CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cat-Man - 04-17-2020 01:33 PM

(04-17-2020 01:14 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(04-17-2020 12:36 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  
(04-17-2020 07:40 AM)doss2 Wrote:  
(04-16-2020 05:07 PM)Dont tase me bro Wrote:  Testing will be easily attainable by then, so I think they will play. Probably play in empty stadiums until a vaccine is available.

Need fans in stands.

Need test certificate to enter.
Must wear masks.
Check temps upon entering.

There may not be a vaccine, ever. There is no HIV vaccine. Controlled by therapeutics and mitigation.

HIV is not a good example.

Vaccines protect against disease, not infection
HIV is an infection until it progresses to stage 3, or AIDS. With most infections, vaccines buy the body more time to clear the infection on its own before disease occurs.

However, HIV has a long dormant period before it progresses to AIDS. During this period, the virus hides itself in the DNA of the person with the virus. The body can’t find and destroy all of the hidden copies of the virus to cure itself. So, a vaccine to buy more time won’t work with HIV.

Most vaccines protect against viruses that enter the body through the respiratory or gastrointestinal systems
More viruses enter the body in these two ways, so we have more experience addressing them. But HIV enters the body most often through genital surfaces or the blood. We have less experience protecting against viruses that enter the body in those ways.

I am optimistic about a vaccine.

The first case of H1N1 in the US were reported on April 15 2009. On December 18, 2009 the first 100 million doses of 2009 H1N1 vaccine were available for ordering.

https://www.healthline.com/health/hiv-aids/vaccine-how-close-are-we#obstacles

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-pandemic-timeline.html

I remember it being sooner than that.

I know for a fact that I took my kids to get h1n1 vaccines in October.

They then recommended a booster so I took them for a second round in early December.

I remember this all so well because I took them for that second shot the night before what would turn out to be the legendary Pike-to-Binns UC-Pitt game.

Sorry, I got it from that CDC link I posted. I missed the bullet point that said Oct 5 the first H1N1 vaccines doses were given in the US. Even better!

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 04-17-2020 05:20 PM

After listening to the governor of KY talk about the stepwise program to open society back up today... I rescind my statement.

The process requires ridiculous amounts of testing and ppe stores before you can even enter phase I. They can’t even get the damn swabs for the tests right now. They got 120 kits to test a state of over 4 million people. All healthcare facilities will be required to independently stock adequate stores of ppe. That means no handouts from the fed or the state. I am still wearing a cloth mask I got 2 weeks ago... i think we might have enough N95’s for each employee to use once.

This virus will die out by itself or college athletic depts will be bankrupt by the time we get to phase 1...

No football this fall! I will be posting replays of epic tecmo bowl matches on youtube. Not sure whether i should cash in all my stocks for hard currency yet...

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Yawny - 04-17-2020 10:05 PM

(04-17-2020 09:26 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(04-16-2020 04:35 PM)Dannyboy Wrote:  There damn well better be football. If it’s in an empty stadium fine, but enough is enough. We need to live our lives and get back to normal. 20 million and counting have just had their lives ruined by unemployment. At some point very soon it’s time to move forward with life. And I care for my two at risk parents in my house. I get the risk and how bad it is. But it’s bigger than me or them. We can’t wreck the lives of 350 million people to protect 200,000. Not over the long term.

Where are the "bodies in the streets" crowd to correct Dannyboy of his...

[INHALE]

... "moronic, baseless, nauseating, strawman, lost in the trees, headslappingly silly"...

position?

PS: By the way, you're exactly right Dannyboy.

Congrats, your arguments were so tiresome that you got everyone rational to start ignoring all the armchair epidemiologists in the thread.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatmark - 04-17-2020 10:52 PM

We're at 35,000 dead in just over a month. That's despite these unprecedented efforts to stop the spread. How anyone minimizes this continues to be beyond me.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 04-18-2020 08:17 AM

Well, at least I know how Trump feels. I've got my own little CNN following me around to twist, distort or completely misrepresent everything I've said on here.

What I say:

- There is clearly a vast minority demographic that is dying from this virus. Isolate THEM, not everyone else.
- The numbers predicted by health officials haven't even been close to what they actually are. They've created a panic needlessly.
- The shut down is destroying the country. Period.

What CNN says I say:

- THAR AINT NO SUCH THANG AS CORNOEE VIRUS.

***And when you point out their pack mentality hypocrisy about their lack of indignation over, say, about the same amount of people that had already died from the flu this year (and every year) ... or that banning cars would save 50,000 lives a years but you don't hear anyone calling for that... they just resort to default mode: WELL YER JUST STUUUUPID.

Because we all know, there's no way on earth that there's any merit whatsoever to anything I've ever said.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatmark - 04-18-2020 08:38 AM

The numbers predicted that were off were based on doing nothing.
Yea 2 million won't die if we socially distance like this forever. 35,000 in a month+ is unprecedented in modern times and again we've taken unprecedented actions. The numbers are well within the scope of prediction and we're not nearly through. How many will die ultimately? 50,000, 100,000? There's still a long way to go.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bruce Monnin - 04-18-2020 08:56 AM

Social distancing was only meant to slow the spread of the virus (so that hospitals would not be overcome), not reduce the number of people who eventually get it. At least, that's what we were originally told. You don't hear that much these days.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 04-18-2020 09:08 AM

We're banning cars?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 04-18-2020 09:31 AM

(04-17-2020 11:17 AM)cpawstoney Wrote:  
(04-17-2020 09:26 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(04-16-2020 04:35 PM)Dannyboy Wrote:  There damn well better be football. If it’s in an empty stadium fine, but enough is enough. We need to live our lives and get back to normal. 20 million and counting have just had their lives ruined by unemployment. At some point very soon it’s time to move forward with life. And I care for my two at risk parents in my house. I get the risk and how bad it is. But it’s bigger than me or them. We can’t wreck the lives of 350 million people to protect 200,000. Not over the long term.

Where are the "bodies in the streets" crowd to correct Dannyboy of his...

[INHALE]

... "moronic, baseless, nauseating, strawman, lost in the trees, headslappingly silly"...

position?

PS: By the way, you're exactly right Dannyboy.

Sometimes the needs of the few out weigh the needs of the many.

Not according to "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"...which I actually liked, even though most liked the sequel better.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 04-18-2020 09:33 AM

(04-18-2020 09:08 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  We're banning cars?

Just wait. That will come out in the new round of regulations.04-cheers

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 04-18-2020 09:36 AM

(04-18-2020 08:38 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  The numbers predicted that were off were based on doing nothing.
Yea 2 million won't die if we socially distance like this forever. 35,000 in a month+ is unprecedented in modern times and again we've taken unprecedented actions. The numbers are well within the scope of prediction and we're not nearly through. How many will die ultimately? 50,000, 100,000? There's still a long way to go.

Again, if you want to talk FACTS, you have to look at more than just "35,000 in a month". To just say that paints a broad stroke over the whole country... which is basically what has been done.

15,000 of those 35,000 were in New York. That's nearly half by my UC math. So the other 20,000 are in 49 states.

90% of the people that have died are over 60. The average age of people dying from it is 79.

Those are FACTS.

So if we would just use our heads and realize that if you're not over 60 and you're not in New York, your odds at dying from covid19 are pretty slim.

So if you get off our moral high horse and consider that we are killing our country more with each passing day, maybe you could bring yourself to realize that there is more to this than "35,000 in a month".

If someone called you and asked you what they should do because some poisonous copperhead snakes had gotten into their house and they were worried that their family was going to get bitten and die, what would you tell them to do?

a) Burn the house down. It will kill the snakes and they will no longer be a threat to you. You can worry about how you're going to survive the winter later.

or,

b) Just deal with the actual problem. You may have to knock out a wall or pull up some floorboards to do it, but your house will still be intact when you're done.

Right now the response to this issue has most definitely been "a".

So just keep striking those matches rather than taking an intelligent approach and isolating those most vulnerable... which no one to date has told me why that wouldn't work.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Ragpicker - 04-18-2020 09:37 AM

What seems to be happening now is that there are politicians, journalists, Facebook friends, and Banter posters who are actually rooting for the quarantine to continue. A significant amount of the population likes living a sheltered life. My guess 99% of those opinions come from people who still are getting a paycheck. I've read posts about how wonderful the family time has become. How great it is to drive to work with no traffic. How nice that the air is so much cleaner. And NETFLIX and the Lion show are just the bomb.

And shockingly some are rooting for more people to die...just to prove they were right. At a minimum their bleeding hearts still want to protect the aged with life failing issues from ever dying. Let's legislate the most frail from ever passing away. Ever. Because "you would think different if it was your grandma." Silly - avoiding death. No government regulations will ever solve that one.

My grandparents have been dead for many years. Smoking, alcohol, automobiles, and brain cancer all caused those deaths. Cigs and booze still being sold decades later. My mother nears 80 now with some health issues. And she is responsible enough to stay home, let my sister shop for her, and wash her hands after every time she walks her dogs. And she does all of this knowing she is at risk. And if she sat at this keyboard she would tell you that its not the waitress at her favorite restaurant responsibility to protect her. It's her's alone. And as a family we support her. Individual responsibility - not government control.

And if the Bearcats do find a way to play this Fall, Mom will choose to accept her risk, and still live life to its fullest. She will be at Nippert for at least one game, and definitely at the Bounce-House in Orlando. She would always tell me...this life is not a dress rehearsal - so go make your best life with the limited time you have. Some of you on here have met my Mom, and know she will be tailgating with a glass of her favorite red in hand. She loves her Bearcats!!!

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 04-18-2020 09:41 AM

The new plan to get the economy back up and running does include a stance on protecting the vulnerable. But it’s kinda up to them to “shelter in place” if they are living in the community. Hospital access and NH access will remain restricted. We do need to do a better job of screening our healthcare employees.

I wish we were doing it more like Germany but I don’t think logistically it works here.

This is gonna take forever and I am very worried about what the other side of this looks like. Everyone should be.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 04-18-2020 09:45 AM

Sounds like BearCatlett just destroyed you with FACTS and LOGIC

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatlawjd2 - 04-18-2020 10:52 AM

There is close to zero chance of a college football season this unless students are on campus. There is practically zero chance that colleges are going bring back students this fall without a vaccine.

Pro sports might play in empty stadiums in a closed biodome style environment but they are getting paid millions to play.

No level of education is going to risk illness or death to their students or athletes when they can take classes online and fulfill their core mission. No business is going to open up and risk the same if there is an option to work from home.

Stay off the right wing media, there is a medical crisis that has created economic hardship. The old economy died, its gone and never coming back. Every industry is going to have to act differently even after a vaccine. Online education, remote work, and eCommerce will rule the day. Standardized test, state licensing exams, conferences, and other older standards might be replaced with modern approaches that places modern communication tech to full use.

So no, I don't think fall college football happens this fall. Spring football or college basketball only happens with a vaccine. We only emerge from this crisis when the medical community finds a vaccine and treatment solutions. I repeat no education institution or large place of business is going to want liability if they have mass illness or death because they opened up before we had a medical solution.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 04-18-2020 11:04 AM

(04-18-2020 10:52 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  There is close to zero chance of a college football season this unless students are on campus. There is practically zero chance that colleges are going bring back students this fall without a vaccine.

Pro sports might play in empty stadiums in a closed biodome style environment but they are getting paid millions to play.

No level of education is going to risk illness or death to their students or athletes when they can take classes online and fulfill their core mission. No business is going to open up and risk the same if there is an option to work from home.

Stay off the right wing media, there is a medical crisis that has created economic hardship. The old economy died, its gone and never coming back. Every industry is going to have to act differently even after a vaccine. Online education, remote work, and eCommerce will rule the day. Standardized test, state licensing exams, conferences, and other older standards might be replaced with modern approaches that places modern communication tech to full use.

So no, I don't think fall college football happens this fall. Spring football or college basketball only happens with a vaccine. We only emerge from this crisis when the medical community finds a vaccine and treatment solutions. I repeat no education institution or large place of business is going to want liability if they have mass illness or death because they opened up before we had a medical solution.
Ok my problem with this is- what do you do about the tens of millions of individuals who can’t work from home? What is your solution? Must they not work because of a 1% chance of death? Would you relegate them to poverty and starvation?

And second off- there is no real guarantee that an effective treatment or vaccine is showing up in the next 12 months. What then? This problem continues to compound to astronomical numbers if we hide for that long.

I don’t think that anybody is denying that CoVID is a real problem. However, we can’t allow draconian measures to cause an even bigger problem. We have bought some time here, I guess. But eventually you have to sh@t or get off the pot.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 04-18-2020 11:09 AM

I would assume people will get back to work before the vaccine is created. But it will be much harder to have mass gatherings like you see in College Football. My hope is that students return and they simply play the games without fans.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 04-18-2020 11:36 AM

(04-18-2020 11:09 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I would assume people will get back to work before the vaccine is created. But it will be much harder to have mass gatherings like you see in College Football. My hope is that students return and they simply play the games without fans.

I have no problems with limiting unnecessary mass gatherings- sports, concerts, movie theaters, etc. I mean it sucks, but I think most people can deal with that. Maybe they can do sports with no crowds and televise them? I am going to be jonesin bad if we have nothing this fall. I am already beginning to doubt there will be youth sports this fall and I can’t really fathom what that means for my 2 soccer players and my cheerleader/gymnast. All this time we have spent developing those skills and right down the shitter. But you know... we will go on.

I have somewhat of a problem with keeping the universities online only. Adults should be able to get a decent education online but I feel its a substandard experience. I have a bigger problem with keeping elementary and high schools closed as I feel a huge population of at-risk children will get left behind.

But the idea we can continue this lockdown for months for everyday American jobs is preposterous.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Ragpicker - 04-18-2020 11:45 AM

Fall semester in most areas of the country will be open for student attendance. Sure, NYU/Columbia/Fordham may not open, Tulane, Detroit, Washington, possibly. I know that BC has already announced school will be online in the Fall.

But I also know that UC has a lawsuit filed against the University by students of DAAP for not refunding their tuition since remote learning does not work for many that require hands-on learning within a studio environment.

I fully expect OSU, Indiana, UK, Louisville, Pitt, Illinois, and our beloved UC to be open in September. They will open with new procedures and social distancing guidelines. But student life will continue with more hospitalizations from binge drinking than any virus. Corona in a can will be much more scary than the fear virus.

So the real big question is this.....
Do MLB, NFL, NBA, and NCAA FB & BB generate enough cash for everyone that personal distancing will go the way of selling cigarettes and alcohol? C'mon down! Enjoy your brew and a ballgame.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - icecat21 - 04-18-2020 11:54 AM

(04-18-2020 09:37 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  What seems to be happening now is that there are politicians, journalists, Facebook friends, and Banter posters who are actually rooting for the quarantine to continue. A significant amount of the population likes living a sheltered life. My guess 99% of those opinions come from people who still are getting a paycheck. I've read posts about how wonderful the family time has become. How great it is to drive to work with no traffic. How nice that the air is so much cleaner. And NETFLIX and the Lion show are just the bomb.

And shockingly some are rooting for more people to die...just to prove they were right. At a minimum their bleeding hearts still want to protect the aged with life failing issues from ever dying. Let's legislate the most frail from ever passing away. Ever. Because "you would think different if it was your grandma." Silly - avoiding death. No government regulations will ever solve that one.

My grandparents have been dead for many years. Smoking, alcohol, automobiles, and brain cancer all caused those deaths. Cigs and booze still being sold decades later. My mother nears 80 now with some health issues. And she is responsible enough to stay home, let my sister shop for her, and wash her hands after every time she walks her dogs. And she does all of this knowing she is at risk. And if she sat at this keyboard she would tell you that its not the waitress at her favorite restaurant responsibility to protect her. It's her's alone. And as a family we support her. Individual responsibility - not government control.

And if the Bearcats do find a way to play this Fall, Mom will choose to accept her risk, and still live life to its fullest. She will be at Nippert for at least one game, and definitely at the Bounce-House in Orlando. She would always tell me...this life is not a dress rehearsal - so go make your best life with the limited time you have. Some of you on here have met my Mom, and know she will be tailgating with a glass of her favorite red in hand. She loves her Bearcats!!!