CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rosewater - 07-13-2020 06:33 PM

It is good to see a larger number of people are coming around.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 07-13-2020 09:54 PM

(07-13-2020 05:10 PM)SeniorBearcat Wrote:  03-banghead 7 minutes into the nightly news on CBS and they referenced the 3.3M Americans with COVID-19 per Johns Hopkins (after talking about the rising cases in Lucas county)...why not mention the 1M+ recoveries per Johns Hopkins?

Feel good news doesn’t freak people out or make them angry. Fear and being ticked off drive clicks and increase ratings. And that is the nice version. The not nice version is that it doesn’t fit the narrative.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rtaylor - 07-13-2020 10:37 PM

(07-13-2020 09:54 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(07-13-2020 05:10 PM)SeniorBearcat Wrote:  03-banghead 7 minutes into the nightly news on CBS and they referenced the 3.3M Americans with COVID-19 per Johns Hopkins (after talking about the rising cases in Lucas county)...why not mention the 1M+ recoveries per Johns Hopkins?

Feel good news doesn’t freak people out or make them angry. Fear and being ticked off drive clicks and increase ratings. And that is the nice version. The not nice version is that it doesn’t fit the narrative.

I am so confused, oh Swami. Why are ICU beds in Arizona at 90% capacity and Hospitals being overwhelmed in Miami? Fake news? It's a deep state hoax? Nothing to see here? Please drop some more knowledge on me.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 07-13-2020 11:20 PM

(07-13-2020 04:53 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(07-13-2020 04:10 PM)converrl Wrote:  
(07-13-2020 10:26 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(07-13-2020 08:13 AM)converrl Wrote:  
(07-12-2020 08:44 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Well, if an applicant is going from a community college to Med School, they're not getting in, I'll give you that 03-lmfao

And if a poster on this board isn't keeping up on the latest trends in higher education they'll probably render an uninformed opinion 03-lmfao

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2019/04/12/community-college-four-year-degrees-are-smart-policy-not-mission-creep-opinion

Oh believe me, I know all about that, as I'm our College's institutional liaison for all on-boarding students from Owens Community College. Here I was, thinking we were speaking about the present, not 10-15 years down the road....then again, most of your posts on here are stuck in 1997, so I'm not quite sure what time travel device to use in order to frame the vast majority of what you say.

Ummm...that would be...the present!!!

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2018/04/26/more-community-colleges-are-offering-bachelors-degrees

03-lmfao

They're filling a hole left by the For-Profits that fell to pieces after the student debt crisis hit a head and killed their cash flow. None of the "degrees" offered at the moment would be acceptable for entry into a professional program at an accredited institution, mainly because none of those degrees are accredited in themselves. My initial comment did not say that degrees from CCs didnt exist, just that they were not applicable to the hypothetical scenario you laid out.

Not according to this source:

https://www.communitycollegereview.com/blog/is-a-community-college-bachelors-degree-a-smart-choice

They exist NOW, and are applicable to the scenario I laid out. Bottom line--the source of the degree will have an impact on your admission to a higher level program--whether it is Med School, Nursing, or Grad School.

Plain and simple. No argument here, just facts. Now, what you do with your applicants is your purview, but that doesn't make it rote for the rest of the country.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Z-Fly - 07-14-2020 06:24 AM

(07-13-2020 10:37 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  

I am so confused, oh Swami. Why are ICU beds in Arizona at 90% capacity and Hospitals being overwhelmed in Miami? Fake news? It's a deep state hoax? Nothing to see here? Please drop some more knowledge on me.

That's a good question. I would be interested in those numbers. How many of those are covid beds? I saw one report that had had some parts of Ohio were around 80%, but only 10% of those were due to covid. Please don't take this as fact. If anyone has access to the real numbers, please share. Also, Does anyone know what is normal capacity?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rosewater - 07-14-2020 06:58 AM

(07-14-2020 06:24 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  

That's a good question. I would be interested in those numbers. How many of those are covid beds? I saw one report that had had some parts of Ohio were around 80%, but only 10% of those were due to covid. Please don't take this as fact. If anyone has access to the real numbers, please share. Also, Does anyone know what is normal capacity?

Number of Icu bed capacity is a flutuating number. Hospitals can open up wings inside their current structures. https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/houston-hospitals-ceo-provide-update-on-bed-capacity-amid-surge-in-covid-19-cases/285-a5178aa2-a710-49db-a107-1fd36cdf4cf3

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 07-14-2020 06:58 AM

Well, Z, to answer part of that, normal operating capacity of an ICU is designed to be fairly high. They are designed to operate efficiently towards the higher spectrum of capacity on a normal flow and staffing rate. It’s a business, after all.

Hospitals have designated floors, wards, whatever you want to call them that are set up to be quickly converted to ICU use in the event of mass casualty, etc. When you used to hear more about mass casualty exercises, this is part of what the training entails. We used to do this regularly.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Z-Fly - 07-14-2020 08:29 AM

As always, I appreciate the information. It's very eye opening. They like to throw around the 80% number. It sounds like it doesn't mean exactly what they make it out to be.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatmark - 07-14-2020 09:27 AM

What's been truly amazing is watching the rest of the world in on this vast liberal media / deep state COVID-19 conspiracy. Reporting drastically lower numbers than us as they get their economies going because they say they actually listened to the experts. Banning US citizens from the EU and many other countries abroad because of our inability to address it. This thing is truly global. The reach of liberals and the deep state is large.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 07-14-2020 09:42 AM

Elective surgeries and non-elective surgeries, are now being performed after an extended delay.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Z-Fly - 07-14-2020 09:48 AM

(07-14-2020 09:27 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  What's been truly amazing is watching the rest of the world in on this vast liberal media / deep state COVID-19 conspiracy. Reporting drastically lower numbers than us as they get their economies going because they say they actually listened to the experts. Banning US citizens from the EU and many other countries abroad because of our inability to address it. This thing is truly global. The reach of liberals and the deep state is large.

Could it be argued that we are over reporting it? For example counting Anti-body testing as new cases. Honest question.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - RealDeal - 07-14-2020 09:56 AM

Incompotence and mis information have been the one thing that's been bipartisan throughout this whole mess. People should be skeptical of anything coming from either side. The sad thing is there shouldn't be sides when it comes to health issues. The only things I believe for certain is there is a contagious illness circulating and people need to take extra precautions while in public and that the government doesn't have the right to restrict the freedom of individual liberties of citizens and businesses except in imminent danger. I think that existed in March-April but power hungry politicians of both parties extended it longer than they should have been able to. I am not denying the virus but people should be free to take the risks that they deem appropriate and if businesses do not implement measures to make their customers feel safe then they'll lose their customers. Shouldn't be the government's role to mandate it.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-14-2020 09:57 AM

Sure, but you'd have to offer a good explenation as to why the US would overreport it and other countries wouldn't. I think most here would agree that if the Trump administration could tout lower numbers, they would.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 07-14-2020 09:58 AM

(07-14-2020 09:27 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  What's been truly amazing is watching the rest of the world in on this vast liberal media / deep state COVID-19 conspiracy. Reporting drastically lower numbers than us as they get their economies going because they say they actually listened to the experts. Banning US citizens from the EU and many other countries abroad because of our inability to address it. This thing is truly global. The reach of liberals and the deep state is large.

What's the status of those mass graves that the Iranians were digging?

Do the satellites not go there anymore?

Just wondering.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatmark - 07-14-2020 09:59 AM

(07-14-2020 09:48 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  

Could it be argued that we are over reporting it? For example counting Anti-body testing as new cases. Honest question.

The simple answer is it can be counted toward probable cases if there are other confirming factors (exposure to those who were positive, serious symptoms linked to COVID, etc.), but not toward confirmed cases.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/local-coronavirus-news/are-antibody-tests-included-in-the-states-reporting-yes-and-no

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Z-Fly - 07-14-2020 09:59 AM

(07-14-2020 09:57 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Sure, but you'd have to offer a good explenation as to why the US would overreport it and other countries wouldn't. I think most here would agree that if the Trump administration could tout lower numbers, they would.

I don't think they are Trump's numbers to report. Isn't that the whole conspiracy?

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-14-2020 10:01 AM

(07-14-2020 09:59 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  
(07-14-2020 09:57 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Sure, but you'd have to offer a good explenation as to why the US would overreport it and other countries wouldn't. I think most here would agree that if the Trump administration could tout lower numbers, they would.

I don't think they are Trump's numbers to report. Isn't that the whole conspiracy?

We all feel pretty confident that the Chinese are underreporting it to escape blame for initial onslaught and regain control of their economic output. So on the other end of the spectrum, what practical benefit does the US gain from over reporting? The best I've heard is that Medicare incentives reward greater covid diangostics for hospitals, but those guidelines were written by bipartisan leaders in conjunction with the White House (CARE act). If it's a liberal conspiracy, the right is sure playing their part.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - RealDeal - 07-14-2020 10:02 AM

Garbage in, garbage out?

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-hospitals-confirm-mistakes-in-floridas-covid-19-report

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Z-Fly - 07-14-2020 10:04 AM

(07-14-2020 10:01 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(07-14-2020 09:59 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  

We all feel pretty confident that the Chinese are underreporting it to escape blame for initial onslaught and regain control of their economic output. So on the other end of the spectrum, what practical benefit does the US gain from over reporting? The best I've heard is that Medicare incentives reward greater covid diangostics for hospitals, but those guidelines were written by bipartisan leaders in conjunction with the White House (CARE act). If it's a liberal conspiracy, the right is sure playing their part.

I think what you are referring to was an unintended consequence due to the stimulus.

The gain, in theory, would be to make Trump look inept. I'm not saying I buy into that.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-14-2020 10:06 AM

Nothing about that would explain why it would be different in Florida but not the rest of the world. Florida's governor is a Republican.

Conspiracies are fun when they concern JFK and Big Foot. But for real world issues, they just misrepresent questions and uncertainty as answers and confidence.