CSNbbs
State Of The University Address Today - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: State Of The University Address Today (/thread-897590.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

State Of The University Address Today - DetroitRocket - 04-07-2020 08:25 AM

Streaming live 3:30 PM EST https://www.utoledo.edu/video/

State Of The University Address Today - indianasniff - 04-08-2020 03:32 PM

Too bad there is nothing about the master plan but it is hard to make capital expenditures in this environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: State Of The University Address Today - eastisbest - 04-08-2020 03:52 PM

(04-08-2020 03:32 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Too bad there is nothing about the master plan but it is hard to make capital expenditures in this environment.

Might be easier. Access to high learning can be limited simply by the commute to campus. Investments in the distance learning infrastructure will add to sustainability but also to competition. Some universities were ahead on that curve but most seemed to adjust reasonably well. Haven't seen any torches in the streets.

UT made efforts to train instructors in effective (and entertaining) distance learning but now that the future holds getting that instruction from anywhere, might be a time to coordinate efforts with other state schools to get the best, most popular instructors access to each other's students?

RE: State Of The University Address Today - PaulJ - 04-13-2020 03:06 PM

UT is looking at 20% cut to operating budget for FY21, across the board and that includes Athletics. The impacts will be hard and widespread, and don't look for any new investments or initiatives, the aim is simply serve students and keep the doors open. And its not just UT, look for similar cuts or higher across Ohio and the country at all types and levels of higher education, both public and private. The impacts will be brutal and extensive over every operation at the institution. DL has some potential, but plenty of research-including from the recent move of all courses to online - shows that is it not a mode of learning that all students enjoy or want, it can be a short term solution and expansion opportunities in the new future of higher ed, but its not going to transform the college learning environment in a way some think it may or could.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - BearcatMan - 04-13-2020 03:28 PM

(04-13-2020 03:06 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  UT is looking at 20% cut to operating budget for FY21, across the board and that includes Athletics. The impacts will be hard and widespread, and don't look for any new investments or initiatives, the aim is simply serve students and keep the doors open. And its not just UT, look for similar cuts or higher across Ohio and the country at all types and levels of higher education, both public and private. The impacts will be brutal and extensive over every operation at the institution. DL has some potential, but plenty of research-including from the recent move of all courses to online - shows that is it not a mode of learning that all students enjoy or want, it can be a short term solution and expansion opportunities in the new future of higher ed, but its not going to transform the college learning environment in a way some think it may or could.

Luckily, those 20% cuts are an absolute worst case scenario. The SSI's are being cut by 20%, which would equate to a 6% cut in revenue by itself...those 20% cuts would imply a 14% reduction in all other revenues throughout the FY to balance. I see the cuts coming in closer to 12-15%, still nothing to balk at, but a bit better than what was initially thought. A lot of the recapture they're doing is helping to supply Finance with some case to eat away at the cuts a bit more as well, but who knows how much that's going to help.

Hell, BGSU has made plans fairly public that they'll be laying off all untenured faculty for FY 21, I'd imagine UT will be doing the same, and likely taking a residence hall completely offline to save on auxiliary services costs with the reduced enrollment. I agree that the transition to distance learning this semester will help potentially increase enrollment now, and has allowed for the ridiculous capital expenditure arms races on upgraded facilities to be tempered down.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - eastisbest - 04-13-2020 04:00 PM

Students are primarily interested in being taught in the way they are familiar. It's not a "best researched" methods practice. It's what do you do best practice. More students are going to be familiar with distance learning at the high school levels. It will be a familiar jump to college. Not a problem there. Certainly not one that won't be enjoyed by every college and university not populated by subsistent living teaching monks. Which might not be a bad way to go. Throw me a quiet little corner suite with a view in the monkery. A parking spot. Some health care. Let me eat in the cafeteria. Got my needs met. Not shaving my head into a doughnut though. Monks teach. Profs research.

The business is going to change but it's been headed there anyways. Those institutions that have the imagination and can get their lower level grads jobs and opportunities, win.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - DetroitRocket - 04-13-2020 04:05 PM

(04-13-2020 03:28 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(04-13-2020 03:06 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  UT is looking at 20% cut to operating budget for FY21, across the board and that includes Athletics. The impacts will be hard and widespread, and don't look for any new investments or initiatives, the aim is simply serve students and keep the doors open. And its not just UT, look for similar cuts or higher across Ohio and the country at all types and levels of higher education, both public and private. The impacts will be brutal and extensive over every operation at the institution. DL has some potential, but plenty of research-including from the recent move of all courses to online - shows that is it not a mode of learning that all students enjoy or want, it can be a short term solution and expansion opportunities in the new future of higher ed, but its not going to transform the college learning environment in a way some think it may or could.

Luckily, those 20% cuts are an absolute worst case scenario. The SSI's are being cut by 20%, which would equate to a 6% cut in revenue by itself...those 20% cuts would imply a 14% reduction in all other revenues throughout the FY to balance. I see the cuts coming in closer to 12-15%, still nothing to balk at, but a bit better than what was initially thought. A lot of the recapture they're doing is helping to supply Finance with some case to eat away at the cuts a bit more as well, but who knows how much that's going to help.

Hell, BGSU has made plans fairly public that they'll be laying off all untenured faculty for FY 21, I'd imagine UT will be doing the same, and likely taking a residence hall completely offline to save on auxiliary services costs with the reduced enrollment. I agree that the transition to distance learning this semester will help potentially increase enrollment now, and has allowed for the ridiculous capital expenditure arms races on upgraded facilities to be tempered down.

It will be interesting to see what enrollment is like with students who may not get summer jobs and/or with parents who may be out of work. Without a vaccine, the Coronavirus will still be with us, and how many kids are going to want to be packed into a classroom or dorm room. My guess is that there will be some type of treatment to keep you from getting very sick, but anything is possible. BTW, all Iowa State coaches were given a 10% pay cut.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - Boca Rocket - 04-13-2020 06:22 PM

(04-13-2020 04:05 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

It will be interesting to see what enrollment is like with students who may not get summer jobs and/or with parents who may be out of work. Without a vaccine, the Coronavirus will still be with us, and how many kids are going to want to be packed into a classroom or dorm room. My guess is that there will be some type of treatment to keep you from getting very sick, but anything is possible. BTW, all Iowa State coaches were given a 10% pay cut.

So Matt's salary is $3.15 mil instead of $3.5 mil.
He'll survive.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - IamN2daRockets! - 04-13-2020 06:43 PM

Not a very inspiring or enlightening address IMHO.

I was hoping for more. I know things will be very difficult moving forward. The higher education bubble was coming anyway but Covid 19 has enormously accelerated its arrival and severity. I can see an easy 10 to 15 % enrollment drop next year. Could it be even more? As stated, in a prior post, it will be brutal. I am very curious as to whether commuter or dorm schools will see the larger enrollment decrease. I could argue it either way.

Go Rockets!

RE: State Of The University Address Today - BearcatMan - 04-13-2020 07:15 PM

(04-13-2020 04:05 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

Exactly...that's why most Universities (including UT) have switched to Online-only courses for the Summer semester, and will likely examine that option for the fall as well if things don't improve drastically. The bigger question now becomes what departments, divisions, and Colleges are potentially on the chopping block, not what individual lines or operating expenses are. This will cripple most non-flaghship public institutions and will likely close multiple smaller private schools (I'd be SHOCKED if Lourdes survives this for instance), and many others will need to do the calculus on if athletics are worth it now. With the level of cuts that are being discussed, justifying funneling $20M to a division of a University that runs that sort of budget shortfall every year is going to get MUCH harder to do once those cuts start to affect educational quality.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - BearcatMan - 04-13-2020 07:23 PM

(04-13-2020 06:43 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  Not a very inspiring or enlightening address IMHO.

I was hoping for more. I know things will be very difficult moving forward. The higher education bubble was coming anyway but Covid 19 has enormously accelerated its arrival and severity. I can see an easy 10 to 15 % enrollment drop next year. Could it be even more? As stated, in a prior post, it will be brutal. I am very curious as to whether commuter or dorm schools will see the larger enrollment decrease. I could argue it either way.

Go Rockets!

The initial projections are that the schools who will be affected are COA schools, especially if remote learning becomes commonplace for the foreseeable future. There is nothing to justify a student paying $30,000-$60,000 a year for a school that you're attending in a browser window, which is why many private institutions not affiliated with strong religious sects or institutions are shaking in their boots. I think past that it'll be exceptionally hard to project what will happen with enrollment, as the availability to simply log-in rather than travel hundreds of miles and pay for housing, you could see more individuals attending schools that they otherwise would not have been able to financially before this...but if there are in-person offerings, I can assume many schools will see a significant increase in commuter/regional admission.

Two things to note, BGSU recently laid out a plan to lay-off up to all of their untenured faculty for FY 21 (starting this July) and UT Administration has officially put out RFPs for sale, lease, or partnership-ownership agreements from outside entities for UTMC Hospital (the academic facilities will still be under UT control). That was likely not going to be done this rapidly (or at all) without this...but now the University needs as much liquid cash to be able to absorb these cuts without removing a signficant amount of staff and faculty while maintaining facilities. Universities that don't have significant endowments or control of their state governments will likely be doing a lot of belt tightening, and amputation once that circulation has been completely cut.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - IamN2daRockets! - 04-13-2020 08:10 PM

Nice input Bearcat. I am a bit fearful for how things will spin for UT. I love UT to my core. I know it sounds a bit silly but I even based my house purchase to a large degree to be next to my alma mater. I love to walk to events whether athletic or arts based. I guess it’s a cross university phenomenon that will play out next year and UT will likely be ok over the long haul but it’ll be painful. I feel for all those employees that might get hurt. Not good at all.

Go Rockets!

RE: State Of The University Address Today - PaulJ - 04-13-2020 09:04 PM

SSI cut of 20% is only part of the picture, plans are also for a 20% drop in enrollment, plus if campus remains closed in fall term, you will have lose of revenues from housing, meal plans, student fees, parking etc... Academic deans and all units have already been told to submit proposals for 20% cut in their FY21 budgets. There is a chance it ends up not quite as high by certainly will be between 15-20%.

And no HS students are not used to or interested in entire online education. Forcing HS classes online to end this school year has only made that dislike even stronger. And surveys of current college students focused into online courses for end of this term reveals many hate the format. DL will have a place and role, but will not replace lecture and seminar courses and not the other experiences students, especially freshmen expect from a college environment.

Also worth noting a deep recession and job losses will leave many families (parents and students who lost jobs) questioning enrolling in fall term due to costs and need to save money rather then make more investment in college or take out more in loans. A significant portion of the fall 2020 freshmen class, who do not want a 100% online education, may simply defer to fall 2021. We can debate the numbers and options, but plenty of hard working and smart people have been looking at this for several weeks (yes even before the state stay at home order) and the word is that the budget cuts will be wide and deep, having impacts across every aspect of the campus including athletics.

And we have not even got to what athletics looks like with out $12 million from student fees (20% fewer students or how does one justify charging a fee to students to support or attend football games that will not be on campus for) or no football played on campus in front of fans or not at all. Yes UT will survive (not the case for many smaller 2 or 4 yr colleges), but it will a very different place in September. Not just in terms of jobs and staff let go, but how services and programs are offered, capital projects, virtually every aspect, and the resulting impacts to the local Toledo area economy. There is no quick easy fix, no means for an influx of new revenues, it will be cut cut cut and hang on, and hope the overall economy, state revenues and enrollment rebounds by fall 2021 (none of which are assured)

As to UTMC, perhaps the Board moved today due to the more recent financial crisis but also likely a move that would have been made anyways since as of February UTMC had already lost $12m in first half of FY20 - it was a dead duck to begin with and writing already on the wall there.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - BearcatMan - 04-14-2020 07:36 AM

Oh it's absolutely going to be a bloodbath Paul, I just wonder how they'll attack this. For clarity, Division Leaders (AVPs, Deans, and VPs) were told to "perform exercises" for 5%, 10% and 20% total revenue cuts, they weren't given any numerical indication other than they would be "sizable," and one has to consider that some Divisions would be getting hit harder than others (it would stand to reason that Student Life, Residence Life, Recreational Services, Athletics, and Operations and Facilities would likely see larger reductions than Academic Affairs, Compliance, and IT given their level of comparative "essentialness"). Perhaps they'll finally move on what many throughout the UT community have complained about for years and start reducing the amount of upper level administrative bloat, specifically within Colleges. Or maybe they'll have some extremely hard conversations about what degree programs and College should be considered overall for a University suffering from the problems UT has been seeing. I would expect an NSM/A&L reorganization, a firm reassessment of College of Education, and potentially some retirement negotiations for senior faculty and staff at their STERS or PERS final brackets at this point. For reference to all of those who are unfamiliar, if we break down UT Main Campus Operations separately from UTMC, those operating cuts would equate to $17,000,000 at 5%, $35,000,000 at 10%, and $70,000,000 at 20%.

The most responsible, and hardest, decision to try to lessen the blow and have as much cash up front as possible to absorb some of these cuts would've been to furlough auxiliary services, Residence Life, and Student Org staffs once campus shut down, but they haven't done that and many individuals are collecting checks while they sit around and play video games, watch movies, do lawn work, or just sleep, all the while that money could've been going to protect their jobs moving forward if they were furloughed. Many of those individuals, and others who have been working consistently and tirelessly over the last month will be completely let go now unless the University dips into their endowment to protect their work force...which is an incredibly tenuous situation given what level that is already at.

I think you could see a lot of force furloughs or hourly reductions for staff members over this year, along with reduction in course offerings to help, but there will almost certainly be layoffs and non-renewals as well.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - BearcatMan - 04-14-2020 10:38 AM

More to the point of athletics budgets and the effect of these significant cuts in the state...it's already happening.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - Boca Rocket - 04-14-2020 10:52 AM

(04-14-2020 10:38 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  More to the point of athletics budgets and the effect of these significant cuts in the state...it's already happening.

8 wins over the past 2 seasons.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - PaulJ - 04-14-2020 10:56 AM

As to the 5% 10% or 20% cut plans, folks I have been talking to are proceeding on planning for a 20% budget cut as that is what they anticipate number to be. Senior leadership already taken 20% for remainder of FY20, I suspect all 12 month employees taking a 20% cut for FY21, likely going to see reduction in number of senior administrators by 1/5, early retirement options are not as easy as they require cash incentives that result in FY21 expenses that often reduce the net cost savings (but some plan will likely be offered up)-also not sure many faculty and staff already retirement eligible are still here as many took offers in recent years and others simply not interested - CWA and PSA staff facing layoffs or cut in hours from 40 to 30 hrs. Plus 20% to all non-salary operating budget lines, direct students and enrollment may get some protections but otherwise cuts will be deep and across the board. And yes I could see suspension of current Athletic programs. UT endowment is really not a source of potential cash as most donations are tied to specific funds, mostly for students, not cash that can be easily used to offset UT operating expenses.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - PaulJ - 04-14-2020 11:01 AM

If the Academic side takes up to a 20% cut, so will Athletics, there will be a war if the pain is not felt everywhere, especially considering when budget cuts means focusing on mission of the institution which is education of our students, not having sporting events on campus, plus fewer students means reduction in student fees paid to Athletics. Beyond capital budgets, operations and staffing in Athletics will take a huge hit, will not be business as usual and expect suspension of some varsity sports.

RE: State Of The University Address Today - BearcatMan - 04-14-2020 11:26 AM

(04-14-2020 10:52 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(04-14-2020 10:38 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  More to the point of athletics budgets and the effect of these significant cuts in the state...it's already happening.

8 wins over the past 2 seasons.

Do I need to remind someone about one of the current tenants at Scott Park Campus...

RE: State Of The University Address Today - BearcatMan - 04-14-2020 11:30 AM

(04-14-2020 10:56 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  As to the 5% 10% or 20% cut plans, folks I have been talking to are proceeding on planning for a 20% budget cut as that is what they anticipate number to be. Senior leadership already taken 20% for remainder of FY20, I suspect all 12 month employees taking a 20% cut for FY21, likely going to see reduction in number of senior administrators by 1/5, early retirement options are not as easy as they require cash incentives that result in FY21 expenses that often reduce the net cost savings (but some plan will likely be offered up)-also not sure many faculty and staff already retirement eligible are still here as many took offers in recent years and others simply not interested - CWA and PSA staff facing layoffs or cut in hours from 40 to 30 hrs. Plus 20% to all non-salary operating budget lines, direct students and enrollment may get some protections but otherwise cuts will be deep and across the board. And yes I could see suspension of current Athletic programs. UT endowment is really not a source of potential cash as most donations are tied to specific funds, mostly for students, not cash that can be easily used to offset UT operating expenses.

All vacant posts were just victims of salary recapture, and I could make a broad assumption that will continue to be the case until budgets have normalized. That may allow for a little less burden to be placed on active employees...but I could actually see a large, across the board salary cut being a reasonable decision as no one would lose their jobs and it would effectively provide for 16% of that 20 given that employee compensation accounts for 80% of the overall operating budget every year.