CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - dsquare - 05-25-2020 03:42 PM

One positive of all this is i've never seen more badly out of shape folks walking around outside as the past 6 weeks or so. I bike quite a bit on the trails mostly, and also walk with some other family members and always have. Everybody i'm with has the same reaction. There will likely be quite a number of folks who lengthen their lives or avoid sudden death from heart issues than would have been the case. Question is if folks will continue the "get in shape" kick or forget about it once this thing gets less lethal with resistance. My bet is the latter.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Recluse1 - 05-25-2020 05:15 PM

(05-25-2020 02:28 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  Everyone does. Your military comparison is idiotic. Break those number of Covid-19 vs war numbers down by age groups....and once again you are reaching with an apples to oranges comparison. Virtually no deaths were caused by Covid for those under 30. Virtually all the deaths in Vietnam were under 30.

Protect the elderly and infirmed - quit sending the sick to nursing homes - and everyone else get back to living. That includes sports, concerts, parks, churches, parades, and school/summer camps.

I agree with the general sentiment of letting people get back to their lives, but to say young people have nothing to worry about isn't true. Even if we aren't talking deaths, there are many who are living after infection with diminished lung capacity. Plus it's not like those younger people won't encounter older ones. This thing spreads fast. I want people to get back to their lives, but we need to be reasonable about it.

The 1% of 20-34 year old people who have died doesn't sound significant, until you take into account that's been during social distancing. It will likely spike(especially this fall/winter), if we just throw caution to the wind like idiots. In fact it might do that regardless.

I'll add, we're not going to go back to the way things were. It's not the same world today it was months ago, and never will be again.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Recluse1 - 05-25-2020 05:18 PM

(05-25-2020 03:42 PM)dsquare Wrote:  One positive of all this is i've never seen more badly out of shape folks walking around outside as the past 6 weeks or so. I bike quite a bit on the trails mostly, and also walk with some other family members and always have. Everybody i'm with has the same reaction. There will likely be quite a number of folks who lengthen their lives or avoid sudden death from heart issues than would have been the case. Question is if folks will continue the "get in shape" kick or forget about it once this thing gets less lethal with resistance. My bet is the latter.

I miss being able to walk the trails at our state parks without encountering people and their annoying progeny.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Ragpicker - 05-25-2020 07:10 PM

(05-25-2020 02:37 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  If you were to tell me it's foolish for a 25 year old to fear death because of the Coronavirus, I would tend to agree. But that's not what you've done. You've openly mocked those who wear masks and those who social distance. Those measures are in place to protect all vulnerable populations. And given the death we've experienced, it is completely acceptable in my mind to adhere to those recommendations.

Again, the death toll so far has been greater than some of our deadliest wars and our deadliest diseases. You're a complete jack wad if you accuse someone of living in fear because they put a piece of cloth on their mouth to protect others.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Openly mocking you is far more fun.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 05-25-2020 09:49 PM

(05-25-2020 10:08 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(05-25-2020 01:33 AM)converrl Wrote:  .

HOWEVER...more will die due to lack of food $$$ and medical care, as well as despondency leading to suicide. That would certainly slow the spread of the virus...by killing untold millions of people over and above any damage the virus would have done.

It's not $$$ vs. lives...it's lives vs. lives...fewer people will die with a robust world economy than cowering in their homes waiting to starve to death once the government can't print any more $$$.

It really is just that simple.

This is simply not true. I've posted numerous studies showing that mortality rates are procyclic.

WTF are you talking about? A moribund world economy would cost countless more lives than coronavirus! You seem to forget that the ENTIRE 3rd world would be wiped out if the Western economies tanked--that's millions upon millions of people! Coronavirus doesn't come close to that with a death rate of somewhere between 3-6%!!

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-25-2020 10:14 PM

It's pretty well established the mortality rates are procyclic. Meaning that as unemployment rises, mortality rates fall. Or, alternatively, when GDP rises, mortality rates rise.

It's a bit of a contradiction, because individual wealth generally leads to better health. And further, GDP is correlated to greater life expectancy.

But on the macro level, periods of recession have historically resulted in lower mortality rates. There are plenty of studies on this, but here's a good summary in the current context of coronavirus,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/recessions-dont-lead-to-an-overall-increase-in-deaths/%3famp=1

And another good, more focused article on the same:

https://www.aeaweb.org/research/why-does-the-death-rate-increase

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rtaylor - 05-25-2020 10:32 PM

(05-25-2020 09:49 PM)converrl Wrote:  
(05-25-2020 10:08 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(05-25-2020 01:33 AM)converrl Wrote:  .

HOWEVER...more will die due to lack of food $$$ and medical care, as well as despondency leading to suicide. That would certainly slow the spread of the virus...by killing untold millions of people over and above any damage the virus would have done.

It's not $$$ vs. lives...it's lives vs. lives...fewer people will die with a robust world economy than cowering in their homes waiting to starve to death once the government can't print any more $$$.

It really is just that simple.

This is simply not true. I've posted numerous studies showing that mortality rates are procyclic.

WTF are you talking about? A moribund world economy would cost countless more lives than coronavirus! You seem to forget that the ENTIRE 3rd world would be wiped out if the Western economies tanked--that's millions upon millions of people! Coronavirus doesn't come close to that with a death rate of somewhere between 3-6%!!

Still barking at the moon with zero facts on your side. Nice job. 03-lmfao

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - MickMack - 05-25-2020 10:54 PM

(05-25-2020 07:10 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  
(05-25-2020 02:37 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  If you were to tell me it's foolish for a 25 year old to fear death because of the Coronavirus, I would tend to agree. But that's not what you've done. You've openly mocked those who wear masks and those who social distance. Those measures are in place to protect all vulnerable populations. And given the death we've experienced, it is completely acceptable in my mind to adhere to those recommendations.

Again, the death toll so far has been greater than some of our deadliest wars and our deadliest diseases. You're a complete jack wad if you accuse someone of living in fear because they put a piece of cloth on their mouth to protect others.

Openly mocking you is far more fun.

Get 'em, Karen. Ask for the manager next. They'll never see it coming.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Teakwood - 05-25-2020 11:33 PM

(05-25-2020 10:14 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  It's pretty well established the mortality rates are procyclic. Meaning that as unemployment rises, mortality rates fall. Or, alternatively, when GDP rises, mortality rates rise.

It's a bit of a contradiction, because individual wealth generally leads to better health. And further, GDP is correlated to greater life expectancy.

But on the macro level, periods of recession have historically resulted in lower mortality rates. There are plenty of studies on this, but here's a good summary in the current context of coronavirus,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/recessions-dont-lead-to-an-overall-increase-in-deaths/%3famp=1

And another good, more focused article on the same:

https://www.aeaweb.org/research/why-does-the-death-rate-increase

I have read all of your links, they are interesting and I appreciate you posting. I didn't like one because the study focused only on the time period around the great depression. The language really nuanced and downplayed things like the difference in occupational safety and ramifications of smoking/drinking from then to today. Mentioned but downplayed. Anyway, while the macro mortality appears to decline in times of recession, no one really knows why. What we do know is that calls for suicide, abuse, and trafficking are up, as well as general depression and other physical health issues due to deferred care. I will continue to beat the drum for what I know, understanding there is a yet to be explained macro downside. I agree with Mark that we need to do better protecting our aged and vulnerable. However, there is plenty of room for the rest of the demographics to carefully get back to life, as my aforementioned concerns effect nearly every demographic.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - CliftonAve - 05-26-2020 06:27 AM

Went to the gym this morning, regular crowd was there. Good to hit the iron again (although I have worked out in my basement the past couple months).

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - DownOnRohs - 05-26-2020 07:14 AM

I like wearing a mask in public. I like concealing my identity when at all possible.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - doss2 - 05-26-2020 07:35 AM

As the world turns.

Used to be if you walked into a bank with a mask you got arrested, now go in without one and you may get arrested.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - RuckleSt - 05-26-2020 07:36 AM

(05-26-2020 07:14 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  I like wearing a mask in public. I like concealing my identity when at all possible.

[Image: 250?cb=20120727154345]

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rosewater - 05-26-2020 08:41 AM

(05-26-2020 06:27 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Went to the gym this morning, regular crowd was there. Good to hit the iron again (although I have worked out in my basement the past couple months).

Went cold turkey. Going today and it ain't gonna be pretty.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Dannyboy - 05-26-2020 08:47 AM

(05-26-2020 07:35 AM)doss2 Wrote:  As the world turns.

Used to be if you walked into a bank with a mask you got arrested, now go in without one and you may get arrested.

My bank is still drive through only for this very reason.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - CliftonAve - 05-26-2020 08:50 AM

(05-26-2020 08:41 AM)rosewater Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 06:27 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Went to the gym this morning, regular crowd was there. Good to hit the iron again (although I have worked out in my basement the past couple months).

I did pretty well. As I indicated I have been working out in the basement with dumbbells/resistance bands etc did the past two months 3x a week, couple with three other days of long runs. It’s been heavy cardio. Today I lifted probably at 85-90% of what I was doing pre-COVID.

Baby steps.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rosewater - 05-26-2020 09:01 AM

(05-26-2020 08:50 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 08:41 AM)rosewater Wrote:  

I did pretty well. As I indicated I have been working out in the basement with dumbbells/resistance bands etc did the past two months 3x a week, couple with three other days of long runs. It’s been heavy cardio. Today I lifted probably at 85-90% of what I was doing pre-COVID.

Baby steps.

Yes, baby steps. On a positive note, the cardio is best since my thirties.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatfan - 05-26-2020 09:28 AM

(05-25-2020 03:42 PM)dsquare Wrote:  One positive of all this is i've never seen more badly out of shape folks walking around outside as the past 6 weeks or so. I bike quite a bit on the trails mostly, and also walk with some other family members and always have. Everybody i'm with has the same reaction. There will likely be quite a number of folks who lengthen their lives or avoid sudden death from heart issues than would have been the case. Question is if folks will continue the "get in shape" kick or forget about it once this thing gets less lethal with resistance. My bet is the latter.

While working from home since the quarantine/shutdown I've lost 17 pounds. I've been eating much better and walking 2-4 miles every day. My wife and I walked 6 miles on Sunday morning.

For the year I'm down 21 pounds. The goal is to lose 8 more.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - MickMack - 05-26-2020 09:35 AM

(05-26-2020 09:28 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  

While working from home since the quarantine/shutdown I've lost 17 pounds. I've been eating much better and walking 2-4 miles every day. My wife and I walked 6 miles on Sunday morning.

For the year I'm down 21 pounds. The goal is to lose 8 more.

That's awesome, man! Great job!

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Billy_Bearcat - 05-26-2020 11:13 AM

Has anyone found a stylish, comfortable Bearcat mask?