CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 07-09-2020 10:43 AM

(07-09-2020 09:58 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 08:04 PM)MickMack Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 07:47 PM)doss2 Wrote:  The Ivy schools have low attendance and little TV money. So for them no big deal.

I'd think it's a big deal for the kids though.

Big deal for the folks scratching a $49,653 annual check (Harvard full time tuition without fees, room and board) to watch videos of classes from the couch...could just enroll at the local community college and save 40k a year for the same experience.

Goes for UC too. If classes are remote not sure why anyone would pay for the Ferrari when you are only getting a Vespa.

Well--there is a difference in course content and academic rigor..also, for a lot of these places, the credits don't necessarily transfer.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-09-2020 10:47 AM

With the new ICE guidelines you'll start to a see a bunch of schools forced into manufacturing curriculums to meet the guidelines of a hybrid model. Given how difficult it's been for professors thus far, I can't imagine how much of burden they'll face trying to concoct some new courseloads in the next 1.5 months.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 07-09-2020 11:07 AM

(07-09-2020 10:43 AM)converrl Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 07:47 PM)doss2 Wrote:  The Ivy schools have low attendance and little TV money. So for them no big deal.

Big deal for the folks scratching a $49,653 annual check (Harvard full time tuition without fees, room and board) to watch videos of classes from the couch...could just enroll at the local community college and save 40k a year for the same experience.

Goes for UC too. If classes are remote not sure why anyone would pay for the Ferrari when you are only getting a Vespa.

Well--there is a difference in course content and academic rigor..also, for a lot of these places, the credits don't necessarily transfer.

Yeah. Not so much.

Take law schools for example. It’s the same course regardless of whether it’s Tier 1 at Harvard or Tier 4 at Podunk State U. The professors are teaching the same black letter law from the same case books to get people ready to take the same bar exam.

The difference is inside the walls not what would be presented as course-load in virtual classes.

Universities are screwed going forward if they think the old system is still a winner at that price point. The kimono has been permanently opened.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - skylinecat - 07-09-2020 11:59 AM

(07-09-2020 11:07 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(07-09-2020 10:43 AM)converrl Wrote:  

Yeah. Not so much.

Take law schools for example. It’s the same course regardless of whether it’s Tier 1 at Harvard or Tier 4 at Podunk State U. The professors are teaching the same black letter law from the same case books to get people ready to take the same bar exam.

The difference is inside the walls not what would be presented as course-load in virtual classes.

Universities are screwed going forward if they think the old system is still a winner at that price point. The kimono has been permanently opened.

Law schools are a unique example because like you said there is no difference in reading Marbury v. Madison at T4 Chase or Harvard. I think Lexis/West Law also helped to massively level the playing field. No one uses the library beyond a quiet place to study. Compare that to medical schools where I'm assuming Harvard has the best lab equipment and cutting edge tech to learn on vs. the medical schools half the doctors I sue go to in the US Virgin Islands.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 07-09-2020 12:19 PM

Thermodynamics doesn’t change much. Neither do structural laws. Neither do liberal arts. It’s the lab work and face to face time that sets it apart.

There is going to be a sea change in higher education in the next couple of years. It was coming anyways. Covid just greatly hastened matters.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - cmhcat - 07-09-2020 12:30 PM

There is going to be a sea change in higher education in the next couple of years. It was coming anyways. Covid just greatly hastened matters.
[/quote]

Yes, long overdue. If there is anything where cost should rise below the inflation level its higher education, and yet....the increases have been insane.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - MickMack - 07-09-2020 12:39 PM

(07-09-2020 12:30 PM)cmhcat Wrote:  There is going to be a sea change in higher education in the next couple of years. It was coming anyways. Covid just greatly hastened matters.

Yes, long overdue. If there is anything where cost should rise below the inflation level its higher education, and yet....the increases have been insane.
[/quote]

Pretty easy when kids could freely drink out of the student loan fire hose.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - doss2 - 07-09-2020 01:00 PM

(07-09-2020 12:39 PM)MickMack Wrote:  
(07-09-2020 12:30 PM)cmhcat Wrote:  There is going to be a sea change in higher education in the next couple of years. It was coming anyways. Covid just greatly hastened matters.

Pretty easy when kids could freely drink out of the student loan fire hose.
[/quote]

Student loans should be obtainable from the college. Instead of colleges investing in stocks and bonds, the endowments should invest in the students by being the lender. If their product is so good it leads to a productive future they should be the lender. The loan could be repaid with interest or if they graduate the student could choose to tithe x% for say 20 years. That amount under a tax provision would be deductible.

Why would not colleges want to do that? Because a lot of the stuff they teach only leads to a worthless degree and big debt.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-09-2020 01:21 PM

That actually makes sense but doesn't seem like a realistic option. I read an article recently about congress forcing colleges to be cosigners, instead. Which still puts the burden on colleges to see their students through to employment, but without the onus of actually being a lender.

But the big crux of that option would be that it runs opposite what institutions like UC are currently doing, which is to increase their applicant pool without completely tanking selectivity. Once colleges are on the hook, everyone would be forced into more selective admissions and suddenly it becomes much harder to drive enrollment up.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - UCGrad1992 - 07-09-2020 01:42 PM

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - UCGrad1992 - 07-09-2020 01:45 PM

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - UCGrad1992 - 07-09-2020 01:56 PM

An article from Sporting News...

Quote:The 2020 FBS college football season is supposed to start Aug. 29, but that's looking less likely with each passing day.

On Wednesday, the Ivy League canceled fall sports and Ohio State announced that it was pausing offseason football workouts. The number of COVID-19 cases in the United States continues to increase, and those numbers are high in several key college football states.

Stadium.com's Brett McMurphy reports that almost 75 percent of the athletic directors in the FBS believes that will result in a delayed start to the 2020 season. A total of 25 percent of those ADs believe the season will be conference games only, and that number increases to 45 percent among Power 5 ADs.

That's the scenario to watch — because it seems like the best case at this point for a 2020 college football season. Here is how that could unfold.

Delayed start
The first FBS games are scheduled for Aug. 29, and the first full Saturday is scheduled for Sept. 5. That's why the next two weeks are critical in terms of starting on time, which seems unlikely if the latest spike in COVID-19 cases continues.

Given the recommended six-week window for a fall camp, that timetable is looking dicey considering a major program like Ohio State decided to pause workouts. The ACC announced it will not have athletic competitions in other sports before Sept. 1 (not including football).

With that in mind, it might make sense to be proactive and scrap the September schedule, which is full of nonconference games. That's a huge loss for Group of 5 schools looking for those "paycheck" games against Power 5 schools and it also means the loss of marquee nonconference games such as Alabama-USC, Ohio State-Oregon and Texas-LSU.

Conference-only schedule
It's telling that 45 percent of Power 5 athletic directors believe the best option is a conference-only schedule in the fall. It's preferable to a spring conference season — which would be complicated by players being forced to choose between that and the 2021 NFL Draft. It's also better than no college football season at all.

This is comparable to Major League Baseball's 60-game schedule, which was hyper-regionalized to reduce cross-country travel. The conference-only model would also allow for the 10 FBS conferences to unify COVID-19 testing protocols for their member institutions and presents the fewest logistical hurdles for each conference in terms of trying to schedule games if that opportunity exists.

What would a hypothetical conference-only college football schedule look like? If games could begin Oct. 3, then that would allow for nine weeks before conference championship weekend on Dec. 5. This also would give the Group of 5 conferences their best chance to play.

Teams could play seven to nine games at that point, and most conferences play eight- or nine-game seasons. That leaves questions for independent programs such as Notre Dame, which has a five-game arrangement with the ACC.

Still, this seems like the most-feasible plan if football cannot start on time.

Can a Playoff still happen?
What if conference championship games aren't possible? How would college football legitimize the College Football Playoff?

The last season in which there were no college football playoff games was 1991, and Miami and Washington spilt the national championship. That is another hurdle with the possibility that there would be no nonconference games in 2020.

The four-team playoff has left out the Group of 5 every season, and the Pac-12 has been left out four of the six seasons under the current format. That might lead to a push for an eight-team playoff this year, but the fact that the semifinals and CFP championship game have already been selected means that is unlikely. The CFP could still select four teams, even in a conference-only season.

Best-case scenario
At this point, a conference-only season remains the best-case scenario for college football in 2020. The Ivy League decision could be either a precursor or an outlier, but the FBS athletic directors, conference commissioners and school administrators have tough decisions to make in the coming weeks that will impact the next several years of intercollegiate athletics.

The problem is those decisions hinge on a pandemic that has not slowed down since the NCAA men's basketball tournament was canceled.

The nature of where COVID-19 stands over the next few months will determine more than anything where college football goes from here.

Reality Setting In

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - CliftonAve - 07-09-2020 02:14 PM

B10 announces no OOC games this year. This means no trip to Nebraska.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - natibeast21 - 07-09-2020 02:22 PM

(07-09-2020 02:14 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  B10 announces no OOC games this year. This means no trip to Nebraska.

SOB I wanted to roll those Cornhuskers @ their place and I was ready for it THIS FALL

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-09-2020 02:24 PM

Well this sucks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-09-2020 02:31 PM

I hope all conferences do this and Uconn has to go completely FCS

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - OKIcat - 07-09-2020 03:02 PM

(07-09-2020 02:14 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  B10 announces no OOC games this year. This means no trip to Nebraska.

Contrary to what I've believed up until today, I think the college football season is collapsing right before our eyes.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 07-10-2020 04:29 PM

(07-09-2020 02:31 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I hope all conferences do this and Uconn has to go completely FCS

Which makes them visionary

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 07-10-2020 08:43 PM

(07-07-2020 11:07 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  When? SARS, MERs, Ebola all dissipated at the onset, before the virus' had spread at this significant of a level.

Pandemics of this magnitude have rarely just dissipated. AIDs is still around, we just treat it better. The flu is still around, but we have a vaccine. It took nearly two years and 50 million deaths before the Spanish flu ever dissipated, and it was still around long after. The black plague lasted for centuries with high mortality.

Viruses eventually taper away but the general trend is that they are either controlled immeadietly, controlled with a vaccine later on, or ravish millions of people before immunity is finally acheived.

And even still, some of those virus' could return in novel forms and wreck us once more. That's why smallpox was so heavily observed as a potential bioterrorism agent in the mid 2000s.

(07-07-2020 11:45 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  My thinking is pretty much in line with what most states are doing - - it seems drug developers feel confident vaccines will finish up clinical trials by the end of the year and it's possible multiple candidates will be in production then. In the mean time, reopen states, try to bide time with reasonable preventive measures like mask usage, social distancing regulations, and so on. Then, if it is shown we can manage the spread, restrictions can slowly be lifted. If mortality stays down we can talk more about large gatherings. If not, we need to see how much mortality increases and whether we can handle it. And so on.

If a vaccine doesn't pan out then, yeah, you can maybe talk about herd immunity as more of a pragmatic goal. The first step in doing so would be to determine how close the population is to developing antibodies. So you'd begin to see more studies like the one I posted from Spain.

(07-10-2020 04:29 PM)converrl Wrote:  
(07-09-2020 02:31 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I hope all conferences do this and Uconn has to go completely FCS

Which makes them visionary

...and right on cue.

Ba dump bump ching!

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatlawjd2 - 07-11-2020 08:22 AM

I don't have a lot of hope for fall 2020 college football season. Basically the President of the United States, the federal government, state governments, the media, and the American people get an "F" grade for handling the pandemic. A collective failure has lead us to this point where any progress we made to give us hope of sports is now looking doubtful.

The conference only schedules was something I could see coming as that allows them some semblance of control because the NCAA has none. I would love to see a spring season of six to eight games follow by a 2021 fall season that has about another 8 games, best chance in my book to see football.

Maybe somebody will give the fall season a chance but its looking like a mess at this point. I still think our best chance at football in 2020 includes smart stay at home orders for the next month and half that shuts down mass gathering places like grocery stores, big box stores, beaches, amusement parks, malls, places of worship, schools, offices, colleges and basically bans travel. We have to stop people for going places we people in large groups get together, sorry that it isn't fun but its basically the only chance to get we have to have semi-functional fall that includes sports.