CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rtaylor - 07-24-2020 11:31 AM

(07-24-2020 10:05 AM)MickMack Wrote:  
(07-24-2020 09:17 AM)namrag Wrote:  
(07-24-2020 08:51 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  It's insane what an obvious fake that was
I saw the post and thought '100% that's fake'. Did a quick Google search and confirmed it. Take 2 seconds to think people.

Are you childish enough to assume that only conservatives post false memes?

I see false memes from the left daily. I just don't go running to this board to post them as if they mean much of anything.

Gaslight Mark is on a roll this morning....

This is really just a sad, childish response. Do you know why no one is talking about false memes posted by the nefarious liberals? Because no one posted one here. This discusssion exists because someone here - on this board - posted a meme that is demonstrably false. And instead of just acknowleding that it is false and moving on, you went out of your way to resort to petty, childish name calling, littered with a healthy dose of whataboutism. In other words you went out of your way to be a dick to Mark - a guy guilty of one crime: pointing out the truth. Congrats.

Yeah. What he said.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 07-24-2020 11:38 AM

(07-24-2020 09:06 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I get my news from Bearcatlett

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That's two words, Cata Clysmo.

In other headlines...

I'm still waiting on the first person I know to get covid19, although the world population is drowning in the deadly virus. Or at least that's what I hear on TV.

I wear my mask from the door to the table at B-Dub's. I wear my mask from the door to the treadmill at the gym. Countless lives have been saved because of ME.

At today's press conference, Joe Biden announced that his running mate will be Hubert Humphrey and that he will end the Vietnam war as soon as he's elected.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Edgebrookjeff - 07-24-2020 12:54 PM

(04-06-2020 06:52 AM)doss2 Wrote:  Will it be a full season or perhaps abbreviated to conference games only to allow a delayed start? Delay the start to late September?

Yes I think the season may be somewhat abbreviated. It's baffling why the good folks in Oxford have been so quiet about their season, except for the fact that the battle is in Oxford this year and if they can afford to cancel it.

In the end, money rules.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - namrag - 07-24-2020 01:29 PM

(07-24-2020 08:51 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  It's insane what an obvious fake that was
I saw the post and thought '100% that's fake'. Did a quick Google search and confirmed it. Take 2 seconds to think people.

I see false memes from the left daily. I just don't go running to this board to post them as if they mean much of anything.

This is really just a sad, childish response. Do you know why no one is talking about false memes posted by the nefarious liberals? Because no one posted one here. This discusssion exists because someone here - on this board - posted a meme that is demonstrably false. And instead of just acknowleding that it is false and moving on, you went out of your way to resort to petty, childish name calling, littered with a healthy dose of whataboutism. In other words you went out of your way to be a dick to Mark - a guy guilty of one crime: pointing out the truth. Congrats.

Here's some context, not that I expect you to care:

"That's how the right wing disinformation machine works. Fake posts get circulated quickly. It's much easier to argue against a far fetched version of the other side than the actual positions of the other side. They've been so conditioned to see the other side as the enemy that they don't even think to check something as obviously fake as that tweet."

"only the rightwing disinformation machine...", "they've been so conditioned to see...." is not inflammatory (and false) at all, is it?

And it was purposely used to attempt to discredit anything that he labels rightwing. Nice ploy. I don't care if you dislike me rejecting it.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearhawkeye - 07-24-2020 02:04 PM

(07-24-2020 05:21 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Lmfao.

You will believe anything some right wing lunatic posts.

This is a fake my man.

My search didn't find it, but yes I fell for a fake and have deleted it with my apologies. But don't tell me you knew from the get go that somebody with her history of stupid comments wouldn't say something like that. I just should have used the liberal Bill Maher's similar quote instead. (I encourage you to fact check and report back the results! Bet ya won't though 03-wink )

I'm shocked at how much mileage you all think my mistake got for you guys, but I guess when you're constantly proven wrong it's nice to finally get a point on the board. I get it. Nobody should be miserable all the time so go ahead and enjoy it!

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - UCGrad1992 - 07-24-2020 02:16 PM

Stay tuned in today gents...

Quote:The likelihood of the 2020 college football season being played this fall just entered another DEFCON level. Call it what you want -- a tipping point, high alert, Judgment Day.

On Friday, the NCAA Board of Governors is scheduled to consider voting on whether to cancel fall championships. One source told CBS Sports that is the only agenda item for the NCAA's highest governing body.

In essence, Friday could become that go/no go moment for the college football season.

While the vote -- in the moment -- would have no direct or immediate impact on the FBS, the implications of such a decision are significant, layered, complicated and maybe tragic.

While the season probably isn't going to go away Friday, it soon could. Through that board -- mostly presidents and chancellors from all NCAA divisions -- the association has more leverage than ever over major-college football, a sport of which it has largely lost oversight.

The FBS -- particularly the Power Five conferences -- has mostly been autonomous from the NCAA for years. The NCAA doesn't stage an FBS championship. That is controlled by the 130 teams, their conferences, their commissioners, ESPN and the College Football Playoff.

With Friday's vote, the board could win back some of that lost turf while backing the FBS football into a corner.

That corner? Well, how would it look if the NCAA isn't staging fall championships in 22 sports but those 130 FBS programs decided to soldier onward, basically on their own?

Answer: not good.

It's tremendously bad optics, for starters. Several conferences and teams in lower divisions have already decided not to play at sports at all in the fall.

Meanwhile, for months, the Power Five and the rest of FBS have been balancing the "need" to play -- and earn the revenue that comes from those games -- with the wisdom of playing at all amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The players are still, after all, amateurs with little say in how they're returning to play in the fog of COVID-19.

"We are watching a slow-motion disaster," Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) said Thursday during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing.

Perhaps. Some of the game's power brokers in the FBS have aggressively urged the board not to cancel fall sports because they know how it would look.

West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons -- current chair of the NCAA Football Oversight Committee -- wrote to the board this week: "Feedback has consistently indicated that preserving a football season in the fall in some format is strongly preferred."

Yes, but at what cost? FBS football had already been moving, in fits and starts, toward an ultimate decision that may come next week or two.

However, the Power Five has shown a willingness to kick the can down the road before it has to delay, postpone or cancel the season. A late start, two-semester football, even football in Spring 2021 are on the table.

Continuing to swim upstream...

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - MickMack - 07-24-2020 02:23 PM

(07-24-2020 01:29 PM)namrag Wrote:  

"That's how the right wing disinformation machine works. Fake posts get circulated quickly. It's much easier to argue against a far fetched version of the other side than the actual positions of the other side. They've been so conditioned to see the other side as the enemy that they don't even think to check something as obviously fake as that tweet."

"only the rightwing disinformation machine...", "they've been so conditioned to see...." is not inflammatory (and false) at all, is it?

And it was purposely used to attempt to discredit anything that he labels rightwing. Nice ploy. I don't care if you dislike me rejecting it.

I have no problem with you rejecting his premise, at least to the extent you're saying it happens on both sides of the aisle. In fact, I agree if that's the point you're making. But he wasn't discrediting it because it was right wing. He was discrediting it because a two second google search showed him that it was false. Left, right and otherwise, we're all being hit with an insane amount of outright false and misleading information. And Mark is right - many have been conditioned to just accept what they see as true. Happens on both the left and right. I've fact checked as many of my friends on the left as I have on the right. I don't view this as a left or right problem. I view this as an American citizen problem. We should all be against blatantly false stuff, no matter where it's found and no matter how much we'd like to believe it. In any event you and Mark both seem like decent dudes. There's no reason in the world we can't chat about things like this in a civill manner.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatmark - 07-24-2020 02:26 PM

(07-24-2020 02:04 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  

This is a fake my man.

My search didn't find it, but yes I fell for a fake and have deleted it with my apologies. But don't tell me you knew from the get go that somebody with her history of stupid comments wouldn't say something like that. I just should have used the liberal Bill Maher's similar quote instead. (I encourage you to fact check and report back the results! Bet ya won't though 03-wink )

I'm shocked at how much mileage you all think my mistake got for you guys, but I guess when you're constantly proven wrong it's nice to finally get a point on the board. I get it. Nobody should be miserable all the time so go ahead and enjoy it!

Maybe stick with "I screwed up," without the "you guys are constantly 'proven' wrong."

A little humility never hurt anyone.

Or maybe not, just find another right wing fake and "prove" me wrong again.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - MickMack - 07-24-2020 02:31 PM

This is a fake my man.

I'm not a big fan of that one, probably irrationally so. Interestingly it's one I see almost exclusively on the left or from Trump haters.

Me: Trump didn't say that.
Them: Yeah, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.
Me: Yeah, but he didn't.

Get that one all the time from my wife, who is a registered Republican but hates Trump. She won't watch anything involving him and can't understand why I do. Well, (1) love him or hate him, he's the President and why wouldn't I be interested in what he has to say; and (2) if I go to any other source they're going to tell me how to feel about what he said and I'd rather draw my own conclusions.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - namrag - 07-24-2020 02:39 PM

(07-24-2020 02:23 PM)MickMack Wrote:  

I have no problem with you rejecting his premise, at least to the extent you're saying it happens on both sides of the aisle. In fact, I agree if that's the point you're making. But he wasn't discrediting it because it was right wing. He was discrediting it because a two second google search showed him that it was false. Left, right and otherwise, we're all being hit with an insane amount of outright false and misleading information. And Mark is right - many have been conditioned to just accept what they see as true. Happens on both the left and right. I've fact checked as many of my friends on the left as I have on the right. I don't view this as a left or right problem. I view this as an American citizen problem. We should all be against blatantly false stuff, no matter where it's found and no matter how much we'd like to believe it. In any event you and Mark both seem like decent dudes. There's no reason in the world we can't chat about things like this in a civill manner.

Thanks for that.

I am with you.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearhawkeye - 07-24-2020 02:45 PM

(07-24-2020 02:26 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

This is a fake my man.

Maybe stick with "I screwed up," without the "you guys are constantly 'proven' wrong."

A little humility never hurt anyone.

Or maybe not, just find another right wing fake and "prove" me wrong again.

So what is this - around 7 posts by you celebrating my one admitted and now corrected mistake? I admit I've lost count so don't hold me to that number lest you think you won a 2nd fact check to gloriously revel in. But if you think it doesn't show how desperate you are to get even the tiniest of victories on minutia, you might want to reconsider.

As far as you advising me on humility, obvious irony and lack of self-awareness aside, I don't mind if you have one on me every so often as I've already said. But this redundant show of ecstacy is no longer a good look for you I'm afraid.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatmark - 07-24-2020 02:46 PM

(07-24-2020 02:45 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  So what is this - around 7 posts by you celebrating my one since corrected mistake? I admit I've lost count so don't hold me to that lest you think you won a 2nd fact check to gloriously revel in. But if you think it doesn't show how desperate you are to get even the tiniest of victories, well you might just be fooling yourself.

Like I said, I don't mind if you have one on me every so often - but this redundant show of ecstacy is no longer a good look for you I'm afraid.

Nobody is celebrating anything. One of the more depressing things to me in modern politics is how quickly people traffic in this nonsense, fake stuff. This isn't a celebration. Quite the opposite.

EDIT: I don't know how many times I've responded to another poster in this thread. Those aren't celebrations either. It's discussion. There is no reveling. There is only seeking to make sure information is accurate.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearhawkeye - 07-24-2020 03:13 PM

(07-24-2020 02:46 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(07-24-2020 02:45 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  So what is this - around 7 posts by you celebrating my one since corrected mistake? I admit I've lost count so don't hold me to that lest you think you won a 2nd fact check to gloriously revel in. But if you think it doesn't show how desperate you are to get even the tiniest of victories, well you might just be fooling yourself.

Like I said, I don't mind if you have one on me every so often - but this redundant show of ecstacy is no longer a good look for you I'm afraid.

Nobody is celebrating anything. One of the more depressing things to me in modern politics is how quickly people traffic in this nonsense, fake stuff. This isn't a celebration. Quite the opposite.

EDIT: I don't know how many times I've responded to another poster in this thread. Those aren't celebrations either. It's discussion. There is no reveling. There is only seeking to make sure information is accurate.

C'mon man read your posts again. You love that you finally caught me in a mistake (albeit an impertinent one) and you want to crow about it. Again and again. Over and over. So you try turning a minor error into some sort of great symbolic truth you've uncovered. I am listening to you! I get it, I really do. The opportunity is a long time coming and exceedingly rare so you want to get your money's worth. Heck, I might be tempted to do the same if I were in your shoes. But don't throw all your credibility out by denying it now.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatmark - 07-24-2020 04:13 PM

(07-24-2020 03:13 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  C'mon man read your posts again. You love that you finally caught me in a mistake (albeit an impertinent one) and you want to crow about it. ... I get it, I really do. The opportunity is a long time coming and exceedingly rare so you want to get your money's worth.

I think you may have a bit of a narcissism complex. It's a message board. You post, people respond. Others post, people respond.

You post something smart I agree and compliment you (and have done so in the past). You eat the trash, well i post about that too.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - UCGrad1992 - 07-24-2020 05:28 PM

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - QSECOFR - 07-24-2020 06:02 PM

I sense that there will no 2020 football season. There may be some cobbled together P5 games, but not a real season.

I’m starting to think that 20-21 basketball season is in jeopardy as well.

I have no information to back this up so I may be 180 degrees off.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rtaylor - 07-24-2020 07:06 PM

This is a fake my man.

So, a non apology, apology, by the boards biggest, most brainiest, smart guy to ever post on this forum. Good stuff.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 07-24-2020 07:54 PM

I totally agree with your post. I watch CNN or MS NBC and there is so much accentuation for the liberal slant. I watch Fox News and it’s the same thing for the right. News is so nuanced anymore depending upon the source, it is rarely just the facts. It’s someone’s opinion of the facts to the point you can hardly believe anything without fact checking. Everyone is editorializing it. It stresses me out and I can’t stand it. I don’t know where to go to get “just the facts” any more.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - MickMack - 07-24-2020 08:06 PM

(07-24-2020 07:54 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  
(07-24-2020 09:17 AM)namrag Wrote:  Are you childish enough to assume that only conservatives post false memes?

I totally agree with your post. I watch CNN or MS NBC and there is so much accentuation for the liberal slant. I watch Fox News and it’s the same thing for the right. News is so nuanced anymore depending upon the source, it is rarely just the facts. It’s someone’s opinion of the facts to the point you can hardly believe anything without fact checking. Everyone is editorializing it. It stresses me out and I can’t stand it. I don’t know where to go to get “just the facts” any more.

Yeah, it's frustrating as hell. Whenever possible, I try my best to go to the source. This is a legitimately scary issue that's only going to get worse with things like deep fakes. We should all be demanding better.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - MickMack - 07-24-2020 08:10 PM

(07-24-2020 06:02 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  I sense that there will no 2020 football season. There may be some cobbled together P5 games, but not a real season.

I’m starting to think that 20-21 basketball season is in jeopardy as well.

I have no information to back this up so I may be 180 degrees off.

I understand the universities are in a much different situation than the NFL. But I still view the risk to a lot of these kids as generally low. So why not try it and shut it down if things go wrong? I think they genuinely want to play.