CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 06-17-2020 02:09 PM

Once the toothpaste gets squeezed out, it never gets put back in the tube.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Billy_Bearcat - 06-17-2020 03:05 PM

(06-17-2020 12:56 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(06-16-2020 09:04 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  This used to be a country where you decided on your own if you wanted to take the chance on going down to Nippert, at least through every other outbreak of disease in our history, which should be easier to do now with the massive improvements in the spread of information. It appears that those days are gone. You can debate if that is for better or worse. Probably a bit of both.

Yup. Add that contact tracing is downright creepy.

Society is as screwed up as a sailor’s checkbook on a Saturday night of shore leave right now...I’m likely going to pass on traveling to attend games at Nippert this fall...not because of a virus but because with the election this fall and with the taliban getting all ramped up and bankrolled, I’m afraid the new normal of public discourse will continue to resemble outtakes from Mad Max. I’ll watch games from my couch, thank you very much.

Oo! Oo! Can we go as Master Blaster!?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - ZCat - 06-17-2020 05:02 PM

(06-17-2020 12:52 PM)ZCat Wrote:  
(06-03-2020 10:31 AM)dubcat14 Wrote:  
(06-03-2020 06:25 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(06-02-2020 09:34 AM)Racinejake Wrote:  
(06-02-2020 09:32 AM)doss2 Wrote:  How do they account for contributions which other wise would not be made?

Devil is in the details most likely which I have not seen. Football program gets allocated full fare cost of scholarships (times 85 players, many of those out of state). There are likely many other costs factored in there as well like debt service on Nippert, potentially Varsity Village, etc.

From the Ohio Auditor a couple years back.

See page 14 for the athletics debt servicing schedule. It’s brutal and that is before The Shoe was redone.

http://www.auditor.state.oh.us/AuditSearch/Reports/2017/University_of_Cincinnati_17-Hamilton_NCAA.pdf

Before the Shoe renovation, the first $9,892,595 of revenue this year goes to athletics department capital improvements debt servicing. Look at 2023 and beyond....better be sitting down when you do so.

The way I'm reading it, they're breaking those figures down into 5 year segments and that is the total principal and interest for said 5 year period. Average principal and interest of 9.99M for period 2023-2027 isn't much different than average principal and interest of 9.89M for 2022 or 9.909M for 2019. Hopefully there aren't any other major 100M dollar projects in the next 15-20 years unless a conference is helping the cost.

Thanks!
I’ve stayed caught up with part of the thread.
Without reading through every post, are we around 10 million in the red every year you’re saying? And when will that end?

This is for the university as a whole?

OK so this is the athletic department. Of the roughly $10 million For this year, 65% of it is interest. That is crazy.
What would Dave Ramsey say?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 06-17-2020 07:07 PM

(06-17-2020 03:05 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  
(06-16-2020 09:04 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  This used to be a country where you decided on your own if you wanted to take the chance on going down to Nippert, at least through every other outbreak of disease in our history, which should be easier to do now with the massive improvements in the spread of information. It appears that those days are gone. You can debate if that is for better or worse. Probably a bit of both.

Society is as screwed up as a sailor’s checkbook on a Saturday night of shore leave right now...I’m likely going to pass on traveling to attend games at Nippert this fall...not because of a virus but because with the election this fall and with the taliban getting all ramped up and bankrolled, I’m afraid the new normal of public discourse will continue to resemble outtakes from Mad Max. I’ll watch games from my couch, thank you very much.

Well...

It depends on who is the Master and who is the Blaster...

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Billy_Bearcat - 06-17-2020 07:15 PM

(06-17-2020 07:07 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  
(06-17-2020 03:05 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  

Well...

It depends on who is the Master and who is the Blaster...

Rath is the big dumb type

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 06-17-2020 07:38 PM

I’m like the stainless 6” GP 100 in .357 I had before the tragic canoeing accident where all of my firearms sank to the bottom of this really deep lake never to be seen again...blocky and not a lot of bells and whistles but presents itself well enough to communicate effectively.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatmark - 06-17-2020 07:40 PM

(06-17-2020 07:38 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’m like the stainless 6” GP 100 in .357 I had before the tragic canoeing accident where all of my firearms sank to the bottom of this really deep lake never to be seen again...blocky and not a lot of bells and whistles but presents itself well enough to communicate effectively.

Presents well? Who told you that?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 06-17-2020 07:43 PM

Yeah, but basically if you are the Blaster you have to carry Billy around on your back all day and do what he says. Got a cool helmet, though that may protect you from the corona and stop the facial recognition scanners from being able to identify you in contact tracing maneuvers...

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 06-17-2020 07:59 PM

Perhaps he was talking about Master Blaster Hair Salon next to Purcell Marian.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Ragpicker - 06-17-2020 08:48 PM

Why are professional and collegiate sports still the only industry forced to live with the Corona FEAR? Seriously?

Protests - no concern at all
Political rally - 19,000 indoors packed cheek to cheek
Political conventions - both parties selling out Arenas
Bars, restaurants, and retailers - many States the charade is over, and so is the distancing
Kentucky Derby - selling every seat and all the infield

But no fans for baseball? The NFL? College football? (although UC is hustling tix almost everyday) US Open tennis?

Even little league games in Ohio are back with kids sitting next to each other in the dugout, and parents sitting in the stands or folding chairs in large groups (witnessed twice last week at different fields)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearhawkeye - 06-18-2020 12:34 AM

(06-16-2020 09:50 AM)levydl Wrote:  
(06-16-2020 09:39 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(06-16-2020 08:14 AM)levydl Wrote:  
(06-16-2020 01:43 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 12:23 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Masks (indoors) , limiting mass gatherings, social distancing as best you can ... these are things that will continue to be important even as we open more and more up. Combine those with contact tracing it would be even better. 100,000 dead despite incredible efforts. We need to continue to be vigilant even as we go about more normalized lives.

For this stuff to truly work and be effective you need people willing to put science ahead of their politics. But that's too much to ask from some folks of a certain PC viewpoint these days. So we get confusion and distrust along with less than perfect results

I don't think it's some nefarious ploy or PC run amok, as you suggest. The tracers need truthful answers, so they don't want it to seem like an inquisition. This is a common problem when having to gather accurate information about sensitive subjects.

Even if that's the true motive (and I remain quite skeptical of that), I don't see how not asking gets the interviewer any closer to "the truth". If you don't ask whether somebody recently attended a huge public event, you are basically just wasting time and money when it comes to contact tracing.

By asking more open-ended questions they are more likely to get the "true" answer. By showing the person that the interviewer is not interested in finding out if they are a political agitator or if they committed some criminal act during the protest or whatever, the person will more often disclose the accurate information. Again, this is a very well-developed technique for a very common issue faced by those collecting sensitive information. Ironically, the critics who insist that the interviewer should do it another, more direct way risk getting worse info all because it feels less PC.

Yeah, I understood you the first time. I just think it's a fantasy to think you are going to get much solid information that helps you contain anything from open-ended questioning like that. It sounds likely to send you on a lot of wild goose chases on the 4 or 5 people he or she says he has been in contact with while ignoring the thousands he spent hours within close proximity at a protest that he didn't think to mention since he or she wasn't asked about that as an example.

Put another way, my experience is if you don't know something, ask. Far from perfect but a lot likelier to get you the info you are looking for than hoping someone confides in you who may not even understand what your open-ended questions are getting at.

At a minimum, just let the tracers do their job the way they see fit which may involve different techniques with different respondents. The idea that "deBlasio knows best" is about the worst possible assumption anyone could operate under.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 06-18-2020 09:14 AM

(06-17-2020 08:48 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  Why are professional and collegiate sports still the only industry forced to live with the Corona FEAR? Seriously?

Bars, restaurants, and retailers - many States the charade is over, and so is the distancing

But no fans for baseball? The NFL? College football? (although UC is hustling tix almost everyday) US Open tennis?

Even little league games in Ohio are back with kids sitting next to each other in the dugout, and parents sitting in the stands or folding chairs in large groups (witnessed twice last week at different fields)

Funny how that works, isn't it?

I mean, by now Minneapolis should be overrun with disease after all those non-social distancing riots... I mean, "protests", right?

But a football game... ??? Absolutely deadly.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - geef - 06-18-2020 09:39 AM

(06-18-2020 09:14 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(06-17-2020 08:48 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  Why are professional and collegiate sports still the only industry forced to live with the Corona FEAR? Seriously?

I mean, by now Minneapolis should be overrun with disease after all those non-social distancing riots... I mean, "protests", right?

Funny how you use every post to make garbage political commentary.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bear Catlett - 06-18-2020 10:26 AM

(06-18-2020 09:39 AM)geef Wrote:  

Funny how with every post I make a point that you can't seem to refute.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Yawny - 06-19-2020 09:23 PM

(06-18-2020 10:26 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(06-18-2020 09:39 AM)geef Wrote:  

Funny how with every post I make a point that you can't seem to refute.

Most of your "points" read like a mad lib filled out by the collective consciousness of Fox News so there's not a whole lot to attempt to refute.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 06-21-2020 01:21 AM

My suspicion is we appropriately overreacted due to the unknown. My growing suspicion is that this has now taken on a strange political lean whereby folks are secretly cheering for an outcome based on the home team’s colors.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - ucbandguy - 06-21-2020 09:51 AM

(06-17-2020 07:38 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’m like the stainless 6” GP 100 in .357 I had before the tragic canoeing accident where all of my firearms sank to the bottom of this really deep lake never to be seen again...blocky and not a lot of bells and whistles but presents itself well enough to communicate effectively.

I sit here wondering why anyone would take their .357 out on a canoe. (No, please don't answer that.) Seems like an invitation to sink to the bottom if you do tip.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rath v2.0 - 06-21-2020 10:47 AM

Sarcasm is a dish best not served reheated.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - doss2 - 06-23-2020 06:17 AM

Don't you know the virus is selective or could it be teargas and pepper spray and smoke from burned looted buildings inhibits transmission?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 06-26-2020 09:49 AM

So in light of Texas reimposing lockdown measures today (they closed some bars and instituted 50% capacity at resteraunts), thought i'd share some of the trends we're seeing.

First, there's a huge uptick in daily new cases. This time around it's less restricted to single states and more widespread. Many regions are reporting their highest daily confirmed cases yet.

Second, IMO this is largely a result of huge increases in testing availability. Our government was so laughably ill prepared for this onslaught that widespread testing has only recently become accessible. As such, the data I saw showed that many young people were getting tested who previously hadn't been.

Third, to support this conclusion, it's noteworthy that the mortality rate and positivisty rates are still declining (though the mortality rate might reach an inflection point soon). Positivisty rate can be interpreted in a few different ways, but so long as mortality rate is low we aren't completely f'd yet.

Finally, it's probably naive to attribute the increase to testing alone. Rather, we also have to consider the effect of virtually every economy reopening as well as the recent protests.

Across the country, many have seen the reports of CFB teams reporting high numbers of positive cases. Which can be expected, given how frequently they test those guys now. What will be really interesting this summer is watching how CFB teams handle those positive cases and continue workouts thereafter. If we go 3-4 months with cycles of players testing positive and workouts being canceled, it's hard to imagine they could hold a season this fall.

Nonetheless, Dr. Fauci recently testified that he's optomistic a vaccine will be developed by this winter/early spring. So perhaps there's an avenue to delay CFB until then.