the wall or felt over-matched in the Big East so he got lucky with a D-1 offer close to home. Honestly, Windham is lucky. There's a high number of guys just like him who transfer to a JUCO at this point in their careers. Some might argue its a better route as it allows a player to showcase themselves and get better offers. But maybe he's super cool with getting close to home.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - cleveland - 04-19-2020 09:41 AM

(04-19-2020 09:21 AM)Big Red Wrote:  MAC transfer update:

Jalen Windham - Transferring to Ball State from Creighton - Freshman - 6'5" - SG - 2* recruit from Ben Davis HS (Indianapolis, IN) - Windham will have to sit a year as he's only a freshman. As a freshman at Creighton, played in 16 games averaging 6.6 minutes and 2.6 ppg shooting 36.6% from the field (26.9% 3PT) and 83.3% FT. It's hard to tell what Windham is currently (or what he'll be in a year). He was moderately recruited by about a half dozen or so mid-major schools mostly in the MAC (Toledo, Ohio, Miami, WMU). Creighton was definitely the highest profile program that recruited him and he may have well chosen unwisely based on that (or was influenced by someone to do it and if he was from Chicago I'd bet money on it). But he only played a little (and un-remarkably) so he very well may have seen the writing on the wall or felt over-matched in the Big East so he got lucky with a D-1 offer close to home. Honestly, Windham is lucky. There's a high number of guys just like him who transfer to a JUCO at this point in their careers. Some might argue its a better route as it allows a player to showcase themselves and get better offers. But maybe he's super cool with getting close to home.

Exactly right on all counts, and perfect 6-5 wing example of what I said above ... the only main difference being, those who go juco to showcase themselves often wind up at MAC-level programs for the reasons mentioned above: fit and playing time with the plus for this kid being close to home.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-19-2020 09:47 AM

A couple of MAC JUCO transfers:

Jermaine Marshall - Transferring to Akron from Florida Southwestern State College (Ft. Myers, FL) - 6'6" - PF - 2* recruit from DME Sports Academy (Daytona Beach, FL) via Hueytown HS (Hueytown, AL) which is his hometown - Coming out of HS, Marshall had received 3 D-1 scholarships so academics may have been an issues (considering the prep school route and then JUCO). Starting his collegiate career at FSWSC, Marshall played one year starting 25 of 29 games averaging 23.5 minutes and 10.2 ppg/8.8 rpg shooting 49.8% from the field (32.8% 3PT) and 65.7% FT. After his year in JUCO, Marshall got a number of D-1 interest receiving offers from Kent State, UAB, Fresno State, Southern Miss, Sam Houston State, James Madison and Fordham. Honestly, I'd be interested in knowing the reasoning behind choosing Akron over a few other schools that have pretty good programs and are either closer to home or in better locations. Either way, it looks like Akron got a pretty decent pickup here.

Bryce McBride - Transferring to Eastern Michigan from Dyersburg State CC (Dyersburg, TN) - Sophomore - 6'1" - PG - 2* recruit from South Side HS (Jackson, TN) - As a sophomore at DSCC, McBride started all 28 games he played in averaging 32 minutes and 24.2 ppg/4.3 apg/1.0 spg/3.4 rpg shooting 52.8% from the field (45% 3PT - 99 of 220) and 81.6% FT. Bottom line, this guy is a shooter and will be someone to keep an eye on for a couple of years. I don't see any evidence that McBride was offered an scholarships outside of the one from EMU so that makes me scratch my head a bit. I've been reading a couple of articles about the transfer and there's something in his words that have me intrigued as to his choice (or seemingly lack of choices). I suppose we'll see.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - JHG722 - 04-19-2020 12:16 PM

(04-18-2020 12:55 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Also...(late edit):

Those are valid points. Neither James nor McCarty were especially tall for a center (6'9" and 6'8") but when paired together, they often controlled the paint and rim area. It helped that both of them had size to go along with their height. They were both good defenders and worked hard too.

Size you can often see on a guy but that other stuff is hard to tell when you can't watch them play. For a guy like Hamilton, I have my doubts. He never was much of a rebounder at Temple even when he was on the floor. But who knows. Maybe MAC play vs the AAC will help him.

All of our games are nationally televised. He stinks.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - cleveland - 04-19-2020 01:45 PM

(04-19-2020 12:16 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

Also...(late edit):

Based on numbers, you are almost definitely right.

But to prove my point, two years ago Buffalo started a kid (can't remember his name) almost identical is size and stature to Hamilton and IIR about the same numbers including minutes. That UB team not only won the MAC and MAC Tournament, but was also nationally-ranked for 3/4s of the season.

Just checked: Montrell McCrea, 16 minutes, 5 points, 3 reb per game.

RE: 2020-21 Hoops Transfers and NIU Recruiting - Big Red - 04-19-2020 02:24 PM

(04-19-2020 01:45 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(04-19-2020 12:16 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

Also...(late edit):

Based on numbers, you are almost definitely right.

But to prove my point, two years ago Buffalo started a kid (can't remember his name) almost identical is size and stature to Hamilton and IIR about the same numbers including minutes. That UB team not only won the MAC and MAC Tournament, but was also nationally-ranked for 3/4s of the season.

Just checked: Montrell McCrea, 16 minutes, 5 points, 3 reb per game.

McRae is also playing professionally in Great Britain.