CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Z-Fly - 08-10-2020 05:40 AM

(08-09-2020 01:16 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Had it controlled in mid june and let it slip. Half the country will feign surprise as to how this could happen. We'll hit 200k dead and pretend it doesn't matter. Im pessimistic about our country, about most of our futures.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You and I have gone back and forth a few times on herd immunity, and you've had a lot of good info. What's your current take on Sweden? Their numbers seem to look pretty decent right now. Is there something there that I am missing?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 08-10-2020 06:05 AM

(08-09-2020 09:51 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  
(08-09-2020 08:52 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Just finished up my son's baseball season yesterday.

Went 2-14. We just had no pitching. I was excited that my kid's hitting improved that he was the lead off hitter by he end of the year.

Other stats:

Fans all sat together. Zero masks worn. Kids all sat next to each other in the dugout. A couple of kid's grandparents came to every game. No social distancing at all.

NOBODY CAUGHT ANYTHING. NOBODY DIED BECAUSE WE PLAYED BASEBALL.

You probably all caught it and just didn’t know it.

I'm sure there are those out there that just cannot comprehend that life can go on as planned and not catch the plague.

Dr. Fauci would never agree to that, you know.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Z-Fly - 08-10-2020 06:17 AM

(08-10-2020 06:05 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(08-09-2020 08:52 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Just finished up my son's baseball season yesterday.

Went 2-14. We just had no pitching. I was excited that my kid's hitting improved that he was the lead off hitter by he end of the year.

Other stats:

Fans all sat together. Zero masks worn. Kids all sat next to each other in the dugout. A couple of kid's grandparents came to every game. No social distancing at all.

I'm sure there are those out there that just cannot comprehend that life can go on as planned and not catch the plague.

I've been hesitant to post this, but the season is almost over with anyways now. We've been playing slow-pitch softball elbow to elbow, since may. Mid June and Mid July there were Major tournaments where people flew in from all over the country and there were very large crowds. The Metro finished up a few weeks back and the place was packed nightly. No masks. No distancing. Nothing.

I don't know what that means, honestly. It's at least interesting.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rosewater - 08-10-2020 07:03 AM

Have worked for an ice cream vendor for the last six months. Since we are going back to school, I will give up that job to continue my teaching duties. We deliver to large groceries like Kroger and Walmart along with chains like Family Dollar. People that work on the front line do not take the mask serious. We have been told how threatening it is, While we have done our job for half a year. Most consider the mask as a nuisance.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 08-10-2020 07:06 AM

(08-10-2020 06:17 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  

Other stats:

I've been hesitant to post this, but the season is almost over with anyways now. We've been playing slow-pitch softball elbow to elbow, since may. Mid June and Mid July there were Major tournaments where people flew in from all over the country and there were very large crowds. The Metro finished up a few weeks back and the place was packed nightly. No masks. No distancing. Nothing.

I'll tell you what it means.

Here are two first hand testimonies that the "gotta shut it down" crowd is full of crap.

Just like nobody from Xavier was affected by their trip to play a BE game right in the midst of craphole central, NYC.

But nobody ever reports this stuff. All you ever hear is CASES, CASES, CASES!!!

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 08-10-2020 07:30 AM

Hell, we have a few thousand drunk boaters from all over the country on the Torch Lake Sandbar every day of the summer packed in nut to butt. No masks. No social distancing. Nobody gives a damn.

There was a hyper freak out for about a minute when a few people allegedly got the ‘rona over the 4th from being out there but have not heard a peep about it since.

Google a photo. The world is ending crowd will likely clutch their pearls and faint.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Z-Fly - 08-10-2020 07:50 AM

(08-10-2020 07:06 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(08-10-2020 06:17 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  

Other stats:

I'll tell you what it means.

Here are two first hand testimonies that the "gotta shut it down" crowd is full of crap.

Just like nobody from Xavier was affected by their trip to play a BE game right in the midst of craphole central, NYC.

But nobody ever reports this stuff. All you ever hear is CASES, CASES, CASES!!!

Correct. It's one of a few options, as far as I can tell;

- A lot of us got it, and didn't know it.
- We were/are extremely lucky.
- It's not as contagious as it is being reported.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 08-10-2020 07:56 AM

(08-10-2020 05:40 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  You and I have gone back and forth a few times on herd immunity, and you've had a lot of good info. What's your current take on Sweden? Their numbers seem to look pretty decent right now. Is there something there that I am missing?

It's hard to make a judgement now because there could still be additional flare ups. That said, Sweden has had one of the highest mortality rates in the world at 565.9 per million, compared to 48.2 and 60.0 for Norway and Finland, respectively. For total cases, Sweden had .0081 cases per million compared to .00177 and .00137 for Norway and Finland, respectively.

You'd hope that Sweden has gotten the worst out of the way, but currently they have 198 new cases and ~1 death per day (7 day average) compared to 49 new cases ~0 deaths per day for Norway and 18 new cases and ~1 death per day for Finland.

So if the pandemic ended today Sweden would've had 10x as many deaths as their neighbors, combined.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Z-Fly - 08-10-2020 08:09 AM

(08-10-2020 07:56 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(08-10-2020 05:40 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  You and I have gone back and forth a few times on herd immunity, and you've had a lot of good info. What's your current take on Sweden? Their numbers seem to look pretty decent right now. Is there something there that I am missing?

It's hard to make a judgement now because there could still be additional flare ups. That said, Sweden has had one of the highest mortality rates in the world at 565.9 per million, compared to 48.2 and 60.0 for Norway and Finland, respectively. For total cases, Sweden had .0081 cases per million compared to .00177 and .00137 for Norway and Finland, respectively.

You'd hope that Sweden has gotten the worst out of the way, but currently they have 198 new cases and ~1 death per day (7 day average) compared to 49 new cases ~0 deaths per day for Norway and 18 new cases and ~1 death per day for Finland.

So if the pandemic ended today Sweden would've had 10x as many deaths as their neighbors, combined.

Could it be argued that Sweden is at herd immunity, and the other two countries are still crawling to it?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 08-10-2020 08:13 AM

(08-10-2020 07:30 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Hell, we have a few thousand drunk boaters from all over the country on the Torch Lake Sandbar every day of the summer packed in nut to butt. No masks. No social distancing. Nobody gives a damn.

I was out boating with a crew out on Tennessee this weekend. The difference in covid culture between Ohio and TN is night and day. In Ohio you wear a mask to every resteraunt, bar, whatever. In TN they were angry that kids are going to be required to wear masks in school (I didn't have the heart to tell them about football).

But, that's pretty much emblematic of the entire south since mid-june. The small towns didn't get hit had back in April and May and got complacent. I believe it was Dr. Birx who said their concern since mid june is that rural america is finally getting hit hard.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 08-10-2020 08:15 AM

(08-10-2020 08:09 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  Could it be argued that Sweden is at herd immunity, and the other two countries are still crawling to it?

I'm not sure how you'd argue that given that Norway and Finland still have far lower daily cases and deaths than Sweden.

As a note, Sweden has about the same population size as Finland and Norway combined. So I'm trying to give per capita info.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bww - 08-10-2020 08:21 AM

(08-10-2020 08:13 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(08-10-2020 07:30 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Hell, we have a few thousand drunk boaters from all over the country on the Torch Lake Sandbar every day of the summer packed in nut to butt. No masks. No social distancing. Nobody gives a damn.

I was out boating with a crew out on Tennessee this weekend. The difference in covid culture between Ohio and TN is night and day. In Ohio you wear a mask to every resteraunt, bar, whatever. In TN they were angry that kids are going to be required to wear masks in school (I didn't have the heart to tell them about football).

But, that's pretty much emblematic of the entire south since mid-june. The small towns didn't get hit had back in April and May and got complacent. I believe it was Dr. Birx who said their concern since mid june is that rural america is finally getting hit hard.

What about Michigan?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcat 1985 - 08-10-2020 08:23 AM

And when they do, it will be brutal. Nearest hospital beds dozens of miles away. Few ICU units and ventilators. Grossly underserved when looking at doctors per capita. Combine all of that with many of the same factors that afflict poor inner city neighborhoods (obesity, diabetes, lack of health insurance, drug abuse), and it will be a tragedy.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 08-10-2020 08:35 AM

(08-10-2020 08:23 AM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  

And when they do, it will be brutal. Nearest hospital beds dozens of miles away. Few ICU units and ventilators. Grossly underserved when looking at doctors per capita. Combine all of that with many of the same factors that afflict poor inner city neighborhoods (obesity, diabetes, lack of health insurance, drug abuse), and it will be a tragedy.

Funny how its always that next wave that's going to have the bodies piled in the streets.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 08-10-2020 08:36 AM

(08-10-2020 08:21 AM)bww Wrote:  

What about Michigan?

Crazy eyed governor up here likes to pump out 5 new executive orders a week to more aggressively combat a virus that is impacting the state less and less. Closer Biden gets to picking a VP candidate the crazier her EOs get.

She looks the other way on boaters at the sand bar because she has 2 lake houses up here and her family boats. She’s good at rules for thee, not me.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bww - 08-10-2020 08:43 AM

(08-10-2020 08:36 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  She’s good at rules for thee, not me.

Gotta love the ruling class!

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 08-10-2020 09:14 AM

(08-10-2020 08:35 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(08-10-2020 08:23 AM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  And when they do, it will be brutal. Nearest hospital beds dozens of miles away. Few ICU units and ventilators. Grossly underserved when looking at doctors per capita. Combine all of that with many of the same factors that afflict poor inner city neighborhoods (obesity, diabetes, lack of health insurance, drug abuse), and it will be a tragedy.

Funny how its always that next wave that's going to have the bodies piled in the streets.

Well, it's actually this "wave" where the bodies are piling up. As mentioned, the rural parts of the country didn't get hit back in April, May. But they are getting hit now, and that's the largest reason why mid-June to now has been so bad and, you guessed it, why college football is teetering on the brink:

[Image: EfApgCEUEAIJSVu?format=jpg&name=900x900]

My hope is that this, finally, is the worst of it and we can play ball in the spring. But, remember, that's pretty much exactly what we were saying back in May...

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 08-10-2020 09:19 AM

(08-10-2020 08:21 AM)bww Wrote:  What about Michigan?

Pretty much have performed in-line with most of the midwest. Got hit in April/May, experienced a slight uptick in the past month or so, but have seemed to get things under control.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 08-10-2020 09:41 AM

(08-10-2020 08:43 AM)bww Wrote:  

Oh she is the Queen of it. She had an order that nobody was allowed to travel to their vacation home and then her daughter graduates from high school and wanted a big party up here on the lake...she rescinded that one the weekend of the party.

Last week she passed an executive order that no outdoor groups could exceed 250 and then only 2 days later she attended an event with 800 people. She got all chippy when the media and constituents started asking WTF?

She is a dumpster fire.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - OKIcat - 08-10-2020 09:56 AM

(08-10-2020 09:41 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(08-10-2020 08:43 AM)bww Wrote:  

Oh she is the Queen of it. She had an order that nobody was allowed to travel to their vacation home and then her daughter graduates from high school and wanted a big party up here on the lake...she rescinded that one the weekend of the party.

Last week she passed an executive order that no outdoor groups could exceed 250 and then only 2 days later she attended an event with 800 people. She got all chippy when the media and constituents started asking WTF?

She is a dumpster fire.

Was it also true that earlier this spring she said you could take your boat out--if it wasn't motorized? I wasn't sure if that was true or just a bad punchline. And if true, what was her rationale?