CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Sweetness - 07-05-2020 06:55 PM

(07-05-2020 06:25 PM)InspectorHound Wrote:  
(07-05-2020 12:10 PM)rosewater Wrote:  
(07-05-2020 11:45 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Also, not sure what you mean by testing positive and being hospitalized. I fear that the recent uptick in hospitalization may precede a new uptick in mortality here soon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Lets so you go to the hospital for liposuction and you test positive for Covid, you are hospitalized for Covid.

Who goes to a hospital for liposuction? People would take corona truthers more seriously if everything they said wasn't absolutely moronic.

It's not completely wrong though. We already know many people have been incorrectly counted as covid deaths even though that wasn't the reason. Or marked as being hospitalized for covid even though that's not the reason.

The # number of positive test results is really a good thing as long as the hospitals don't become over crowded which so far they haven't been. The more people who test positive and are fine the closer we are to being through this wave.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 07-05-2020 07:00 PM

(07-05-2020 11:45 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Also, not sure what you mean by testing positive and being hospitalized. I fear that the recent uptick in hospitalization may precede a new uptick in mortality here soon.

Lets so you go to the hospital for liposuction and you test positive for Covid, you are hospitalized for Covid.

Who goes to a hospital for liposuction? People would take corona truthers more seriously if everything they said wasn't absolutely moronic.

Uh, I think you missed the point.

Pull down that mask and get some oxygen, big fella.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rtaylor - 07-05-2020 07:07 PM

(07-05-2020 07:00 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  

Nah, you did, as usual.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rosewater - 07-05-2020 07:36 PM

(07-05-2020 07:07 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(07-05-2020 07:00 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  

Nah, you did, as usual.

Since I wrote it, I can tell you the point. I put in an innocuous surgery to show the lengths of this Covid testing. Catlett and sweetness are on point you other two ... Btw, there is going to be around 240 new deaths today in a nation 240 million. One in a million.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - namrag - 07-05-2020 08:43 PM

(07-05-2020 11:45 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I fear that the recent uptick in hospitalization may precede a new uptick in mortality here soon.

There will not be a marked uptick in mortality.

Most new cases are in the 20-49 age range.

That demographic has an extremely low mortality rate.

The declining death rate may flatten out a little, but I wouldn’t expect the slope to trend upwards.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Don't tase me bro - 07-05-2020 09:36 PM

No sports until people are immortal.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 07-05-2020 09:42 PM

(06-21-2020 09:51 AM)ucbandguy Wrote:  
(06-17-2020 07:38 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’m like the stainless 6” GP 100 in .357 I had before the tragic canoeing accident where all of my firearms sank to the bottom of this really deep lake never to be seen again...blocky and not a lot of bells and whistles but presents itself well enough to communicate effectively.

I sit here wondering why anyone would take their .357 out on a canoe. (No, please don't answer that.) Seems like an invitation to sink to the bottom if you do tip.

(07-05-2020 09:36 PM)Dont tase me bro Wrote:  No sports until people are immortal.
Giving you points for that one.COGS

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-06-2020 09:45 AM

To follow up on my last post about hospitalizations, this is what I would be concerned about:

Also, I found a really fair blog entry that tries to analyze recent upticks in hospitalizations. Worth checking out:

https://covidtracking.com/blog/hospitalization-data

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - OKIcat - 07-06-2020 09:59 AM

The best indicator to watch in my mind is what last season's CFP participants decide to do. If LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma and OSU decide to sit this one out, the foundation of the building collapses quickly and when the dust settles there is suddenly no college football season.

But I don't expect that to happen. With new infections it stands to reason that there will be some increases in the death rate. But we seem to know a lot more about the risk profiles, best practices for prevention, and patient treatments than we did in March. I can't imagine a resumption of a national shutdown under any circumstances.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - robertfoshizzle - 07-06-2020 10:03 AM

(07-06-2020 09:59 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  The best indicator to watch in my mind is what last season's CFP participants decide to do. If LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma and OSU decide to sit this one out, the foundation of the building collapses quickly and when the dust settles there is suddenly no college football season.

But I don't expect that to happen. With new infections it stands to reason that there will be some increases in the death rate. But we seem to know a lot more about the risk profiles, best practices for prevention, and patient treatments than we did in March. I can't imagine a resumption of a national shutdown under any circumstances.

Living in Columbus, I hear a lot on sports talk radio about how OSU is handling things. Their AD Gene Smith is highly respected among college athletics and a lot of eyes are on him. I agree that if the major powers start calling things off, the season is done. If some Sun Belt/MAC schools and one or two private schools like USC or Boston College call it off, the season will go on without them.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-06-2020 10:20 AM

The reason I bring up recent hospitalizations is because a large uptick in mortality in Mid/Late-July would be really, really difficult to square with the start of the season. Previously the concern was that a second wave might hit in the winter time AFTER the fall sports end. Is that still a concern if the second wave instead hits now? Is there a third wave? Will a vaccine hit the market by December?

All tough to say. But after seeing states like Texas and Arizona suddenly rescind on their reopening efforts and close down bars and restaurants, I do worry that another uptick in mortality in the next few weeks might be enough to make the CFB powers decide by August 1st that they simply can't take the risk this season. The blog I posted seemed to interpret most mortality data lagging about 3-weeks behind hospitalization data. Think about the timeline.

I've maintained for a little that I think we will have a season with serious limitations (I'd be shocked if we get over 50% capacity) and if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on CFB following the MLB/European soccer model of reducing traveling staffs and playing in empty stadiums.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 07-06-2020 10:33 AM

(07-06-2020 10:20 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  The reason I bring up recent hospitalizations is because a large uptick in mortality in Mid/Late-July would be really, really difficult to square with the start of the season. Previously the concern was that a second wave might hit in the winter time AFTER the fall sports end. Is that still a concern if the second wave instead hits now? Is there a third wave? Will a vaccine hit the market by December?

All tough to say. But after seeing states like Texas and Arizona suddenly rescind on their reopening efforts and close down bars and restaurants, I do worry that another uptick in mortality in the next few weeks might be enough to make the CFB powers decide by August 1st that they simply can't take the risk this season. The blog I posted seemed to interpret most mortality data lagging about 3-weeks behind hospitalization data. Think about the timeline.

I've maintained for a little that I think we will have a season with serious limitations (I'd be shocked if we get over 50% capacity) and if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on CFB following the MLB/European soccer model of reducing traveling staffs and playing in empty stadiums.

Even with the uptick in mortality, after the numbers get adjusted, this will be on par with the flu.

Either go for it or go home.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - UCGrad1992 - 07-06-2020 10:54 AM

Back in May/early June I was confident that college football would start in the Fall. Now, I'm feeling less confident with all that I'm reading and hearing. It appears the Ivy League - set to vote on Wednesday when their season begins - will play a big influence.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-06-2020 11:12 AM

(07-06-2020 10:33 AM)converrl Wrote:  Even with the uptick in mortality, after the numbers get adjusted, this will be on par with the flu.

Either go for it or go home.

Covid deaths are already AT LEAST double what last year's entire flu season deaths were (~24k-62k).

When you say "after the numbers get adjusted" you're just arbitrarily deciding to suppress the death toll to whatever you deem appropriate.

I'm guessing when it comes to the flu, however, youd be happy to go with the high end estimate of 60k for all of 2019.

Which would still be half of what coronavirus has done in 3 months.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - CliftonAve - 07-06-2020 11:12 AM

Took this from a thread on the CS and Realigment Board, but Sports Illustrated believes the B10 May have some schools sit out this year and schools will elect to play regional opponents. I hope UC is reaching out to folks in B10 country to throw their hat in the ring to fill these schedules.

quote='IWokeUpLikeThis' pid='16891679' dateline='1594048263']
https://www.si.com/.amp-michigan/college/michigan/football/michigan-football-wolverines-2020-college-football-season-in-doubt-inside-information-jim-harbaugh

Quote:There are very real discussions about playing a regional schedule if you can get away with it. One Big Ten school in the West Division supposedly has a tentative regional schedule in place, including, according to a source at that school, "multiple games against FCS schools."

Other Big Ten schools are thinking about scrapping the year altogether.

Multiple sources confirmed Michigan plans to go ahead with a football season but thinks that both the Washington and Arkansas State games are definitely gone, and that any school that cannot be bused to there and back on game day will likely be dropped too.

A number of sources contend there will be a few Big Ten schools that do not play football this fall. While there has been nothing officially released - in some part not to cause panic - Michigan (and other programs) are working behind the scenes to schedule Mid-American Conference and Conference USA opponents.

"It's going to be the wild, wild west pretty soon," one prominent coach said. "At some point, more schools will start announcing they will not play this season and we could be left with eight games on our schedule while Ohio State has 11 and Indiana has 10. The schools that decide to play football will be scrambling to fill games and you could see home-and-homes with conference opponents."

So why haven't schools announced yet? In the opinion of numerous sources it's two-fold: 1) it's July and they're waiting until the last-possible moment to make that call 2) no one wants to be first and incur the PR and recruiting hits.

"Say you're a Big Ten school and you announce you won't play in 2020, none of your recruits have signed binding letters yet so you lose an entire recruiting class and you lose all momentum for 2022 class too," a member of Michigan's football community said. "Now you've dug yourself a huge hole and you know there will be football in 2021.

'Trust me, there are at least three to four schools that are definitely considering not playing but they want to be the third or fourth school to announce that, not the first."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based off everything I've heard, I'll summarize what I expect for 2020:

• I expect Michigan to play football this fall.

• I expect that U-M will play fewer than the 12 games on its schedule and that the trip to Washington and the Arkansas State game will be either canceled outright or replaced by Mid-American Conference opponents.

• I expect Michigan to play at least one home-and-home and potentially two or more with other Big Ten teams, most likely Michigan State, Indiana and Ohio State. I expect Notre Dame to be a very real possibility as a fill-in game because of the location and access via buses.

• I expect at least one Big Ten program not to play football this fall and as many as four or five. I think there is a chance for a four-team Big Ten championship bout to be played in December with the teams staying put in one city/hotel all two weeks.

• I don't expect fans to be in attendance at any sporting event that is not football.
[/quote]

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-06-2020 11:16 AM

If Michigan doesn't want to play straight up, let Luke and Hardbaugh wrastle for the W

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - CliftonAve - 07-06-2020 11:24 AM

(07-06-2020 11:16 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  If Michigan doesn't want to play straight up, let Luke and Hardbaugh wrastle for the W

If the article is to believed, there will be other B10 schools not playing this fall. Reading some things that are floating on the twitterverse, I think Rutgers is a likely one. Could open opportunity to take up some teams on their schedule.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 07-06-2020 11:31 AM

If it all hits the fan, what type of regional opponents could we reasonably schedule (within driving distance)?

1. Louisville (1.5 hr)
2. Miami OH (45 min)
3. OU (3 hr)
4. Kentucky (1.5 hr)
5. Ohio State (doubt Luke wants to ever do that again)- (1.5 hr)
6. Indiana (2.5 hr)
7. Notre Dame (4 hr)
8. West Virginia (4.5 hr)
9. Pitt (4.5 hr)
10. Toledo (3 hr)
11. Vanderbilt (4.5 hr)
12. Tennessee (4 hr)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - UCGrad1992 - 07-06-2020 11:32 AM

I think the fact that "uncertainty" has not gone away and we're now at July 6th does not bode well for Fall football...

Quote:In conversations with more than a dozen administrators, coaches and others intimately involved with college sports, all of whom spoke with USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity in order to provide their honest assessment, the level of uncertainty and alarm around the current situation has only grown in recent days.

Pervasive optimism that the college football season would start and finish on time has given way to nervousness as programs continue to see players with COVID-19 infections during voluntary workouts and multiple states have either slowed down or reversed some aspects of their reopening plans due to spiking case numbers. The idea of delaying college football to the spring, which was dismissed as a last resort a few months ago, is being revived in some corners as a legitimate option to buy time and give programs more tools to manage a situation that many administrators privately admit is unwieldy and uncertain. Meanwhile, some FBS conferences are actively engaged with banks on opening up lines of credit to guard against lost revenue, a key acknowledgment that schools fear a potential revenue wipeout this fall.

Ultimately, coaches and administrators still don’t know exactly what the next month will hold and whether a program can start contact practice without being overwhelmed by infections — which isn’t a very good sign on July 1 given initial expectations that the pandemic would die down in the summer and that accurate point-of-care testing would be widespread enough by now to test regularly.

Instead neither of those things have happened, and an industry that spent all spring saying time was on its side suddenly finds itself up against the clock. As one Power Five athletic director mused, the next month might be the most crucial in the modern history of college sports.

The challenges in navigating the next few weeks, not to mention the months to come, are almost innumerable. And yet they’ll have to be navigated under a fractured landscape that does not lend itself to nimbleness or consistency.
As one athletic director in the Midwest pointed out, it wasn’t until states within the SEC footprint started to open up in May that there was a strong push nationally to bring football players back to campus in June. It’s unclear what that will now mean in the near and medium-term future with the virus surging in SEC states like Florida, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and South Carolina, but the delusion of a relatively smooth transition back to sports has now been obliterated.

Even if the numbers in those states were stable, the reality of how difficult it’s going to be for programs to avoid constant disruptions has been laid bare by what happened at LSU, where at least 30 players have had to isolate due to either testing positive for COVID-19 or coming into contact with someone who tested positive at the local bars. A total of 37 Clemson players have tested positive. At Kansas State, workouts were shut down because of positive tests for players who are believed to have been infected at a party.

Contrary to popular belief among COVID-19 deniers, this isn’t about the death rate. Everyone recognizes that young, healthy athletes are highly unlikely to die if they contract the virus. But even if you can temporarily put aside the ever-present concern that a small number could have bad outcomes or the unknown long-term effects, the contagiousness of the virus and the issue of asymptomatic spread presents a practical problem of how you can coach, prepare and play without needing to isolate significant portions of your team.

And the concerns go well beyond football. Though it has received only a fraction of the attention due to the urgency of getting the football season started, basketball coaches are also concerned about the path forward, having seen the lengths to which the NBA is going to build a bubble and knowing that such measures simply won’t be possible for their sport.

One Power Five coach told me he wonders specifically about the hundreds of November and December games all over the country where major conference teams pay guarantees to mid- and low-majors. An SEC or ACC school will be financially able to test their players multiple times a week, but will the school from the Atlantic Sun or WAC that needs the $75,000 payday just to make its budget? That coach said there was “no way” he’d allow his team to be on the same floor as an opponent that wasn’t testing its players.

There is, quite simply, no strong leader to answer these questions and forge a path forward. And the result is, after months of administrators and coaches working endlessly to put out potential fires, there’s less confidence on July 1 than on June 1 about what it’s going to take to get the season going.

Read the whole article here

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - CliftonAve - 07-06-2020 11:43 AM

(07-06-2020 11:31 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  If it all hits the fan, what type of regional opponents could we reasonably schedule (within driving distance)?

1. Louisville (1.5 hr)
2. Miami OH (45 min)
3. OU (3 hr)
4. Kentucky (1.5 hr)
5. Ohio State (doubt Luke wants to ever do that again)- (1.5 hr)
6. Indiana (2.5 hr)
7. Notre Dame (4 hr)
8. West Virginia (4.5 hr)
9. Pitt (4.5 hr)
10. Toledo (3 hr)
11. Vanderbilt (4.5 hr)
12. Tennessee (4 hr)

Well we’d probably keep Western Michigan on the schedule (4.5 hours) and my guess is WVU and Pitt would be unwilling to schedule us. Could see Purdue or someone like Marshall sneaking in there.