CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearhawkeye - 05-25-2020 12:21 AM

(05-24-2020 06:17 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  This goes back to the Stalin quote; one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I dunno, when I hear some of the stats it makes me think of the Joker:

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - converrl - 05-25-2020 01:33 AM

(05-24-2020 05:35 PM)MickMack Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 05:27 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 04:13 PM)MickMack Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 03:43 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 02:47 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I get that it's too much to ask you to think. It makes sense but you're going to have to do some critical thinking to get there.

Work for it. Maybe you'll surprise me.

Well, I'm just trying to think how this magical process works where no matter what we do, we low riskers are always going to seek out and destroy those most at risk.

Even if those most vulnerable are at home, have washed their hands and all that good stuff, if I go to B-dubs to watch a game I'm somehow going to end up costing someone their life.

But if you say so...

You go to B-Dubs and spread it to 30 people. They each unknowingly spread to 30 more. It's not rocket science...

Perhaps... I don't have it.

And if I did, I would have sense enough to not go out in public.

ALSO not rocket science.

Asymptotic spread is a thing. Again, not rocket science. But I can appreciate some have a much, much lower bar.

Asymptomatic spread, recurrence of asymptomatic infection, false negatives during testing, viral mutation, making the vaccines worthless...the possibilities here are endless. At the end of the day, if you don't want anyone to die of this virus EVER, then you have to lock everyone in their homes and shut down the world economy....even then, a significant number will die from the virus.

HOWEVER...more will die due to lack of food $$$ and medical care, as well as despondency leading to suicide. That would certainly slow the spread of the virus...by killing untold millions of people over and above any damage the virus would have done.

It's not $$$ vs. lives...it's lives vs. lives...fewer people will die with a robust world economy than cowering in their homes waiting to starve to death once the government can't print any more $$$.

It really is just that simple.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - glacier_dropsy - 05-25-2020 06:19 AM

I was in favor of the lockdown when we were aware it was spreading in the community, had almost no way to test for it, and not nearly enough equipment to protect the people putting themselves in danger taking care of the sick.

I was in favor of easing restrictions when it was apparent we had escaped exponential growth, had better testing capabilities, and better access to equipment for the people caring for the sick.

Going forward, I hope things open up and people behave like there is still a very dangerous virus quietly spreading among us, and try to adjust behavior accordingly.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Ragpicker - 05-25-2020 07:04 AM

You guys and your self-serving stats, and the hours you must spend finding that one number, factoid, or anecdotal story that supports your opinion, cause, or righteousness is hilarious and kinda sad.

Put your phone down. Go outside. If you are in a draconian lockdown State - leave. Experience the beauty of freedom.

My Florida trip was fantastic. Eight family members went out to dinner at a microbrewery my first night in town. The vanilla porter - so good. Servers wore masks, no gloves but not a single customer had a mask. Tables were slightly spaced - for a good show - but every table filled with laughter and life.

Beach days were packed with tourists and locals alike. Waves were breaking nice and this old guy was still able to surf - it had been awhile. The only change I witnessed from the virus was there was a strict no alcohol policy and enforcement on the beach. Sand volleyball was everywhere with no concern of who on the team was asymptomatic. Sun bathers set up canopies right next to each other while children and seniors both enjoyed their freedoms together.

My airline first attempted to book their seats at reservation with a social distancing pattern, but when demand increased they packed the plane - to serve their customers and obviously increase revenue. One lady who was sporting a N95 mask and heavy green dishwashing gloves freaked out as more people came on board. She started screaming "I want off this plane". They moved her up to the front row next to the flight attendants. Less than half of passengers wore masks. And 3/4 of those took their masks off during the flight. Airport waiting areas were similar. Seems to me that people have them around their neck in case someone close by requests nicely or shames them into covering their face - otherwise no mask. Also, it appears the high school and college kids like the new style of wearing colorful bandanas draped from just under their eyes to below their necks like they are about to rob a bank. Wearing sunglasses of course.

But the best thing about my entire trip was that I was able to spend real time with my 80 yr old Mom. Real hugs, real kisses on the cheek, real human interaction with no PPE and no so-called health expert telling me when and how I can see my mother. Freedom.

So if all the airlines are going to put people in every row and in every seat, in an indoor setting, then yes, we should have fans at every game. Speaking to customers who flew United and American they also were on packed planes. If our federally inspected and federally bailed out air industry has no problem sitting total strangers next to each other, then I say let's fill the stadiums and ballparks. And there is simply no proven reason why outdoor concerts should not go on all summer.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - CliftonAve - 05-25-2020 07:16 AM

04-rock
(05-25-2020 07:04 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  You guys and your self-serving stats, and the hours you must spend finding that one number, factoid, or anecdotal story that supports your opinion, cause, or righteousness is hilarious and kinda sad.

Put your phone down. Go outside. If you are in a draconian lockdown State - leave. Experience the beauty of freedom.

My Florida trip was fantastic. Eight family members went out to dinner at a microbrewery my first night in town. The vanilla porter - so good. Servers wore masks, no gloves but not a single customer had a mask. Tables were slightly spaced - for a good show - but every table filled with laughter and life.

Beach days were packed with tourists and locals alike. Waves were breaking nice and this old guy was still able to surf - it had been awhile. The only change I witnessed from the virus was there was a strict no alcohol policy and enforcement on the beach. Sand volleyball was everywhere with no concern of who on the team was asymptomatic. Sun bathers set up canopies right next to each other while children and seniors both enjoyed their freedoms together.

My airline first attempted to book their seats at reservation with a social distancing pattern, but when demand increased they packed the plane - to serve their customers and obviously increase revenue. One lady who was sporting a N95 mask and heavy green dishwashing gloves freaked out as more people came on board. She started screaming "I want off this plane". They moved her up to the front row next to the flight attendants. Less than half of passengers wore masks. And 3/4 of those took their masks off during the flight. Airport waiting areas were similar. Seems to me that people have them around their neck in case someone close by requests nicely or shames them into covering their face - otherwise no mask. Also, it appears the high school and college kids like the new style of wearing colorful bandanas draped from just under their eyes to below their necks like they are about to rob a bank. Wearing sunglasses of course.

But the best thing about my entire trip was that I was able to spend real time with my 80 yr old Mom. Real hugs, real kisses on the cheek, real human interaction with no PPE and no so-called health expert telling me when and how I can see my mother. Freedom.

04-rock

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - glacier_dropsy - 05-25-2020 07:40 AM

Glad you had a great trip, sounds blissful.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - namrag - 05-25-2020 07:59 AM

It still alarms me, and makes me question our populations average intellect, when so many went from accepting a “2-3 week shutdown” to “flatten the curve” so that hospitals weren’t overwhelmed, right into an indefinite lockdown, with justifications that do not gel with science, nor gel with what we have learned about the virus to this point.

And so many have been taught, and are enthusiastically embracing, using the pro-lockdown view as a virtue signal. Like so many other politicized issues, their viewpoint makes them feel superior to others.

The pro-lockdown crowd remind me of the infamous quote from The Battle of Ben Tre:

“It became necessary to destroy the town to save it”.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - MickMack - 05-25-2020 08:35 AM

(05-25-2020 07:59 AM)namrag Wrote:  It still alarms me, and makes me question our populations average intellect, when so many went from accepting a “2-3 week shutdown” to “flatten the curve” so that hospitals weren’t overwhelmed, right into an indefinite lockdown, with justifications that do not gel with science, nor gel with what we have learned about the virus to this point.

And so many have been taught, and are enthusiastically embracing, using the pro-lockdown view as a virtue signal. Like so many other politicized issues, their viewpoint makes them feel superior to others.

The pro-lockdown crowd remind me of the infamous quote from The Battle of Ben Tre:

“It became necessary to destroy the town to save it”.

Who is arguing for an indefinite lockdown? No one. You are projecting. Big time.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 05-25-2020 08:56 AM

(05-25-2020 07:16 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  04-rock
(05-25-2020 07:04 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  You guys and your self-serving stats, and the hours you must spend finding that one number, factoid, or anecdotal story that supports your opinion, cause, or righteousness is hilarious and kinda sad.

04-rock

Yeah, I mean at the end of the day.... That’s nice.

I wish it would happen sooner, but I think things are organically going to happen. Pretty soon the “sky is falling” crowd will look around and see everyone enjoying life and getting back to normal. New infections and deaths will dwindle into insignificance. Then it will just fizzle out.

Italy is trending very nicely these days. We are a couple weeks behind...

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-25-2020 10:08 AM

(05-25-2020 01:33 AM)converrl Wrote:  .

HOWEVER...more will die due to lack of food $$$ and medical care, as well as despondency leading to suicide. That would certainly slow the spread of the virus...by killing untold millions of people over and above any damage the virus would have done.

It's not $$$ vs. lives...it's lives vs. lives...fewer people will die with a robust world economy than cowering in their homes waiting to starve to death once the government can't print any more $$$.

It really is just that simple.

This is simply not true. I've posted numerous studies showing that mortality rates are procyclic.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-25-2020 10:12 AM

I just don't understand where these "pro lockdown" people are? I'm in favor of reopening.

However, I'm not getting aroused by the idea of a packed airplane when there are 100,000 people dead. I'm not accusing people of living in fear because they're taking simple precautions. I'm not fear mongering because I'm pointing out the realities of a dangerous virus.

No, in fact, I spent all weekend out and about, trying different resteraunts and working in the lab once again.

But, and I can not stress this enough, I will never criticize someone for being concerned about 100,000 lost lives. That's not living in fear. It's called compassion. The world could use more of it, at the moment.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - robertfoshizzle - 05-25-2020 11:24 AM

I'm becoming more and more optimistic there will be a college football season. If I had to guess, you'll see a lot of non-Division I schools take the year off, but most FBS and FCS schools will carry on. I could definitely see the Ivy League and a handful of other private schools suspend their seasons though. I think next year, you'll see some schools start to consider dropping down from FBS, especially in the MAC. The full scale of economic effects on universities won't be known for a while, but it's going to get ugly.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 05-25-2020 12:49 PM

(05-25-2020 10:12 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I just don't understand where these "pro lockdown" people are? I'm in favor of reopening.

However, I'm not getting aroused by the idea of a packed airplane when there are 100,000 people dead. I'm not accusing people of living in fear because they're taking simple precautions. I'm not fear mongering because I'm pointing out the realities of a dangerous virus.

No, in fact, I spent all weekend out and about, trying different resteraunts and working in the lab once again.

But, and I can not stress this enough, I will never criticize someone for being concerned about 100,000 lost lives. That's not living in fear. It's called compassion. The world could use more of it, at the moment.

Touché... I guess? But who’s not concerned about a 100,000 dead? That’s you putting spin on what others have written. Nobody ever said “I hope a bunch of people die from this.”

I’ve devoted my life to helping others and treating disease. I have been working day after day through this whole thing, with a mask on my face, goggles over my eyes, in front of actual patients. I have been in front of a patient that tested positive right before they were supposed to be discharged. That bought me a nose swab to the brain. I have a wife and 3 kids, she also works in healthcare. She has been screening visitors in addition to her regular job. We bring this burden home every day. We run the risk of infecting anybody we come in contact with, not to mention our kids (or so they say).

I have seen the human toll this has taken and not just bc of the virus, but also because of the restrictions placed on us in a direct patient care setting. No visitation for the dying, or the living trying to recover. The isolation that positive patients have to live with. The fear and the anxiety. Not to mention the logistical difficulties with nearly every task that I have to perform.

Glad you made it back to the lab. I hope you aren’t insinuating that I have a lack of empathy. For someone that doesn’t have a horse In the race on any given day, that’s a bold assumption.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-25-2020 01:27 PM

I'm not commenting on you specifically. I'm commenting on this idea that people who adhere to social distancing guidelines, and who wear masks, are somehow living in fear. The death toll we've incurred thus far is severe. We shouldn't become desensitized to it and accuse those who are frightened of being any less courageous as you or I.

On memorial day, we rightly honor those who lost their lives serving the country. For context, more Americans have died in 2 months from Coronavirus than in combat during the Vietnam, Korean, Gulf, Revolutionary, 1812, Mexican American, Spanish/Philippine, Afghanistan, and Iraqi wars COMBINED.

Could you imagine if we told veterans of those wars that they were living in fear?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bearcatbdub - 05-25-2020 01:42 PM

(05-25-2020 01:27 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I'm not commenting on you specifically. I'm commenting on this idea that people who adhere to social distancing guidelines, and who wear masks, are somehow living in fear. The death toll we've incurred thus far is severe. We shouldn't become desensitized to it and accuse those who are frightened of being any less courageous as you or I.

On memorial day, we rightly honor those who lost their lives serving the country. For context, more Americans have died in 2 months from Coronavirus than in combat during the Vietnam, Korean, Gulf, Revolutionary, 1812, Mexican American, Spanish/Philippine, Afghanistan, and Iraqi wars COMBINED.

Could you imagine if we told veterans of those wars that they were living in fear?

Wow. At least I am glad you aren’t pointing a finger at me specifically. I mask up every day and get in front of patients. But I’m no hero like those guys that dodged bullets. Not even close.

Not sure what your analogy has to do with anything that I said.

I think you are on the wrong career path.

Try politics.

I’m permanently done with this spin cycle.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-25-2020 02:21 PM

I think you missed my point entirely.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Ragpicker - 05-25-2020 02:28 PM

(05-25-2020 02:21 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  I think you missed my point entirely.

Everyone does. Your military comparison is idiotic. Break those number of Covid-19 vs war numbers down by age groups....and once again you are reaching with an apples to oranges comparison. Virtually no deaths were caused by Covid for those under 30. Virtually all the deaths in Vietnam were under 30.

Protect the elderly and infirmed - quit sending the sick to nursing homes - and everyone else get back to living. That includes sports, concerts, parks, churches, parades, and school/summer camps.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-25-2020 02:30 PM

Maybe you can point me to one of your posts where you only mocked those under 30 who wear masks.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-25-2020 02:37 PM

If you were to tell me it's foolish for a 25 year old to fear death because of the Coronavirus, I would tend to agree. But that's not what you've done. You've openly mocked those who wear masks and those who social distance. Those measures are in place to protect all vulnerable populations. And given the death we've experienced, it is completely acceptable in my mind to adhere to those recommendations.

Again, the death toll so far has been greater than some of our deadliest wars and our deadliest diseases. You're a complete jack wad if you accuse someone of living in fear because they put a piece of cloth on their mouth to protect others.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bruce Monnin - 05-25-2020 03:15 PM

Some fear is good. It keeps us alive.

Just be careful of unreasonable fear.

Now, how to figure out the difference between the two.