CSNbbs
Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? (/thread-897534.html)

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-17-2020 09:01 AM

(05-17-2020 08:56 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  There is crossover — UC students do internships and practicums in those facilities and the workers in those facilities go to the same restaurants, stores in Clifton etc as students.

Yes and even if there wasn't direct crossover, those facilities are located either on, or adjacent to, campus and bringing students back means we'd be reintroducing 50-sum thousand people directly into their vicinity.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - eroc - 05-17-2020 09:17 AM

(05-17-2020 08:54 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 08:35 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Do you think athletics will be grouped together for the reboot, such that if Lacrosse were to resume play, football would have to follow suit?

Depends on if you are talking about rebooting with or without fans...

No fan issue with Lacrosse.
(What fans they have can enter the facility and watch and maintain distance.)

Huge fan issue with football.
(Even if UC cut attendance in half and only sold 20,000 tickets to space people inside Nippert — there is no way to get fans in and out of Nippert and maintain distance. Bathrooms, concession lines and congregating on concourses are all problematic.)

if you are trying to hold any event at all with COVID you have to think as streamlined as possible. Players, Coaching staff, essential game day staff, including TV operations only. There is so much more coordination involved with other institutions to hold a season to begin with that i can't fathom trying to incorporate planning that tries to include fan participation.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - mptnstr@44 - 05-17-2020 09:23 AM

(05-17-2020 08:58 AM)rosewater Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 08:15 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 07:37 AM)rosewater Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 06:54 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(05-16-2020 10:30 PM)eroc Wrote:  This may be the answer:

https://insidehighered.com/news/2020/05/15/colleges-seek-protection-lawsuits-if-they-reopen?utm_content=bufferdb2bf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=IHEbuffer

For our own UC, they have an enrollment of 45,000 plus a staff/faculty of 6,000.

The idea that college campus populations are relatively safe from bad Covid19 outcomes is probably true given the age of the majority of people on a campus but of the campus body some of them are over 60 (faculty and staff), some of the under 60s have compromised health (this includes faculty, staff, students with diabetes, overweight, hypertension, immunodeficient, etc).

Most of the on-campus and surrounding campus student population live in very close quarters — dorms and multifamily — the Covid will spread very easily because of the close quarters and college students aren't known for following rules, social distancing, not going out if you don't feel well, etc.

If 10% of the UC population gets sick with Covid that's 5100 people.
If 1% of that 5100 dies that is 51 people and really bad press if it includes students.
And parents who sent their kids off to college will hold the university responsible.

But it is not one percent in groups under 30 years old. It is more like .015 percent. Seven students would be much more accurate.

For that age group the rate is actually .8% (based on what we know now) so my data while off by .02% is closer to correct than yours of .015% and mine is sourced by a recent news source while your data is pulled from ????

"In the vast majority of younger adults, covid-19 appears to result in mild illness with the risk of more severe consequences rising with every decade of age. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data, 0.8 percent of U.S. deaths as of Apr. 18 were in people ages 25 to 34; 2 percent among those 35 to 44; and 5.4 percent among those 45 to 54."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

Of the 5100 infected at a death rate of .8% that is 40. 40 potential wrongful death lawsuits. This does not include those who might sue because they live through covid but their health is permanently altered.

Even if you are ok with 40 students dying from Covid, what about the people who get infected from asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic students bringing the Coronavirus home to their families or visit businesses around campus?

In choosing to bring people together en masse, the virus spread has to be considered beyond the initial infected to those they contact with.

College students will still go home and will go out and about Clifton even if they don't feel well, have a cough, or runny nose because they are college kids — so the proliferation of Covid beyond the borders of campus will take the number of deaths associated with the UC campus higher.

Read your link and it does not say that .8 percent of people under 30 die from Covid. They use a band between 25 to 34 to get to that number. "According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data, 0.8 percent of U.S. deaths as of Apr. 18 were in people ages 25 to 34." Since you want a link, I think this view is more accurate based on my experience and knowledge. "By those numbers, COVID-19 almost begins to look like a different disease from one age group to another. For those under the age of 45, COVID-19 has a case fatality rate of about 0.1 percent — roughly the all-ages fatality rate of the seasonal flu (though, as a novel virus, it is considerably more infectious)." https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/covid-targets-the-elderly-why-dont-our-prevention-efforts.html

Did a little more research and nation wide there have been 59 deaths out of 7452 tested from Covid with ages between 15-24. https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku This gets you to your .8 percent. I guess the disconnect is the belief in the number. I am of the belief that far more people have had the virus in this age group. I think the British study I listed above is correct because a far greater percentage of people were tested.

So based on both of our research we can honestly say we don't know. We are learning and adjusting almost daily and having to use the anecdotal evidence that we do have to aid in decision making.

We do not know for certain what will happen if we gather en masse but we do know the results of the spread in an en masse example...NOLA during Marde Gras.

We do not know for certain what will happen for on a college campus but we do know what has happened in areas of dense concentrated living in NYC and Detroit.

Because we don't know…
It is better to approach with caution.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - mptnstr@44 - 05-17-2020 09:25 AM

(05-17-2020 09:17 AM)eroc Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 08:54 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 08:35 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Do you think athletics will be grouped together for the reboot, such that if Lacrosse were to resume play, football would have to follow suit?

Depends on if you are talking about rebooting with or without fans...

No fan issue with Lacrosse.
(What fans they have can enter the facility and watch and maintain distance.)

Huge fan issue with football.
(Even if UC cut attendance in half and only sold 20,000 tickets to space people inside Nippert — there is no way to get fans in and out of Nippert and maintain distance. Bathrooms, concession lines and congregating on concourses are all problematic.)

if you are trying to hold any event at all with COVID you have to think as streamlined as possible. Players, Coaching staff, essential game day staff, including TV operations only. There is so much more coordination involved with other institutions to hold a season to begin with that i can't fathom trying to incorporate planning that tries to include fan participation.

Until there is a vaccine or proven herd immunity we likely proceed sans fans because of the spread implications.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - ucbandguy - 05-17-2020 09:38 AM

Thinking about the "will there be a season" question. I suspect that yes, there will be a season. The issue is less about whether the players and staff come down with Covid-19. That can be closely monitored. The issue is with spread vectors outside the team. That issue is with the fans and vendors and ticket takers, etc coming and going from across the area.

Even if Nippert Stadium is open for fans to come, I can't imagine my wife and I going, given our age. (late 60's) (I don't anticipate buying the CCM Mainstage series this year either - wonderful performances - great price. )

So, my plan is to watch a lot of Bearcat football on TV this year. I will dig into my budget and make some nice contributions to UCATS and CCM with my ticket savings, and maybe some extra.

I would expect that there will be games cancelled due to teams with Covid-19 exposure - not unlike some of the weather cancellations. And some schools might not be back on campus this fall. So I see the likelihood of a "full schedule" as low.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-17-2020 09:45 AM

Is there any possibility the onus is placed on the individual conferences to attain adequate testing for players and staff?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - rosewater - 05-17-2020 10:33 AM

(05-17-2020 09:23 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 08:58 AM)rosewater Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 08:15 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 07:37 AM)rosewater Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 06:54 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  For our own UC, they have an enrollment of 45,000 plus a staff/faculty of 6,000.

The idea that college campus populations are relatively safe from bad Covid19 outcomes is probably true given the age of the majority of people on a campus but of the campus body some of them are over 60 (faculty and staff), some of the under 60s have compromised health (this includes faculty, staff, students with diabetes, overweight, hypertension, immunodeficient, etc).

Most of the on-campus and surrounding campus student population live in very close quarters — dorms and multifamily — the Covid will spread very easily because of the close quarters and college students aren't known for following rules, social distancing, not going out if you don't feel well, etc.

If 10% of the UC population gets sick with Covid that's 5100 people.
If 1% of that 5100 dies that is 51 people and really bad press if it includes students.
And parents who sent their kids off to college will hold the university responsible.

But it is not one percent in groups under 30 years old. It is more like .015 percent. Seven students would be much more accurate.

For that age group the rate is actually .8% (based on what we know now) so my data while off by .02% is closer to correct than yours of .015% and mine is sourced by a recent news source while your data is pulled from ????

"In the vast majority of younger adults, covid-19 appears to result in mild illness with the risk of more severe consequences rising with every decade of age. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data, 0.8 percent of U.S. deaths as of Apr. 18 were in people ages 25 to 34; 2 percent among those 35 to 44; and 5.4 percent among those 45 to 54."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

Of the 5100 infected at a death rate of .8% that is 40. 40 potential wrongful death lawsuits. This does not include those who might sue because they live through covid but their health is permanently altered.

Even if you are ok with 40 students dying from Covid, what about the people who get infected from asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic students bringing the Coronavirus home to their families or visit businesses around campus?

In choosing to bring people together en masse, the virus spread has to be considered beyond the initial infected to those they contact with.

College students will still go home and will go out and about Clifton even if they don't feel well, have a cough, or runny nose because they are college kids — so the proliferation of Covid beyond the borders of campus will take the number of deaths associated with the UC campus higher.

Read your link and it does not say that .8 percent of people under 30 die from Covid. They use a band between 25 to 34 to get to that number. "According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data, 0.8 percent of U.S. deaths as of Apr. 18 were in people ages 25 to 34." Since you want a link, I think this view is more accurate based on my experience and knowledge. "By those numbers, COVID-19 almost begins to look like a different disease from one age group to another. For those under the age of 45, COVID-19 has a case fatality rate of about 0.1 percent — roughly the all-ages fatality rate of the seasonal flu (though, as a novel virus, it is considerably more infectious)." https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/covid-targets-the-elderly-why-dont-our-prevention-efforts.html

Did a little more research and nation wide there have been 59 deaths out of 7452 tested from Covid with ages between 15-24. https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku This gets you to your .8 percent. I guess the disconnect is the belief in the number. I am of the belief that far more people have had the virus in this age group. I think the British study I listed above is correct because a far greater percentage of people were tested.

So based on both of our research we can honestly say we don't know. We are learning and adjusting almost daily and having to use the anecdotal evidence that we do have to aid in decision making.

We do not know for certain what will happen if we gather en masse but we do know the results of the spread in an en masse example...NOLA during Marde Gras.

We do not know for certain what will happen for on a college campus but we do know what has happened in areas of dense concentrated living in NYC and Detroit.

Because we don't know…
It is better to approach with caution.

Agree, I get frustrated by folk that refuse to move the ball forward even if their is an inkling of risk. I agree with caution, just not stagnation.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Nobones - 05-17-2020 10:39 AM

So just heard on 700WLW that they are starting to sell season tickets for Football. So that is one step closer to playing football this season.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - bearcatlawjd2 - 05-17-2020 10:51 AM

(05-17-2020 10:39 AM)Nobones Wrote:  So just heard on 700WLW that they are starting to sell season tickets for Football. So that is one step closer to playing football this season.

Selling season tickets is both crazy and offensive. The chances of a season with full fan attendance is very low, the colleges need to stop playing people for dumb just so they can take their money.

I all for trying to find a way to play sports. I want sports back now but normal sports are probably not happening in 2020.

I am actually on board with going online this fall and playing sports. Athletes, personal, and few other academic programs that require in person instruction can be on campus. I would allow for student opt outs without them losing their scholarship.

As a society we still don't have testing, tracing, and treatment at the level needed to resume normal activity. I thought we had a chance to get there in the fall but it looks like we stopped that and just said go for it without any national plan in place.

Online classes, remote work, and bans on mass gathering should still be in place for the rest of the year. Even with those we can still move the economy forward and get a lot done including sports with little to no fans in attendance.

I think we need to watch what happens with MLB this summer. I know money is a huge issue but if they can execute a season without further disruption then I would feel better about a 2020 football season.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-17-2020 11:09 AM

Bundesliga started their season again without fans. Many other soccer leagues are starting in June. With Baseball and MLS soccer likely coming back sometime in the summer, we should have a decent idea of how to conduct sports without fans this fall

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - mptnstr@44 - 05-17-2020 11:13 AM

(05-17-2020 10:51 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 10:39 AM)Nobones Wrote:  So just heard on 700WLW that they are starting to sell season tickets for Football. So that is one step closer to playing football this season.

Selling season tickets is both crazy and offensive. The chances of a season with full fan attendance is very low, the colleges need to stop playing people for dumb just so they can take their money.

I all for trying to find a way to play sports. I want sports back now but normal sports are probably not happening in 2020.

I am actually on board with going online this fall and playing sports. Athletes, personal, and few other academic programs that require in person instruction can be on campus. I would allow for student opt outs without them losing their scholarship.

As a society we still don't have testing, tracing, and treatment at the level needed to resume normal activity. I thought we had a chance to get there in the fall but it looks like we stopped that and just said go for it without any national plan in place.

Online classes, remote work, and bans on mass gathering should still be in place for the rest of the year. Even with those we can still move the economy forward and get a lot done including sports with little to no fans in attendance.

I think we need to watch what happens with MLB this summer. I know money is a huge issue but if they can execute a season without further disruption then I would feel better about a 2020 football season.

I don't know that I am offended but…
it does smack of get their season ticket money in hand asap
and then if there isn't a season...ask them to leave it as a donation.

The rationale being it is much easier to ask for someone to donate in lieu of getting a refund for money they've already paid…
than tell your fans a few weeks from now there isn't going to be a season but send us the money you would've paid for tickets as a donation anyway.

Smacks of a calculated cash grab.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - mptnstr@44 - 05-17-2020 11:19 AM

I believe there is a fairly large portion of the population that believes this is no big deal, was blown out of proportion, and all is well now to go completely back to normal.

My sibling is a doc in the Covid ICU at JHU (Johns Hopkins University Hospital) and has been a doc for almost 30 years and says this is not anywhere near something normal. Their Covid ICU floors are like something out of the movie Contagion.

This virus gets people really sick, they can't breathe, and they die...while many are elderly or compromised not all are and the ones that aren't it is inexplicable as to why the virus that is mild for some attacks others so harshly.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - natibeast21 - 05-17-2020 12:15 PM

Offensive: They aren’t forcing anyone to buy them lol?

Crazy:
1) If someone is worried about losing money then hold off on buying them until official statements are made.
2) If someone is worried about COVID-19 then don’t buy them year.

I’m sure they’ll give money back if fans can’t attend, but I’m sure most people buying them now would just donate the money. Makes sense to me to start getting a better look on the financials of the athletic department.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Bruce Monnin - 05-17-2020 12:32 PM

I am less worried about football games than basketball games.

There have been studies out of England showing that the virus almost never transfers out of doors. Don't know why yet. Could be the ultraviolet light, air flow, or just healthier, younger people tend to be outside.

However, basketball in an indoor gym could be more of a problem.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - mptnstr@44 - 05-17-2020 12:46 PM

With the Bundeliga underway we will have a better idea of the viability of open air team sports without fans as an option.
Have to watch and see if the players get sick with the Covid.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - dubcat14 - 05-17-2020 12:46 PM

(05-17-2020 11:13 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  

I don't know that I am offended but…
it does smack of get their season ticket money in hand asap
and then if there isn't a season...ask them to leave it as a donation.

The rationale being it is much easier to ask for someone to donate in lieu of getting a refund for money they've already paid…
than tell your fans a few weeks from now there isn't going to be a season but send us the money you would've paid for tickets as a donation anyway.

Smacks of a calculated cash grab.

For reference of what FCC is doing for their season tickets of roughly 18 games, you can forward any money spent this year on season tickets to next year plus you get a 10% account credit (obviously FCC's preferred option so they keep money in hand) or you can directly ask for a refund. With the new stadium opening next year, I'm sure a lot of people are just taking credits for next year. UC can do the same and it locks in perspective season ticket holders.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - doss2 - 05-18-2020 06:23 AM

This would be a game changer!

SORRENTO’S STI-1499, A Potent Anti-SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, Demonstrates Ability To Completely Inhibit In Vitro Virus Infection In Preclinical Studies

STI-1499 Antibody has demonstrated in preclinical experiments (full results will be submitted to a peer-reviewed publication shortly):

·
100% inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 virus infection of healthy cells after four days incubation

·
Specific binding to S1 subunit of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein and complete blockade of its interaction with ACE2 receptor

SAN DIEGO, May 15, 2020 -- Sorrento Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: SRNE, “Sorrento”) announced today that its anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibody, STI-1499, demonstrated 100% inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 virus infection in an in vitro virus infection experiment at a very low antibody concentration.

As recently announced, Sorrento aims to generate an antibody cocktail product that would act as a “protective shield” against SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus infection and remain effective even if virus mutations render a single antibody therapy less effective over time.

Sorrento has been diligently screening billions of antibodies in its proprietary G-MABTM fully human antibody library and has so far identified hundreds of antibody candidates that bind the S1 subunit of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein. Approximately one dozen of these antibodies have demonstrated the ability to block the S1 protein’s interaction with human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), the receptor used for viral entrance into human cells. These blocking antibodies were further tested for their ability to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 virus infection in an in vitro SARS-CoV-2 virus infection model pursuant to a preclinical testing agreement for COVID-19 therapeutic candidates that was previously announced on March 31, 2020 (Sorrento Therapeutics).

Among the antibodies showing neutralizing activity, one antibody stood out for its ability to completely block SARS-CoV-2 infection of healthy cells in the experiments. STI-1499 completely neutralized the virus infectivity at a very low antibody dose, making it a prime candidate for further testing and development. Initial biochemical and biophysical analyses also indicate STI-1499 is a potentially strong antibody drug candidate.

Sorrento has determined STI-1499 will likely be the first antibody in the antibody cocktail (COVI-SHIELD™) it is developing, as recently announced. STI-1499 is also expected to be developed as a stand-alone therapy, (COVI-GUARDTM) because of the high potency it has exhibited in experiments to date. Sorrento plans to request priority evaluation and accelerated review from regulators to determine the best pathway to make any potential treatment available as soon as possible. Sorrento’s existing state-of-the-art cGMP antibody manufacturing facility in San Diego is expected to be able to produce up to two hundred thousand doses per month and the Company intends to produce a million doses at risk while seeking FDA approval for any STI-1499 product candidate. The Company is seeking potential government support and pharmaceutical partners to further scale up STI-1499 manufacturing capacity with a goal of potentially providing tens of millions of doses in a short period of time to meet the vast projected demand.

“Our STI-1499 antibody shows exceptional therapeutic potential and could potentially save lives following receipt of necessary regulatory approvals. We at Sorrento are working day and night to complete the steps necessary to get this product candidate approved and available to the waiting public,” stated Dr. Henry Ji, Chairman and CEO of Sorrento.

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - OKIcat - 05-18-2020 10:34 AM

(05-18-2020 06:23 AM)doss2 Wrote:  This would be a game changer!

SORRENTO’S STI-1499, A Potent Anti-SARS-CoV-2 Antibody, Demonstrates Ability To Completely Inhibit In Vitro Virus Infection In Preclinical Studies

STI-1499 Antibody has demonstrated in preclinical experiments (full results will be submitted to a peer-reviewed publication shortly):

·
100% inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 virus infection of healthy cells after four days incubation

·
Specific binding to S1 subunit of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein and complete blockade of its interaction with ACE2 receptor

SAN DIEGO, May 15, 2020 -- Sorrento Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: SRNE, “Sorrento”) announced today that its anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibody, STI-1499, demonstrated 100% inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 virus infection in an in vitro virus infection experiment at a very low antibody concentration.

As recently announced, Sorrento aims to generate an antibody cocktail product that would act as a “protective shield” against SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus infection and remain effective even if virus mutations render a single antibody therapy less effective over time.

Sorrento has been diligently screening billions of antibodies in its proprietary G-MABTM fully human antibody library and has so far identified hundreds of antibody candidates that bind the S1 subunit of the SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein. Approximately one dozen of these antibodies have demonstrated the ability to block the S1 protein’s interaction with human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), the receptor used for viral entrance into human cells. These blocking antibodies were further tested for their ability to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 virus infection in an in vitro SARS-CoV-2 virus infection model pursuant to a preclinical testing agreement for COVID-19 therapeutic candidates that was previously announced on March 31, 2020 (Sorrento Therapeutics).

Among the antibodies showing neutralizing activity, one antibody stood out for its ability to completely block SARS-CoV-2 infection of healthy cells in the experiments. STI-1499 completely neutralized the virus infectivity at a very low antibody dose, making it a prime candidate for further testing and development. Initial biochemical and biophysical analyses also indicate STI-1499 is a potentially strong antibody drug candidate.

Sorrento has determined STI-1499 will likely be the first antibody in the antibody cocktail (COVI-SHIELD™) it is developing, as recently announced. STI-1499 is also expected to be developed as a stand-alone therapy, (COVI-GUARDTM) because of the high potency it has exhibited in experiments to date. Sorrento plans to request priority evaluation and accelerated review from regulators to determine the best pathway to make any potential treatment available as soon as possible. Sorrento’s existing state-of-the-art cGMP antibody manufacturing facility in San Diego is expected to be able to produce up to two hundred thousand doses per month and the Company intends to produce a million doses at risk while seeking FDA approval for any STI-1499 product candidate. The Company is seeking potential government support and pharmaceutical partners to further scale up STI-1499 manufacturing capacity with a goal of potentially providing tens of millions of doses in a short period of time to meet the vast projected demand.

“Our STI-1499 antibody shows exceptional therapeutic potential and could potentially save lives following receipt of necessary regulatory approvals. We at Sorrento are working day and night to complete the steps necessary to get this product candidate approved and available to the waiting public,” stated Dr. Henry Ji, Chairman and CEO of Sorrento.

If this passes muster in clinical studies, it's good news all could agree upon as it could expedite re-opening the nation. I say "news we all could agree upon..." though I fear some may still prefer a shutdown. But that's another conversation.

Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Cataclysmo - 05-18-2020 11:47 AM

https://www.biocentury.com/article/305211

There are about 8-10 vaccine candidates in pre-clinical trials right now, each with differing results and different therapeutic approaches. The optomistic time line, as it's been reiterated by Fauci and other scientists working on vaccines, is to have Phase 3 clinical trials conducted by the end of the year. Meaning that a best case scenario would put the widespread implementation and development of a vaccine at the end of Football season/Early 2021.

An interesting caveat to all of this is that if one vaccine is successful, we don't know how practical it would be to develop and distribute. For instance, the Moderna vaccines use genetically modified mRNA strands as vectors for delivery. What if this technology is unique to their R&D, and other Biotech corporations don't have the resources in place to produce it on a global scale? What happens then?

Conversely, what happens if multiple vaccines are successful, but to different extents? How do you decide on a delivery paradigm?

RE: Do you think there will be a 2020 college FB season? - Ragpicker - 05-18-2020 11:57 AM

What happens if NASCAR held an event without fans, and without the huge economic impact on the local community, and virtually nobody noticed?

What happens if the the PGA holds an event in Florida with four of the biggest names in golf, without any fans or impact to the local economy, and virtually nobody noticed?

Who actually watched? Who won? IMHO - who cares?

Without fans stimulating the local economies, these events only stimulated the TV ad revenue. Wonder why so many ads and TV commentators say "Stay Home - Stay Safe"